The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Member from France

Djioul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 12, 2021
France
Hello everyone,

First of all, thanks MJ and your staff for welcoming me on this forum !

I am Julien, 34 yo, from France and more precisely, from the north eastern part of the country (Alsace - yes, you pronounce it "Al's a$$" :smile2:), close to the Swiss and German borders.

After passing my PhD in Materials Science, I had the opportunity to get some of "my dream jobs" (project leader, team leader, site manager), in fascinating industries (watch industry & battery industry) working (and living) a comfortable life in Switzerland. I am now still working in Switzerland but I moved back to France.
Despite all of that, I was frequently changing positions and never enjoyed a job more than 6 months. Impossible to be trully satisfied from a professionnal point of view...
After 2 "f*** this sh**" events last year, I started to look for solutions and I heard about MJ's books. These 2 books (among others + meditation) opened my eyes and revealed what was sleeping deep inside of me: entrepreneurship is the way ! Creating value for others and build something with my own hands from scratch are concepts that resonnate in me.

So we took decision with my wife to take over the business that my dad started a few years ago. It was a small business which he founded to "pay the bills" when he lost his job at the near end of his career. Potential is high if we manage to gain new clients on a regular basis. I will develop more in details in another thread (as I have a question about the Commandment of Control). We will launch our activity in September 2021 to take advantage of Christmas time (and we welcomed our 2nd kid in January this year, so we don't want to rush).
A few weeks ago, my wife started also a small side hustle which is more a hobby (revenue is not expected to be very high) and a way to learn a little bit about starting our own business (France is such a bureaucratic country... :bored: ). She is manufacturing hand-made jewels out of semi-precisous stones and selling them on different platforms.

Currently, I am in the preparation phase which means that we are starting to work on our offer / organization and that I am reading a lot on different topics (marketing, sales, entrepreneurship, tax system...) in order to improve my skills.
Actually, I have a lot of mixed feelings at the moment (between excitment and fear of jumping into the unknown). Reading some of the threads and seeing the positive-minded and focused Fastlane community already helped me a lot. I hope I can also do my bit and contribute effectively to the community.

Thanks, Danke, Merci ! :smile2:
Julien

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Julien, appreciate the intro.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Welcome to the forum. I applaud your ambition and courage. My MBA program had a global focus and we spent a week in France visiting various businesses from small start ups to large international giants (Airbus). But the most interesting experience was that served by a small restaurant owner in Paris. A couple of my classmates and I just randomly picked this small place. The owner spoke good English and overheard our conversation about what we were learning. She brought over wine, sat with us and spoke for hours about her challenges doing business in France. That was an education. I realized that no matter how challenging it is in the US to start a company, we have it easy compared to many.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Djioul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 12, 2021
France
Welcome to the forum. I applaud your ambition and courage. My MBA program had a global focus and we spent a week in France visiting various businesses from small start ups to large international giants (Airbus). But the most interesting experience was that served by a small restaurant owner in Paris. A couple of my classmates and I just randomly picked this small place. The owner spoke good English and overheard our conversation about what we were learning. She brought over wine, sat with us and spoke for hours about her challenges doing business in France. That was an education. I realized that no matter how challenging it is in the US to start a company, we have it easy compared to many.
Thanks for welcoming me !

That's a very cool story ! Also good to hear something positive about a French person, we don't have a very good reputation in general.

It's clear that France is not the best place to start a business even if I am in 1 of the most dynamic part of the country with solid industries and also close to Switzerland & Germany which offer business opportunities as well. As a matter of fact, I plan to locate my company in France, as I live there right now, but my first target clients are located in Switzerland.
Anyway, even if there are more difficulties to build something in France, I don't want to use this as an excuse to stay on the Slowlane. If being in France is really the problem, there are other solutions (for example, I still have the possibility to move my company to Switzerland afterwards).
If there is no solution, it means there is no problem. ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...