The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts On The 10X Rule

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
37-Grant-Cardone-Quotes-About-Achieving-Success.jpg

First off, let me say that I'm not reading the book, I'm listening to it via Audible; and I have to say, I like his speaking tone.

I like Grant Cardone's seriousness, and lack of frivolity when speaking. He attacks this issue - failure, poverty, success - with the seriousness it deserves.

This book made me reflect, reflect on the source of my frustrations.

It made me think about my own goals, and personal achievements.

The reason, I can attest, for being so frustrated after every failure, was because I had underestimated how much time and effort I would need to accomplish these goals.

I was getting mediocre results, because I was putting in mediocre effort.

My goals and dreams don't need to be fixed, changed, or altered; my effort does.

Grant Cardone says in the 10X Rule that one of the biggest mistakes he see's managers make is setting the bar lower for their employees, when they should be doubling, tripling, and '10X'-ing their efforts instead.

I would quit after every failure, frustrated as to why, why I couldn't make this work.

I understand now, that this was part of the process. That I was underestimating how much time, effort, and resources I would need to achieve my dreams.

So instead of quitting, instead of giving up, instead of lowering your expectations, it's time to 10X your efforts, and double down when the going gets tough.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I got maybe 30 minutes into the book.

I’m not really sure I could listen to a whole book that essentially was telling me to put in ten times the amount of effort.

Honestly, I compare 10x with Gary V. It’s working harder, not smarter.

Sure, I could send out 10x more emails to stores in hopes that I’ll get more responses. But. In the 200 I sent out already, I got ZERO replies.

Why?

Because I didn’t qualify my targets. I didn’t do the right things to ensure they were valid and that they would want to work with me.

You can get way more results doing 1x but by doing it in a laser focused way.

Quality of quantity.

SRathwell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jun 26, 2017
Ontario Canada
To pre-qualify this answer I have not read the book yet but understand the Idea behind it.

I think it is BOTH

To really go for it, to really make it happen you have to have both quality AND quantity!

Take your calling for example. You may make 10 pre-qualified calls today and it in turn gets you 1 lead/sale today. Now if you worked harder and made 20, 30, 50 qualified calls in that same day you could have 2,3 or even 5 leads/sale, in the same amount of time! What might take you a week now takes you a day leaving the rest of the week to take MORE action. From there it snowballs.

The person that only works SMARTER will get overtaken by the one who is willing to work SMARTER AND HARDER!

The premise is to push yourself to do more, we all have more in us, we just need to get by our limiting beliefs that hold us back.

I say all this but this is one of the things I need to work on as well! DO MORE, BE MORE, ACT MORE!

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

I’m not really sure I could listen to a whole book that essentially was telling me to put in ten times the amount of effort.

Sure, I could send out 10x more emails to stores in hopes that I’ll get more responses. But. In the 200 I sent out already, I got ZERO replies.

Why?

Because I didn’t qualify my targets. I didn’t do the right things to ensure they were valid and that they would want to work with me.

You can get way more results doing 1x but by doing it in a laser focused way.

Quality of quantity.
True, but I think laser focus is a privledge of the successful.

When you’re starting off, you have no choice but to send out those 200+ emails.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

When you’re starting off, you have no choice but to send out those 200+ emails.
Agreed. At the start, I believe it is hard, smart, and long hours. Later on you can adjust, depending on ambitions. Not a big Cardone fan these days (overly simplistic, IMO), but I loved the energy and message of the 10X Rule.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
This book is a great example of having a polarizing viewpoint to build a personal brand.

"10x" is highly unrealistic but it does sound kinda cool. Most business and entrepreneur people connect with it emotionally, not logically. It is the core of Grant's brand with his "just do it man" approach.

As for the actual advice it could be summed up in "goals are usually harder than they look and take more time than you think - act and plan accordingly".

But as @Scot said it doesn't make too much logical sense.

"I am not in the best shape"
"How often are you going to the gym?"
"Three times a week"
"You need to 10x that bro"
"Huh?"

I got value from it on an emotional level.
But don't literally go around 10xing everything.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
It's another datapoint, but not the whole picture.

I think Grant Cardone is an annoying bro. Definitely fails the would-you-have-a-beer-with-him test.

That said, I think everyone should read the book. It's a fast read, gives you a different person's perspective, and you might pick up a trick or two for motivating yourself.

If it's the only book you ever read on business, you aren't going anywhere.
If you need a shot of motivation to carry you through the next 6 months, then this is a great place to look.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

I disagree. I think laser focus comes with experience. After I got zero responses from 200 emails, would it have been smart to say, “I should just send out 2,000 emails!” Or should I have said, “well this isn’t working, let me take a look at what I did wrong”.

SRathwell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jun 26, 2017
Ontario Canada
Again haven't read the book, but my interpretation of 10x is not literal.

It is that there is always more you can be doing. It is pushing yourself to do it.

