The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Thoughts On The 10X Rule

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
As for setting your goals 10x higher... This is misguided for people that haven't started. They don't need big goals. They need to get started. It is good advice for someone that is growing a successful business.

I disagree with you on this point and so does Unscripted . If you don't give yourself a decent upside to shoot for, the effort won't be worth it. There needs to be gold gumballs in the machine.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Aha. In which case it's the same as Dan Sullivan's 10x here:

Exactly! I am amazed at the difference it is making in my business. You just think differently...about everything.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
LOL I wouldn't apply this logic to exercising, there's only so much the body can take...
And there's only so much the mind can take.

There is a limit for both body and mind. And don't forget that according to Solomon (Ecclesiastes 3) we are all limited by time also. Time is our ultimate limitation.

Walter

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
And there's only so much the mind can take.

There is a limit for both body and mind. And don't forget that according to Solomon (Ecclesiastes 3) we are all limited by time also. Time is our ultimate limitation.

Walter
I agree to both.

But it’s easier to multiply numbers on paper, than weights on a bench press.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
Dan Sullivan has a 10x thing

Yep, I think the context is probably misunderstood... 10X thinking is derived from exponential thinking or moonshot thinking. When you stretch your thinking to see how you can generate 10x results, your physiology and psychology changes. The effort will not necessarily be 10x, but it will be in the right direction. We're always looking for shortcuts, but the problem is shortcuts will not work in the long term. If something takes 10 days to do, and we try to shortcut it to 5 days, or even 1 day... granted it got done... but it could be pretty shitty stuff when you review it, or not sustainable or not permanent.

For certain businesses, having that scale or leverage makes sense, otherwise they wouldn't be able to grow so much. For example, Google has exponential thinking... they're not thinking how we can impact 1,000 or 100,000 - they're thinking how can their product impact 1 billion. That sort of thinking allows them to deploy resources to wipe out the competition even.

Connor

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jan 2, 2012
South Carolina
Funny that I should encounter this thread literally as I read the 10X rule (about halfway done). I agree that you may not literally need to do ten times whatever activity you were doing, but I for one am certainly guilty in underestimating the amount of work it will take to achieve something. In today’s global marketplace, everyone is trying to “work smart,” so you really have to do both.

While he may be too much for some of you, and you can say the same for Gary Vaynerchuk, he is trying to achieve massive success beyond what most of us want to accomplish. If you don’t want to own 5,000 units and be known across the world, you can scale things down. But I think the message is sound- you really have to start thinking bigger if you want to beat the competition and be willing to put in those extra hours, because there is always more work to close a deal. Working in insurance, there is always something that comes up at the last minute that makes everything more challenging than you thought it was going to be. I especially like how he talks about having more prospects in the pipeline so that, if one falls through, it’s a blessing because you have so much going on, rather than a curse of now not having any opportunity.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
View attachment 22132

First off, let me say that I'm not reading the book, I'm listening to it via Audible; and I have to say, I like his speaking tone.

I like Grant Cardone's seriousness, and lack of frivolity when speaking. He attacks this issue - failure, poverty, success - with the seriousness it deserves.

This book made me reflect, reflect on the source of my frustrations.

It made me think about my own goals, and personal achievements.

The reason, I can attest, for being so frustrated after every failure, was because I had underestimated how much time and effort I would need to accomplish these goals.

I was getting mediocre results, because I was putting in mediocre effort.

My goals and dreams don't need to be fixed, changed, or altered; my effort does.

Grant Cardone says in the 10X Rule that one of the biggest mistakes he see's managers make is setting the bar lower for their employees, when they should be doubling, tripling, and '10X'-ing their efforts instead.

I would quit after every failure, frustrated as to why, why I couldn't make this work.

I understand now, that this was part of the process. That I was underestimating how much time, effort, and resources I would need to achieve my dreams.

So instead of quitting, instead of giving up, instead of lowering your expectations, it's time to 10X your efforts, and double down when the going gets tough.

