The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No More Action Faking, Should I execute?

Idea threads

TeacherToOwner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Mar 1, 2021
Good Evening my Fastlaners,

I made a post on here introducing myself on March 2021. Since then I've made absolutely no progress towards the Fastlane.

Long story short, I was working as a teacher. I went back for an additional degree to become a school Administrator. I moved to a different part of the state to take a job which I essentially hate. I moved away from my friends and family to pursue a career that pays (a lot) more, but in doing so I have traded time for money. Now, I'm in a difficult position serving in a bureaucratic, cut throat, and ruthless environment.

After having multiple negative experiences at my job, I started the Fastlane pursuit (again). For the last few months I've been looking for businesses for sale on Flippa. I also brain stormed a ton of ideas. My last post mentioned the ideas of starting a jewelry business, or an education consultation business. I also bought Un-Scripted as I haven't read TMF since 2017. Every night before bed for 30 minutes I read and process what I must do.

I know that no one can spoon feed me and tell me what to do. I'm accepting of the fact that this isn't easy, and no one is going to turn key me an idea and the steps to execute that idea. I DO know that I must stop action faking and DO something before I'm stuck in this same position a year from now, (or 10 years from now).

Since I've ruled against starting an Education Consultation business (I didn't think there was a demand, and I think schools offer many, many free resources to teachers, administrators, etc) a big part of me says I should just go ahead with the jewelry business. I originally didn't pursue it as I thought there was too much competition, very few barriers to entry, and I essentially would have no competitive advantage. Now my thought process is ,'why not start it?' There are millions of many similar businesses. If I have a good product, good customer service, marketing skills, and a will to win, then why can't I make this work? I figure I could do this as a side hustle. I could get a few samples, start a website and social media, get some pictures and content, and begin marketing affordable pieces until the business grows. And although it *might* not be Fastlane, it could grow and provide me a nice living, which would offer me what I don't have now: Freedom!

I'm not finding any businesses for sale that I believe in on the internet, and my other ideas don't seem worth pursuing. My thought process is take this idea (Jewelry store) and make it work, no matter what.

I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts before I pull the trigger.

Thank you in advance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee

I made a post on here introducing myself on March 2021. Since then I've made absolutely no progress towards the Fastlane.

Long story short, I was working as a teacher. I went back for an additional degree to become a school Administrator. I moved to a different part of the state to take a job which I essentially hate. I moved away from my friends and family to pursue a career that pays (a lot) more, but in doing so I have traded time for money. Now, I'm in a difficult position serving in a bureaucratic, cut throat, and ruthless environment.

After having multiple negative experiences at my job, I started the Fastlane pursuit (again). For the last few months I've been looking for businesses for sale on Flippa. I also brain stormed a ton of ideas. My last post mentioned the ideas of starting a jewelry business, or an education consultation business. I also bought Un-Scripted as I haven't read TMF since 2017. Every night before bed for 30 minutes I read and process what I must do.

I know that no one can spoon feed me and tell me what to do. I'm accepting of the fact that this isn't easy, and no one is going to turn key me an idea and the steps to execute that idea. I DO know that I must stop action faking and DO something before I'm stuck in this same position a year from now, (or 10 years from now).

Since I've ruled against starting an Education Consultation business (I didn't think there was a demand, and I think schools offer many, many free resources to teachers, administrators, etc) a big part of me says I should just go ahead with the jewelry business. I originally didn't pursue it as I thought there was too much competition, very few barriers to entry, and I essentially would have no competitive advantage. Now my thought process is ,'why not start it?' There are millions of many similar businesses. If I have a good product, good customer service, marketing skills, and a will to win, then why can't I make this work? I figure I could do this as a side hustle. I could get a few samples, start a website and social media, get some pictures and content, and begin marketing affordable pieces until the business grows. And although it *might* not be Fastlane, it could grow and provide me a nice living, which would offer me what I don't have now: Freedom!

I'm not finding any businesses for sale that I believe in on the internet, and my other ideas don't seem worth pursuing. My thought process is take this idea (Jewelry store) and make it work, no matter what.

