The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Quit my job, living in the fastlane. (How I Set Myself Up To Quit)

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Whats up Fastlaners,

This week was my first week as a full time entrepreneur and making this thread has been on my mind for quite some time. I keep thinking about how i got myself into this position because not too long ago I was literally living in a mobile home making 13/hr. Unlike most corny gurus that say that, that was actually my life and the life I live now is so unbelievably different. This month Ill make more money than I did in a year at my job, i dont set an alarm clock, no one tells me what to do, my companies are growing, and 6 years ago this is exactly what I planned as my "goal by 25" and I wanted to detail how I set myself up to quit so you can too.

My original thread: GOLD! - Its been one year of FLF for me. This forum will change your life and Ill prove it.

Theres a couple of factors and mindset is probably the biggest and im not going to get into it, i read TMF probably 10+ times through and through. Im expecting you already have the mindset.

Here's how I quit.

1. Get a job

The job is your base plate, its your foundation. I started as a customer service rep at 18 and worked my way into a VP of Operations at 24 using the thought process that every job is a stepping stone to getting out of the rat race. You NEED money to build your side hustle/business/investments. So you should constantly be pursing jobs that increase your hourly rate and lower your actual work time.

- I started at a job where I had to clock in and i could barely research or work on my own business.
- By the end i was salary, no schedule, operating my day how I wanted so I could work on my own business.

What should you do with your earned income?
-Live off half
-Save half for your venture
-Leverage the salary to get approved for loans to invest/loc (when applicable)

Most people FAIL with their jobs and trap themselves because they live off of the entire income and build their lifestyle on it.

You should build your business off of your job and build your life on your business.

2. Find Your Need & Build

You should be constantly looking for opportunities to start a business. Something that has the ability to scale far beyond your work income. You need to aim high, dont build a business that would have paid you the same as a job and been way less work and risk unless you truly love it.

Spend your hours after work researching, connecting with people necessary, building, creating, trying.

I would work 9-5, workout till 7:30/8, and study and build until midnight or 1am. To be honest this part consumed me, I didnt hangout with friends, I didnt party, I didnt spend money, all I did was build my idea. Your ability to remove the fear of missing out and remove the judgement of others will determine how far you can go. This part is lonely, the odds of your failure is extremely high (which is why you need the job so you dont lose ground).

This is also the part where this forum comes in handy the threads by BIOPHASE, JASONR, VIGILANTE, ALLENCRAWLEY, And VICK is all the information I needed to build my company. Thats it, those 5 guys and the information on their threads is enough you just need to implement it all. The faster you can try, fail and learn and close feedback loops will prove how quickly you can succeed.

I wish I could give more guidance on this but everyones ideas will be different, everyones process plays out in a different way because we all have different opportunities, passions, thoughts...

3. Kill Your Expenses

If you're serious about living in the fastlane, you need to kill your expenses. What you own will end up owning you and in doing so you wont be able to get out if you dont do this.

My rule of thumb and I still do this is 50/50.

I build my life, 50% is saved immediately in a seperate account I cant see, 30% funds my needs, and 20% funds my wants or gets saved.

The money that you save should be used for opportunity that can create income (businesses, investments). If I make 3k/mo I save 1.5k and leverage that money to build an idea.

If you find that you dont hit the 50/50 rule, Id downsize or find a new job that pays more, drive a wedge in your expenses and income. Sell your car, househack your home, move in with parents.

4. Get the business stable and growing

It's easy to see your business making 5k/mo and think that you've made it so you can quit when you've never made money before. Thats wrong, its shortsighted and you will lose in the long run.

Before I'd ever quit my job I knew that my business had to do 3 things.

1. It needs to pay me. (enough to live)
2. It needs to cover operating costs and any costs associated with the business.
3. It needs to be able to reinvest at a known rate to continue growing.

If you're company is making 5k/mo and you think you can quit your job and pay yourself 3k/mo but your operations are 3k and reinvesting is 2k+ you can see the gap in where you will stunt your growth, suck the money from your business, and eventually need to go get another job.

5. Build your emergency fund

This is hit or miss with some people but ideally your 50/50 lifestyle will continue as you start growing your business and you can continue saving. Before you quit your job you should save 6-12 months of runway so that if your business was not able to pay you you could atleast live off of your emergency fund as you try to figure out the issues that would prevent it from paying you.

If you are keeping your expenses low and not buying frivolous things you should be able to save 6-12 months within 3-6 months.

6. Get a mastermind group going

Im in a mastermind group with a couple of guys from this forum that are where I want to be or in the range that Im currently in. Without those guys Id probably still be at my job. When you have people holding you accountable every week asking you if you got your shit done, why your doing what your doing, where your trajectory is heading, its a MASSIVE advantage over being alone.

Having the expectation that you should not be spending your money on stupid things, building your emergency fund, and quitting your job from other people will keep the pressure on you to do so and prepare you to take the leap.

I hope this provides some insight, I understand its basic but for most people being consistent with it and truly following through is where you'll find success.

Good luck

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
Finally somebody is giving very good advices how to work less in a 9/5 job and starting his own thing.

Love your Post! It is definitely on my watch list to read it again.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Congrats! Happy for you!

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
Whats up Fastlaners,

This week was my first week as a full time entrepreneur and making this thread has been on my mind for quite some time. I keep thinking about how i got myself into this position because not too long ago I was literally living in a mobile home making 13/hr. Unlike most corny gurus that say that, that was actually my life and the life I live now is so unbelievably different. This month Ill make more money than I did in a year at my job, i dont set an alarm clock, no one tells me what to do, my companies are growing, and 6 years ago this is exactly what I planned as my "goal by 25" and I wanted to detail how I set myself up to quit so you can too.

My original thread: GOLD! - Its been one year of FLF for me. This forum will change your life and Ill prove it.

Theres a couple of factors and mindset is probably the biggest and im not going to get into it, i read TMF probably 10+ times through and through. Im expecting you already have the mindset.

Here's how I quit.

1. Get a job

The job is your base plate, its your foundation. I started as a customer service rep at 18 and worked my way into a VP of Operations at 24 using the thought process that every job is a stepping stone to getting out of the rat race. You NEED money to build your side hustle/business/investments. So you should constantly be pursing jobs that increase your hourly rate and lower your actual work time.

- I started at a job where I had to clock in and i could barely research or work on my own business.
- By the end i was salary, no schedule, operating my day how I wanted so I could work on my own business.

-Live off half

Most people FAIL with their jobs and trap themselves because they live off of the entire income and build their lifestyle on it.

You should build your business off of your job and build your life on your business.

You should be constantly looking for opportunities to start a business. Something that has the ability to scale far beyond your work income. You need to aim high, dont build a business that would have paid you the same as a job and been way less work and risk unless you truly love it.

Spend your hours after work researching, connecting with people necessary, building, creating, trying.

I would work 9-5, workout till 7:30/8, and study and build until midnight or 1am. To be honest this part consumed me, I didnt hangout with friends, I didnt party, I didnt spend money, all I did was build my idea. Your ability to remove the fear of missing out and remove the judgement of others will determine how far you can go. This part is lonely, the odds of your failure is extremely high (which is why you need the job so you dont lose ground).

This is also the part where this forum comes in handy the threads by BIOPHASE, JASONR, VIGILANTE, ALLENCRAWLEY, And VICK is all the information I needed to build my company. Thats it, those 5 guys and the information on their threads is enough you just need to implement it all. The faster you can try, fail and learn and close feedback loops will prove how quickly you can succeed.

I wish I could give more guidance on this but everyones ideas will be different, everyones process plays out in a different way because we all have different opportunities, passions, thoughts...

3. Kill Your Expenses

If you're serious about living in the fastlane, you need to kill your expenses. What you own will end up owning you and in doing so you wont be able to get out if you dont do this.

I build my life, 50% is saved immediately in a seperate account I cant see, 30% funds my needs, and 20% funds my wants or gets saved.

