The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Andy's Google Ads Posts

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Do you have any material on bidding Andy?

Right now I have no control over my bids and it seems like Google is just trying to suck my money and put it wherever they want.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Do you have any material on bidding Andy?

Right now I have no control over my bids and it seems like Google is just trying to suck my money and put it wherever they want.
Go to the campaign settings and switch to manual bidding.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Go to the campaign settings and switch to manual bidding.
thanks. i should have had that on before

im going to start low to gauge the performance and then adjust the bids accordingly.

or should i just set the bids to what google had before?

my bids for the past 3 days are double what they were at for June 1 - 10

spent $38 dollars today with a $20 daily budget and got 0 conversions. still have a 2.5 x roi though

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
thanks. i should have had that on before

im going to start low to gauge the performance and then adjust the bids accordingly.

or should i just set the bids to what google had before?

my bids for the past 3 days are double what they were at for June 1 - 10

spent $38 dollars today with a $20 daily budget and got 0 conversions. still have a 2.5 x roi though

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
When should one consider switching to manual bidding?
I start with manual bidding so I know what's going on. I want to know how each keyword performs with the same bid.

If we consistently lose Impression Share due to budget then I may switch to Maximise Clicks.

We rarely use Maximise Conversions, mainly because of our clients aren't getting many clicks or conversions a week and/or I don't trust the conversion tracking.

Qeno

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 5, 2022
I start with manual bidding so I know what's going on. I want to know how each keyword performs with the same bid.

If we consistently lose Impression Share due to budget then I may switch to Maximise Clicks.

We rarely use Maximise Conversions, mainly because of our clients aren't getting many clicks or conversions a week and/or I don't trust the conversion tracking.
Thank you very much! I'll try it out!

mainly because of our clients aren't getting many clicks or conversions a week
May I ask why this is the case? Isn't this one of the goals of Google Ads?

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
May I ask why this is the case? Isn't this one of the goals of Google Ads?
Some clients get less than 10 clicks a week, and some at $100 per click. A lead can turn into $30k+ jobs though (once at $700k I believe).

Qeno

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 5, 2022
Some clients get less than 10 clicks a week, and some at $100 per click. A lead can turn into $30k+ jobs though (once at $700k I believe).
Quite short-sighted by me, sorry! Thank you very much! I would think it's a bit different when working like this. Could you recommend some material to learn about this?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Quite short-sighted by me, sorry! Thank you very much! I would think it's a bit different when working like this. Could you recommend some material to learn about this?
It was a good question.

Many think it's all about getting as many clicks as possible for as low a CPC as possible. Often the first optimisation step is to reduce clicks but increase their value, which might mean a higher CPC.

And some marketers think the goal is to get as many leads as possible for their client, when the client doesn't want their phone ringing with tyre-kickers.

I'm not sure what you're asking to learn. Can you clarify?

Qeno

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
May 5, 2022
It was a good question.

Many think it's all about getting as many clicks as possible for as low a CPC as possible. Often the first optimisation step is to reduce clicks but increase their value, which might mean a higher CPC.

And some marketers think the goal is to get as many leads as possible for their client, when the client doesn't want their phone ringing with tyre-kickers.

I'm not sure what you're asking to learn. Can you clarify?
Thank you very much!
I think you just answered my question regarding the material. Is there a case where clients only can get only 10 clicks per week because there isn't no more supply and it still works?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Is there a case where clients only can get only 10 clicks per week because there isn't no more supply and it still works?
I presume you meant demand rather than supply.

So long as the cost-per-sale is low enough then 10 clicks a week could work.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Hey @Andy Black just wanted to thank you for your last video on youtube about Starting and scaling Google Ads as a productised service. It is really what I want to do now and this video come at the right moment.

It make me realize than instead of trying to sell entire websites, maybe I should begin to sell traffic MVP (ad + landing) and then if working, build websites around that. It is like instead of building a big airport with no planes, I'll build just 1 landing strip and make planes come, and then only build the airport if needed. They will be built in abolute adequation of what the market want.

I have 2 questions if you don't mind:

1) In the video you speak about difference between US and Ireland. I live in Belgium so I depend on UE regulations. Is there major tweaks I need to know ? It seems that we have far more less freedom about datas in UE than they have in US.

2) Future of search marketing and manual bidding. Everybody speak about how they're going to delete manual biddings for good, and that IA or whatever will deeply change search marketing. What are you thoughts about that ?

Thanks again for the video it remotivate me. I just followed you on linkedin.

If you want me to put my questions in your youtube channel, can do.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
instead of trying to sell entire websites, maybe I should begin to sell traffic MVP (ad + landing) and then if working, build websites around that. It is like instead of building a big airport with no planes, I'll build just 1 landing strip and make planes come, and then only build the airport if needed.
What a great way of describing it. Try that story when you speak to business owners.

1) In the video you speak about difference between US and Ireland. I live in Belgium so I depend on UE regulations. Is there major tweaks I need to know ? It seems that we have far more less freedom about datas in UE than they have in US.
I can't remember what I said about the US and Ireland. Probably that it's much more competitive over there.

