The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Shortest Google Ads Tutorial Ever

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It took me HOURS to create this.

Let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions.

Hope it helps!

View: https://youtu.be/7z7kx3kJC4M

EDIT: Once you're running watch these two short videos to make sense of the metrics:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Hope it helps!

Well done Andy.

I'll add one point. Obviously if your ads are super simple, and then manually changing a single word is not a big deal. But for beginners I just want to point out that there is a find and replace feature on ads and keywords that comes in handy when duplicating ad groups or campaigns.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Well done Andy.

I'll add one point. Obviously if your ads are super simple, and then manually changing a single word is not a big deal. But for beginners I just want to point out that there is a find and replace feature on ads and keywords that comes in handy when duplicating ad groups or campaigns.
Yeah, find and replace is super handy. Thanks for the reminder.

Unlock God mode with Excel/Google sheets and Google Ads Editor...

MichelleWood

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 28, 2023
Melbourne, Australia

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thank you so much @Andy Black this is great tutorial, very straight forward. I find Google's instructions tiresome. Video a little blurry... wait maybe that's just my rubbish eyesight?
Lol. I'm tempted to edit the video and zoom in a bit more to help us with rubbish eyesight.

And yeah Google's documentation is excruciatingly tiresome, and pushes us to use their "smart" AI, which I try to avoid.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Dropping this feedback from @Cameraman here:

I just watched the 5 min video - it's pure gold.

You answered so many of the questions I struggled with when I was trying Google Ads a few months back. It would have saved me hours of research.

I'm going to try again with Google Ads when I can schedule some time in. That's not an excuse, I have my head immersed in Amazon Ads testing and how to scale them at the moment.

Seriously - thank you for publishing this. It's been added to my saved videos list.

NIK4658

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Aug 10, 2022
Italy
Andy, I have seen your course and read quite a few of your discussions on Google Ads… I can confidently say that this video is truly amazing, gets straight to the point flawlessly and covers all the major Google Ads topics , really well done

m0ntilla21

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
May 4, 2023
Wow, that's solid work.

Efficiency is the ultimate form of sophistication. Really nice job Andy.

I love the part in which, politely, you don't give a shit about Google Ad scoring. It never made sense to me either and always went ahead with what I though were solid copy headlines (with the proper pinning order!)

By the way, I use 3 buckets for pinning: #1 Brand name - #2 Benefits - #3 CTA.

I think I would only add one phrase to the video, that "monitoring the search terms daily on the first 2-3 weeks of the campaign... and adding more negative keywords, will save you thousands down the line". I think that tip is pareto for optimizing the campaigns soon.

Finally, one question for you... do you always go with 1 keyword per Ad or per adgroup? Or was just for demonstrating purposes?

On my campaigns, I have at least 8-10 keywords per ad group from the beginning and they work. But the idea of segmenting them crossed my mind recently... but maybe I am too lazy to segment them and after all they are "working" fine.

What's your take?

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Great video - but not for me. It's too fast and intense. For an advanced user, it looks fantastic.

Which leads me to invite you to engage in "promo time" for one of your courses. I looked at your "Google Ads Jumpstart" course and it look like a hard hitting to the point course PACKED full of great information. But.

I see the link to it from your post is 2.5 years old. So my question is how relevent your FULL course would be to what is being used today? The price is fantastic, and I'm sure the course is as well, based solely on your posts I have read here.

So PLEASE do promote and expound on that course - for those of us not up to speed for the course in this post. I'm sure there are many here, like me, that want an A to Z course tailored to businesspeople.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Wow, that's solid work.

Efficiency is the ultimate form of sophistication. Really nice job Andy.
Thanks @m0ntilla21. I wanted it fast and simple. Enough for people to get going, but stay out of trouble. I'm tired of all the long-winded tutorials.

I love the part in which, politely, you don't give a shit about Google Ad scoring. It never made sense to me either and always went ahead with what I though were solid copy headlines (with the proper pinning order!)
Lol. Yes, I am polite on YouTube.

