The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

To the Slowlaners from a Slowlaner...we CAN do this.

Anything related to matters of the mind

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
If there's anything I learned over the past two years its that you can do anything you put your mind to. For those of us that still haven't merged into the Fastlane yet, all we have to do is get started and trust the words of those who have done it before.

Getting in shape, and I mean really good shape, better than most, has been an amazing journey for me. Its taken effort, determination, time, and going against the grain, but it was and still is worth it. Apart from achieving my fitness goals, its has taught me lessons regarding process that will serve me a lifetime.

I always wish I could...
I've always wanted to be able to hold a handstand. Of course I tried multiple times when I was younger but just fell over. I never committed to learning how. Today, not only can I hold a handstand (though I'm still improving it). I can hold the human flag. I can do one-arm pushups (feet together!). I can do pistol squats. I have a crazy 6-pack plus a mini 6-pack on my back. Its amazing how my body feels today but its something I can't explain.
What's more amazing is how the process philosophy to achieve this carries over to anything.

Start small and easy...very small and easy.
Start small and easy. No one just decides to get in shape and instantly starts doing one-arm pushups. I started this journey literally doing pushups against a wall. Tell any gym-going buff to start there and they'll laugh at you. But its very important to start small. It gets you good form. It gets you quick wins. It builds strength in more than just your muscles. It gets you motivation that you can do this.

It may seem stupid at first, but you will see progress. You won't understand until you're in it.
It may seem stupid to start so simple. You may think "How will I ever get there if I'm doing this?". One day while working on pull-ups, something changed. It was easy. My arms felt different as I pulled my chest up to the bar. They felt solid and strong. It was one little muscle (not so little anymore) by my elbow that made all the difference. It felt good.
That day I realized that there is something to this called process. You may have to blindly trust it. But if you do, you will see results. And you won't really know what the results are or feel like until you experience it for yourself.

You will fail and might not know why. Keep at it and you will get there.
Not all results are created equal. The feeling of strength in my arms was one quick win...but they're not all that way. Yesterday I was working on handstand pushups (against a wall). I started fully extended, bent my arms to touch my head to the ground, then pushed with my arms back up. After a few, I got stuck. I couldn't do any more. I tried to fuel more energy to my muscles but they just wouldn't move. It was weird...nothing hurt. Nothing was sore or aching. I was just frozen mid push-up.
This was failure. I couldn't move and I didn't know why. Which muscles were failing? I had no idea. Was I fatigued? No I felt fine. (And today I'm not sore at all.) I came off the wall and decided that was enough of those for the day. One thing is for sure though: I'm going to keep going. And I know I'll be able to do 15 in a row. Previous steps in my workout have taken me months to achieve, and all with the same feeling of failing, not really know why my body was failing, but knowing that persistence will win me achievement.
I used to look at where I wanted to be and think "it'd be nice if..." or "I wish I could...". Now, I look at where I want to be and think "it'll take time and effort but I know I can do it".

You're excited and want to get others to this way of living...but they're too stuck in their ways.
When passionate about something positive, you will naturally want to share it with others and convince them to join you. I've started training many friends along the way. Unfortunately, we never got much past the start. Truth is, they don't want it like I do. They don't care about it like I do. They don't see or feel the value of the end result (because they haven't done enough of the process yet). Sure I could have spent more time convincing and selling the idea, but sorry, it's not worth my time.

Do it for you. You'll probably be alone, and thats ok.
Eventually, I decided to heck with workout buddies, I'm doing this for me. My fitness level is in the 1% because my dedication to getting there is in the 1%. You won't find many peers among friends and that's ok. You will start out alone...but go at it enough and you will find others with the same mindset (hello TFF). They can motivate, inspire, and maybe even guide you...but its still up to you to do the work.

There is always the next level.
But here's the good news...the journey is limitless. Is one-arm pushups the end? No, what about three-finger pushups? Are free-standing handstands the end? No, what about one-arm handstands. Then one-arm handstand pushups? The list is virtually limitless. It will take years, but its achievable. Its just up to you high high you want to aim.

My workout journey started two years ago. When I first read TMF a couple months ago, it just made sense. The lessons I had learned in fitness were now applicable to finance and freedom. It opened my eyes, and with effort, will open my life.

Onwards and upwards.

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 9.58.45 AM.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Nice body man,
I'm so outta shape atm it is embarassing
But I used to do hollow backs, and planche
Feels great to do it, your body gets great connectivity and it really improves your energy
I'm on the comeback trail right now with it
Starting small with fat guy sit ups, chinups and pushups, as well as hiking in the mountains for a lil cardio
I'm just preparing my muscles to hold my body weight etc to avid injury once I really start working out
Then after my body is fit enough underneath the chubby outer layer I'm going to just do excercise like I've got huge weightbelts on
Then get back into 12 round boxer fitness level doing 30 minutes straight of situps like I used to, lol

Not totally sure how it relates to getting outta the slowlane, just persistence I guess and small steps, and slowly graduating to new levels.
Or perhaps setting simple goals in order to not actionfake. Just focus on whats doable and perfect will come. Steady as she goes.