It would be still going to the gym 3 times a week, but pushing out extra reps, running an extra mile....pushing yourself a little harder.

I think the point is if you want to just get in shape, 3 days a week is fine....If you want to be Ripped and Strong you need to do more!

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
This book is a great example of having a polarizing viewpoint to build a personal brand.

"10x" is highly unrealistic but it does sound kinda cool. Most business and entrepreneur people connect with it emotionally, not logically. It is the core of Grant's brand with his "just do it man" approach.

As for the actual advice it could be summed up in "goals are usually harder than they look and take more time than you think - act and plan accordingly".

"Three times a week"
"Huh?"

Nah, bro... you need to be working out 3000 times a week if you’re serious at all

10X your goals & then 10X them again! :rofl:

View: https://youtu.be/aWACehdOCzk

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I can say from personal experience, I’ve missed my mark on certain projects because I underestimated the amount of resources, time, and energy I would need to accomplish it.

10X means also multiplying the amount of resources you might need to acheive such a goal.

“We’ll need 10x the manpower, 10x the money, 10x the time....”

Just a way to leave room for error.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.”

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
"Three times a week"
"Huh?"

Haha I like that. But on a serious note, to me 10x means take a look at your gym routine. Are you at the gym, or are you at a sweaty noisy place and texting on your phone? Pay attention to what you are doing, and focus on that. I can be at the gym (or work) and be dicking around for an hour. Or I can be focused like a sharply honed knife for that hour and have DRASTICALLY different results.

I have listened to the audio book on GC's 10x Rule and his Be Obsessed or Be Average. I absolutely love his audio programs and listen to them multiple times. Funny enough, my favorite time to listen to them was when I was at the gym.

Set insane goals. In 10 years are you ever going to look back at yourself and say "gee I am sure glad I only wanted a 6 figure business" or whatever it may be. Sure, set yourself some realistic targets in the now to hit, but the future is wide open. Think big and smash things out of the park.

0VO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 8, 2016
Ontario
I thought it was a Great book! He touches on some great subjects like never lowering your goals, and being omnipresent. His breakdown of common "middle-class" beliefs are also fun to listen to, like "money won't make you happy" or "money doesn't grow on trees". Overall I enjoyed his work!

I think the whole 10X thing is great for Branding, and it works well with his persona... "Hey, I have this sales thing it can 10X your business, how would you feel about another 1M a month" ... okay what if I only did half .. 500k? or half of that?! 250k! That's would still be GREAT?!" ...

Grant is really good at speaking, and sales (copy?) ... so you really have to listen and dig through his stuff. He'll give a 4 hour webinar and every hour he'll throw like 20 minutes of Solid information, and the rest is making things fun and selling himself and keeping things engaging.

Some of the posts above seem to be looking at 10X in a one-dimensional way, that is, 10X means ten times more effort, period. But, if you actually go through his stuff, he's one of the few people who's putting out quality applicable content. (I mean there's a lot of people who talk and talk, but leave you wondering now what, or how do I use that, or that's not useful.)

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

"Three times a week"
"Huh?"

LOL I wouldn't apply this logic to exercising, there's only so much the body can take...

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I disagree. I think laser focus comes with experience. After I got zero responses from 200 emails, would it have been smart to say, “I should just send out 2,000 emails!” Or should I have said, “well this isn’t working, let me take a look at what I did wrong”.
"..with experience"! How else are you gonna get the EXP? lol

Yes, it makes sense to shoot on target.

But we first we need to collect more data.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden

When I got my first sales job, I randomly picked up some online course about sales. Went to the top-selling category on Udemy and bought the first one I saw. Happened to be Grant's. Didn't know anything about the guy, but I experienced was the same thing as you said about his book.

Super simple concept - reiterated to death.

To be fair though, the sales concepts he taught were okay - at least for a hatchling in the field. Help other people, provide value and solve problems.

---

Anyways, about working harder or smarter. Hustle and hard work is the modern day wantrepreneur's motivational dope. Work until your hands bleed and sleep is for pussies. But claiming that only hard work will do it for you is pure sophistry.

16th century farmers woke up at 3AM and worked all day long. That didn't take them anywhere, so they used the few potatoes they'd grown to make vodka and numb their senses from the rough world in which they lived.

If hard work is the only foundation your life plans rest on.. please think again unless you dream of the lifestyle described above.

In fact... I think many see hard work as the easy way out. It may sound counter intuitive, but hear me out.

I use to do powerlifting. And if you're at it for a longer period of time, you often see the same types of people come and go in the world of fitness. The must common is the "F*ck Yeah"-Joe.

They get started. Motivation is at its peak and their plans are BIG. They're gonna get ripped, huge, swole or whatever. They buy loads of fitness stuff - new gear and supplements. Sign a 6-month gym membership.

First week, they work out EVERY day. And they do it in excess.

15 sets of curls, one hour on the StairMaster and 10 maxes on the deadlift. It's really hard work for them, and they think it will suffice.

