The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread // Accountability

Idea threads

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
I have been hesitant to start a progress thread on this forum for a while now. But after beating around the bush for some time, I decided to commit and go in (Thank you @Spenny for the motivation :) )

My Experiences and what I have learned so far:

I joined the forum in January, posted the usual intro and then disappeared, like many of the forum users. The time in between was spent action faking and lurking, thinking I had blockbuster ideas, trying them out and quitting after a couple of weeks. I always felt like I’m running around in circles and not getting anywhere, which, after reading Chapter 28 in Unscripted , I realized I wasn’t activating the feedback loop.

Also, @Andy Black helped me realize how I got all wrong. I was focusing too much on what to build and how, and I forgot who to help and why.

With this in mind, I decided to integrate more with the market, or put simply, being more active. I gravitated towards YouTube since that was where I consumed the most content from.

I already had a channel going, but I was just uploading for the sake of taking action – sometimes even the wrong action is an action fake.

So I looked into why my channel sucked. Didn’t need to look far, I was just recording a video of me talking and putting it up. This brought in no views. So I researched a bit more and ended up improving on the title and thumbnail. This brought in a night and day difference in views, although watch time is still low. Next step would be to make video more entertaining, perhaps some visual edits, although I don’t want to go into that route of heavily edited videos (think James Jani) for the simple reason that I don’t like those types of videos.

Now that I’m writing this out, I realized, it’s not what I like and want, it’s what the market wants. So perhaps I’ll try my hand in an edited vid, see the reaction of it.

I also tried my hand in uploading shorts. Again, impressive results; One short got more views then two of my full effort vids. But views and metrics are just numbers on the screen, I need to interact more.

I was thinking of implementing an email list in the description of the videos. The reasoning: get potential fans into something I own, while building a relationship with them

What I’m planning to do:

Research more into video editing skills (right now I use the free service Clip Champ), look into building an email list, and poke the cat a bit more so to speak, as I still have no idea what or how, but my idea is to build an audience and then move on from there.

I know YouTube isn’t CENTS certified (no control, easy entry, no particular demand for it), but I’ll use it as a vehicle to get me in front of potential clients. I see it as a steppingstone, albeit a risky one. YouTube is too saturated? Yeah, I’ll decide.

As of yet, I am not inclined to spread around on other platforms since I don’t know frequent them that much and their addictive nature, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle it yet (I don’t use any social media platform), perhaps when the channel is grown.

So for next time (for myself):

• Look into better video editing
  • Look into email lists
  • Maintain a regular upload schedule
  • Act until echo (comments on vids)
Still don't know if this is the way forward for me, but to sum it up, I just want to see what the market wants and this is what I thought up of as of now.

Any comments are greatly appreciated and thank you for reading, and until next time.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
You've taken the steps towards something, that's superb! Come back and make this a weekly thing, keep yourself accountable. Plus it acts as a good measure to see if you're just spinning your wheels or getting somewhere.

I don't know much about YouTube and how to make engaging content, perhaps my mate @AlexYega can give some top tips? He's been doing well with YouTube.

Nostalgia

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 21, 2023
I have been hesitant to start a progress thread on this forum for a while now. But after beating around the bush for some time, I decided to commit and go in (Thank you @Spenny for the motivation :) )

My Experiences and what I have learned so far:

I joined the forum in January, posted the usual intro and then disappeared, like many of the forum users. The time in between was spent action faking and lurking, thinking I had blockbuster ideas, trying them out and quitting after a couple of weeks. I always felt like I’m running around in circles and not getting anywhere, which, after reading Chapter 28 in Unscripted , I realized I wasn’t activating the feedback loop.

Also, @Andy Black helped me realize how I got all wrong. I was focusing too much on what to build and how, and I forgot who to help and why.

With this in mind, I decided to integrate more with the market, or put simply, being more active. I gravitated towards YouTube since that was where I consumed the most content from.

I already had a channel going, but I was just uploading for the sake of taking action – sometimes even the wrong action is an action fake.

So I looked into why my channel sucked. Didn’t need to look far, I was just recording a video of me talking and putting it up. This brought in no views. So I researched a bit more and ended up improving on the title and thumbnail. This brought in a night and day difference in views, although watch time is still low. Next step would be to make video more entertaining, perhaps some visual edits, although I don’t want to go into that route of heavily edited videos (think James Jani) for the simple reason that I don’t like those types of videos.