For the EU, we're more concious of GDPR although don't really do things much different. Even for a simple one-page site we have links in the footer to Disclaimer, Terms, and Privacy pages.

2) Future of search marketing and manual bidding. Everybody speak about how they're going to delete manual biddings for good, and that IA or whatever will deeply change search marketing. What are you thoughts about that ?
I don't speculate, I just react to what's going on. If they delete manual bidding then we'll adapt. We often start with manual bidding and then switch to maximise clicks or maximise conversions anyway.

Thanks again for the video it remotivate me. I just followed you on linkedin.
I'm glad it remotivated you. I think Google Ads is the unsexy online business model. Everyone wants to do social media and viral stuff. Awesome, you all go do that then and leave it to us to introduce people searching with money in hand to businesses that can serve them.

I've not figured out what to post on LinkedIn or Facebook. I'm almost posting one thing a day from the forum - except I'm not very consistent.

If you want me to put my questions in your youtube channel, can do.
Sure, ask these questions there and I'll post this reply. If it helps one person then it's worth doing.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
@Andy Black I've answered in your new thread, but about LinkedIn, if you want to figure out what to post on, you need a content calendar.

Generally speaking, for all social medias, it goes like that:

30% informations (infographics are great because people are so visual) to gain authority
30% engaging content (like questions, survey, ...) to make people react
30% promotions of your services (more than 30% is too pushy)

But with your 11k+ followers, recommandations and customers you are of course already ahead of that.

My advice is to ask chatGPT for your actual situation and goals. It is a really good starting point to structure a content calendar.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black I've answered in your new thread, but about LinkedIn, if you want to figure out what to post on, you need a content calendar.

Generally speaking, for all social medias, it goes like that:

30% informations (infographics are great because people are so visual) to gain authority
30% engaging content (like questions, survey, ...) to make people react
30% promotions of your services (more than 30% is too pushy)

But with your 11k+ followers, recommandations and customers you are of course already ahead of that.

My advice is to ask chatGPT for your actual situation and goals. It is a really good starting point to structure a content calendar.
Blimey. I never thought of ChatGPT.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Hey @Andy Black

I came across this video on this guy's very good channel about the future of Google Ads.

I know you don't speculate but the sooner we know the better, thought it might interest you

He base his reflexions on google's new trailer (I think this is actually on beta access in US) in essence he think that Google Ads will partially move away from textual content and integrate creatives in the future, so getting closer to FB Ads in a sense. It might change really hard.

The video is in french but the auto traduction seems ok, hope you'll find it useful

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOR_w95EKE&t=321s

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey @Andy Black

I came across this video on this guy's very good channel about the future of Google Ads.

I know you don't speculate but the sooner we know the better, thought it might interest you

He base his reflexions on google's new trailer (I think this is actually on beta access in US) in essence he think that Google Ads will partially move away from textual content and integrate creatives in the future, so getting closer to FB Ads in a sense. It might change really hard.

The video is in french but the auto traduction seems ok, hope you'll find it useful

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYOR_w95EKE&t=321s
They're already added images to responsive search ads on Google. TBH, the more people go down the PMax and "integrated creative" route with Google Ads, the more I lean into the standard text ads.

"Overthinking is the art of solving problems you don't have."

Speculating on what may Google or may not do with Google Ads isn't a good use of my time. If they remove manual bidding I'll shrug and adapt, especially when it's simple to just select Maximise Clicks and set the max CPC to our current manual bids.

Till they remove manual bidding and replace it with something else, that's not a problem I have to solve.

What changes are happening now? Where do I think the puck's going based on changes I already see?

Personally, I'm getting interested in short videos again - trying to figure out how to bulk create and upload them so they're more relevant than everyone else's. Being more relevant is how I currently win at Google Ads.

TikTok is becoming more of a search engine and YouTube videos appear in the Google SERP. That's *already* happening so I'm trying to figure out how to capitalise on it.

23Infinity

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 4, 2019
Canada
Hi Andy, just had a quick question as to how you might gauge the competitiveness of Google Ads for a particular area?

For example; "plumber Dallas".

Here is what I would know to do: I would add the top 3-5 keywords in the keyword in Keyword Planner and then check the top of page bid (low and high). This won't tell me what the average CPC will be, but it does give a rough range that I can compare to a city that I'm familiar doing a campaign in, right? Hence that way I can already tell if my avg CPC will be higher or lower, somewhat giving an idea of competitiveness

And then after that I actually google the top 1-3 search terms and see what my potential competitor's google ads and landing pages look like. Then some of the other factors too, like for example does the search term bring up Google Guaranteed results (which I think makes it tougher than if the SERP only displayed just Google text ads)

Can you please let me know if I'm missing something in terms of my process of estimating the competitiveness of a niche in a particular area? Is there anything else I can do to better guess how competitive a particular market would be?

Would appreciate your insight.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy, just had a quick question as to how you might gauge the competitiveness of Google Ads for a particular area?

For example; "plumber Dallas".