The money that you save should be used for opportunity that can create income (businesses, investments). If I make 3k/mo I save 1.5k and leverage that money to build an idea.

If you find that you dont hit the 50/50 rule, Id downsize or find a new job that pays more, drive a wedge in your expenses and income. Sell your car, househack your home, move in with parents.

It's easy to see your business making 5k/mo and think that you've made it so you can quit when you've never made money before. Thats wrong, its shortsighted and you will lose in the long run.

2. It needs to cover operating costs and any costs associated with the business.

If you're company is making 5k/mo and you think you can quit your job and pay yourself 3k/mo but your operations are 3k and reinvesting is 2k+ you can see the gap in where you will stunt your growth, suck the money from your business, and eventually need to go get another job.

This is hit or miss with some people but ideally your 50/50 lifestyle will continue as you start growing your business and you can continue saving. Before you quit your job you should save 6-12 months of runway so that if your business was not able to pay you you could atleast live off of your emergency fund as you try to figure out the issues that would prevent it from paying you.

If you are keeping your expenses low and not buying frivolous things you should be able to save 6-12 months within 3-6 months.

Im in a mastermind group with a couple of guys from this forum that are where I want to be or in the range that Im currently in. Without those guys Id probably still be at my job. When you have people holding you accountable every week asking you if you got your shit done, why your doing what your doing, where your trajectory is heading, its a MASSIVE advantage over being alone.

Having the expectation that you should not be spending your money on stupid things, building your emergency fund, and quitting your job from other people will keep the pressure on you to do so and prepare you to take the leap.

I hope this provides some insight, I understand its basic but for most people being consistent with it and truly following through is where you'll find success.

Good luck

Wow! Awesome job and thank you for sharing.

Point number 6 really resonated with me.

MrYoshi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 15, 2017
Awesome job man, this is inspiring stuff.

Funny enough, I ended up quitting 3 sales jobs without making any revenue with a business. I'm starting to think that maybe I should find a side job (part-time) and live with my parents.

Thanks for this thread man - really helpful to me personally.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
The only way I differed from this was instead of actually building an emergency fund before quitting, I just quit, knowing that the business probably wouldn't fold overnight, and that my "emergency fund" was the skills I now had, that could be deployed at anytime into freelance work.

Congrats @Envision. I'm surprised you held onto the job that long actually... had no idea you were still working!

H:E:A:T

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jul 12, 2019
Germany
Thank you very much. Could you please name the explicit threads of the people you cited? Or do you consider all of them GOLD or even DIAMOND?

Further I wonder how you found your mastermind group? I would appreciate some advice here! And: is there any chance that you do mentoring stuff?

Thank you so much, GOLD Thread here!

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
I've said it before but I'll say it again, congrats my friend! No turning back now, you're finally unleashed. Looking forward to how you continue to build upon your success.

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston

Part 1 is going to be useful for a lot of people here but this in particular really resonated with me. Great post overall!

D

DeletedUser0287

Finally someone spits out some damn truth. People here thinking going into business is free. Anyone that has executed or even tried realizes very quickly it gets expensive. Especially, if you doing something remarkable.

I was a fool before thrashing slowlane, when I should have been thankful. Been unemployed for several months and my venture is literally not moving. Although high potential for me to get a job now around $75k

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Whats up Fastlaners,

Here's how I quit.

1. Get a job

-Live off half

3. Kill Your Expenses

Good luck

Great post, rep + if I could.

Especially as I made some of those mistakes you listed.

Keep smashing it!!!!

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
Thank you everyone, undoubtedly couldn't have done it without this forum.

Thank you very much. Could you please name the explicit threads of the people you cited? Or do you consider all of them GOLD or even DIAMOND?

Further I wonder how you found your mastermind group? I would appreciate some advice here! And: is there any chance that you do mentoring stuff?

Thank you so much, GOLD Thread here!

Read all of their threads, there is not much better to do with your time and you will learn alot. I literally read every single one, go to their username, search the posted by threads and read all of them. It's not one thing its the culmination of understanding that will guide you.