Now that I’m writing this out, I realized, it’s not what I like and want, it’s what the market wants. So perhaps I’ll try my hand in an edited vid, see the reaction of it.

I also tried my hand in uploading shorts. Again, impressive results; One short got more views then two of my full effort vids. But views and metrics are just numbers on the screen, I need to interact more.

I was thinking of implementing an email list in the description of the videos. The reasoning: get potential fans into something I own, while building a relationship with them

What I’m planning to do:

Research more into video editing skills (right now I use the free service Clip Champ), look into building an email list, and poke the cat a bit more so to speak, as I still have no idea what or how, but my idea is to build an audience and then move on from there.

I know YouTube isn’t CENTS certified (no control, easy entry, no particular demand for it), but I’ll use it as a vehicle to get me in front of potential clients. I see it as a steppingstone, albeit a risky one. YouTube is too saturated? Yeah, I’ll decide.

As of yet, I am not inclined to spread around on other platforms since I don’t know frequent them that much and their addictive nature, I don’t think I’ll be able to handle it yet (I don’t use any social media platform), perhaps when the channel is grown.

So for next time (for myself):

• Look into better video editing
  • Look into email lists
  • Maintain a regular upload schedule
  • Act until echo (comments on vids)
Still don't know if this is the way forward for me, but to sum it up, I just want to see what the market wants and this is what I thought up of as of now.

Any comments are greatly appreciated and thank you for reading, and until next time.
What niche are you deciding to get into?

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 30, 2022
You've taken the steps towards something, that's superb! Come back and make this a weekly thing, keep yourself accountable. Plus it acts as a good measure to see if you're just spinning your wheels or getting somewhere.

I don't know much about YouTube and how to make engaging content, perhaps my mate @AlexYega can give some top tips? He's been doing well with YouTube.
Glad to see another person interested in YouTube lol. I wouldn't say I'm doing well, but I'm definitely committed to it.

I think the main piece of advice is that you need to actually enjoy making videos or just have a higher purpose than just making money.

YouTube takes a long time (>2 years) for 99% of people to actually see any results so you should be doing it to serve a purpose you believe in or else you won't last the 2 years.

I think you already know this, but I just wanted to emphasize it since there's probably much more straightforward, faster ways to make money plus being an influencer is quite different to being a CEO.

Instead of being at the top of the pyramid where you don't actually need to work everyday, you sit at the bottom. MrBeast can't be MrBeast without MrBeast lol.

It is "saturated" I guess which is why the people that are in it for the money won't last since they won't last the minimum of 2 years of consistent effort it needs.

Here's my main actual tip:

Focus on quantity not quality (unless you have previous filmmaking experience). Make as many videos as possible right now and improve them each time, whether its thumbnails, flow, music, cinematography, retention, etc.

Execution is what matters most on YouTube, too many people just overthink what they should do. Just make the videos.

This is all general advice you'll kind of hear anywhere, but here's my personal take on where I think social media is going.

I think we're taking a turn from the sort of soulless content that YouTube is right now where retention is prioritized. MrBeast's era of constant retention, bigger stunts, constant over-editing is kind of getting old.

People want connection and authenticity. If you can build an audience that actually connects with you as a person (Hamza and Ryan Trahan are good examples), your successfully building a brand.

Oh yeah also try to use short-form (YouTube shorts, Instagram, Tiktok) for attracting your target audience, then use long-form to keep them in/make them invested in you as a brand.

Hope that helped, good luck!

Last edited:

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
Thanks for your replies guys!
Come back and make this a weekly thing, keep yourself accountable. Plus it acts as a good measure to see if you're just spinning your wheels or getting somewhere.

Yep, will try to keep a routine out of it.

What niche are you deciding to get into?

Still haven't figured this one out, that's the point of this thread. I guess like poking the cat and waiting for a meow, so to speak.

I think the main piece of advice is that you need to actually enjoy making videos or just have a higher purpose than just making money.

Yes, absolutely, and not only for YouTube per se. I fell into the trap of following the hot new trends and what others tell you is working right now, without any meaning and purpose behind my actions. Now I think I found out a higher purpose, that of helping people. I just don't know how yet specifically, hence the point of this thread.