I recently read this - I don't normally sit there reading motivational books but for me I came from a different perspective. I have addressed this in other posts on the forum but I really do feel like I've done everything I can and failed. I found his quantification method quite interesting e.g. instead of making 6/7 calls he realised he needed to make 30 calls; CEOs attend 6 conferences and read 50+ books per year etc. So giving an example: I am working on two projects - I'll update that on my execution thread on Wednesday progress has slowed. But on personal front: I have a good life - through sheer effort alone I have got to where I am (in the words of Einstein I am grateful for those who said no; because of them, I did it myself). However, I recently tried different things (in addition to looking good, making best of myself, being in shape etc.): cooking class, clay pigeon shooting, tennis league, sales training (this was both personal and professional: a friend of mine met her husband at a conference) and then I looked at how many people were at the these events. Including the conference (which was male dominated) I must have ''met'' about 100 men in 2 weeks! Nothing!!!

So in summary I'm probably not one of the author's target audience in that I'm willing to do whatever it takes but I find the lack of results just utterly disheartening particularly as I know I'm one of a smaller number of females on this forum and the time-sensitivity of my personal goals is ringing in my ears daily but I have no idea what 10x I'm supposed to do to make it happen that I haven't done already; my biggest regret is not paying attention to this area in my life when I was younger and assuming things would fall into place.:(

ManliestManofMen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Oct 13, 2018
USA
I like Grant and some of his advice, but the 10X thing doesn't really motivate me. Sure, think and dream big, but executing and achieving small steps is great too.

It's like climbing a mountain. Sure, set your sights on the top and start climbing, but after you hit a 1/3 of the way, feel free to look back and see how far you've come. If you're just focused on the top, you might get burnt out halfway through and call it quits. Stop and look around once in a while. Enjoy the journey.

I also agree that Grant and Gary V are all about working harder, rather than smarter. My friend and I always make fun of Gary V and how he's all about the hustle. "Just picked up these couches and sold them for $10! But ignore the fact that I spent 3 days and 2 tanks of gas doing it! Hustle, baby! Thanks Gary V!"

Aaron_S

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 1, 2018
USA
I listened to the Audible book a few months back. From what I remember his goal in life was to work harder than anyone at becoming the most shameless self promoter of himself as a brand. It seems like that has worked out for him. I also recall setting larger goals (10x em bruh) instead of ones that are easily achieved. That part was good advice but surely most people have heard that by now. The last thing was never say no to opportunity (fake it til you make it). It is probably a fine motivational book on setting goals, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I listened to the Audible book a few months back. From what I remember his goal in life was to work harder than anyone at becoming the most shameless self promoter of himself as a brand. It seems like that has worked out for him. I also recall setting larger goals (10x em bruh) instead of ones that are easily achieved. That part was good advice but surely most people have heard that by now. The last thing was never say no to opportunity (fake it til you make it). It is probably a fine motivational book on setting goals, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
He also talks about being accountable and responsible, sort of like the millionaire fast lane ...

Aaron_S

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 1, 2018
USA
He also talks about being accountable and responsible, sort of like the millionaire fast lane ...

I guess but to me he talks about responsibility more like a 12 step program. The whole you owe it to God to be successful in life. I just can't see where this book adds any unique value.

#nowhere

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 29, 2016
Germany
I think, if I let his message sink in, that 10x is

Against approaching things half heartedly

And for going all in with everything you do (e.g. sales efforts etc.)

Not “dipping your toes into“ but “jumping in, head forward“

Makes sense to me. No matter what you try to achieve, do it with skin in the game, with giving all and everything. I think thats true, even for a J.O.B.

...anything else is just a waste of time...

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
I listened to it on Audible and enjoyed it. The lesson I took away from it were:
  • Maximise my effort in everything I do
  • Don't find excuses to take a break
  • Take ACTION whenever I can
  • People who are successful don't get their by dabbling
I agree that he wasn't very clear about making sure that you should validate any action you take before 10X-ing it and I'm sure that for some people this will be a probelm as they blindly 10X something that will never work.

My main issue with the book is the idea of 10X-ing your goals. I like the idea of aiming big, but I think if you set goals that are too big too early on they can start to weigh down on you and feel impossible.

Overall, I found it a great book for motivation and a good reminder of how hard work is key and there's nearly always something extra you can do, but there are certainly a lot more books out there with deeper more thoughtful lessons to be taken away.

