The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(Radio interview) How to quickly get started in business

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump... with a better subject line.

I guess "Radio interview about AdWords and Business" just wasn't click-baity enough.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
Man I'm listening to this inverview over again . Man this clarified SO MUCH for me . I will now opporate 100% differently . Somebody make this a gold thread . There almost is TOO much value in this interview lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Andy you have to change that Soundcloud pic! :woot:

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 6.10.13 AM.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy you have to change that Soundcloud pic! :woot:

View attachment 12560
Haha. Not if it means I have to take myself seriously!

I even want to make that my LinkedIn profile picture.

EDIT: Thanks for sharing it on Facebook btw. Just spotted that.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
- Soundcloud has a large photo when shared so plenty of space to advertise your business/show

- Your views are quite high on that SoundCloud compared to some of your YouTube clips (not referring to the quality just that it is getting listened to/shared a more)

- You can use it to encourage people (I am no longer calling them traffic!) to find your other material.

- I can help you make up one of these if you want...

*Not that I don't think you look good!!!*

Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 6.24.05 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 6.24.30 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-11 at 6.24.49 AM.png

Last edited:

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
Another big takeaway was observing people and actually listening to people . My new biggest thing I'm putting on my daily goals is to observe people and listen to them( not just wait for my turn to talk) . Also look for ways to help people with my knowledge .

A must listen .

Thank You !

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Andy I'm listening right now. You have my attention with all you share here. You don't mind if my Fastlane is paved with your lead gen business tips? You bring unreal value.

1st take away: difference in keyword intent when adding region to search
Pave away! Hope it all helps.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I went through the whole interview, I think you told me in PM about this interview you did. Thanks for sharing it.

Things I need to do today lol are -
1) Update my clients frequently so that they know their job is taken care.
2) Think from their shoes and not from mine. This is going to change my copywriting, emails and conversations SOO much. I heard even Gary Vee talking about the importance of EQ compared to IQ in the world of business. Especially because IQ is commoditized due to Internet, and we have a super-knowledge-buddy to answer a lot of questions we might be having.
3) Genuinely care for my clients business.

And lol this can even work with girls i will be seeing.
And even to my friends and family.

This is basically about being a really good person. I like it.

Dylan Curran

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Aug 10, 2016
Ireland
Fantastic interview, really highlights how you should focus on thinking from the client's point of view, helping people first and money second.

While this is iterated constantly on the forum, the fact you illustrated it with a clear and concise example from your personal life should establish its significance in most people's minds.

Explaining your entire AdWords process was also fascinating, and I'll definitely be testing it out.

Ika

Busy Idiot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Aug 9, 2016
Germany
That is a really good radio interview, you seemed very confident. Great job answering the questions and laughing with the journalist as well!

Your personal examples made the whole topic more reasonable. My favorit parts are the appletree and your thoughts on thanking and helping people. "Helping people near your or doing the things near you or using the skills near you" makes much sense once one reads it - but it is hard to not forget that when starting out.

I will try to implement some of this in my life - Thank you for uploading!

Explaining your entire AdWords process was also fascinating, and I'll definitely be testing it out.
Yes, even though I don't want to look into the topic for now you made it easy to understand! If your other posts about adwords have the same quality I know where to go once I start :)

I wonder, why doesn't TFLF host its own podcast?
That would be an really awesome idea! Having a lot of members that can share their insights or stories to some topics would make an easier (yet interesting) start!
But for now, some members (Andy for example) create interviews or skype calls to listen too :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
SoundCloud's saying it can't find the track. Do you have a mirror?
Fixed.

Thanks for pointing it out @Akakoc. I changed the title in Soundcloud and didn't realise it would change the URL as well.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I really loved this interview.

I know that I'm particularly guilty of falling into the trap of viewing every interaction with a client (currently freelancing) as a transaction. When speaking I tend to approach "What can I do for this person, in exchange for money." Instead, I should view every interaction with a client (and every person in general) with a "How can I help them?" mindset. Maybe we all can have a problem with putting the payoff ahead of the work.

It might help to remember that we (Freelancers especially) are only paid because we offer a way to help someone out, either in business or in life. If we can't do that, we don't deserve a paycheck.

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
395%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
Great lessons learned, thank you for sharing @Andy Black!

Thinking of the metaphor Andy used towards the end, speaking of low hanging fruits while ignoring the ones already falling out of the tree...

I have been a tree shaker for years. I not only reached for the high hanging fruits, I also tried getting fruits off trees that don't even produce fruits. In some moments, I even tried to plant trees so I can grow them and harvest its fruits later.