MrBeast can't be MrBeast without MrBeast

This actually makes more sense then it seems hahaha

Focus on quantity not quality (unless you have previous filmmaking experience). Make as many videos as possible right now and improve them each time, whether its thumbnails, flow, music, cinematography, retention, etc.

Exactly, not churning out videos for the sake of it, but using them as a stepping stone for your next one. Learned this the hard way, where I was uploading daily for the sake of 'taking action' but ended up with no results. Decided instead to consistently upload at least once a week, where some element changes from the previous.

Ah I see you know about Hamza as well. What's your take on him?
Personally, I was addicted to his videos for a while, so I view him in a bit of a negative light...
Also good luck on your journey as well @AlexYega!

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Ah I see you know about Hamza as well. What's your take on him?
Got me to read millionaires fastlane, which lead me to flf, but remember he's guy that spent his uni sleeping around and partying. He's now built and empire by tapping into self improvement and memes put together, kudos to him.

Some parts are great others not so, chasing short term flings & being manipulative gets someone nowhere, you just become trash. It only satisfies our inner hedon. Also selling a £997 course on becoming a gym monster is well overpriced for the value provided.

I think the problem with it is that it's an easy action fake. It's too simple to watch and watch and watch and do nothing. Then people pay the next level up to feel like they're doing something. I've seen people go through this exact process.

Nostalgia

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 21, 2023
Got me to read millionaires fastlane, which lead me to flf, but remember he's guy that spent his uni sleeping around and partying. He's now built and empire by tapping into self improvement and memes put together, kudos to him.

Some parts are great others not so, chasing short term flings & being manipulative gets someone nowhere, you just become trash. It only satisfies our inner hedon. Also selling a £997 course on becoming a gym monster is well overpriced for the value provided.

I think the problem with it is that it's an easy action fake. It's too simple to watch and watch and watch and do nothing. Then people pay the next level up to feel like they're doing something. I've seen people go through this exact process.
I went through a good couple of months being absolutely obsessed with him - it felt like he had all the answers and from there, honestly, felt like I was mind controlled.

Obsessively watching him, Obsessively following him. I'm very glad to be out of that now, and I don't watch him anymore. But I am insanely grateful for discovering him as now I incorporate mediation, gratitude journaling and working out in my daily routine. But once you have the pillars done and the mindset, you really don't need to continue watching him, as you said, it's an action fake.

Last edited:

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023

I went through a good couple of months being absolutely obsessed with him - it felt like he had all the answers and from their, honestly, felt like I was mind controlled.

Obsessively watching him, Obsessively following him. I'm very glad to be out of that now, and I don't watch him anymore. But I am insanely grateful for discovering him as now I incorporate mediation, gratitude journaling and working out in my daily routine. But once you have the pillars done and the mindset, you really don't need to continue watching him, as you said, it's an action fake.

Exactly! It's a relief to hear others have similar opinions on this.

I think what's making him famous is people's insecurities. Get a bunch of teens who are going through puberty, get them on this journey of self-improvement and set it up in a way that, everyone else not going through the same journey is an enemy. Lo and behold, you end up being isolated and getting more attracted to what he offers. Vicious cycle.

But, he managed to make huge success and climb out of whatever hell he was living in, so mad respect to that. Just don't evangelize his content yeah?

I discovered flf through some random comment on a Youtube vid on "Top 10 books to read" or something like that, so at least not through Hamza. I learned how to quit consuming social media through him, so that's something to be grateful for.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
I think what's making him famous is people's insecurities.
This goes a lot deeper than just Hamza. It's a whole web, the manosphere.

"Hamza has big muscles & so much confidence, I want that"

"Tate has so many cars and a nice house overseas, I want that"

"Rollo Tomasi has a great (lmao) way of approaching women, I want to be a rational male."

They give you answers & you have a lot of veils pulled away from your questions to reveal answers.

Key stage is the next bit: where do you direct your energy?

Being angry and going down the black pill route?
Going full MGTOW and "monk mode".
Binging right wing content, blaming feminists for all of your short comings?

Or do you choose to chew the meat, spit out the bones of all of their content, go to the gym, figure how to stop being useless, get healthy, bin off toxic stuff for you, set goals, achieve goals, set more goals, achieve more goals, find communities that push you, challenge you & keep you working hard?

I've been on both sides of the fence and I 100% would pick the latter, even if it's "harder".

