The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Just quit my job in the middle of my shift. thoughts?

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
Sorry that this isn't business related. But there are a lot of great people on this forum who have helped me get through hard times and I trust this place. Thank you for taking the time to read this. anyways...

Here's what was required:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades
-answer phone calls(a lot of them)

That's it. your starting pay is 10$ an hour.

The thing is, I only took this job because I had bills to pay. I hated being there every second of every day. I don't want to get into why but my hate for the job existed. Regardless I worked here for a year and a half. However I wanted to do things outside of work and programming because I want to meet people and form bonds. I had just graduated high school in 2020 and am living with my girlfriend.

While I love her to death, I don't have a circle of bro's to hang out with anymore. My social life was just work. I wanted to find a hobby. The stuff that was free didn't interest me at all, and one of the things on my bucket list is learning kickboxing. Well turns out, gyms aren't cheap. 10$ an hour wasn't going to cut it.

Just to recap:

What was required:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades

What I actually did:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades
-Stocked the store
-ordered parts we didn't have so the shelves were stocked and ready to go
-rearranged parts on the shelf that people were too lazy to do themselves
-sacrificed my days off to cover for a 26 year old child who didn't want to work, and would pull every excuse in the book to not show up
-Inspected and looked into every detail about what was wrong with the vehicle (I even offered to change an alternator for free)
-Learned enough Spanish to communicate with Hispanic customers so we wouldn't lose a sale
I don't know about you, but I pretty well exceeded expectations when it came to adding value to the company.

So when I asked my boss how to go about getting a raise. his response?

"Oh uh... hmm... well.. ahh... there's a review at the end of each year."
This was his answer every time I asked him. But nothing happened when 2020 ended.

The hardest part about this job was I had to have the same discipline as a slowlane millionaire but I had very little going into my savings. It made my blood boil every time I saw a sports car pull in and its a grown a$$ man who's too lazy to change the battery himself. enough was enough. I pulled john aside and had a conversation with him.

What I told him was this:

"I cant kill myself because I'm a Christian, I cant cut myself because ill be disqualified for the air force, and I can't quit either because I have bills. I. Have. Very. Little. Money. I need a raise john."

"You haven't done enough to prove to me that you deserve a raise! yeah you got all 150 calipers off the shelf and I appreciate it, but that's ONE thing!"
I couldn't believe what he just said to my face. When I heard that come out of his mouth, staying was no longer an option. my mental sanity couldn't bare the thought of having to spend another day there. I walked out and I'm not going back there ever again. I'm going to find a place that will pay me what I'm worth.

I just want to know what you guys think about my actions. the "I cant kill myself because I'm a Christian, I cant cut myself because ill be disqualified for the air force," came from a depression that had been building up for a long time now. I'm open to any and all criticism.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hang in there man, I think we've all been in similar straits, I know I have.

How do you plan to pay bills if you have no job?

What does your GF think, since she is the one you are living with?

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
why not just join the air force already?
also if you want a low skill high paying job you need to get in the service industry valet, waiter, doorman.

I think you're just frustrated because you have too much responsibility and no career right out of high school. Any chance your girlfriend can get a job or move in with her or your parents for a while?

TheKingOfMadrid

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Dec 14, 2020
Oooh I've been there.

Right now you have more energy and adrenaline then you will have in two days once the guilt of doing something not socially 'appropriate' sets in.

Now's the time to use that energy and begin smashing down doors. The threads on side hustles here may be very interesting. Lock yourself away for as long as you can, apply the wisdom and in reality you could be in a much better place quicker then you think.

Good luck!

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
Hang in there man, I think we've all been in similar straits, I know I have.

How do you plan to pay bills if you have no job?

What does your GF think, since she is the one you are living with?
thank you, I've got a month and a half's worth of savings in the bank account. That'll give me more than enough time to get hired somewhere. My GF knows that as well so she doesn't have to worry. She's a software engineer too she could rent this place out by herself if she wanted...

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
why not just join the air force already?
also if you want a low skill high paying job you need to get in the service industry valet, waiter, doorman.