But in my experience, most of them don't make it past the first couple of months.

Processes and events. Tenacity and smart work beats short periods of intense work. Quite like that fable about the hare and the tortoise.

iu

Nah, bro... you need to be working out 3000 times a week if you’re serious at all

10X your goals & then 10X them again! :rofl:

View:
View: https://youtu.be/aWACehdOCzk

Bro, you only down 300 grams of protein every day? You gotta bump that up to 3000! We gonna see some real gains.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Hard work aside, what if you 10x your plans and goals? How would you need to change your whole strategy and process for achieving them? You can't perform the work of 10 plumbers, programmers or whatever, but you can build up systems to get the same thing done.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I think it's on the right track of thinking bigger. I like Cardone a lot... That would probably surprise a lot of you. I know he's a douche, but he's a go getter. It's the perfect mindset.

If you keep thinking bigger you're never going to get comfortable and stuck.

10x? It's just his marketing for thinking bigger and acting bigger. I believe in both.

I don't think it's a quantity over quality argument. 10x the quantity. 10x the quality. 10x everything... not a bad way to approach business.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
It’s working harder, not smarter.
Maybe work hard at being smarter?

And yes, it also boils down to quality of the techniques or approaches you use.

I was watching a Masterclass trailer, featuring renowned chief Thomas Keller.
maxresdefault.jpg

Instead of pouring out whole exquisite recipes, his focus is on the techniques that build up the dish.

Techniques like roasting, blanching, pureeing, to name a few. Each of these steps, by its own, may not mean much individually, but when they work with other ingredients and at carefully planned temperatures, pressures and touches, you get better tasting food.

On smart vs hard work, I think as time goes on, our present intelligence and knowledge get obsolete. So you could be 'smart' one day and 'not smart' tomorrow. For instance, I thought I was 'smart' because I scored good grades in English. Then when I started gigs on copywriting....I felt like the dumb cow because selling by the written word needs a lot more than writing bullshit. :happy:

So I guess its an ever evolving thing. Hard work is needed to continue to upgrade the 'smart' level.

0VO

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jun 8, 2016
Ontario
"I'm having trouble kicking this drug addiction."
Grant: "You need to 10X that bro."

I mean yeah that's him on the surface! lol..

But if you dig a bit deeper, you'll see he encourages people to contact him so he can help them with finding a rehab centre. (One which takes a unique approach compared to the average rehab centres.)

Keep in mind he is in real estate so he's probably referring to making 10X as many offers and deals, which is totally possible since most of the time you're waiting to hear back from other parties.

It's more of a mindset. Aiming above and beyond, and expecting to have to do above and beyond. Like "Reach for the stars.... ... at least you'll end up on the moon." If you don't get 10X, you can get 3x and that's still good?

It's one thing to practice and another to preech. He himself admit he couldn't fathom $1-Billi and would get mad at his Wife when she'd mention to go for that. (When he was in the 100s of Millions.)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I remember listening to this and being pleasantly surprised.

I watched a Udemy course Grant had on sales and was pleasantly surprised at that too. For some reason he came across better to me when I didn't see him presenting it, but just listened to him. He looks and acts a bit too salesman like. Maybe it's a cultural thing? What isn't my cup of tea are his YT videos where he winks at the camera as he "closes" someone. But anyway...

I can't remember the gist of it. I do recall thinking it wasn't a waste of my time.

Dan Sullivan has a 10x thing too. I posted about it here and I really like it (I think @Kak will too if he's not watched it, including/especially the video in post 11):

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I read the book and I liked it! The problem is it needs a good forward. My forward would read:

Take the enthusiasm this book generates and apply it to your goal setting...nothing else. 10x your goals. Now see how many "x's" you need to ramp up in your effort. It's probably 1.25x-ish but you may find it to be 0.9x!

GC - Please send royalties to my business address. :hilarious:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I read the book and I liked it! The problem is it needs a good forward. My forward would read:

Take the enthusiasm this book generates and apply it to your goal setting...nothing else. 10x your goals. Now see how many "x's" you need to ramp up in your effort. It's probably 1.25x-ish but you may find it to be 0.9x!

GC - Please send royalties to my business address. :hilarious:
I mean, 10X is more marketable. You wouldn’t buy a book called The 1.5X Rule, lol

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I've read the book, as well as his others.

10x effort seems so stupid. He literally doesn't consider working smarter at all. Where I give him credit with this book is that things are generally MUCH harder than you think they will be, and your expectations have to reflect that. Because if you think it's going to be easy you will give up before making it.

I don't think it's as simple as what he says - just work 10x harder. That's the way an idiot tries to solve a problem. But Grant is mainly a motivational guy like Gary V who is saying simple stuff that gets Likes from the masses. And I say that as someone that likes Grant, it's just how he has positioned himself for mass-appeal.

As for setting your goals 10x higher... This is misguided for people that haven't started. They don't need big goals. They need to get started. It is good advice for someone that is growing a successful business.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.