The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Exploring Drop Streaming: A New Approach to Building an Online Music Business (Looking for Opinions)

Idea threads

alexXx9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 4, 2023
Hello Guys,

I am new here, and I want to build a good online business. I started in 2022 with Self-Publishing non-fiction books, bought a course, applied all the concepts, invested heavily, and consumed every kind of content.

I published more than 25 non-fiction books (30k words each one).
I outsourced the books creation, graphic design, and I did all the rest. I have had good success at it, with my best month being 8k/month.

I will keep growing this business because I like the passivity of it, and I developed the skills to keep building this without spending a lot of time. I did open a second account and started a new brand, which is now grossing 60-70$ per day, with a small net profit since I am investing in the marketing side to create momentum.

However, I don't like Amazon's policies. They can terminate your account without notice and withhold your last two months of royalties.
Plus, you will owe them the money you spent on advertising during that time.

A lot of people got terminated, and all they got back was a plain and general reply without even explaining why.

Some big authors used expensive lawyers to have their account back. And now, with AI, the barrier of entry is almost non-existent.

I'm not too worried about the competition, as their products tend to be of low quality.

But I don't want to be terminated for no reason from one day to another.

So, I was looking for diversification and came across the concept of drop streaming.
Drop streaming follows the same business model as Amazon self-publishing, but instead of publishing books, you are publishing music. You would need to outsource the music production, do market research, find unsaturated niches, create compelling graphic design for the covers, logo, create a music brand, and then bring traffic with marketing efforts via Facebook, TikTok, and other avenues.

Apparently, when you start to have momentum, Spotify and other music streaming platforms will promote you, and you can finish in their curated playlist or in the algorithmic playlist.

Once you get subscribers and find your niche, you increase drastically the chances to get picked up by the algorithm, and you get momentum, earning money through streaming royalties.

I don't find much info on YouTube or other forums, so I thought it might be worth pursuing. Musicians usually focus on creating the music they love instead of trying to approach this as a business and create music just for mere supply and demand.The barrier of entry is not that high if you need to outsource the music creation. However, to make this thing work, you have to learn many other skills such as paid ads, organic traffic, playlist pitching, playlist creation, creating a brand, some graphic design, market research, and being good at outsourcing the right people.

It seems like it is NOT so saturated, considering there are 500 million users on Spotify alone and that you can go wide with other platforms such as YouTube Music, Apple Music, etc.

What do you guys think about this business model? What are the pros and cons? Are there any potential pitfalls or challenges that I should be aware of? How does the competition in the drop streaming market seems to you ? I would appreciate any insights or advice you can provide.

Some good examples of successful business are Lofi Fruit, or any Lofi Channel you can find on spotify or youtube with millions of views.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Look at the numbers.

How much will it cost to acquire a subscriber?
How much will each subscriber pay you in terms of streams royalties?

There are a lot of people trying to do exactly this - look up how many tracks are uploaded every day in Spotify.

Gurus run courses on doing exactly what you’re suggesting.

If you haven’t found much info, you’re either trolling or looking for the wrong stuff in the wrong places.

LoFi is pretty simple music and that is one musical genre that will be destroyed by AI sooner or later.

I’m not sure why you made up “drop streaming”, what you’re talking about is just streaming.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
Have you looked at stock music? For example you can sell stock music on Shutterstock. I had a stock music subscription at Shutterstock, they have a lot of great music tracks, however I think there is still room for new artists, provided you can get high rankings on the Shutterstock stock music search engine. But there are other stock music providers as well.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Have you looked at stock music? For example you can sell stock music on Shutterstock. I had a stock music subscription at Shutterstock, they have a lot of great music tracks, however I think there is still room for new artists, provided you can get high rankings on the Shutterstock stock music search engine. But there are other stock music providers as well.
Stock music is usually dominated by composers working full time specifically on that. It’s good money, and also highly skilled.

Hiring someone in fiverr to make lofi beats (which is what it sounds like this guy wants to do) isn’t going to cut it

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexXx9

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Sep 4, 2023
Stock music is usually dominated by composers working full time specifically on that. It’s good money, and also highly skilled.

Hiring someone in fiverr to make lofi beats (which is what it sounds like this guy wants to do) isn’t going to cut it

This is not what i want to do, I know that LoFi is saturated, too easy, I want to really hire talented musicians, it was just an example of the concept

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023

Yes you need to upload only high-quality, original music tracks, or else Shutterstock won't even accept your application.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.