I think you're just frustrated because you have too much responsibility and no career right out of high school. Any chance your girlfriend can get a job or move in with her or your parents for a while?
I leave in April. Me quitting just a few months before then was a decision I made on the basis that:

1) Someone came into the store and threatened my life with a gun. My safety is at risk if I stay there.
2) I worked too hard for too little pay and my boss didn't care because he didn't want a pay cut.

But yes you're right, I did move out of my dad's place too soon. However, going back isn't an option because It wouldn't feel right to me or him. He has told me multiple times "If you come back here, I will treat you like a Nazi".

My girlfriend already has a job though (Software engineer) and we've been paying rent 50/50 since we've moved in together. She makes a lot more money than me, and can rent this place out by herself if she wanted.

I also have savings for situations like this that will get me through the next month and a half. I'll be okay.

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020
Oooh I've been there.

Right now you have more energy and adrenaline then you will have in two days once the guilt of doing something not socially 'appropriate' sets in.

Now's the time to use that energy and begin smashing down doors. The threads on side hustles here may be very interesting. Lock yourself away for as long as you can, apply the wisdom and in reality you could be in a much better place quicker then you think.

Good luck!
As much as I would love that right now, my skillset for web development isn't where it needs to be in order to start a side hustle. I'll need a job in the meantime to make ends meet.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
As much as I would love that right now, my skillset for web development isn't where it needs to be in order to start a side hustle. I'll need a job in the meantime to make ends meet.

why not get a job doing what you want to learn.

i.e, get a job as a junior web dev.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Now is the time to start soaking up knowledge so that you can build a successful business in the future. Try to get a job in an industry you want to be a part of. In general I try to dissuade people from joining the military as I've heard mostly bad experiences, and it's a contract that you can't really get out of which completely goes against my belief of freedom being a necessity for me. But you do you. If you're looking for paid schooling, housing, the possible ability to be sent to live overseas etc, then it might be a good fit for you.

Otherwise, find a job in a part of the industry you want to be in. Start looking for problems in that industry and you can likely build a business around solving those problems.

Good luck!

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
definitely an act that generates polarizing opinions, especially with so many variables at play.

as someone whos been there, you did what you wanted and felt you had to do. that's to be commended.

it may very well be even worse in some respect for the foreseeable future, but at least you've already left one hell behind.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Your boss didn't value you nor did he give a shit about you as a person. Not unusual. They'll find another guy, probably a year or two younger than you, willing to do the drudgery. Time to find another job.

Ever heard the saying "People don't quit their jobs, they quit their bosses"? In your case it's true.

The Air Force isn't a bad choice, but you will have to do a full four years and you don't really get a choice in what you do or where you go. You get SOME kind of choice but it's not really a choice: you do what you're told and that's that. If you have a problem with that, you're not gonna cut it there.

In your position, I'd spend half my day applying for jobs and the other half my day learning a skill. The skill you choose is entirely up to you. You could learn how to build websites and generate leads for businesses. You could learn how to faux paint. You could learn how to trim hedges and cut lawns. Fix iPhones or computers. Video editing, graphic design, doesn't really matter what it is just don't do nothing. Then you have to learn how to find people who are willing to pay you for those things. Start with your network (friends, friends of friends, family, friends of family) and branch out.

$10/hour... you might as well work at Mcdonalds, at least there's upward potential (assistant manager) lol. Remember that every job you take is TEMPORARY and doesn't determine your next job (although it could help steer you in the right direction). Your goal is a job that pays decently, gives you enough free time to hustle, and doesn't make you want to kill yourself. Bonus points if it leverages the skill that you're learning (and it would probably pay better, too). From there you can start building up your savings and turning your skill into a business, even if it's only tangentially related.

Good luck

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Sorry that this isn't business related. But there are a lot of great people on this forum who have helped me get through hard times and I trust this place. Thank you for taking the time to read this. anyways...

-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades

The thing is, I only took this job because I had bills to pay. I hated being there every second of every day. I don't want to get into why but my hate for the job existed. Regardless I worked here for a year and a half. However I wanted to do things outside of work and programming because I want to meet people and form bonds. I had just graduated high school in 2020 and am living with my girlfriend.

While I love her to death, I don't have a circle of bro's to hang out with anymore. My social life was just work. I wanted to find a hobby. The stuff that was free didn't interest me at all, and one of the things on my bucket list is learning kickboxing. Well turns out, gyms aren't cheap. 10$ an hour wasn't going to cut it.

Just to recap:

What was required:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades

What I actually did:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades
-Stocked the store
-sacrificed my days off to cover for a 26 year old child who didn't want to work, and would pull every excuse in the book to not show up
-Inspected and looked into every detail about what was wrong with the vehicle (I even offered to change an alternator for free)
-Learned enough Spanish to communicate with Hispanic customers so we wouldn't lose a sale
I don't know about you, but I pretty well exceeded expectations when it came to adding value to the company.

This was his answer every time I asked him. But nothing happened when 2020 ended.

The hardest part about this job was I had to have the same discipline as a slowlane millionaire but I had very little going into my savings. It made my blood boil every time I saw a sports car pull in and its a grown a$$ man who's too lazy to change the battery himself. enough was enough. I pulled john aside and had a conversation with him.

"I cant kill myself because I'm a Christian, I cant cut myself because ill be disqualified for the air force, and I can't quit either because I have bills. I. Have. Very. Little. Money. I need a raise john."

"You haven't done enough to prove to me that you deserve a raise! yeah you got all 150 calipers off the shelf and I appreciate it, but that's ONE thing!"
I couldn't believe what he just said to my face. When I heard that come out of his mouth, staying was no longer an option. my mental sanity couldn't bare the thought of having to spend another day there. I walked out and I'm not going back there ever again. I'm going to find a place that will pay me what I'm worth.

I just want to know what you guys think about my actions. the "I cant kill myself because I'm a Christian, I cant cut myself because ill be disqualified for the air force," came from a depression that had been building up for a long time now. I'm open to any and all criticism.

I think you unconsciously created a situation where it was justified for you to resign/be fired, when you could have just found an alternative during the last year and a half. Being unhappy at the job and asking for a raise was never going to fix the job or your satisfaction. It would have just repeated the processes each time and each time no extra money would have either created satisfaction or extra productivity. I suspect your boss knew that. There was never an incentive to pay you more, when you have always been on the edge of leaving anyway. Raising your pay would have just created more issues with others. He was ready for you to leave for a long time but was just milking you until you were.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018

I couldn't believe what he just said to my face.
One small tip for next time (or for others in the future who might read this):

Your statement expressed what was bottled up inside of you, but obviously the boss didn't care. All your statement showed the boss was that you weren't going to kill yourself, you weren't going to cut yourself, and you weren't going to quit. So he's probably feeling smug and happy that he has you over a barrel. Plus, he knew from the moment he hired you that nobody can live on $10/hour. So the fact that you don't have enough money is not news to him.

If you have another opportunity in the future, it may be more successful to think like the boss and craft the conversation in terms that your BOSS cares about.

Your comments will be more persuasive, which may be more likely to get you the outcome you want (the raise).

So, for example...

"Hey Mr. Boss Man,

[Pain points that the boss feels]
You know that if I walk out the door today, you can hire somebody at the same rate of pay. But you're going get somebody who knows nothing about the store and takes forever to train. And then at the end of the day, maybe they're on their phone all the time, or maybe they're constantly no-showing, or maybe they fail their drug test. All of that means lost productivity to you.

[Point out your accomplishments since the boss obviously can't think of them himself]
You know that I've gone above and beyond since the day I walked in here.

I have done XYZ that helped this business not to lose sales or to increase them.

And I have done ABC that was not included in my job description.

I'm easy to work with, and you know that I keep busy all the time to make this business great. I leave things better than I found them. I'm proactive to notice what needs to be done without being asked. And you get great reviews from the customers that interact with me.