Oh well...

People who start out tend to get so busy with "analyzing" the market that they don't see the forest for the trees. They get overwhelmed with learning new skills, developing strategies, setting up goals...

...only to stop soon after.

Action faking doesn't produce results.

The best way to kick-start your process, get real results and compress your learning is by doing one simple thing.

Go out and help someone with what you already know today.

Trust me, it's that simple. Why I know? I ignored my own skill set for years. I thought I had to learn X first, get better at Y and finally start doing Z. Turns out that I can help people and create value for them with what I already know, with what I am already good at.

"But it's not fastlane..." True. Not in the beginning. That's why there is process. If you respect the process, you'll quickly move, develop and refine your offer. People will tell you what they need, because they finally have someone who listens.

Wondering how you could potentially scale this? Paul Graham suggests: "Do Things That Don't Scale".

Gary Vaynerchuk focused on the fact that "1 > 0".

Both enjoyed vast success.

So, go out and help someone today. Do it and see what will happen.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Trust me, it's that simple. Why I know? I ignored my own skill set for years. I thought I had to learn X first, get better at Y and finally start doing Z. Turns out that I can help people and create value for them with what I already know, with what I am already good at.

Bingo! Many people really do already have skills that they can use to help others. You don't have to have 11 degrees in a discipline to know it better than most people and be able to help a nice-sized market with their problem.

This is actually how I came to do what I'm doing now. I just made a list of all the things that I know how to do, eliminated the ones that I hate doing, checked the markets for those remaining skills, came up with a system to fill the market need that could be scaled, and then validated the ideas.

I, too, ignored the things that I already knew how to do. I thought I had to come up with some kind of magical, ground-breaking idea. And when I finally learned my lesson, I am literally kicking myself for not doing this 10 years ago. Actually, I was doing it 10 years ago, but not in the way that I am now.

(Note that I say things that "could be scaled". The focus at the beginning is making sales. No need to worry too much about actually scaling - but it's good to at least have a vision of how things could be scaled from the beginning. The vision will probably change over time, but that's okay.)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bingo! Many people really do already have skills that they can use to help others. You don't have to have 11 degrees in a discipline to know it better than most people and be able to help a nice-sized market with their problem.

This is actually how I came to do what I'm doing now. I just made a list of all the things that I know how to do, eliminated the ones that I hate doing, checked the markets for those remaining skills, came up with a system to fill the market need that could be scaled, and then validated the ideas.

I, too, ignored the things that I already knew how to do. I thought I had to come up with some kind of magical, ground-breaking idea. And when I finally learned my lesson, I am literally kicking myself for not doing this 10 years ago. Actually, I was doing it 10 years ago, but not in the way that I am now.

(Note that I say things that "could be scaled". The focus at the beginning is making sales. No need to worry too much about actually scaling - but it's good to at least have a vision of how things could be scaled from the beginning. The vision will probably change over time, but that's okay.)
^^^ THIS!

Marquin Brewer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Oct 18, 2016
The biggest reason websites suck (aka How to get started in business quickly)

I did a radio interview this morning. It goes out somewhere in Dublin on Friday 03-Jun-2016.

I'm getting it transcribed, and will add the transcription to the thread.

I'll also be able to create some bullet point teasers to sell you, dear reader, on doing yourself a favour and listening to the damn thing.

Interested in your takeaways...

EDIT: Here's the second interview:
Wow great info Andy....No business cards and your a entrepreneur extraordinary. I take away from the interview a few key points.
1. Look to help first
2. Be sensitive to the customers needs
3. Give people what they ask for

I would like some feedback from you Andy. I am promoting a small business loan service. I am an independent loan broker that matches small businesses with lenders. I'm looking to to do some ppc ads to get leads and face to face contact with business owners. Do you have any recommendations on learning ppc?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wow great info Andy....No business cards and your a entrepreneur extraordinary. I take away from the interview a few key points.
1. Look to help first
2. Be sensitive to the customers needs
3. Give people what they ask for

I would like some feedback from you Andy. I am promoting a small business loan service. I am an independent loan broker that matches small businesses with lenders. I'm looking to to do some ppc ads to get leads and face to face contact with business owners. Do you have any recommendations on learning ppc?
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for listening, and listing your take-aways. There's a second part to that interview linked to in my signature.

There's a lot of AdWords posts linked to in my signature too. They might take you a few hours to go through mind!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.