The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

TheGreatGatsby

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 20, 2018
Hey guys, I start this thread for action-fakers wannabe entrepreneurs like me... So last month I finished The millionaire fastlane and Unscripted , I've started reading a lot (on the fastlane forum, recommended books...), trying to search the big idea that will make me a millionaire, trying to find a need to solve that will make me filthy rich but I was going nowhere... I was thinking that I was different than the others living on the slowlane but no I was doing nothing different, nothing that bring me nearer to my goals.

This week I came across "trashtalk" videos from GaryVee, videos from alex becker, @IceCreamKid @Lex DeVille threads where they lay out blueprints to start making money as a beginner.
Now I know what I have to do, I will stop thinking about coming up with the best idea in the world but start to execute and start making money first because when we start we don't have experiences, money and failures.

I'm 18 and I'm in my first year of Mechanical Engineering and I don't like what I do so I will take action to make money so I can in 6 months stop going to college (I'm reading 6 months to 6 figures).

So for guys who are new like me START TAKING ACTION and make money before thinking of a big business, do what people are doing on the internet to make money, start copywriting, sell courses, membership, dropshipping (I did dropshipping but didn't like it because I was selling sh*tty product to my customer)...and after you can start thinking about your idea.

"English is not my native language but it's pretty good for a french guy!"

Could you please enlighten me if what I said is how we have to think as beginners or am I wrong?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to the forum. Looks like this doubles as an intro post :p

College gets lots of hate around here, but I think for STEM fields it can be incredibly useful. If you ever need to fall back, then a STEM degree is an asset. If you want to design complex systems and products, then having an engineering background is quite helpful, since you'd probably have to learn engineering concepts on the fly as opposed to already being familiar.

If you can get good grades (i.e. you're smart enough to be competent and not just quitting cuz you can't hang), then I wouldn't necessarily quit. No reason you can't build something while in college, since the coursework doesn't take up THAT much time.

TheGreatGatsby

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 20, 2018
Ahah yes thank you!

This is what I was thinking when I decided to go for mechanical engineering but recently I talked with final-year students in the engineering field and they told me that during 5 years they have learnt nothing useful and that college is a waste of time.

And yes I totally agree with you, for now I've a lot of time, college only take me 15 hours per week and I'm doing well (I aim for average), it's not very complicated. But I'm going to think about it and now I have nothing, no income so I will stick to college for now.

JFCopy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 28, 2018
Ahah yes thank you!

And yes I totally agree with you, for now I've a lot of time, college only take me 15 hours per week and I'm doing well (I aim for average), it's not very complicated. But I'm going to think about it and now I have nothing, no income so I will stick to college for now.

Hey! In my experience, it really depends on what you're using college for.

If you just go to make good grades...no one cares about that anymore (at least in the United States, and unless you're at an Ivy League university).

If, however, you look for like-minded people, make business connections within your community, ask your good professors for recommendations, and maybe do an internship or two with a good company, you're going to get a lot more out of college, even if you don't make great grades. And you'll still learn some business background that will help you when you make the big leap to entrepreneurship.

Best of luck!

TheGreatGatsby

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 20, 2018
Hey! In my experience, it really depends on what you're using college for.

If you just go to make good grades...no one cares about that anymore (at least in the United States, and unless you're at an Ivy League university).

If, however, you look for like-minded people, make business connections within your community, ask your good professors for recommendations, and maybe do an internship or two with a good company, you're going to get a lot more out of college, even if you don't make great grades. And you'll still learn some business background that will help you when you make the big leap to entrepreneurship.

Best of luck!

Thank you! Yes this is what I must do, build a network with like-minded people, make connections... Doing like this and not searching to get good great I will have new opportunities and college will not be a waste of time.

SRathwell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jun 26, 2017
Ontario Canada
I will chime in on this too. An engineering degree is extremely valuable if you are at all thinking about a product based business. The background knowledge saves enormous amounts of time and money (especially if you have to pay someone to design and review.)

I would bet that the final year students that you talked to are not on the same level that you are striving for. They are likely heading strait for the slow lane.

I have an Mechanical Engineering degree, I have a product based business in which we have designed and setup manufacturing for a electro-mechanical product without hiring any outside engineering! Sure I didn't learn everything i needed to know in school, but without it I would have never had the background knowledge to quickly learn what I did need to know!

Stay in school! Get your Engineering Degree! Start finding areas to add value and help others now. By the time you graduate you will have both the knowledge AND the experience to enter the fastlane.

Remember it is a PROCESS! (It took me a long time to truly understand this, but once I did it was like MAGIC) I wish I would have figured this our at your age!

TheGreatGatsby

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Sep 20, 2018
Thank you for your advice, it's great to ear people from the fastlane who have benefited from college. I also would like to have a product based business so it seems good to me to continue college and gain some experience to enter the fastlane. And just like you said "entrepreneurship is a PROCESS!"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.