[Ask for the raise]
But Mr. Boss Man, all those qualities that make me valuable to you will also make me valuable to some other place that will pay me more. My current pay rate at this position isn't meeting my needs. But I'd like to give you first dibs on keeping me, since I already work here and would be happy to stay. I'd like a raise by [deadline]. Otherwise, I'm going to have to look elsewhere. When can I expect that to get processed?

[Shut up and do not say another word until they say something. You will be tempted to fill the silence. Don't.]

If they object (e.g. "Oh uh... hmm... well.. ahh... there's a review at the end of each year"), hold your ground and probe for more information.

Mr. Boss Man, I need a raise sooner than that. As I said, I'd like a raise by [deadline]. Let me ask you, am I a valuable employee to this place? [Wait for an answer] Do you realize the difference it makes to your bottom line when you have an employee who is motivated, keeps the place clean, treats customers with courtesy, and notices when things need to be restocked?

[Poke on their pain points: Their reputation, the fact that a bad employee is incredibly costly, the fact that losing a good employee creates a morale slump in all the other employees, leading to lost productivity, etc. When probing pain points, don't hold back. Find the points that make them the most uncomfortable and press on those points repeatedly if necessary.]

Then help me understand: Since you've acknowledged that I'm valuable around here, and that it will be costly to replace me, why do you seem more willing to pay THAT cost than to simply give me the bump in pay that I've earned?

[Wait for an answer]

If they tell you they'll get you a raise by the deadline, and then nothing happens, stick to your word and start looking elsewhere.

And if it's a boss who Truly. Does. Not. Care. and will simply hire the next $10/hr high school student, then don't even bother with the above conversation. Just start looking elsewhere, pronto, so that you can get yourself out of a toxic situation.

Last edited:

Christopher104

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Oct 27, 2020

Your statement expressed what was bottled up inside of you, but obviously the boss didn't care. All your statement showed the boss was that you weren't going to kill yourself, you weren't going to cut yourself, and you weren't going to quit. So he's probably feeling smug and happy that he has you over a barrel. Plus, he knew from the moment he hired you that nobody can live on $10/hour. So the fact that you don't have enough money is not news to him.

If you have another opportunity in the future, it may be more successful to think like the boss and craft the conversation in terms that your BOSS cares about.

Your comments will be more persuasive, which may be more likely to get you the outcome you want (the raise).

So, for example...

"Hey Mr. Boss Man,

You know that if I walk out the door today, you can hire somebody at the same rate of pay. But you're going get somebody who knows nothing about the store and takes forever to train. And then at the end of the day, maybe they're on their phone all the time, or maybe they're constantly no-showing, or maybe they fail their drug test. All of that means lost productivity to you.

[Point out your accomplishments since the boss obviously can't think of them himself]

I have done XYZ that helped this business not to lose sales or to increase them.

I'm easy to work with, and you know that I keep busy all the time to make this business great. I leave things better than I found them. I'm proactive to notice what needs to be done without being asked. And you get great reviews from the customers that interact with me.

[Ask for the raise]
But Mr. Boss Man, all those qualities that make me valuable to you will also make me valuable to some other place that will pay me more. My current pay rate at this position isn't meeting my needs. But I'd like to give you first dibs on keeping me, since I already work here and would be happy to stay. I'd like a raise by [deadline]. Otherwise, I'm going to have to look elsewhere. When can I expect that to get processed?

[Shut up and do not say another word until they say something. You will be tempted to fill the silence. Don't.]

If they object (e.g. "Oh uh... hmm... well.. ahh... there's a review at the end of each year"), hold your ground and probe for more information.

Mr. Boss Man, I need a raise sooner than that. As I said, I'd like a raise by [deadline]. Let me ask you, am I a valuable employee to this place? [Wait for an answer] Do you realize the difference it makes to your bottom line when you have an employee who is motivated, keeps the place clean, treats customers with courtesy, and notices when things need to be restocked?

[Poke on their pain points: Their reputation, the fact that a bad employee is incredibly costly, the fact that losing a good employee creates a morale slump in all the other employees, leading to lost productivity, etc. When probing pain points, don't hold back. Find the points that make them the most uncomfortable and press on those points repeatedly if necessary.]