Thinh

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Aug 11, 2018
10x out of context is silly.
It's about finding something that works and THEN 10x it.

For instance,
True, but I think laser focus is a privledge of the successful.

When you’re starting off, you have no choice but to send out those 200+ emails.

here it depends how it's done.
Blasting the same email to 200 persons is a waste of time. It's the "throw stuff to the wall and see what sticks".

Better send 20 or 30 mails, then see what response it produces (if any). And then, adjust, repeat.
It's THERE that the 10x rule really apply, in the amount of effort to identify what works; then, once you crafted a great email + identified the right target, you 10x the amount of emails you send.

In my own experience, I've noticed that when something works, it often works right away or quickly enough. If you do something a hundred times and it produces no results, doing it a thousand won't make any difference.

So the key, to me. is to avoid interpreting the 10x rule the wrong way. It's not about sending 10x emails or working 10x more hours. It's about 10x our actions to identify what works and then 10x it.

Jeff InfoPreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Jan 3, 2014
I have to say it was an incredibly refreshing message to see...but one that most people are unwilling to take to heart and even fewer - act on. The 10x message is spot-on...for most people it is not a matter of trying a "little" harder or putting "double" the effort in (because most people are doing the bare minimum as it is), but that it takes a TON of effort, a TON of trial and error, a TON of commitment, a TON of persistence, a TON of confidence, etc... to achieve a top producing level. In a nutshell, he puts his finger on the huge discrepancy between people's dreams/ambitions and the amount of action and sacrifice people are willing to take. To me the 10x communicates that brilliantly.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I have to say it was an incredibly refreshing message to see...but one that most people are unwilling to take to heart and even fewer - act on. The 10x message is spot-on...for most people it is not a matter of trying a "little" harder or putting "double" the effort in (because most people are doing the bare minimum as it is), but that it takes a TON of effort, a TON of trial and error, a TON of commitment, a TON of persistence, a TON of confidence, etc... to achieve a top producing level. In a nutshell, he puts his finger on the huge discrepancy between people's dreams/ambitions and the amount of action and sacrifice people are willing to take. To me the 10x communicates that brilliantly.
Yup! I’ve always seemed to underestimate the cost of my goals, and was disappointed when they weren’t achieved.

I never realized how much work I was missing.

Better to overshoot than underperform.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
10x rule seems to be his trademark quote. I mean if you are working 3 hours a day you can't simply 10x it and work 30 hours a day .This is just impossible .
However I agree that there is just no shortcut or replacement for hard work . I have following quotes noted down on my laptop (on which I work ) and read them almost daily .

-I like to work half a day. I don't care if it is the first 12 hours or the second 12 hours.
--Kammons Wilson, CEO of Holiday Inn

-If people knew how hard I had to work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem wonderful at all.
--Michaelangelo

-Fritz Kreisler, the great violinist, was once asked, "How do you play so well? Are you lucky?" He replied, "It is practice. If I don't practice for a month, the audience can tell the difference. If I don't practice for a week, my wife can tell the difference. If I don't practice for a day, I can tell the difference."

-We need to learn from nature. The duck keeps paddling relentlessly underneath buta ppears smooth and calm on top.
Once when Fritz Kreisler, the great violinist, finished a concert, someone came up to the stage and said, "I'd give my life to play the way YOU do." Kreisler replied, "I did!" There is no magic wand for success. In the real world, success comes to doers, not observers. A horse that pulls cannot kick; a horse that kicks cannot pull. Let's pull and stop kicking.
Without hard work there is no success.
Nature gives birds their food but does not put it in their nest. They have to work hard for it. Nothing comes easy. Milton rose every morning at 4 a.m. to write Paradise Lost. It took Noah Webster 36 years to compile Webster's Dictionary. Even small accomplishments require hard work and are better than big talk.

-Does Lockheed organization have a reason to believe positively? You bet.
Several years ago Lockheed introduced the L-1011 Tristar plane. In order to ensure safety and test the strength of the jetliner, Lockheed exposed the plane to the roughest treatment for 18 months, costing $1.5 billion. Hydraulic jacks, electronic sensors and a computer put the airplane through its paces for more than 36,000 simulated flights, amounting to 100 years of airline service, without one single malfunction. Finally after hundreds of tests the aircraft was given the seal of approval. There is every reason to believe that this plane would be safe to fly, because of all the effort put into preparation.