By the way, I use 3 buckets for pinning: #1 Brand name - #2 Benefits - #3 CTA.
I do #1 Search Term - #2 Benefit - #3 CTA

I only put the Brand name into #1 for branded campaigns.

I think I would only add one phrase to the video, that "monitoring the search terms daily on the first 2-3 weeks of the campaign... and adding more negative keywords, will save you thousands down the line". I think that tip is pareto for optimizing the campaigns soon.
Yeah, there's loads of things we could add. I was trying to get it under 5 mins but was 30 seconds over. I'll do something separate about search terms. I didn't want to confuse someone just watching it and seeing Google Ads for the first time.

Finally, one question for you... do you always go with 1 keyword per Ad or per adgroup? Or was just for demonstrating purposes?

On my campaigns, I have at least 8-10 keywords per ad group from the beginning and they work. But the idea of segmenting them crossed my mind recently... but maybe I am too lazy to segment them and after all they are "working" fine.

What's your take?
We default to one keyword and one ad per ad group, and we name the ad group after the keyword. That's so we "link" each ad to the correct keyword (and can also see the relationship in the interface as mentioned in the video).

Sometimes we don't do one keyword per ad group if the search terms being matched by the keywords are similar enough.

Example where we would have one keyword per ad group:
1689165711940.png

Example where we would NOT have one keyword per ad group:
1689165684305.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great video - but not for me. It's too fast and intense. For an advanced user, it looks fantastic.
The video is actually for complete beginners, but I agree it's fast and intense. I wanted to create a 5 minute video to help people get up and running fast, without fear of losing loads of money. I find the other Google Ads tutorials on YouTube tiresome to watch, and not necessarily with the best strategies for beginners.

People are free to rewind, pause, replay to follow along... and partly that's my aim as it will keep them coming back or rewatching the video which I hope YouTube notices. Oh, and I want to put ad spend behind this one at some point and see who watches to the end (and maybe remarket to them).

Which leads me to invite you to engage in "promo time" for one of your courses. I looked at your "Google Ads Jumpstart" course and it look like a hard hitting to the point course PACKED full of great information. But.

I see the link to it from your post is 2.5 years old. So my question is how relevent your FULL course would be to what is being used today? The price is fantastic, and I'm sure the course is as well, based solely on your posts I have read here.

So PLEASE do promote and expound on that course - for those of us not up to speed for the course in this post. I'm sure there are many here, like me, that want an A to Z course tailored to businesspeople.
I presume you mean this course/membership:

It's up to date apart from Google no longer allowing people to set manual bids when they create a campaign. I'll have to update that part and/or redo the whole module on getting up and running fast. The short 5 min tutorial on YouTube is up to date with that part.

The memberships has lots of other modules and bonus lessons where I audit or review accounts that have been running a while.

I priced it to be accessible to more people.

You may like this higher level overview of Google Ads, presented specifically for business owners:

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
Excellent video Andy, concise and straight to the point

Btw I subscribed to your youtube channel

Thank you
The video is actually for complete beginners, but I agree it's fast and intense. I wanted to create a 5 minute video to help people get up and running fast, without fear of losing loads of money. I find the other Google Ads tutorials on YouTube tiresome to watch, and not necessarily with the best strategies for beginners.

People are free to rewind, pause, replay to follow along... and partly that's my aim as it will keep them coming back or rewatching the video which I hope YouTube notices. Oh, and I want to put ad spend behind this one at some point and see who watches to the end (and maybe remarket to them).

I presume you mean this course/membership:

It's up to date apart from the Google no longer allowing people to set manual bids when they create a campaign. I'll have to update that part and/or redo the module on getting up and running fast. The short 5 min tutorial on YouTube is up to date with that part.

The memberships has lots of other modules and bonus lessons where I audit or review accounts that have been running a while.

I priced it to be accessible to more people.

You may like this higher level overview of Google Ads, presented specifically for business owners:

I see that google is going to remove manual bidding in the next 1-2 years ? Doesn't it have a bad impact on the method you explain in your threads ?

Large part of it rely on the ability to manually increase/decrease bidding to make google algorithm "like us" by bidding low at first, to get traffic sources, and then increase CPC gradually to reduce CPA etc... ?

I feel like if google remove manual bidding, Google Ads will be less interesting for small companies because budget will become a biggest advantage, + we consultants are losing an edge over our competitors. all that without speaking of google ads becoming more and more "accessible" to neophytes or entreprenneurs who will do it themselves instead of hiring us

Last edited:

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France
Hello @Andy Black it's been a long time ago ahah ! :) Great video, thanks a lot for making it and share it to us.
I've just a question, can it be interesting to use Google Ads for promote a Google Chrome Extension? I've develop one some months ago in side projects of my other business (apps for iOS and Android), but I'm a big noob on marketing ahah. I can share you the link if you want give a try, it needs some improve but it's a good project I think. I wish you the best in your projects :)

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Thanks for creating this, I'm going to have a bash at setting this up over the weekend - will let you know how I get on!

For setting this up for a landing page that is targeting people in tier 1 countries worldwide (US, UK, Aus etc); would you recommend letting google find variations on one or two key words, or doing phrase match on as many sensible variations as I can come up with?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello @Andy Black it's been a long time ago ahah ! :) Great video, thanks a lot for making it and share it to us.
I've just a question, can it be interesting to use Google Ads for promote a Google Chrome Extension? I've develop one some months ago in side projects of my other business (apps for iOS and Android), but I'm a big noob on marketing ahah. I can share you the link if you want give a try, it needs some improve but it's a good project I think. I wish you the best in your projects :)
I've never run Google Ads to promote a Chrome Extension. Try it with a $5/day budget and see how you get on?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
would you recommend letting google find variations on one or two key words, or doing phrase match on as many sensible variations as I can come up with?
Keywords match *sets* of search terms. If those sets are sufficiently close in intent then you may not need to get more granular. If not then maybe you do. Have a look at the example screenshots I gave in a previous reply. Google is making match types blurier so you'll have to load and watch search terms to see what your keywords are showing for.

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Name me a more epic member of the fastlane forum than Andy, I'll wait.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hmm. I've just watched that video again and it's a bit small on my phone. The next time I do a screenshare I'll try and make the text on screen bigger.

Or maybe I edit this one and zoom in? While I'm at it I could do an intro and try and hook people a bit longer?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sooo...

What do you guys think I can do to improve this video? Feedback in the forum and on LinkedIn has been good but it's only had 793 views so far. I suspect it needs to hook people better for the YouTube algorithm to spread it.

If I was to do a short intro then what do you guys suggest? Something like "If you're tired of long tutorials then..." or "Want to get your Google Ads up and running fast"?

Should I zoom into the action so people can watch on their mobiles?

If I was to do a short outro then what do you suggest? Something like "Share this with someone who's struggling to get started with Google Ads"?

AureliusK

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jan 29, 2022
Sooo...

What do you guys think I can do to improve this video? Feedback in the forum and on LinkedIn has been good but it's only had 793 views so far. I suspect it needs to hook people better for the YouTube algorithm to spread it.

If I was to do a short intro then what do you guys suggest? Something like "If you're tired of long tutorials then..." or "Want to get your Google Ads up and running fast"?

Should I zoom into the action so people can watch on their mobiles?

If I was to do a short outro then what do you suggest? Something like "Share this with someone who's struggling to get started with Google Ads"?
I think if you get traffic from external sources, YouTube will notice and start pushing your video more. I believe if you try sharing it in reddit communites or shorten the video with key points to post on TikTok and leave your YouTube link in the comments for the full video. I hope that helps

Meteur

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Oct 23, 2023

Hope it helps!

Great video. Starting out can be pretty daunting with all the new things you have to learn and figure out, I personally had no idea what I was doing. It's plenty of very useful information in a bite-size chunk of time. Thank you for this.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
I had some campaigns going for my current business but it felt like we were getting way too many irrelevant contacts and paying for too many irrelevant terms. I also was not fully aware of all of the other things Google blows our money on. I learned so much in just 5 minutes (paused and replayed many times, of course).

I paused my current campaigns and tried my best to follow along with your 5 minute tutorial. I got an ad up but I'm not sure if it is working. I know it's only been a day so I need to wait a little longer.

The business I am writing the ads for is an e-commerce/retail business rather than a service. I would imagine that my strategy should be slightly different than what works for a service business. Do you have any content that addresses e-commerce/retail specifically? Sorry if it is somewhere obvious.

Thanks for all that you share. There is so much value. I'm doing my best to absorb as much as I can.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I had some campaigns going for my current business but it felt like we were getting way too many irrelevant contacts and paying for too many irrelevant terms. I also was not fully aware of all of the other things Google blows our money on. I learned so much in just 5 minutes (paused and replayed many times, of course).

I paused my current campaigns and tried my best to follow along with your 5 minute tutorial. I got an ad up but I'm not sure if it is working. I know it's only been a day so I need to wait a little longer.

The business I am writing the ads for is an e-commerce/retail business rather than a service. I would imagine that my strategy should be slightly different than what works for a service business. Do you have any content that addresses e-commerce/retail specifically? Sorry if it is somewhere obvious.

Thanks for all that you share. There is so much value. I'm doing my best to absorb as much as I can.
These are Responsive Search Ads, the bread and butter Google Ads. They can work for lead gen as well as eCom. The trick is to show for buyer searches rather than info-seeker searches (unless you're selling info of course).

Info-seeker searches are when the searcher has a cup of coffee in hand and they're learning. E.g. "tumeric" means they know nothing about tumeric and are just learning.

Buyer searches are when the searcher has their credit card or phone in hand ready to buy or ring someone. E.g. "tumeric capsules" means they already know they want tumeric and are looking to buy capsules.

parabolic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Aug 7, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Thanks Andy.

Is targeting the entire United States too broad if we are selling a niche product with a well defined, buyer oriented search term like the example you have shared? We ship nationwide so we would be happy to get traffic from anywhere within the country. The latest campaign that I was doing that with seemed to be doing well but I felt like I need to start fresh after seeing your illuminating video.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy.

Is targeting the entire United States too broad if we are selling a niche product with a well defined, buyer oriented search term like the example you have shared? We ship nationwide so we would be happy to get traffic from anywhere within the country. The latest campaign that I was doing that with seemed to be doing well but I felt like I need to start fresh after seeing your illuminating video.
If you serve the whole country then target the whole country.

freek

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
209%
Nov 17, 2022
Netherlands
Great Video! A lot of information in 5 minutes, thank you! Do you have any videos on google ads for product pages?

DEM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Feb 5, 2015

Hope it helps!

Cheers Andy, this is fantastic. Despite spending hours upon hours on Google ads courses and so on. A quick refresher guide on getting an ad out there is just what I needed. Especially when juggling so many different tasks, it simplifies everything. And to edit this down to such a short video would have been no easy task.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great Video! A lot of information in 5 minutes, thank you! Do you have any videos on google ads for product pages?
So eCommerce?

You can run Responsive Search Ads (RSAs) to each page. The 5 min video I did shows how to create RSAs.

You can also run Dynamic Search Ads to each page.

You can also setup Performance Max campaigns. I don't touch those, but there's plenty of YouTube videos on creating them. User @Phikey even has a whole channel about Google Ads for eCommerce.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Cheers Andy, this is fantastic. Despite spending hours upon hours on Google ads courses and so on. A quick refresher guide on getting an ad out there is just what I needed. Especially when juggling so many different tasks, it simplifies everything. And to edit this down to such a short video would have been no easy task.
Hopefully it wasn't just a refresher and showed some new tips and maybe even a new account structure.

Yeah, it was hard editing this down!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.