The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

What Happens When You Increase CPCs

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

Andy Black

About to go on a video creation spree...
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
With AdWords paid search, doubling your bid price moves your ad higher up the page where you’ll get twice the CTR (mileage will vary obviously, and this doesn’t work if you’re already in top ad position).

So you’ve doubled your traffic volume.

THEN, because there are less advertisers competing for the higher ad positions (because they can’t afford the higher CPCs), your ads show more often in that higher ad position. Let’s say twice as often (aka your Impression Share has doubled).

So your ads are showing twice as often, in a higher ad position where you get double the CTR.

Which gives you quadruple the volume.

The double whammy benefit is that if you doubled your CPC because you managed to double you conversion rate and you’re just going back to your previously profitable CPA, then you’ve ended up with 8x the number of conversions.

It’s a beautiful thing when it happens.

However, there’s a downside. If you halve your CPCs, then you’re going to end up with 25% of the traffic.

So it’s knife edge stuff. Your performance can go through the roof, or crash and burn.

A sure fire symptom of you being on the wrong side of the algorithm is if you keep pushing bids to maintain ad position and maintain click volume. That means Google’s AdWords algorithm prefers your competitors campaigns to yours. You can’t really bid your way out of it (although of course it does help a bit… hence Google’s common canned advice to “bid more”).

TheDillon__

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 11, 2016
DFW
Fantastic stuff Andy, I'm reading through all of your posts right now taking notes like a madman. This is exactly what I've been looking for!

I've never been so excited to give someone my money - I can't wait to get your full course.

In this case at the end of your post, what are some ways to make Google "prefer my ad" over that of my competitors, without endlessly boosting my CPC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy Black

About to go on a video creation spree...
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
what are some ways to make Google "prefer my ad" over that of my competitors, without endlessly boosting my CPC?

Make it so Google earns more by showing your ad than by showing your competitor's ad.

How much they earn is your CPC multiplied by the number of clicks.

Google's RPM is your CPM.

Get more clicks for each 1,000 times they show your ad.

i.e. Increase your CTR.

You can increase your CTR by removing unwanted impressions (people searching for stuff you didn't want to show your ad for - typically too broad with your keyword matching).

... and by improving the relevance and attractiveness of your ad - to what the person was searching.

Check out post:

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Cool - glad to have you. And yes it should help a lot. When you are in the new group just post...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
Hey everyone, I have a big announcement to make about how we are going to be working with...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...
Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Any chance to make it available outside of US? It has been available outside of the US on...

Forum Sponsor

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom