The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quit my job + moved, and I have some major regrets...

Anything related to matters of the mind

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
A warning to anybody looking to "burn the bridges", turn into a different person, and move on to a new chapter in your life…a story of regret

I’m having some major regrets about some decisions I made recently.

I used to be scared sh*tless of quitting my job.

6/11/2014 – 12:57 p.m. (It’s funny how I remember that exact time 4 months later) It was a Wednesday afternoon where I am walking back in the air conditioned Phoenix, AZ corporate office nervous about quitting my job that day. What if my side-business crashes?

As I open the front doors after my lunch break, chik-fil-a in hand; my boss is walking out saying she is going out of state for the rest of the week.

I have to quit my job now.

I didn't think, I just did it - I pull her in a meeting room real quick and tell her I’m quitting because my side business is making me more money and I want to put all my focus on that full time. She was actually excited for me going on to new things in my life, and wasn’t mad at all. Two weeks left of work.

My boss leaves the office.

I immediately go over to Legal and flirt with the cutest girl at work while I still can.

Lunch date on Thursday :).

I signed a lease in Boulder, CO for the following month so I didn’t want to miss out on at least a few dates with her while I was still in Arizona. It’s funny how stuff like this makes me FINALLY act on a yearlong crush.

We get lunch the next day at work, go on 4 or 5 dates over the next month before I move.

The night when I’m packing my red Nissan Sentra with everything I can fit, and ready to leave for my new life 1,000 miles away the next morning…I get a call from her. She is at a local coffee shop by Arizona State University and wants to see me one more time before we leave.

We spent a number of hours together that night, and we parted ways with a strong sense of “unfinished chemistry”. I wished there was more time to spend with her. She was different then the rest. Why did I wait so long to ask her out?

My fears leading up to me quitting my job. What if they become reality?

1. What happens if I fail?

2. What if my car breaks down?

3. What if I lose money?

4. What if I don’t make friends in my new city?

5. What will my friends criticize me?

6. What if I disappoint my parents?

7. What if my business crashes?

8. What if…

9. What if…

10. What if…

What most people won’t tell you…is that all these “What if’s” actually happen.

· Yes my car broke down

· Yes, I lost money

· Yes my friends criticized me

· Yes, my parents want me to have a safe, secure job

· Yes, Apple called me an hour after I turned in the keys to my old apartment and shut off the internet saying they would take down my business if I didn't do 125 updates to my apps in the next two weeks.

Time to drive faster and skip the trip to the Grand Canyon that I planned.

ALL of these ‘worst fears’ actually happened to me….except for #4…

And want to hear the best part? It was not a big deal.
  • I fail every day, but now I know how to get up on my feet almost immediately from any failure.
  • I had $1,200 in car repairs the week after I quit my job, but I took out a 0% interest credit card and paid it off cash a few months later.
  • I lost a decent amount of money on a marketing campaign that yielded very few sales, but I found a way to make that money back.
  • My friends criticized me for quitting a job for some dream, but I make more money working 0 hours a week now than I was when I worked 40…they now just think I got lucky.
  • My parents were worried and pressured me not to, but they are finally starting to see that things are turning out alright for me.
Life is great...I am in better health, I am happy, and I still make money 4 months after taking the leap....so what did I regret?

1. I regret not acting sooner - You HAVE to take these actions to get where you want to go. Why not act sooner? You're going to die one day. I don't want to wait that long...do you?

2. I regret not asking her out sooner – I had a crush on this girl for a year before I asked her out. When I finally did ask her out, 1 month before moving…we clicked and have amazing chemistry. Why didn't I face my fears sooner?

3. I regret that I didn't see the Grand Canyon – It was a 2 hour detour from my road trip to my new life in Colorado. But I was so focused on saving my app business: I didn’t go. A few hours wouldn't have made a difference.

4. I regret not failing more – I was disappointed when I lost $1,000 on paid ads in 2013. I wish I lost $3,000. I could have made it back in a week at work, and I would be much better at them now.

“Move fast and break things. Unless you are breaking stuff, you are not moving fast enough.”
-Billionaire Entrepreneur

In the 4 months since I quit my job, I realized something very important:

I only ever regretted the things that I didn’t take action on sooner, or things that I didn’t do. Every “bad” action has helped me grow more than any inaction.
  • The girl would have said yes a year ago. Why did I wait until the last month before I moved?
  • I could have been financially free a year earlier. Why did I stop running those ads back then?
Minimize the time between actions. You can take action today, or next year. Both will get you where you want to go. Success is not a matter of time. Success is a matter of taking enough actions. The ‘bad’ actions are a normal part of the process.

Don’t be like me – I missed a year of my life (or more) that I could have spent with an amazing girl, and potentially an extra year’s worth of success in business

…because I didn't fail fast enough.

I wrote this for anyone who has fears that prevent them from taking action on what they want: The life change, asking out the girl, spending some money on marketing, etc.

I used to have fears...none of them turned out to be real...and they held me back. Fears of (rejection/failure) with the girl and quitting my job were not real.
  • A year ago, a friend was scared to spend $20 a day on ads. He is now doing pretty well for himself because he got past that.
  • A week ago, a friend was scared to spend $5 on one paid ad. I see the same future for him.
Take action and don't be scared.

When you achieve your goals, you will not have any regrets that you one day decided to run towards them.

Life is great after I faced my fears and started pushing forward as fast as I can. I hope the same for you. That is why I wrote this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
So, you still talking to her?

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
You do have a regret though. It's that girl. Do something about it. Fly her out to Colorado for a week or something :-D

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Awesome job dude, I'm really impressed! It looks like it transforms you a bit as a person as well. You have the skills and the attitude to win for sure.

RBefort

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 14, 2012
One of the best posts ive read on here. Thanks a lot for sharing! Now ask that chick to be your wife and move to Boulder.

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
Well written and extremely vivid
No it's not vivid enough!! We need more details, is she cute? Tall and slender? How will you stay in contact?? :p

G

GuestUser140

I don't know if anyone can relate but...

the more of these switches you flip, the more numb you get to "undertaking that big thing"..

You start to make decisions more frequently, more easily and more calmly, to the point of where you could care less whether something works out or not. You just calculate cost/benefit, then do, do, do. Ready, fire, aim. Sometimes you wake up from this trance and realize you deserve a pat on the back for what you've accomplished already.

Become one of the few who do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark Foster II

Building my HIGHWAY
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 12, 2014
Excellent post dude! That was beyond real and appreciate you sharing your journey!

Falco

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
389%
Oct 22, 2014
I feel really inspired by your journey. Just goes to show that beeing successful is the habit of overcoming fears.
Like most things, doing things you are afraid of is a skill. And as such has to be trained.

Quoting the movie "Man on fire" with Denzel Washington:

"There is no such thing as tough. There´s trained and untrained.
Which one are you ?"

Always liked that quote.
Thanks for sharing your story.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Question: why did Apple threaten to shut down your business?

Also, go get this girl!!!! Love must not wait!!!! It can still happen!! IT CAN STILL HAPPEN!!!
I'll be cheering for you!!!!!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
You start to make decisions more frequently, more easily and more calmly, to the point of where you could care less whether something works out or not. You just calculate cost/benefit, than do, do, do. Ready, fire, aim.
This is exactly what i've started to experience recently. When did you go through this 'awakening'? How else has it benefited you?

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Question: why did Apple threaten to shut down your business?

Also, go get this girl!!!! Love must not wait!!!! It can still happen!! IT CAN STILL HAPPEN!!!
I'll be cheering for you!!!!!
Had to do some updates on the apps that I coded months earlier. Got everything done with a few days to spare. :)

:)

D

DeletedUser394

I regret feeling pity for you after reading the first two sentences.

But I stuck with it and now I'm fired up.

Really well written.

I bet you this'll be gilded shortly :)

Dark Water

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Mar 25, 2014
I quit my job this morning so this post hit straight to the core. I was nervous at the beginning, reading it. I'm not sure how it'll turn out, but as Steve Jobs said, you can only connect the dots looking back, you can't connect them looking forward. Thank you for this post its inspiring and eye opening.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Your journey is really motivating, man. I still remember meeting you at C+B (the first one) and we all gave you shit for still having a job.

Process is king. And I don't think you should regret not leaving sooner, because you DID get off your a$$ and leave.

Rep+

G

GuestUser140

This is exactly what i've started to experience recently. When did you go through this 'awakening'? How else has it benefited you?

I had to think long and hard on this one. I'll try my best to answer you as I think you asked a really important question.

The first bigger decisions I made took a lot of mental capacity. Just like you and everyone else, I too had all these What ifs making me crazy. I weighed pros and cons, listened to my heart and head, and made sure I had a backup plan, then made a decision.

After losing my grandfather, I realized barely anything we do today matters 100 years from now. Some say that might be a very bleak outlook on life for a 23 year old, but to the contrary: it's liberating. Instead of wasting time on minutiae, complaining, small talk, we should all spend our waking hours relentlessly chasing our dreams. Most people don't have a clue about what they want from life. They just go through the motions, only to find life has passed them by when they are about the kick the bucket. They never even tried to hit their redline. Me, I don't have that problem anymore. I stopped giving a damn ever since and the journey has been nothing short of spectacular. It's as if every single goal I set for myself eventually materializes. Leading to more confidence, leading to more and bigger action.

Set goals and conquer them.

The common denominator you notice after a while is that you've been taking action all the while. You've always been writing a diet plan, looking up workouts, studying vocabulary, researching prices on eBay, making stuff in Photoshop, studying business books. You've always been doing things to improve yourself, it's just who you are. You weren't thinking "action", you were thining "I want to live my dreams". You have this image in your mind of what your life should look like, who you're truly meant to be regardless of what state you're in now.

You rolled up your sleeves, and off you went.

You didn't sit on the couch and watched TV when you saw a hint of a six pack from working out. No, you went to the gym.
You didn't complain about dismal unemployment benefits when you made your first $1000 on your own. No, you tried to do that again.

Now imagine you keep repeating those actions. How would you feel when a little while later, you

a) look like the guy on the underwear package.
b) made $100,000 on your own.

You will get even more addicted to the game. You'll have real confidence in yourself, the kind that's built on tangible success coming from consistent action taking. You got this far by your decisions, so you have to be doing something right.

Keep your eyes on your dream and make decisions as you go. Guaranteed there will be hundreds of them. Treat every decision as a mathematical problem initially, after a while it becomes instinct. You'll know/feel what to do. Practice makes perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

wzrd

The Creator
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Aug 9, 2014
Portugal
A roller coaster of a post, but I guess that's what makes it so damn motivating.

Cheers for sharing your story!

Michael Raphael

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jul 22, 2013
New York & Florida
I have been scared to spend money on my business, what if it doesnt work out. But that is the idiot in me talking. I definitely am going to spend more money after reading this. What do I lose. If it doesn't work I will try harder. Thank you so much for the boost of confidence, I needed that!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I used to do that! Had all kinds of fears and what if's. Like you said, everything happen. And than the only option left is to succeed. I don't bother with regrets, fears, or what if's anymore. All I have is now. Now I succeed at something every day, or I fail. So, I'm glad you shared this, because it's something we all can end up doing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.