So maybe from slowlane
Move to weekend work on your biz
And from weekend work move to having a MVP
And from MVP start to create something tangible (sales, retention, conversion, filters)
From tangible stuff move to reduced hours in your slowlane, or a more flexible job and work on boosting the sales
Then from increased sales, drop the slowlane and perfect and finetune the fastlane

Somethin like that
I'm on the second last step, still freelancing a bit to supplement
Boosting sales numbers is my focus for now (succeeding at it) and looking ahead to switch to a good fastlane vehicle (and good fastlane mindset so I'm not sloppy or slow)

Body wise I'm still early in that process lol
I got work to do

Last edited:

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
Thanks RogueInnovation. Glad to year you're already well down the road in your fastlane. You will reach that last step I'm sure.

Just focus on whats doable and perfect will come.
Definitely. We all have to start somewhere. Its where we end up that's really up to us.

Keep working at it, applying these same ideas to your body, and you will get back to 30 minutes straight of sit-ups. That's nuts!!! Good for you :thumbsup:

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
Good stuff man. I also started calisthenics around a year a half ago after an ACL tear forced me away from weighted stuff. You got a real nice handstand and flag. I've recently just got pretty consistent with freestanding handstand push-ups but have never even attempted the flag, right now I'm working up my front and back levers and fundamental strength movements (dips, pulls, squats, etc.)

Also I love how you relate this to the process principle I 100% agree. So many little steps and wins needed to get to any of these advanced movements. I'd say that calisthenics more so than other fitness or athletic activities really encompasses a lot of fastlane ideas. I wonder if there are any other practitioners on these forums. Maybe we could start a fitness/calisthenics thread.

What else you been working on in your calisthenics?
Oh and, whats your approach to diet? looks like you got a good handle on whatever you've been doing ;)

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
right now I'm working up my front and back levers and fundamental strength movements (dips, pulls, squats, etc.)
Nice my friend, keep it up and don't stop! My levers and freestanding handstands still need work, but I'll tell you one thing: really work on your squats. Go all the way down, a$$-to-the-floor style. Then work up to the pistol squat. Do it gradually so you don't hurt yourself and seek a professional if needed. But I've been most surprised and impressed by the strength I've gained once I started repping on one-leg squats.

I'd say that calisthenics more so than other fitness or athletic activities really encompasses a lot of fastlane ideas.
I 100% agree. After I posted this thread I thought a better name would be "Fastlane lessons from a fastlane body". I really think it is...these days I am in control of my workout, the time is minimal, but the results are rich.

Maybe we could start a fitness/calisthenics thread.
Maybe this will turn into one. If not, I'd love to see who else is into it on here.

What else you been working on in your calisthenics?
Oh and, whats your approach to diet?
My main goal now is achieving 1-arm pull-ups, 1-arm pushups, and freestanding handstands. All progressively of course...but I'm getting close. For the pull-ups, my weak spot is my grip...so I'm building that up. For the pushups, the weak spot is somewhere in my elbow or shoulder...only repetition (time, process, failure, etc) with an easier move will solve that. For the handstands, my weak spot is balance which comes down to my finger strength.

Dietwise, I'll admit my metabolism is likely faster than average. But I've always eaten healthy. Though my stomach used to stick out more than I liked, and recently I've gotten it to flatten out, I believe so due to my core/ab workout, and my diet.
Very little to zero junk food.
NO SODA whatsoever. (Maybe one can every 5 years.)
Drink lots and lots of water.
My latest discovery is no more bread / heavy starches.
  • I ran an experiment at In-n-Out: how will not eating the bun make me feel? I ordered a triple burger one day and scoffed it down. They're delicious, but of course I felt bloated and full right afterwards. A few days later I ordered the same triple burger but protein style (no bun).
  • The difference was like night and day. I didn't feel bloated at all. Since then I avoid bread, pasta, buns, rice, etc when possible.
I also avoid milk as I do bread (when possible, convenient, a little here and there isn't going to kill you, etc). Milk/dairy is a highly controversial subject in the health field, but I choose to avoid it. I'll eat yogurt since the bacteria in it help break it down, and I'll eat cheese because its delicious (sorry not giving that one up!). Whatever they say you need from milk you can get from other sources.

So for me, this means no more cereal.
No more protein powder with milk, I use water instead.
No more potatoes or fries, I substitute a salad.
I only drink water and refill my water bottle multiple times throughout the day.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I fully approve of this post.

There are STRONG links between the discipline and process required to achieve any fitness goal and achieving success in the fastlane.

Rep’d strongly.

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
@RayAndré
Yea I have a similar approach to diet. Cutting out dairy is the #1 thing I'd recommend to anyone. Second would probably be cutting out most wheat and grains close second if you are looking to lean out, aside from white rice an a pre/post workout thing.

If balance is an issue on your handstand one of the best drills I have done is practicing shifting your weight around. Make sure you have your fingers slightly arched than purposely start to shift all your weight forward by pulling on the floor with your fingers. You'll begin to banana. When this happens try to shift your weight back towards your palms. And do the opposite, put weight on your palms and before you lose balance start pulling with your fingers.

