The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Trying to save the planet the fastlane way

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
Hi all,

Long years since my first read of TMF . I read a ton of books on business, all books from MJ of course, but also other great stuff. Being a med student, I was focused on my studies and never really tried entrepreneurship despite my strong desire to create something bigger than me, and my will of more freedom...

After getting my diploma, I tried the fox web school, which is awesome. I learned a ton of things, it changed my mindset and point of view. But I didn't put the hours to become a freelancer on webdesign. I sold 3 websites to learn the ropes, and then I stopped. It's probably a mistake... I didn't have the balls to do it 100%, doing surgery was more comfortable and felt safer. I didn't want my patients to see that I was also a webdesign freelancer, it felt weird. Also, to make more money as a webdesigner, than as a surgeon, hourly rate speaking, would take many time and effort and it didn't seem like a deal I wanted to take, even if it's probably a mistake from me since I would have learned much more by doing. I still think that if I had a classic corporate job, I would have loved going this way. But, in my own situation, I'd rather start directly a business, resting on a product, not a service.

I've been "looking for a great idea" for years but never really acted upon it. I always convince myself it's not good enough for x or y reasons. Like many people here, I guess. I have many limiting beliefs. I am reluctant to become a beginner once again and feel like a fool ; I don't want to create something that is not "moral" or ecologic, and in my head most businesses contributes to the destruction of the environnement (surgery too, btw), even if they provide good value, so I didn't engage with anything. I am aware that those are also bullshit excuses to prevent action taking... Because like most, I'm afraid... Since I don't have much free time, I'm scared to spend many of it on a bad idea for nothing.

I finally found and thought about a process that I could follow despite those limiting beliefs I have.

I will start from people, not from an Idea of mine. And I will start it in a field that is moral, so that it's not only a financial end, but also something useful for the planet.

The global warming is a crazy problem, but nobody seem to change their way of life, because they prefer to keep their comfort. I get it.

So I decided to see if I could create a product that could make being more ecologic easier.

I subscribed on a french Vegan forum, since animal exploitation is a big part of global warming, and asked people there for problems or difficulties.

I will keep talking with them, or others forums related to veganism, ecology, or other niche that speaks to my moral self, and look for problems to solve.

Once I find some problems I'm interested in, I will try to think about solutions. Then try to test them by pre-selling, mock designs, etc... To get a solid validation before comitting time, which is right now my most precious ressource.

And then... Well, we'll see! Let's take one step at a time !

So, next action : answer to all the messages I get on the forum, try to start discussions, and ask good questions. If there is not enough answers next weekend, I'll do the same on another forum.

It'll be a slow process, I can't rush it, I have my private practice to develop as a safety net (hopefully one day it will be just a hobby), my newborn to care about... But I will pave this way, one rock at a time. My actual goal is to keep moving, even if it's little by little. Act, assess, adapt... Small things and habits that accumulate can lead to great stuff. I am a big sceptic, but once I believe I have something, I can quickly become obsessed and advance like a bulldozer...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
Quick update,
Not a lot of answers on the forum. A very nice girl told me she did a big poll some months ago on forums, facebook groups, ... with approximatively the same question. Turns out, the majority of vegans wanted :
- vegan cafés/restaurants
- vegan stores
- vegan aisles in the stores

I think it was a closed answer poll so there was not really an "option" for a simpler products. One idea I had was needed by only 1% of people so I think I'm going to let go of this one.

I'm very busy with other stuff right now, I'll wait for more answer till december.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
The most environmentally productive thing you can do is depopulation

Donate to the bill and melinda gates fund and they'll do the rest.

“The world today has 6.8 billion people. That’s headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent" - Bill Gates 4:32 minute mark during his Ted Talk

View: https://youtu.be/JaF-fq2Zn7I?t=272

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
The most environmentally productive thing you can do is depopulation

Donate to the bill and melinda gates fund and they'll do the rest.

“The world today has 6.8 billion people. That’s headed up to about nine billion. Now, if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by, perhaps, 10 or 15 percent" - Bill Gates 4:32 minute mark during his Ted Talk

View: https://youtu.be/JaF-fq2Zn7I?t=272
That's true but I'm looking for an ethical idea that could provide value to everyone not necessarily the "most" ecological solution!

