The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Dude this was awesome.

I've taken a few FB ads courses and they don't talk about half the stuff you do here.

I'm getting good price leads on Facebook Ads... but I just went into my audiences and did some editing based on your ideas... I found some countries and age brackets to be 3x the price of the cheapest... so I removed them.

It's going to be interesting to see how my ads perform this week...! Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
@SamRussell - Wondering how it has been.

Any updates?
Thanks for following up eliquid.

Yeah - overall, my cost per opt in has decreased, which is great. This, combined with reading a copywriting book recommended on another thread, has made my campaign come close to breaking even / possibly making a small profit.

The next edit to make to my targeting is to look at geographical data. I didn't want to edit demographics and geography at the same time. It's been a little while since I edited the demographics, so the geographic data has had some time to build up.

Part of my sales funnel is a survey to people to don't buy, so the survey combined with this stuff... I think another month or two of testing and I'll be in a position to start thinking about scaling my campaign up.

I'm adding a guitar lessons membership to my offer... which, in theory, will make breaking even / profiting on my ad spend a LOT easier (and gives me a nice recurring income product I'll be promoting in addition to the music)

Danny01

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jan 20, 2019
Can someone link me to a sample of a good landing page preferably with Just mobile telephone number, a request-for-call-back form and maybe an address

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

I approached the sites and offered to pay them based on CPM to place my PIXEL on their site.

Yeah, a pixel.

No ads cluttering up their site, no competitor telling me no, and no split testing to find a CTA.

I simply told them I would pay them $2 per 1,000 impressions that my pixel triggered from their site. My pixel was just a piece of Javascript that sat on their page just like any ol Google Analytics pixel would.

Uh?

This wasn't just any pixel, it was a remarketing pixel.

@eliquid curious about adding a tracking pixel to other's sites...
Has GDPR / other privacy laws hindered your ability to use this method?

The plan is to remarket with display ads + build a FB lookalike audience from people who view a page on niche sites -- specifically service directories.

(Pinging @Tom.V this is what I told you about earlier)

Last edited by a moderator:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
This is a old method. I haven't used it since all the new privacy laws, so I couldn't really give info on it pertaining to it.

Last time I had to use this method was years ago.

It shouldn't hinder things though. Everyone has a privacy policy and terms of use page now that should cover this. I see no real difference in this and an affiliate pixel that collects retargeting information.

Exhosa

Cool Title
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 24, 2018
Bulgaria/Turkey
Just finished reading the whole thread. Thank you very much for sharing, much appreciated. Could you recommend some learning material for paid advertising? Could be some websites/blogs/forums/courses or anything you can recommend. As you know and said yourself, a lot of "gurus" and noise out there which is hard to filter out for someone new.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Just finished reading the whole thread. Thank you very much for sharing, much appreciated. Could you recommend some learning material for paid advertising? Could be some websites/blogs/forums/courses or anything you can recommend. As you know and said yourself, a lot of "gurus" and noise out there which is hard to filter out for someone new.

You should try @Andy Black course. I don't have the link handy, maybe Andy can post in here?

If for some reason you can not do that, I would try to get certified for what you want to learn as the next best option. If you want to do Facebook, get Facebook Blueprint certified. If Google Ads, get Google Ads certified.

The training is free from both, but not the best.

I would go with Andy's course instead.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You should try @Andy Black course. I don't have the link handy, maybe Andy can post in here?

If for some reason you can not do that, I would try to get certified for what you want to learn as the next best option. If you want to do Facebook, get Facebook Blueprint certified. If Google Ads, get Google Ads certified.

Thanks @eliquid. Personally, I wouldn't bother with certifications. Learn enough to get started, then keep a lid on spend and learn by managing live campaigns. Managing live campaigns is the only real way to learn.

@Exhosa ... My free stuff and my course are in my signature, and here:

Benedict

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Nov 16, 2019
Thanks so much for the post! Helped a lot!

I have started my first FB Ad Campaign in order to evaluate / proof my online course idea.

Just used your advice on targeting audiences super-specific. Switched age to 5y span, males and only FB feed placement. Will see how it goes.

Especially the part of the "doers" gave me another hit to just go and learn while I pay with the burnt money. I am always a little bit too frugal with the money I have...

If the proof is working out in my favor, I will definitely go for affiliates, too.

Don't want to ask anything - you have already given a LOT! Thanks!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Just wanted to bump, for those out there in these times looking for ways to learn more during corona

Cruiser

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Sep 28, 2014
Just wanted to bump, for those out there in these times looking for ways to learn more during corona
Just finished reading the thread, amazing job.
Thank you very much!
Are you still taking clients?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Just finished reading the thread, amazing job.
Thank you very much!
Are you still taking clients?
I take on select clients at times.
PM me and let me know your needs.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Just bumping. Had several people Liking the thread recently and I got alerted on it.

Thought I would bump for new members.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012

man you are an OG around here now. Good to see you still here.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
With Q4 started and the holiday shopping gearing up, thought I would bump

Menery

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 22, 2019
With Q4 started and the holiday shopping gearing up, thought I would bump
Hey @eliquid

I wonder if you have some advice for a recruiting funnel for local businesses.

We are looking for recent , or soon to be engineering graduates.

I thought about facebook and IG ads ==> dedicated landing Page where its dead simple to apply ==> retargeting for everbody that spent x minutes on the page.

tmb22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 8, 2018
USA
Hey @eliquid thanks for the thread. I got some questions. I just launched our first FB ads campaign two days ago. I did 1 campaign, 3 ad sets, and 3 ads per ad set. I did the same exact 3 ads, but to a different audience in each ad set. I set a $10 daily budget and did campaign budget optimization.

Is that too low of a budget with 9 ads?
How do you like to go about setting a budget?
Can you recommend some benchmarks for CPC, CPM, CTR, frequency, cost per purchase, etc.? We sell clothes
How long do you let the ads run before making any changes?

Thanks man!

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Hey @eliquid

I wonder if you have some advice for a recruiting funnel for local businesses.

We are looking for recent , or soon to be engineering graduates.

I thought about facebook and IG ads ==> dedicated landing Page where its dead simple to apply ==> retargeting for everbody that spent x minutes on the page.

Sorry about the delay. I turned off notifications a while ago from the forum and just realized it also turned off notifications on my own posts.

I think that would work, but it would prob work better if you added in LinkedIn too.

You could also try to hit up job sites and see if you can place ads on their respected pages for that degree/work

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Hey @eliquid thanks for the thread. I got some questions. I just launched our first FB ads campaign two days ago. I did 1 campaign, 3 ad sets, and 3 ads per ad set. I did the same exact 3 ads, but to a different audience in each ad set. I set a $10 daily budget and did campaign budget optimization.

Is that too low of a budget with 9 ads?
How do you like to go about setting a budget?
Can you recommend some benchmarks for CPC, CPM, CTR, frequency, cost per purchase, etc.? We sell clothes
How long do you let the ads run before making any changes?

Thanks man!

Yeah $10 is way too low I feel.

If this is a legit business ( even if new ), you should easily have $100 to play with for a campaign budget.

Sure, that might end up $700 over 7 days, but you will gain most of the data you need.

FB needs traffic to tweak their pixel for your campaign. You might want to think about having a throwaway budget for the first 60 days in that regard for FB. It's not really throwaway, since it's gathering data and optimizations.

Better yet, what's your target?

Do you have $10 shirts that you can only allow $3 in ad spend before a conversion?

Or do you have $100 shirts that you can allow $60 in ad spend before a conversion?

Based on the above, is how you start to figure out what you can afford to spend and build up a target.

I can run ads to a product I know I get a $61 CPA on. I am profitable on any amount below $61. However, for safety reasons, I want to spend up to $50 so I can make $11 profit per conversion.

Based on that, I'm might be willing to spend 3x the CPA before I make a conversion to consider something a failure somewhere. Either the ad, the targeting, the LP, the checkout funnel, etc.

So I'm gonna let that ad run up to $183 today before I turn it off and investigate. I'll investigate and make changes and do the exact same tomorrow to $183, and again the next day to $183.

If after 3 days of fully running I am still at a 0 conversions, I'd prob give up. - but this is based on me, someone that has been doing this for years and built up a "gut" instinct and picking the best targets and ad copy going into the campaign build. You may have not done this, so maybe you need to allow more.