Then help me understand: Since you've acknowledged that I'm valuable around here, and that it will be costly to replace me, why do you seem more willing to pay THAT cost than to simply give me the bump in pay that I've earned?

[Wait for an answer]

If they tell you they'll get you a raise by the deadline, and then nothing happens, stick to your word and start looking elsewhere.

And if it's a boss who Truly. Does. Not. Care. and will simply hire the next $10/hr high school student, then don't even bother with the above conversation. Just start looking elsewhere, pronto, so that you can get yourself out of a toxic situation.
This is pretty good information. I'll make sure to keep this in mind with my next boss. Appreciate the help!

John TenBrink

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jan 26, 2018
Raleigh
Your heart is real and so is life. Your faith is real too, so lean into it, learn, grow, gain wisdom and give God control. Life is a battle, and given your youth and energy, the pathway ahead of you is wide open.

It's in the valleys where the grass grows the greenest. Trust yourself and your instincts and try to get a support group to walk with you. I've been in your shoes many times, and for some unknown reason, it always works out.

I agree with other posts. If you are interested in the Air Force, they are hiring right now with full benefits. The first step is the hardest, so just take it.

And remember, life is about the journey, brother!

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
No boss is going to pay you what you’re worth or else it wouldn’t be worth it to hire you. That’s what a job is.

Why have another boss again? You like getting treated like shit? You like other people’s metaphorical nuts in your mouth?

If you do, fine. But it’s not for me.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

So, for example...

"Hey Mr. Boss Man,

[Ask for the raise]

[Wait for an answer]

Depends on the job.

Your advice is OK for those making more than $40k a year typically.

But if people are making less, I'd say up and leave. Especially at $10 an hour.

Big chains like the one he prob. works at have their onboarding and hiring pretty much mastered.

Look at McDonalds, they can hire new people in at $10 an hour all day and by the end of the day the new person already knows how to do the job perfect. Their hiring and onboarding and training means they can hire anyone at anytime and get them full speed in 24 hours or less.

So if it's a big chain where you make less than $40k, just leave and find a new job.

Job hopping is they quickest way to get a pay raise there is, in the job market.

I've gone from $29k a year to $80k in one job hop. Then I went to $120k in another job hop. All with companies I had no prior relationship with and no degree behind me.

At $10 an hour you are meant to be replaceable.

What's the best that comes out of asking for a raise at a place that pays people $10 an hour? Maybe $2-$4 more dollar an hour realistically at a place he already dislikes it seems. $2-$4 more an hour might put some money in his pocket but it won't remove the dislike.

Lets say he lands a manager role, at best he'd jump to $15 or $18 an hour at the same place.

I'd vote to jump to another job while you are still employed there. Most companies won't call to verify the place you are currently employed at for obvious reasons, so have a good reference where ever you worked prior.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

People have a lot of weird ideas about jobs and there are lots of emotions around them (not you but in general).

Jeff Bezos once worked for McDonald’s. Let’s say he flipped burgers and was paid $8 per hour.

Well, the guy is very intelligent and we all know the potential he had because we can look back on his life and career now.

But if he was 16, 17, or 18 years old and went to the boss and said “do you know what I’m worth? I’m Jeff Bezos! Pay me at least $100,000 per year because I’m a genius and will be a billionaire someday!”

guess what his boss would say?

“sir, your job is to flip burgers. You could be Albert Einstein or William Shakespeare, it doesn’t matter. The job can afford to pay $8 per hour and I can hire anyone to do it.”

Point is, to get what you’re worth you have to go out and get it. The job is too small for you. Let someone else have that job, because it might be the most complicated thing they can handle. You can handle more. That might be working for yourself. Go get it!

(businesses have budgets. Example, they make $1,000,000 per year, 10% profit leaves $900,000 per year, half of that is for bills, buns, patties, the other half for employees, they can’t just pay you more because you’re really really good at the job. The job has a limit. Entrepreneurship does not. You make the jobs.)