-Nothing will take the place of persistence. Talent will not : Nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent . Genius will not : Unrewarded genius is a proverb.Education will not: The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
--Calvin Coolidge

-LUCK
He worked by day
And toiled by night.
He gave up play
And some delight.
Dry books he read,
New things to learn.
And forged ahead,
Success to earn.
He plodded on with
Faith and pluck;
And when he won,
Men called it luck.
--Anonymous

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
"I'm having trouble kicking this drug addiction."
Grant: "You need to 10X that bro."
If you're going to do anything, why not go all the way?

"What if it's the wrong way?"

"Well you'll find out quicker." - Jim Rohn
Grant Cardone was a drug addict who got himself out of it, he would know a few things about it.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
If you're going to do anything, why not go all the way?

"What if it's the wrong way?"

"Well you'll find out quicker." - Jim Rohn
Grant Cardone was a drug addict who got himself out of it, he would know a few things about it.
Sometimes it helps to get it out of your system lol

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I got maybe 30 minutes into the book.

I’m not really sure I could listen to a whole book that essentially was telling me to put in ten times the amount of effort.

Honestly, I compare 10x with Gary V. It’s working harder, not smarter.

Sure, I could send out 10x more emails to stores in hopes that I’ll get more responses. But. In the 200 I sent out already, I got ZERO replies.

Why?

Because I didn’t qualify my targets. I didn’t do the right things to ensure they were valid and that they would want to work with me.

You can get way more results doing 1x but by doing it in a laser focused way.

Quality of quantity.

This is the problem I have with Grant. What I appreciate about him is his drive and focus on success, but you can't take his stuff literally when he gets into: "put in an UGLY amount of work, keep calling a prospect until they can't stand to hear your voice anymore, do A LOT of the rough stuff". His stuff gets me pumped about sales but you have to pair it with a guy like Jeb Bluont who can teach you a polished sales routine of prospecting, pipeline management, buyer personalities, etc. Sales EQ is a great book for this.

What I LOVE about Grant is I do agree that most people think too small, and 10Xing your goal will open your mind to new opportunities you may not have been paying attention to. Also love what he says about not listening to psychobabble maintstream psychology, etc.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
If I've learned something in my years of trying to kick my porn addiction(unsuccessfully), it's that deprivation never works, your addiction is compensating for something else you need but aren't getting.
Yup. Most, if not all addictions are filling what we’re missing: connection.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I've read the book, as well as his others.

10x effort seems so stupid. He literally doesn't consider working smarter at all. Where I give him credit with this book is that things are generally MUCH harder than you think they will be, and your expectations have to reflect that. Because if you think it's going to be easy you will give up before making it.

I don't think it's as simple as what he says - just work 10x harder. That's the way an idiot tries to solve a problem. But Grant is mainly a motivational guy like Gary V who is saying simple stuff that gets Likes from the masses. And I say that as someone that likes Grant, it's just how he has positioned himself for mass-appeal.

As for setting your goals 10x higher... This is misguided for people that haven't started. They don't need big goals. They need to get started. It is good advice for someone that is growing a successful business.

The man is worth a half of a billion dollars... You are claiming he is wrong... Misguided how? How do you know?

Last edited:

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
If I've learned something in my years of trying to kick my porn addiction(unsuccessfully), it's that deprivation never works, your addiction is compensating for something else you need but aren't getting.
Actual sex/relationships with women.

Seriously go on No Fap/No Porn. It'll help tremendously.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Actual sex/relationships with women.

Seriously go on No Fap/No Porn. It'll help tremendously.
I've been there and learned the science behind dopamine and all that, read the success stories and guys relapsing. Eventually I just figured there are more important things in life, such as being a success.

I'm still trying to quit, I just don't give it nearly as much attention and I used to do.

Btw, there are guys in relationships who're addicted, you'll find from all ages and walks of life so I don't know if that's the answer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.