If you can master this back and forth than balance is easy because you know how to correct. Also if you ever want to do advanced handstand stuff like push-ups or 90 degrees this stuff is a must.

RayAndré

Win From Within
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 7, 2017
Tampa, FL
@Bdenner64
Thanks for the tips! Yes, basically it all comes down to practice practice practice...but knowing how to practice is key, so thank you.

Freestanding handstand pushups and 90 degree pushups are definitely on my list.

Now I just need to figure out how to start the best fastlane for me ;)

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
@Bdenner64
Thanks for the tips! Yes, basically it all comes down to practice practice practice...but knowing how to practice is key, so thank you.

Freestanding handstand pushups and 90 degree pushups are definitely on my list.

Now I just need to figure out how to start the best fastlane for me ;)
Just start one and fail

Tanu1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 4, 2018
If there's anything I learned over the past two years its that you can do anything you put your mind to. For those of us that still haven't merged into the Fastlane yet, all we have to do is get started and trust the words of those who have done it before.

Getting in shape, and I mean really good shape, better than most, has been an amazing journey for me. Its taken effort, determination, time, and going against the grain, but it was and still is worth it. Apart from achieving my fitness goals, its has taught me lessons regarding process that will serve me a lifetime.

I always wish I could...
I've always wanted to be able to hold a handstand. Of course I tried multiple times when I was younger but just fell over. I never committed to learning how. Today, not only can I hold a handstand (though I'm still improving it). I can hold the human flag. I can do one-arm pushups (feet together!). I can do pistol squats. I have a crazy 6-pack plus a mini 6-pack on my back. Its amazing how my body feels today but its something I can't explain.
What's more amazing is how the process philosophy to achieve this carries over to anything.

Start small and easy...very small and easy.
Start small and easy. No one just decides to get in shape and instantly starts doing one-arm pushups. I started this journey literally doing pushups against a wall. Tell any gym-going buff to start there and they'll laugh at you. But its very important to start small. It gets you good form. It gets you quick wins. It builds strength in more than just your muscles. It gets you motivation that you can do this.

It may seem stupid at first, but you will see progress. You won't understand until you're in it.
It may seem stupid to start so simple. You may think "How will I ever get there if I'm doing this?". One day while working on pull-ups, something changed. It was easy. My arms felt different as I pulled my chest up to the bar. They felt solid and strong. It was one little muscle (not so little anymore) by my elbow that made all the difference. It felt good.
That day I realized that there is something to this called process. You may have to blindly trust it. But if you do, you will see results. And you won't really know what the results are or feel like until you experience it for yourself.

You will fail and might not know why. Keep at it and you will get there.
Not all results are created equal. The feeling of strength in my arms was one quick win...but they're not all that way. Yesterday I was working on handstand pushups (against a wall). I started fully extended, bent my arms to touch my head to the ground, then pushed with my arms back up. After a few, I got stuck. I couldn't do any more. I tried to fuel more energy to my muscles but they just wouldn't move. It was weird...nothing hurt. Nothing was sore or aching. I was just frozen mid push-up.
This was failure. I couldn't move and I didn't know why. Which muscles were failing? I had no idea. Was I fatigued? No I felt fine. (And today I'm not sore at all.) I came off the wall and decided that was enough of those for the day. One thing is for sure though: I'm going to keep going. And I know I'll be able to do 15 in a row. Previous steps in my workout have taken me months to achieve, and all with the same feeling of failing, not really know why my body was failing, but knowing that persistence will win me achievement.
I used to look at where I wanted to be and think "it'd be nice if..." or "I wish I could...". Now, I look at where I want to be and think "it'll take time and effort but I know I can do it".

You're excited and want to get others to this way of living...but they're too stuck in their ways.
When passionate about something positive, you will naturally want to share it with others and convince them to join you. I've started training many friends along the way. Unfortunately, we never got much past the start. Truth is, they don't want it like I do. They don't care about it like I do. They don't see or feel the value of the end result (because they haven't done enough of the process yet). Sure I could have spent more time convincing and selling the idea, but sorry, it's not worth my time.

Do it for you. You'll probably be alone, and thats ok.
Eventually, I decided to heck with workout buddies, I'm doing this for me. My fitness level is in the 1% because my dedication to getting there is in the 1%. You won't find many peers among friends and that's ok. You will start out alone...but go at it enough and you will find others with the same mindset (hello TFF). They can motivate, inspire, and maybe even guide you...but its still up to you to do the work.

There is always the next level.
But here's the good news...the journey is limitless. Is one-arm pushups the end? No, what about three-finger pushups? Are free-standing handstands the end? No, what about one-arm handstands. Then one-arm handstand pushups? The list is virtually limitless. It will take years, but its achievable. Its just up to you high high you want to aim.

My workout journey started two years ago. When I first read TMF a couple months ago, it just made sense. The lessons I had learned in fitness were now applicable to finance and freedom. It opened my eyes, and with effort, will open my life.

Onwards and upwards.

View attachment 16602

Power of Habit and consistency. Inspiring.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.