CJRealEstate

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 21, 2021

-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades

Just to recap:

What was required:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades

What I actually did:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades
-Stocked the store

Similar to how I quit my job. I was treated like trash running a multimillion dollar retail store for years. Stressed to the max knives guns getting pulled. Prostitutes in the parking lot. Homeless living outside. Oneday my heart was physically hurting and I was going to the er or quitting. Called my family told them. Corporate didn’t care so I said keys are in the safe see you later and walked mid shift. Basically I’m saying this to say you made the right decision. If you needed to you could find another equal paying job if you had too. I was in the same messed up situation. You are on the site you will overcome. Best thing I ever did was quit my job.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades

Just to recap:

What was required:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades

What I actually did:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades
-Stocked the store

Look at how many skills you have learned on the job brotha, and just imagine if you worked as hard on yourself and running your own business! That $10hr would skyrocket, back at an old job I had the boss told me to shovel snow (at work).. that night I went out knocking on doors to sell shoveling services and made the same if not more than my job hourly pay. Puts things into perspective!

Good luck!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Look at how many skills you have learned on the job brotha, and just imagine if you worked as hard on yourself and running your own business! That $10hr would skyrocket, back at an old job I had the boss told me to shovel snow (at work).. that night I went out knocking on doors to sell shoveling services and made the same if not more than my job hourly pay. Puts things into perspective!

Good luck!
I totally agree with sparechange. You were insulted by the experiences at that store. Actually, you were getting paid to learn the basics of merchandising. Now start a business where you use those skills.

Sandy Dives

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 8, 2020
Norway

-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades

Just to recap:

What was required:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades

What I actually did:
-Sell parts
-Direct customers
-change batteries
-change wiper blades
-Stocked the store

You did the right thing, no doubt about it.

Now, getting another job to get by until the military is not a problem of course, all though as others have stated there are some "low skill" businesses that you can start in a relatively short time (if you are leaving for the military soon).

Just something like mowing lawns, window washing, car wash or pressure washing. You can actually make a lot doing that, way more than 10bucks an hour, all though you have to apply yourself to get jobs and get recurring customers.

Take a breather, this is not a big deal, you got this ;)

Vntonio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Aug 18, 2023
Earth
No boss is going to pay you what you’re worth or else it wouldn’t be worth it to hire you. That’s what a job is.

Why have another boss again? You like getting treated like shit? You like other people’s metaphorical nuts in your mouth?

If you do, fine. But it’s not for me.
I always see your comments and say: "This guy's responses are really douchey". But now I see why.

Your strong beliefs can't be broken by those around you who give away pussy-like advice such as: "Hey, let's get a job where you won't learn that much, be treated as a resource, you will make peanuts compared to me, and your time is mine. Therefore, you will learn to bring value to others and learn something useful for me" Bullshit...

I don't get why people are so fine with being a slave to others. Learn useful things as an employee? You could learn that in weeks if not months.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I always see your comments and say: "This guy's responses are really douchey". But now I see why.

Your strong beliefs can't be broken by those around you who give away pussy-like advice such as: "Hey, let's get a job where you won't learn that much, be treated as a resource, you will make peanuts compared to me, and your time is mine. Therefore, you will learn to bring value to others and learn something useful for me" Bullshit...

I don't get why people are so fine with being a slave to others. Learn useful things as an employee? You could learn that in weeks if not months.

Unfortunately it's views like this that ultimately keep people in mediocrity. At the times in which people with this view are struggling, they refuse to go flip a burger in the meantime. Having a job after I ran out of credit helped me significantly for my business and I learned a ton as an employee.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Imagine if you did all those tasks (at your job) but for yourself working on your own business? Never work too hard for an employer. We get fool/forced into working harder and giving up our time, energy and resources for some job rather than ourselves. I make this mistake a lot of times. You get paid the same hourly no matter how hard you work.

One way you can transition into better pay and people recognizing your value is to start doing contract work. BUT, make sure you put your most valuable time and energy into yourself and building your own business.

One mistake I make too is I try to jump ahead too many steps. Try to recognize the steps you need to take in order, even if small, because you cannot skip steps in any process.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wonder how this decision turned out, OP has not been back in years.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.