JaaYu

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 30, 2022
Still haven't figured this one out, that's the point of this thread. I guess like poking the cat and waiting for a meow, so to speak.
You'll narrow it down as you post more videos I'd say but if your goal is to help people on YouTube, you yourself kind of need to figure what type of audience you want to serve and how.

It doesn't need to be specific right now, but you should be aware of a broad description of who it could be. Then, as you make videos you'll narrow it down further.

You'll probably get some sort of an idea of who it is with your own experiences, hobbies, and interests.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I think we're taking a turn from the sort of soulless content that YouTube is right now where retention is prioritized.
Yeah, I suspect all the AI tools to help create and edit content is flooding YouTube with more faceless drivel.

People want connection and authenticity.
Which means this will stand out.

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
Haven’t been active for while since I’ve been on vacation back home. I didn’t take time off from my entrepreneurial endeavors however, just tried different approaches.

First off, what I wrote from last time. Although I was away for quite some time, I still managed to keep a somewhat regular upload schedule (missed 3 days, other than that it was daily shorts). I have researched better techniques and editing (mainly coupling sound with movement). And I’ve also set up a Sub-stack account, although it’s devoid of any content at the moment (need to fix this).

Ok then, what have I been up to? Realizing the importance of helping others, instead of building stuff without knowing what they want, I did my utmost to get out there. I called up old friends to meet up and hang out (note these were people I hadn’t talked to for years and I am (was) an introverted person) which led to good times and helping me fine tune my ideas and goals.

While I was there, my old boss called to help out in a charity event (basically prepping and serving food to over 300 people). I decided to help out voluntarily, connecting with other like-minded people in the catering industry. (Goes to show as well that you should never leave your place of work with an argument. You never know what opportunities arise).

Oh, and I did what the trend seems to be going around on the forums; washed cars and windows. Although they were all family members, I still felt as if I was giving value. Didn’t charge any money as I wanted it to be from the heart. Perhaps I should’ve knocked on the neighbours’ doors?

And I also helped out by baking cakes, cooking food, and giving advice on recipes (again all family related).

Overall, I received some good feedback through all this, and I also got to speak about my entrepreneurial ambitions with others, which helped me make it more real and achievable, not this lofty goal I read on the internet.

What I got out of this: firmer understanding of how this game works, greater connections and stronger determination to get there.

Although I still don’t know what I need to ‘build’ (although I might have some ideas - will write about it later...), I’ll continue helping people in the meantime. Will continue YouTube as well, since it’s a good marketing skill to refine and have at your disposal later on in your career.

Until next time.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Oh, and I did what the trend seems to be going around on the forums; washed cars and windows. Although they were all family members, I still felt as if I was giving value. Didn’t charge any money as I wanted it to be from the heart. Perhaps I should’ve knocked on the neighbours’ doors?
Cool thing, you could ask for reviews from them later as a favour to pay you back. Could be the beginning of car detailing, you may want to look at @perchboy's thread on this.

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
I think I figured out who to help and why. Or at least, uncovered a potential pain point which could be worked on. Let me explain.

So I work in a hotel kitchen, and as you can imagine, we have recipes upon recipes. As of writing, we use a google docs (over 30 pages) to search for a singular recipe. Let’s just say that to find a particular dish, you have to scroll through, and it isn’t very efficient (search function on google docs doesn’t work properly on all phones). This is echoed by my colleagues at work as well.

Also, we change menus every season, and recently we switched to summer concept. As part of my initiative, every time we change menus, I create a smaller doc to have all the necessary recipes easily accessible in 2-3 pages to then share them with the kitchen. However, this is a pain to do since recipes have to be copied and pasted over from the main file, and then adjusted according to the ingredients used. And repeated four times for each menu change in the year.

So my idea was to help people with this same problem. Truth be told, I had this idea circulating around my head to design an app (even posted about it way back in January? February?) but never got round to it. But perhaps building an app isn’t the ONLY solution here, but I think I’m getting nearer to the Who and Why.

With regards to the app, after a quick search on recipe apps, the majority of them seem to be geared towards family and home cooking (Paprika, Mela, Whisk, Pestle) and after questioning some chefs on Reddit (there’s a forum apparently) most of them use pen and paper. But, after talking with my friends at work (chefs as well) most of them seem keen on a good easy solution to store and retrieve recipes. Part of my search as well, I came across Umami, another recipe app still in development, but looks to be promising in its field. Enter the Crowded Room Myth, doesn’t mean that everyone else is doing it then it isn’t a good idea, just skew value better.