However, if on day 2 or 3 I start to get conversions... I'll keep tweaking forward into day 4 and 5 and 6 even if I am not profitable yet.

Of note, this is 1 ad we are talking about above.

If you have 9 ads, each of those need their proper time and ad spend and data collection too.

JRyan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 23, 2019
@eliquid Thanks so much. Priceless information right here. I would go with @andy course as you have suggested for a newbie

tmb22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Dec 8, 2018
USA
Yeah $10 is way too low I feel.

If this is a legit business ( even if new ), you should easily have $100 to play with for a campaign budget.

Sure, that might end up $700 over 7 days, but you will gain most of the data you need.

FB needs traffic to tweak their pixel for your campaign. You might want to think about having a throwaway budget for the first 60 days in that regard for FB. It's not really throwaway, since it's gathering data and optimizations.

Better yet, what's your target?

Do you have $10 shirts that you can only allow $3 in ad spend before a conversion?

Or do you have $100 shirts that you can allow $60 in ad spend before a conversion?

Based on the above, is how you start to figure out what you can afford to spend and build up a target.

I can run ads to a product I know I get a $61 CPA on. I am profitable on any amount below $61. However, for safety reasons, I want to spend up to $50 so I can make $11 profit per conversion.

Based on that, I'm might be willing to spend 3x the CPA before I make a conversion to consider something a failure somewhere. Either the ad, the targeting, the LP, the checkout funnel, etc.

So I'm gonna let that ad run up to $183 today before I turn it off and investigate. I'll investigate and make changes and do the exact same tomorrow to $183, and again the next day to $183.

If after 3 days of fully running I am still at a 0 conversions, I'd prob give up. - but this is based on me, someone that has been doing this for years and built up a "gut" instinct and picking the best targets and ad copy going into the campaign build. You may have not done this, so maybe you need to allow more.

However, if on day 2 or 3 I start to get conversions... I'll keep tweaking forward into day 4 and 5 and 6 even if I am not profitable yet.

Of note, this is 1 ad we are talking about above.

If you have 9 ads, each of those need their proper time and ad spend and data collection too.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I kinda figured you would say all that. I guess I was just reluctant to start off that high. So, our average order is $67.91, which would make us about $33 on average. And 2 months in, 20.17% of our customers are returning, so I'm cool with breaking even on ads for now.

If I'm spending $100/day, what size potential reach should I be targeting?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Hey all!

So for 2022, I am going to giving up a few things.. one of which is spending time on forums/social media.

This isn't for any bad reason, but to spend more time on other ventures and personal things.

I won't be updating this thread, so if you post questions and thoughts I didn't want you to think I ignored you if you are seeking an answer and I don't reply.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Almost a 6-month long semi-break.

Things are changing a lot in paid advertising. Hope you all have been hitting it hard!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Almost a 6-month long semi-break.

Things are changing a lot in paid advertising. Hope you all have been hitting it hard!
Welcome back Jason.

What’s the biggest changes you’ve seen in the last 6 months?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Welcome back Jason.

What’s the biggest changes you’ve seen in the last 6 months?

Thanks

Only going to comment on what I have been "hands on" myself, but....

1. Facebook issues ranging from iOS 14 to iOS 15 and tracking, along with removal of targeting categories is making FB a ghost town for advertisers. Not saying it's dead because it's not, but so many advertisers have had to pull out and stop advertising or totally change their approach that it's looking like a ghost town for a lot of industries.

2. TikTok is the place to be, if you can pull it off. When it fails, it fails hard. When it's good, it's some of the best you can get outside of Search. Their ad manager is just bullocks though. Many people that jumped off Facebook, jumped into TikTok. Sadly though, only a few of them got TikTok right.

3. Google is really pushing more automation on us within Google Ads. Which I hate in general, but the performance has really improved though with their AI/Automation. One of my best campaigns right now is a Performance Max campaign that is largely automated, but it just scares me when it starts to break or go bad how I am even going to attempt to fix since it's one of those campaign types that largely has removed a lot of "tweaking" compared to a normal Search campaign.

4. The move to GA4 is really causing people stress for lots of reasons. Pixel changes, updates, moving of reports and changes all seem to have people up in arms. I'm glad for most of what I do, I use the reporting on the platform instead of a 3rd party like Analytics for 90% of my work.

5. I'm seeing more interest from people outside of Google, MSN, Facebook, Tiktok now. More than ever before. Especially in native or pop or other PPC type traffic sources. I firmly believes this is mostly due to Facebook, but it's interesting to see people talk about sources now in general that typically only affiliates or high end marketers only really knew about.

6. I think we are going to start seeing a lot more in spaces like Identity marketing/tracking and terms like "identity graph" for funnels and marketing.. especially when it comes to PPC/Paid ads. Basically moves into 1st party data along with additional identify markup from an API or CRM to help with targeting methods later down the road. Not just because of FB and iOS, but those visitors that come to your website and bounce or don't fill in an email for that ebook lead magnet and being able to reach those people later outside of just the "remarketing pixel"

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks

Only going to comment on what I have been "hands on" myself, but....

1. Facebook issues ranging from iOS 14 to iOS 15 and tracking, along with removal of targeting categories is making FB a ghost town for advertisers. Not saying it's dead because it's not, but so many advertisers have had to pull out and stop advertising or totally change their approach that it's looking like a ghost town for a lot of industries.

2. TikTok is the place to be, if you can pull it off. When it fails, it fails hard. When it's good, it's some of the best you can get outside of Search. Their ad manager is just bullocks though. Many people that jumped off Facebook, jumped into TikTok. Sadly though, only a few of them got TikTok right.

3. Google is really pushing more automation on us within Google Ads. Which I hate in general, but the performance has really improved though with their AI/Automation. One of my best campaigns right now is a Performance Max campaign that is largely automated, but it just scares me when it starts to break or go bad how I am even going to attempt to fix since it's one of those campaign types that largely has removed a lot of "tweaking" compared to a normal Search campaign.

4. The move to GA4 is really causing people stress for lots of reasons. Pixel changes, updates, moving of reports and changes all seem to have people up in arms. I'm glad for most of what I do, I use the reporting on the platform instead of a 3rd party like Analytics for 90% of my work.

5. I'm seeing more interest from people outside of Google, MSN, Facebook, Tiktok now. More than ever before. Especially in native or pop or other PPC type traffic sources. I firmly believes this is mostly due to Facebook, but it's interesting to see people talk about sources now in general that typically only affiliates or high end marketers only really knew about.

6. I think we are going to start seeing a lot more in spaces like Identity marketing/tracking and terms like "identity graph" for funnels and marketing.. especially when it comes to PPC/Paid ads. Basically moves into 1st party data along with additional identify markup from an API or CRM to help with targeting methods later down the road. Not just because of FB and iOS, but those visitors that come to your website and bounce or don't fill in an email for that ebook lead magnet and being able to reach those people later outside of just the "remarketing pixel"
We’ve started messing with Performance Max campaigns too. Zero visibility of where ads are being shown. Even if they work well I’d rather work in niches where we win by loading thousands of keywords and ads.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

I've been doing some TikTok advertising. Haven't figured it out yet. Other people seem to have figured it out though, so clearly I'm missing something. Here's what I've picked up so far

It seems that what used to work on Facebook doesn't work on TikTok, requiring media buyers and businesses to rethink their funnels.

Creative has always been key, but on TikTok, creative is so important since you can just retarget people who interacted with your creative. Test a lot of things and see what works. Native looking content seems to work the best.

Targeting is VERY different from Facebook. But lookalikes and custom audiences seem to work mostly the same. You can't just upload a customer list to TikTok and be able to target them, though, unless you have their Apple/Google advertiser IDs.

TikTok relies on this "infinite loop" of retail, where people use review content to influence their purchasing decisions, purchase the product, then post review content on the platform themselves and interact with other people who are still in the consideration stage. This is genius, and it seems that the brands getting it right are able to utilize this. An example is creating a bunch of UGC discovery content, running it to top and middle of funnel, and interacting with anyone who has questions related to common objections. Then getting customers and influencers to create more UGC content, ideally positive reviews.

The algorithm feeds shoppers a ton of shopping related content, most of it organic.

There's a ton of misinformation on the subject spread by people who got something to work but don't quite understand why it works. Test everything. And don't listen to me, either, I'm just a noob at this too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.