Here is what I would know to do: I would add the top 3-5 keywords in the keyword in Keyword Planner and then check the top of page bid (low and high). This won't tell me what the average CPC will be, but it does give a rough range that I can compare to a city that I'm familiar doing a campaign in, right? Hence that way I can already tell if my avg CPC will be higher or lower, somewhat giving an idea of competitiveness

And then after that I actually google the top 1-3 search terms and see what my potential competitor's google ads and landing pages look like. Then some of the other factors too, like for example does the search term bring up Google Guaranteed results (which I think makes it tougher than if the SERP only displayed just Google text ads)

Can you please let me know if I'm missing something in terms of my process of estimating the competitiveness of a niche in a particular area? Is there anything else I can do to better guess how competitive a particular market would be?

Would appreciate your insight.
Oops. I only just saw this.

I look at those estimated top of page bid (low and high) as an indicator of how much clicks will cost, and take it with a pinch of salt.

I then run campaigns to get actual data.

23Infinity

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 4, 2019
Canada
Oops. I only just saw this.

I look at those estiamted top of page bid (low and high) as an indicator of how much clicks will cost, and take it with a pinch of salt.

I then run campaigns to get actual data.

Ok pretty straightforward then, thanks.

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
If you have any questions relating to a thread, please reply to that thread instead of this master one.

If there's anything not covered, ask in here and I'll see about creating a thread for that.

A) Here's a "braindump" thread in the Speedway where I'll continuously drop content:

B) Here's all the Google Ads threads:
  1. AdWords Dude Saying Hello (<--- Intro post)
  2. (Radio interview) How to get started quickly in business
  3. The Biggest Benefit of AdWords
  4. Are You Only Buying Traffic?
  5. Your Goal Is To INCREASE CPCs
  6. What Happens When You Increase CPCs
  7. The Trick To Understanding AdWords
  8. Newbie Mistake #1 - "Limited by Budget"
  9. Launch & Learn
  10. The Single Biggest Reason People Lose Money With AdWords
  11. Don't Let Google Control Where Your Traffic Goes
  12. Hidden Dangers of Wide Funnels
  13. The Holy Trinity Of Paid Search
  14. AdWords Sneaky Extended Headlines
  15. Newbie Mistake #2 - "Our Landing Pages Don't Convert!"
  16. The Allure of Easy Money
  17. 18 Advanced AdWords Tips
  18. (Video) What's Your Problem?
  19. (Video) Online Direct Response Metrics
  20. (Video) The Most Important Formula in Business
  21. (Video) Segmenting AdWords Data By More Than One Dimension
  22. (Video) The Online Buying Lifecycle
  23. The AdWords Jumpstart (<-- 40 page HOW-TO doc in the Speedway subforum)
  24. The need for speed
  25. How to get profitable or fail fast with AdWords
  26. The What & Why of Local Lead Gen
  27. What's better than low hanging fruit?
  28. Please bid on your brand name!
  29. Lead Gen for Local Service Businesses
  30. (Video) 70 min AdWords Interview
  31. (Video) AdWords location targeting tip
  32. (Video) Segment your AdWords data!
  33. (Video) Categorising keywords with MS-Excel
  34. (Video) How I screwed up a sales pitch
  35. (Video) Local Lead Gen - simplified
  36. (Video) Andy reviews Neal's AdWords account
  37. (Video Series) Keyword & Competitor Research for Local Lead Gen
  38. Using AdWords to sell a house
  39. (Video) AdWords Keyword Research
  40. (Video) Using Pivot-Tables to analyse Google Ads data
  41. (Video) Google Ads Review - Laudromat
  42. How to contact Google Ad support via chat
  43. (Video) Google Ads Audit
  44. (Video) Keyword Research for a business that wants to sell shoes online
  45. (Video) The phone stopped ringing! Is it because of going to Level 5 lockdown?
  46. (Video) Google Ads Workshop Replay
  47. (Audio) Andy discusses Google Ads on The Subscription Box Show
  48. (Video) Tweaking a Google Ads campaign already running well
  49. (Video) How to read Google Ads metrics
  50. Starting a local lead gen project
  51. Building long-tail Google Ads campaigns for fun and profit
  52. Scaling a Productised Service with SOPs and Technology
  53. How to CHAT with Google Ads reps
  54. The Shortest Google Ads Tutorial Ever
  55. [Workshop Replay] Selling Google Ads as a Service
  56. Test Business Ideas with Google Ads - Quickly & Cheaply

Ha. Finally changed the title from "Andy's AdWords Posts" to "Andy's Google Ads Posts".
Is there any such list for YouTube Advertising?

Thanks in Advance!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Oh well, that is fine. What about Facebook Ads?
I might have seen a Facebook Ads thread or two. I know @eliquid has a big advertising thread at least.

There is a YouTube organic thread here:

Epynok

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jun 20, 2023
I might have seen a Facebook Ads thread or two. I know @eliquid has a big advertising thread at least.

There is a YouTube organic thread here:
Thanks a bunch! I am terribly sorry if I wasted your time or something like that. I am sure you are a very busy man!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.