Also, I say that perhaps an app isn’t the only solution because others say that perhaps you should give from what you already know, and then learn according to what the market needs.

I guess I won’t know until I try. In the mean time I’ll keep up with posting on Youtube to maintain a brand and learn marketing skills (basically not getting shy in front of the camera – it actually does work, since the more I do it the more relaxed I become!).

Until next time.

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
Cool thing, you could ask for reviews from them later as a favour to pay you back. Could be the beginning of car detailing, you may want to look at @perchboy's thread on this.
Thanks for the tip! May look into it if I ever decide to quit my job. Right now, where I work I'm also developing skills related to the field (culinary) so I'll kind of keep at it since you'll only get better if you keep practicing the trade

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
How has no one commented on this thread about this idea? This is superb, having something that can be tailored to chefs in creating fast recipes!

even posted about it way back in January? February?

Get started on making the MVP for this immediately. You cannot afford to spend another six months pondering on this. You're doing a disservice to those who need your solution.

• Select a way to make this (something compatible with what people use in kitchens
  • Add in features to make recipes quickly (search bar, drop-down selection menus) & easy ways to change amounts.
  • Then has an area where you can have text for the recipe. In terms of organising, have it so that people can select the meal (eg dinner menu, specials).
  • Get it in front of people, and use it yourself, you are the end user.
  • The key sell? Faster, less headache, less chaos. Kitchens must be quick.

It doesn't matter if you don't know how to make apps or programs, you can learn. I did it with CAD & it was as simple as asking Google:

1. Best beginner software for CAD?
  2. How do I draw a line?
  3. How do I draw a circle?
  4. How do I make text?

. . . 267. The final product is created. Begin selling.​

Further development ideas
  • You could not only be an app that organises recipes, but you could have it be an exploratory recipe maker - displaying complementary spices, flavours, and even dishes. This will be great for exploration & not wasting time doing R&D in the kitchen, saving ingredients & time.
  • Individualise it for different types of chefs. A sushi chef is not the same as someone in a burger van.

Last edited:

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
Thank you for your reply@Spenny!

Get it in front of people, and use it yourself, you are the end user.
Exactly! This would be something I'd potentially use in my day to day.

It doesn't matter if you don't know how to make apps or programs, you can learn
Growth mindset vs a fixed one.

OK will look into it more. And keep it simple all the way until launch.

Will write back with how progress goes then!

Tomco

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 9, 2023
It’s been a while. Long story short devoted myself fully to learning how to code. After looking at the various different coding languages out there, I settled on React Native since it could be deployed across both IOS and Android.

Found a couple videos on Youtube and followed them thoroughly. Although they were out of my scope (they were geared towards integrating API’s and building a Job posting app) I’m getting the gist of this coding thing. Truth be told though, it’s immensely difficult and sometimes I feel like I’m a fish out of the water, completely unsure if what I’m doing is making sense. Sometimes the code breaks for no reason and I just want to chuck everything out of the window honestly. But I still keep coming back to it.

So far, I’ve only done tutorials, but I have also slowly started to build the foundation for the test version (Prototype’s done as well, there’s a website which lets you drag and drop components, pretty neat).

Again, I’m finding it difficult to justify learning something new to help people (see this thread: NOTABLE! - What if you already know enough?) so at work and whenever I’m with people, I constantly engage and seek conversations. I made it a habit of learning each person’s name that I meet, and I try to use it more often in the conversation. This actually works as well, since I notice more people started calling me by my name as well, so that’s a nice bonus.

Apart from that, kept producing videos on Youtube (basically it’s me explaining books I’ve read to help others understand the concepts more concisely). This might be seen as spreading my self too thin, focusing on more than one thing. I justify this by telling myself that I’m improving my social skills. Might be wrong, will see later on.

Also, at work I’ve switched to summer shifts now, so I have “less” time, but I still get to go to the gym 5 times a week and produce something (small) everyday in my own free time; which, as far as priorities go, I think its fine as well. I just have less time to learn other things, like browsing this forum.

Anyways, thanks to anyone still reading this and catch you in the next one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.