Thank you in advance
Well, reread your Post Title. "No More Faking it, Should I execute". That phrase is a juxtaposition of itself. You are conflicted wanting to take the leap but still considering and deciding. My friend, go for it. I would analyze the angles of the market you want to enter either in jewelry or in Education Consulting (Which btw, people will pay for a service if its better than the free service, its why people by drinks at restaurants instead of asking for free water). Do a SWOT analysis on the Strengths you bring to the idea, and the market. Weaknesses and vulnerabilities such as your current job which may affect the growth of your business. Opportunities - For you and how you can expand in sales and in promotions along with income but also opportunities for the customer (the idea is the business is making an experience for your customers even in jewelry and simple sales). Threats - Competition, Extra stressors from your job, etc. Find a plan that works for you, know your strengths and know them well but also know your weaknesses. Then when established, employ your plan and tactics and start your company in whatever service or goods - Education or Jewelry. You've got exigence now find a way to make purpose behind that exigence. You obviously don't want to be at your current job and you know you shouldn't be, that's why your here. With proper care, planning and expectations you can achieve your goal and do what you truly want. As Sun Tzu said " Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win". Get a plan, have the mindset, have the grit and integrity to win and get where you want and don't downplay yourself - it's not easy because not everyone is doing it but if it was impossible, then there wouldn't be competition - It doesn't hurt to explore and test your idea, maybe make some jewelry or show a product to your friends and family and see if they like it and if they do, that may be a clear indicator that other people will to and there is a market. Best of luck on your journey, I hope this helps. Keep me posted on progress!

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Since I've ruled against starting an Education Consultation business (I didn't think there was a demand, and I think schools offer many, many free resources to teachers, administrators, etc
Did you even try to sell something to see if there was a demand or did you just think you couldn't do it?
a big part of me says I should just go ahead with the jewelry business. I originally didn't pursue it as I thought there was too much competition, very few barriers to entry, and I essentially would have no competitive advantage
Again with the think and not try.

You didn't even bother to reply to your last thread.

Did you even read the replies?

And now you post another thread.

Stop thinking and start doing.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
Did you even try to sell something to see if there was a demand or did you just think you couldn't do it?

Again with the think and not try.

You didn't even bother to reply to your last thread.

Did you even read the replies?

And now you post another thread.

Stop thinking and start doing.
Facts, I don't know who said it but "The thinkers need to start doing and the doers need to start thinking", also from what it looked they made an assumption without making a market analysis for the Education Consulting. They may be very misguided or don't know what to do, but as you said I would like a response so we can help the person to make decisions and give guidance otherwise it was a waste to type all that. You are completely right - Stop Thinking and Start Doing

Edit: I saw their previous post just now: It's fine to have variety but too scattered of niches, they're already working in education, they should stick with it if there is truly is value and need after a proper market evaluation in that position, otherwise jewelry. I think they think this may be as easy as doing and they're also thinking circles around themselves to where they can't make a decision

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jan 18, 2022

Thank you in advance
Hey friend, I'm 100% ready to play devil's advocate.

Teaching is a legitimately perfect industry to begin in, especially for entrepreneurs. You are right: most schools offer tons of free resources for teachers/staff/etc. However, there is still an INSANE amount of potential here that you can make money from. Legitimately anything that makes a teacher's life easier during their day-to-day.

To start: ask yourself this: "what is something in my field that *I* struggle with?" I can promise you if it's an issue YOU'VE dealt with, it's an issue OTHERS have dealt with. Off the top of my head? Apps to help with grading, tutoring, lesson planning, etc. I recently heard about some company (can't recall the name) that offers 24/7, 365 remote tutoring for students. Why wasn't this a thing 10+ years ago? I probably would've done better in school.

I have an app idea for this sector, actually, that's going to take my years to develop, simply because I don't have the knowledge in this industry. But you can bet your a$$, if I execute as I'm planning, it WILL be successful (based on market research).

Brand new ideas are beyond rare, especially in a world of Apple, Amazon, Google, etc. However, if you approach your industry with the right mentality/goals/intentions, your options will forever be endless.

TeacherToOwner

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Mar 1, 2021
Hey friend, I'm 100% ready to play devil's advocate.

Teaching is a legitimately perfect industry to begin in, especially for entrepreneurs. You are right: most schools offer tons of free resources for teachers/staff/etc. However, there is still an INSANE amount of potential here that you can make money from. Legitimately anything that makes a teacher's life easier during their day-to-day.

To start: ask yourself this: "what is something in my field that *I* struggle with?" I can promise you if it's an issue YOU'VE dealt with, it's an issue OTHERS have dealt with. Off the top of my head? Apps to help with grading, tutoring, lesson planning, etc. I recently heard about some company (can't recall the name) that offers 24/7, 365 remote tutoring for students. Why wasn't this a thing 10+ years ago? I probably would've done better in school.