The mastermind is a group of guys from this forum that I got drunk with one night at the summit a couple of years back. Find people you like, who are where you want to be and overtime those relationships can develop.

My marketing team, accounting/bookkeeper, mentors, good friends all originated from this forum and just meeting up with everyone in person.

I dont do mentoring, if you have specific questions send them to me and Im happy to help. But i have too much going on to commit to that.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
MARKED GOLD!

Congrats Roc, very exciting to hear this!

I was a fool before thrashing slowlane

Again, your problem is in your HEAD.

Nothing wrong with a job to acquire capital, grab experience, and fund your progress.

A job only becomes "slowlane" when it's your master plan to get rich and set yourself free, assuming you don't happen to live in Silicon Valley or have access to some inner circle startup.

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Great Post! You have a talent for clear and concise writing, should deffinetly think about writing a book someday ;)

Best

H:E:A:T

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jul 12, 2019
Germany
Thank you everyone, undoubtedly couldn't have done it without this forum.

Read all of their threads, there is not much better to do with your time and you will learn alot. I literally read every single one, go to their username, search the posted by threads and read all of them. It's not one thing its the culmination of understanding that will guide you.
Got ya! And I will do for sure, give me just one week! I am burning for it!
The mastermind is a group of guys from this forum that I got drunk with one night at the summit a couple of years back. Find people you like, who are where you want to be and overtime those relationships can develop.

My marketing team, accounting/bookkeeper, mentors, good friends all originated from this forum and just meeting up with everyone in person.
I can remember I have had an "success think tank" a few years ago but we stopped it and I do not remember why.... I reached out today to one former member who is now travelling the world and living of some marketing stuff and so on... We will talk to each other this week! I am excited about it!Thank you for your input! I am sure I will find some people (maybe even in my country) soon... At the moment I am seraching for nearby "startup meetups" :)

I dont do mentoring, if you have specific questions send them to me and Im happy to help. But i have too much going on to commit to that.
i feel you and I am glad you answered my questions! I would love to get some feedback from you about my journey. It would be much of a help if you just stop by for a second and give me some feedback on it, even the writing stuff ("it is boring as hell to read your journal... consider this: ..."). Not on a regular base but sometimes! I know you are busy but maybe you remember how you started and what you would have loved to know back then! thank you so much :)

Experience is the teacher of all things
I will keep that in mind ;) I am massively into experience right now: How to start? What business to choose that is of REAL value? How to build, register and be succesfull? I definetly take action! I am at point zero and trying to speed up so I can drive the fastlane soon!

Last edited:

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Killin it Roc.
Looking forward to see where you go from here.

Alchemist818

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,200%
Jul 16, 2019
I'm currently 21 working 40+ hours a week making around $500-$700 a week at a warehouse and these past 3yrs I've saved 15%-25% of every paycheck. I created a business about 4 months ago and tomorrow I have an important meeting with my company to implement a system to take their business to the next level. If they see my vision and give me the go ahead my monthly income will increase anywhere from 2,000- 4,000 a month. I plan to work till the end of the year and continually scale up my business with other companies.

phughes1980

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 16, 2019
Great post. Interesting to here someone has executed an exit strategy similar to one I have put in place for myself. I'm not at your level yet, good to see that it can work

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands
Whats up Fastlaners,

Here's how I quit.

1. Get a job

-Live off half

3. Kill Your Expenses

Good luck

Hello Envision,

Really a very interesting post for me at this moment in time. I posted this last week:

Your advice is really spot on in comparison with the advice and support that everyone really kindly gave who answered my cry for help. I was really losing it last week and to be honest I am still in the process of calibrating & working out how to move forward in an effective and efficient manner. They taught me a lot and put my feet firmly back on terra cota.

I wish I had have seen this thread before bothering everyone. You have answered everything they did, and even more than I could wish for. I will be following your progress with keen interest and will also start reading into your mentor/role models.

Thanks very much for your contribution!

B

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
I love how step 1 of "How to set yourself up to quit a job" is getting a job .)

Thanks for sharing!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Envision proud of you! you are going to change the world!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.