The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

BOOK The 10x Rule by Grant Cardone - Crazy or Brilliant?

Adelaide

Contributor
May 16, 2019
Adelaide, South Australia
I listened to this book a few years ago on Audible. I liked his passion and drive - but that's all I got from it.

I have spend years over-delivering. Yes, it can yield great results - but at what cost?

Much of the time over-delivering is a WASTE of resources.
It's far better to spend time communicating competence and invest the resources elsewhere.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

Bryan James

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 1, 2018
Texas, USA
I don't know much about Grant Cardone, but I think I remember that his business models involve loads and loads of debt, which isn't necessarily bad, but not ideal either IMO.

Wiggly0607

Contributor
May 1, 2013
Ohio
Grant Cardone lost all credibility the minute he associated himself with Tai Lopez and Fred Lam and many more. It seems he's offering some secret packages for new gurus like Fred to come onto his show, where these new gurus pay $ to him and he talks about them in a credible light on his show that showcases the "strengths" of these unknowns (we have one member here who was in a video with Cardone).

10x? Lol
Interesting. I have seen stuff about Tai on YouTube, seems pretty controversial. What is his story? (Tai)

Re: 10X, I listened to the audiobook also. His energy is what makes the book good rather than the content. He's basically saying that you need to work harder than you think you do to be as successful as you want to be. That's it.

He also mispronounces so many words in the book, it drove me crazy, but that's my audiobook OCD coming out!

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
The issue with consultative selling (or that school of thought) is that it works when your customer likes the approach, need to do a complex deal and already trusts you as the advisor.
Yes!

In my experience, I've found Beflort's stuff to work well with a short sales cycle.

Nobody wants to prolong any deal if it's something small and quick.

But once you start talking bigger numbers - and part of closing the deal is the client's long-term relationship with you, then you need to be cautious.

Again, there's really no right or wrong.

It's just what works in the context your in.

This thread makes me think about a "business frankenstein"
  • Grant Cardone's mindset (hustle, discipline, energy)
  • James Clear to understand how the mind works and to make long-lasting changes
  • Jordan Belfort for a short sales cycle (probably anything under $1000)
  • Spin Selling for a longer sales cycle (anything over $1000 and long term)
The list could go on and on.

But I think the right word is "context"

Grant's good when you're feeling low or need a boost to think bigger.

As a matter of fact - he changed my mindset on how I approach sales rejection.

"You only feel rejection if your pipeline isn't full"

That has to be the realest thing I've ever learned.

Whenever you're short on people to talk too - you start to get anxious.

Have nobody to talk too - and suddenly your panicking.

But when you have a steady flow of deals in the making, you're nice and calm.

A deal could flop and it won't bother you one bit - because you know there's another one just around the corner.

Last edited:

rollerskates

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Everyone thinks I’m an expert at lawn care and we sell our services at a premium price. Man, I’m up at night searching how to trim rose bushes and how to kill moss. I’m no expert.
This! I'm not too familiar with Grant Cardone, but if it's something that doesn't involve someone's health or safety, I say go for it and figure it out as you go along. My current business spinoff I started pretty much on a whim. It's something I had only dabbled in previously, but it turns out I am good at it (flipping stuff), even though I'm a total noob. I usually grab stuff for sale that's within my budget, and then figure out if it will sell and what for. So far so good. And speaking of gurus, Gary Vee is a big fan of flipping. Obviously he doesn't need the money but he does it to show it can be done.

Hyperion

Contributor
May 28, 2019
Don't know if the OP's main focus is sales or personal development - but this was a great quote.

I've seen Jordan Belfort's stuff, but I think it's too pushy.

He made most of his money in the 80's - 90's - so his tactics are a bit outdated too.

To me, his stuff just screams "slimy salesman"

The best sales material I've ever stumbled upon was Spin Selling.

It's backed by science and makes sense.

It's much more authentic and empathetic, (I learned this from @Andy Black 's stuff)

You don't need to be super hyped to sell.

Just help people and provide an awesome solution - and the sale usually takes care of itself.
My end goal here was sales, but being successful at that may require a great deal of personal development if one is not a natural in this area. Thanks for your reply and insights.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
My end goal here was sales, but being successful at that may require a great deal of personal development if one is not a natural in this area. Thanks for your reply and insights.
I think being good at sales comes down to being a good human being.

People can smell a salesperson a mile away.

When you genuinely care about helping people solve their problems - somehow they pick up on that too.

From my experience - most people focus on the meeting, the actual sales call.

But sales involves many things:

Prospecting (Attract)

Sales Call (Close)

Relationship (Retain)

If you're selling something that's lower ticket and quick - Grant's stuff could work.

But here's why I'm not such a big fan of his approach:

Prospecting - He seems to focus more on volume and less on quality.

You'll hear him say things like: "You need to be making at least 500 calls a day"

Does this work?

Absolutely.

But in my experience, I've gotten better results by focusing on a select group of people and reaching out to them in a way that's highly personalized and targeted.

(Again, Grant's approach works - It's just the context of what you sell. For me he wasn't as helpful)

Sales Call (Close): I think he's a little too "old school" and "agressive"

From my personal experience:

If I did my prospecting correctly...

Identified my prospects problems...

And proposed an irresistible offer...

There's no need to focus on closing techniques.

Relationship (Retain): No idea how this part of his business is like - but he does a great job of providing value at scale and nurturing relationships with people.

Overall, the best sales lesson you can get is:

1. Focus on solving your prospects problems

2. And you do this by being empathetic and asking the right questions

That's why I like the Spin Selling approach.
  • There's no pressure and no hype.

• You just ask some good questions.

• You help them identify their problems.

• And show them the perfect solution.
Again, all of this depends on the context of what you sell and your "style."

I'm no expert, but this is what worked for me.

What are you selling at the moment?

Maybe Grant's stuff can be great for you.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom