The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Does anyone have any advice for designing the ad images themselves, specifically facebook ads?
About the only one I can give you is to make sure they stand out and get attention.

You also want them to carry the same message over to the LP

If possible ( depending on platform ) have your CTA in the ad.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
I read this a few months back when I first joined the forum and it sounded kinda cool, but I didn't really get much of it or appreciate the knowledge bombs and strategies dropped here.

Now that over the past few weeks I've really been educating myself on just the basics through things like FB blue print and other beginner courses, coming back through this is really awesome.

I never even imagined getting this creative and thinking about PPC in these sorts of ways. @eliquid, thank you so much for sharing all of this without the $495 price tag, this is a straight up game changer.

I'm really looking to finally get to meet and hear from you in a couple months from now, at the summit.

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
Wow, so much value here. Subscribing to this so I can come back and read it again when I go through my next PPC campaign. It's awesome to see someone give away such detailed, in-depth information on here when you easily could have charged for an eBook or put this on a revenue-generating blog.

What are your thoughts on using PPC to test an eBook's proof of concept? I have been planning on writing an eBook - frankly I want to do it anyways, without even testing the market, just to learn. But my thought was build my website and lead page, and then send maybe $300 of paid traffic to it, and see how many people go through to checkout (obviously without actually taking their info or payment). Seems like a low cost alternative to spending 100 hours writing an eBook that may or may not sell.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Wow, so much value here. Subscribing to this so I can come back and read it again when I go through my next PPC campaign. It's awesome to see someone give away such detailed, in-depth information on here when you easily could have charged for an eBook or put this on a revenue-generating blog.

What are your thoughts on using PPC to test an eBook's proof of concept? I have been planning on writing an eBook - frankly I want to do it anyways, without even testing the market, just to learn. But my thought was build my website and lead page, and then send maybe $300 of paid traffic to it, and see how many people go through to checkout (obviously without actually taking their info or payment). Seems like a low cost alternative to spending 100 hours writing an eBook that may or may not sell.

If you can get away with it, do it.

Adwords is a bit tricky with thin pages and the sort. You might have the best luck with Facebook.

What I would do is develop several versions of your landing page so you can split test:
  • titles
  • cover images
  • pricing
Don't just build 1 page and send $300 to it, build 5 and see not only if it sells.. what makes it sell

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Just in case you didn't know... Adwords is launching a program where they will be using AI to rewrite your ads in your account and pushing them live... that is unless you go into your account and disapprove them.

It's been talked about for a while but looks like the Beta is rolling out on several of my accounts finally.

If you are not going into your account often and checking things like this, you could end up with an ad copy problem if you have clients in strict regulated markets like Higher Ed and Legal and those ads say things that could get you or your client sued.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
Wow!!!
This is a really fantastic thread.
The many nuggets shared on page 1 and subsequent pages are simply golden.
@eliquid , thanks for sharing all this.
Found myself invariably clicking "Like" on virtually all your posts on page 1.
Definitely looking forward to connecting with, and learning more from you.
Is your eBook on PPC ads out?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Wow!!!
This is a really fantastic thread.
The many nuggets shared on page 1 and subsequent pages are simply golden.
@eliquid , thanks for sharing all this.
Found myself invariably clicking "Like" on virtually all your posts on page 1.
Definitely looking forward to connecting with, and learning more from you.
Is your eBook on PPC ads out?

I havent finished it.

So many things have changed for me, that I had to put it on hold

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
I havent finished it.

So many things have changed for me, that I had to put it on hold
Oh OK.
Guess that's an entrepreneur's life, things are always changing, always dynamic, always in motion.
Hope you get the time to finish it someday though.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I'm going to have to end up finishing it this year though. Maybe even within the next 90 days hopefully.

Gotta tie up these opportunities that sometimes get pushed to the side for others.

I'll keep you updated when it happens though.

Genius01

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Dec 18, 2017
Nigeria
I'm going to have to end up finishing it this year though. Maybe even within the next 90 days hopefully.

Gotta tie up these opportunities that sometimes get pushed to the side for others.

I'll keep you updated when it happens though.

Great to hear that.
Guess this is part of the positive ripple effects of your attending the 2018 Summit.
More power to your elbows.

Jordi

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 21, 2013
Insane thread Eliquid!! One of my all-time favorites (if not my all-time favorite) for sure!

I'd like to know what do you think is the best way/tool to get accurate search volume data today?

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Hi @eliquid, thanks for this informative post, especially the FB part!
I'm running ads on FB next month and have some questions:

1) I've a $100 Adwords voucher from Shopify. Do you think I should wait until my shop has more products first before using this? I currently have only 1 product and the website is very new and tiny currently.

2)
eliquid said:
With that information, there are no keywords you are going to be bidding on. You are also going to put a lot more effort into your ad, especially the image, to "interrupt" what the user is currently doing to get their eyeballs on your message.

Does this mean I should use a bright yellow ad image with bold black text on it, even though it doesn't align with my brand? I was thinking, in such cases, eyeballs and clicks are more important, right? It will stick out like a sore thumb and disrupt their attention, and force them to focus on my ad!

3)
When testing ages, do it in groups of 5 years. You shouldn't be making ads where you target men and women both in the same ad. You also shouldn't be selecting ages where it's 21-60. Build in groups of 5 years for age. One ad can be males 18-23 and another can be males 24-29. Same with women too. If you don't do this, you will never be really able to tell who is converting poorly or well for you.

If I do it in groups of 5 years and multiply that by say, 8 ad placements (4 for mobile and 4 for desktop), that's 40 ad sets in total. Wouldn't this cost a bomb? In fact, I doubt I can recoup all my ad fees even if I managed to sell my first batch of products.

4)
If you know you have a solid ad and message, go for CPM bidding. Facebook knows they will make gar. money here and give you all the traffic they can.

CPM bidding is that "Daily Budget" thing? This? https://i.gyazo.com/1c87197fc705271363be871ca50596fb.png
I can't seem to find any words that say "CPM" or "CPC" in the Ad manager.

5) For FB ad placements, do you have a favorite for mobile and desktop?

6) When starting out on FB ads for the 1st time, what amt of budget do you recommend for the FB ads? Would US$2 a day for 6 days be good? Est. reach a day is 470 - 1800. Maybe you can critique my setup below:

508e5d057e030304368b51222ea9e4a8.png

Thanks eliquid! :innocent: :halo:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Hi @eliquid, thanks for this informative post, especially the FB part!
I'm running ads on FB next month and have some questions:

1) I've a $100 Adwords voucher from Shopify. Do you think I should wait until my shop has more products first before using this? I currently have only 1 product and the website is very new and tiny currently.

2)

Does this mean I should use a bright yellow ad image with bold black text on it, even though it doesn't align with my brand? I was thinking, in such cases, eyeballs and clicks are more important, right? It will stick out like a sore thumb and disrupt their attention, and force them to focus on my ad!

3)

If I do it in groups of 5 years and multiply that by say, 8 ad placements (4 for mobile and 4 for desktop), that's 40 ad sets in total. Wouldn't this cost a bomb? In fact, I doubt I can recoup all my ad fees even if I managed to sell my first batch of products.

4)

CPM bidding is that "Daily Budget" thing? This? https://i.gyazo.com/1c87197fc705271363be871ca50596fb.png
I can't seem to find any words that say "CPM" or "CPC" in the Ad manager.

5) For FB ad placements, do you have a favorite for mobile and desktop?

6) When starting out on FB ads for the 1st time, what amt of budget do you recommend for the FB ads? Would US$2 a day for 6 days be good? Est. reach a day is 470 - 1800. Maybe you can critique my setup below:

508e5d057e030304368b51222ea9e4a8.png

Thanks eliquid! :innocent: :halo:

1. I wouldn't wait. Start building up the remarketing list now and getting pixels seasoned.

2. You want your ad to promise something, and your LP to deliver on that promise. If you have a yellow ad with a pic of a dog, your LP better be the same message.

3. Just because you have 40 ads, doesn't mean they will all spend money or be unprofitable. Unless you test 40 ads, you won't know what the best ad is to even run.

4. Many things in the FB ad tool/editor have changed since I originally wrote this. It is now best to just set it to optimize for conversions.

5. Mobile seems to work out a tad better, but that's for me and my clients/products.

6. I think that's too little. A lot of people start out with $5 a day, but I still think that's too little. If it were me and I was strapped for cash, I wouldn't do less than $15 a day bare min. $100 a day would be better though.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
6. I think that's too little. A lot of people start out with $5 a day, but I still think that's too little. If it were me and I was strapped for cash, I wouldn't do less than $15 a day bare min. $100 a day would be better though.

Thanks for the advice and reply. Let's say you're strapped for cash and you do US$15 per day. How long would you run those ads for while burning through all the money in order to collect data? About 1 month?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Thanks for the advice and reply. Let's say you're strapped for cash and you do US$15 per day. How long would you run those ads for while burning through all the money in order to collect data? About 1 month?

If everything is set up correctly, I'd prob spend at the very least $300 and see what data I collect from that.

How much is a customer worth to your business though?

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
@eliquid

I sell a digital product ranging from $30-$300 (tiered price options).

If I’m running $100 a day, is it best to go straight for the sale or collect emails?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
@eliquid

I sell a digital product ranging from $30-$300 (tiered price options).

If I’m running $100 a day, is it best to go straight for the sale or collect emails?

Both.

Why not sell something, but offer a lead magnet for email signups off to the side? Maybe give part of it away?

WinTheDay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Oct 20, 2015
USA
About the only one I can give you is to make sure they stand out and get attention.

You also want them to carry the same message over to the LP

If possible ( depending on platform ) have your CTA in the ad.

Say I have a FB ad where I took the product added a cool background and etc with photoshop. Should I use the same AD image on my Product Page?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Say I have a FB ad where I took the product added a cool background and etc with photoshop. Should I use the same AD image on my Product Page?
The same ad? No.

Should it things look similar and congruent... yes.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Adwords is pushing the new GUI perm. on you July 10th.

If you are like me and still using the old interface, say bye-bye to that soon.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Adwords is pushing the new GUI perm. on you July 10th.

If you are like me and still using the old interface, say bye-bye to that soon.
Oh ffs... The new interface sucks.

I suppose I’d better redo my course too.

Aston_M

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
May 31, 2014
England
eliquid - Love this post, I have a question regarding pay per view and showing your ads on competitor websites by targeting the thank you pages or other pages, does this still work now?

annagreenang

New Contributor
Jul 6, 2018
Essex, CT
1. I wouldn't wait. Start building up the remarketing list now and getting pixels seasoned.

2. You want your ad to promise something, and your LP to deliver on that promise. If you have a yellow ad with a pic of a dog, your LP better be the same message.

3. Just because you have 40 ads, doesn't mean they will all spend money or be unprofitable. Unless you test 40 ads, you won't know what the best ad is to even run.

4. Many things in the FB ad tool/editor have changed since I originally wrote this. It is now best to just set it to optimize for conversions.

5. Mobile seems to work out a tad better, but that's for me and my clients/products.

Thank you for sharing helpful info

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
eliquid - Love this post, I have a question regarding pay per view and showing your ads on competitor websites by targeting the thank you pages or other pages, does this still work now?

it can.

depends on platform and what you are doing

Boo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 6, 2018
@eliquid I've been following your posts since early Wickedfire days, as well as Eli, Pasha and a few other OG's. You guys have had a huge influence on my success over the years, which has been primarily through SEO with limited PPC.

My question is regarding ad grouping. At the moment I'm using BMM or Phrase in an ad groups to "farm" or "mine" keywords and then move those best performing keywords quickly into their own ad groups as exact match so that I can customize the landing page or ad for them.

In your podcast (episode 19) you mentioned that you were reluctant to do this because it resets QS and therefore could be detrimental. Am I understanding this correctly and how do you feel about this farming and best performers ad group setup?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
It's something I use to do.

However, depending on setup and size.. you're basically moving a keyword from one adgroup to another ( or campaign ). Even if it wasn't a direct keyword ( farming and mining ), you are still negative matching it out of the original, and putting it into a new group/campaign.

The idea is that it could be problematic for you.

I've had setups where I found a winning keyword after months of farming/mining. The keyword had multiple conversions and was doing well.

I negative match it out and put it in it's own adgroup/campaign with the same ads, bid, and positioning and it does horrible for the next 5 weeks until I pause it.

I go back and remove the negative match and it's doing fine back in the original setup.

To me, it's pretty clear cut that could hurt you based on that.

You might not ever experience that though. You should try and see and find out where you come out at.

I no longer do this method with my higher end accounts that are critical. However, it could be something I try again with a lower end account in the future.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It's something I use to do.

However, depending on setup and size.. you're basically moving a keyword from one adgroup to another ( or campaign ). Even if it wasn't a direct keyword ( farming and mining ), you are still negative matching it out of the original, and putting it into a new group/campaign.

The idea is that it could be problematic for you.

I've had setups where I found a winning keyword after months of farming/mining. The keyword had multiple conversions and was doing well.

I negative match it out and put it in it's own adgroup/campaign with the same ads, bid, and positioning and it does horrible for the next 5 weeks until I pause it.

I go back and remove the negative match and it's doing fine back in the original setup.

To me, it's pretty clear cut that could hurt you based on that.

You might not ever experience that though. You should try and see and find out where you come out at.

I no longer do this method with my higher end accounts that are critical. However, it could be something I try again with a lower end account in the future.

Yeah. I’ve seen that too.

I’ve also seen campaigns not working in a brand new account (low QS), but working when we export/import into an aged account.

For newer accounts I’ll usually create brand new campaigns when I restructure, and pause the old ones. That way I have a fallback position if the new ones perform worse.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.