I have an app idea for this sector, actually, that's going to take my years to develop, simply because I don't have the knowledge in this industry. But you can bet your a$$, if I execute as I'm planning, it WILL be successful (based on market research).

Brand new ideas are beyond rare, especially in a world of Apple, Amazon, Google, etc. However, if you approach your industry with the right mentality/goals/intentions, your options will forever be endless.

Thank you, and everyone who responded to this thread and/or the previous one.

I didn't even think about it like this. And now that I'm a bit more open minded to the Education Consultation business I see possibilities. For example, there more barriers to entry for this type of business. People would need school experience on different levels, from teaching to administration. People would need resources, connections with other educators; all things I have. Perhaps my degrees weren't a complete waste as I can use them as leverage to start and build this business.

As far as providing valuable services, after quickly brainstorming I came up with a few I've thought about (and maybe mentioned in the past), and a few additional ones:
1) Helping teachers lesson plan, for the general academic year and/or before an observation
2) Help with interviewing for educational jobs
3) Help with setting up Ny state teaching pensions and/or retirement
4) Behavior management
5) General consultation for navigating the educational climate (i.e. dealing with administrators, co-workers, students, student events, etc)
6) Field trip planning
7) Fundraising in schools
8) Planning assessments for students
9) Reviewing teacher assessment rubrics
10) Dealing with difficult parents

Perhaps this could work...

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee

I didn't even think about it like this. And now that I'm a bit more open minded to the Education Consultation business I see possibilities. For example, there more barriers to entry for this type of business. People would need school experience on different levels, from teaching to administration. People would need resources, connections with other educators; all things I have. Perhaps my degrees weren't a complete waste as I can use them as leverage to start and build this business.

As far as providing valuable services, after quickly brainstorming I came up with a few I've thought about (and maybe mentioned in the past), and a few additional ones:
1) Helping teachers lesson plan, for the general academic year and/or before an observation
4) Behavior management
5) General consultation for navigating the educational climate (i.e. dealing with administrators, co-workers, students, student events, etc)
6) Field trip planning

Awesome! This is the beginning to your freedom! All of those things are necessary from what I've observed for teachers. You provide that and specialize in it. 10 Operations is good, personally I wouldn't expand past these 10 till you've sharpened your iron further. Make it profitable, use your skills, use your specialties, use your connections and networks, use your tools and then once established be a tree and branch out! Branch out if comfortable, and only do it if you feel ready (trying to help make a future direction).

But since the idea is fresh and new this is a good start. You can't be scared to fail because as long as you do it for the right cause in helping teachers and quitting the job that you dislike so much then it is something worth fighting for! Best of luck, keep planning, maybe ask some of your friends or networks that are teachers if they would use a product like that. I'm pushing you to a market analysis to aid in seeing it materialize, because if you have the idea and can provide it, other teachers have the idea and need it! Best of luck, keep us posted

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA

4) Behavior management
6) Field trip planning

As young Dr. Frankenstein said, "It could work!" (Young Frankenstein, 1974) This seems like a very good foundation upon which to start experimenting how this could come together and go Fastlane. If you were into YouTube, I'd say you have the topics for your first ten videos.

I would also recommend you think beyond just "teachers". Lets face it, most teachers don't have a lot of money. BUT - what if a school board, union or other teacher support organization was to pay for the courses instead of the individual teacher? I'm not saying don't pursue teachers but don't disregard other potential avenues. And to open the can of worms a little more - what about parents who are home schooling?

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Almost forgot - since you're an education professional - would it help if we assigned you homework to get you moving on this?:playful:

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jan 18, 2022

4) Behavior management
6) Field trip planning

I definitely believe you're on the right track with your ideas, and as others have said, you could very easily further expand upon what you have (e.g. going beyond teachers themselves via targeting the unions, admin, etc.).

There are always more people to help. Perhaps create a journey/execution post to assist in making yourself accountable (it has personally helped me a bit).

Good luck!

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
I definitely believe you're on the right track with your ideas, and as others have said, you could very easily further expand upon what you have (e.g. going beyond teachers themselves via targeting the unions, admin, etc.).

There are always more people to help. Perhaps create a journey/execution post to assist in making yourself accountable (it has personally helped me a bit).

Good luck!
Besides the accountability part, being able to discuss your plans helps in the decision making process. Sometimes ideas and decisions workout in our heads but are different when actually being acted on. This will ensure your progress is more accurate to your goals rather than something that may not truly make sense.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.