Tony100

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 11, 2020
Turns out, the majority of vegans wanted :
- vegan cafés/restaurants
- vegan stores
- vegan aisles in the stores
There's a supply chain behind each vegan restaurant/store and there might be opportunities there.

Maybe do some research into what problems these vegan businesses have. Is it difficult for vegan restaurants/stores to find good vegan suppliers? Do they struggle to recruit staff that are interested in veganism or vegan cooks? How do they advertise their business? Certain products are difficult to source?

Like you did with the vegan facebook group, there are likely to be similar groups for vegan business owners. Contact some stores and ask questions, visit them, even volunteer at one for a day.

Once you find a problem, start to work on solving it by doing more research on this problem. Even if the idea is only "good" and not "great" - while researching idea #1, you will discover different problems you could solve that are better ideas. You find a great idea while working on the original idea. The key is starting and taking action.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I hope this isn't hijacking your thread, but I've been thinking about this from an even broader perspective.

I know a lot of people, particularly older folks, who have time on their hands and very little purpose.

I also know there are lots of people out there trying to make the world a better place who are in desperate need of help (saving the planet would be one subsection of this, but so would mentoring others, restocking a food bank, etc. etc.)

Is there an all-in-one resource out there that people can turn to when they want to find an outlet for their willingness to help out? Yes, you can just Google it, but it seems that there would be value in working to coordinate the willing helpers with those in need of help. Does that already exist?

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
I hope this isn't hijacking your thread, but I've been thinking about this from an even broader perspective.

I know a lot of people, particularly older folks, who have time on their hands and very little purpose.

I also know there are lots of people out there trying to make the world a better place who are in desperate need of help (saving the planet would be one subsection of this, but so would mentoring others, restocking a food bank, etc. etc.)

Is there an all-in-one resource out there that people can turn to when they want to find an outlet for their willingness to help out? Yes, you can just Google it, but it seems that there would be value in working to coordinate the willing helpers with those in need of help. Does that already exist?
Not a bad idea, I guess craiglist and similar websites does the job ?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I’m not vegan and I don’t believe it’s better for the environment or health

And that’s because of one reason

These new vegan products are just cheap rubbish, soy, seed oils, wheat, chemicals, turned into a paste and flavoured

Being vegan for the environment is a scam designed to get people to eat this crap

And people are starting to work that out

This anti seed oil trend is becoming bigger and bigger

And vegans are going to be the ones getting hammered with it the most because people love telling them how they think they are healthy and environmentally friendly but aren’t

These are people who care what they eat and care about their health

Some of them care about animals

Most will never go back to eating meat, even if it’s purely just to save face and not have to admit they were wrong, this is their identity now

But they aren’t about to keep eating the fake crap once they work out how bad it is for them

So what will they eat? They love the fake meat etc, the easy convenient food

But now they know it’s not healthy and they shouldn’t be eating it

So maybe you can make some vegan products that are seed oil free

It shocks me going into my local organic shop and seeing organic sauce, vegan sauce etc and seeing they are all full of canola oil

Also random environmental rant but why isn’t polystyrene illegal? Cardboard can be used in its place in almost every situation but every time I buy something I get tons of it to dispose of

Everyone banning straws and bags and making life hard but polystyrene is still everywhere when it could just be replaced with cardboard

There’s so many fastlane ways to save the environment so I’m onboard with your goal completely

Make being environmentally friendly easier and more pleasant than not and that is how we solve this problem, not with waiting for stupid laws and random campaigns

Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
552%
Apr 17, 2022
animal exploitation is a big part of global warming
To the best of my knowledge, animal agriculture accounts for about 3% of the total carbon emissions.

Global warming is a very complicated problem and I don't think that selling vegan coffee will move the needle in the right direction.

If you really want to "save the planet", perhaps you should focus on the energy sector.

FreakyThomas

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jun 26, 2017
Nice, France
Thank you !
I totally agree with your last sentence
It is true that some vegans are in just for the trend, and not really useful for the planet in any way
But some of them are truly interested in making the world a better and cleaner place, and try to eat local, in-season vegetables
That does have a great impact at an individual scale.

I think a great idea would be to create a franchise of a vegan fast food who would source lolca, organic, in season products. I don't know if there is a huge demand for it, but that would really make eating better (health wise and planet wise) easier. But I'm sure I have broad enough shoulders for this !!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.