The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Scared shitless to quit my job

Anything related to matters of the mind

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
I've been in the HR business since 2016, and have since 2019 worked in a small agency. I'm days away from quitting my job, i will have to stay 3 months due to laws in my country.

Why do i want to quit my job?

I want to start my own agency, very similar to the one i'm working at. I know the inside and outs of the company and know some changes i can make to the company to make it even more profitable and agile. And to be honest i don't wanna quit my job but i have to due to the similarity in the nature of the business.

Sales, sales, sales

One of the most important things for me if i start my agency will be to get clients, and sales is the only part of the company that i don't have much insight into. And haven't done any sales. This scares me, i think it can be done with hard work but it scares me.

Why this business venture?

It's not fully fastlane but it's the fastest and "easiest" way for to scale up my income and stop exchanging my time for a hourly salary.

So do i quit my job? Or do i stay put and start other types of business where i don't have to quit my job? Hard decision....Any guidance much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

svekk1

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 9, 2022
I think it's best to stick with what you have experience with. Especially if you see value skews.

The other road is safer, since you have an income, but higher chance of wasting time and money on things that do not have a market.

Just make sure that your contract does not contain something that prohibits you from starting a similar venture for X years.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
I think it's best to stick with what you have experience with. Especially if you see value skews.

The other road is safer, since you have an income, but higher chance of wasting time and money on things that do not have a market.

Just make sure that your contract does not contain something that prohibits you from starting a similar venture for X years.
The owner of my current company have asked me if i want to start a similiar company under their name but for a different market. They wanted to give me 4.5% ownership. That would also prohibit me to start anything for about 2 years.

svekk1

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 9, 2022
The owner of my current company have asked me if i want to start a similiar company under their name but for a different market. They wanted to give me 4.5% ownership. That would also prohibit me to start anything for about 2 years.
Are you open to that? How much would that opportunity involve you in the sales process? If you can take the chance and with that learn something on the sales process as well, that's not bad in my humble opinion.

Fasted

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 18, 2021
UK
You should be looking to bootstrap. How long will it take to make your first sale? The idea is that you don’t quit the source of regular income until you have started making some sales and profits.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
You should be looking to bootstrap. How long will it take to make your first sale? The idea is that you don’t quit the source of regular income until you have started making some sales and profits.
Thats what my plan is. As i mentioned i have about 3 months notice time. Under that period i can look for clients under the radar. I should be able to close my client within 2-6 months, looking at it conservatively.

I cant make any sales and profits until i quit because it against my contract to run this type of business while employed.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
Thats what my plan is. As i mentioned i have about 3 months notice time. Under that period i can look for clients under the radar. I should be able to close my client within 2-6 months, looking at it conservatively.

I cant make any sales and profits until i quit because it against my contract to run this type of business while employed.
Doubt the contract does anything to prevent other people from signing new clients on your behalf...

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Doubt the contract does anything to prevent other people from signing new clients on your behalf...
Not sure what you mean? I can't start a company in my name and do the same thing that I'm employeed to do. They can take me to court due to the competition agreement. If the company is in somebody else's name I can do it but then I don't have any power over the company.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
The company in working in are closing about 10 deals a month. I need about 1 deal every 2 month to be making more Money than in making now. Should be possible with some Hard work and dedication.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
My recommendation would be to wait to quit your job.

Create a website for your new company. Keep the registration private.

Don't file any company paperwork with your name on it yet.

(Or, borrowing from @Oso 's suggestion, if you want to file paperwork put a family member's name on it instead of your own. I still think I could get you in legal trouble, but you'd at least have a leg to stand on.)

Either way, try and drive traffic to the website and see if you can get people interested. Practice different marketing techniques like email, social ads, search ads, cold outreach, etc.

This will give you an idea of how much it will cost to create leads.

And you can quit your job the day before you sign two new customers. That way you will have revenue from day one.

*Disclaimer - I don't know the laws of your country, so what I'm proposing might not be legal or ethical. But it is practical.

Oso

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jan 18, 2022
While I don't know the laws of your specific country, personally speaking, I'd still hire freelancers for lead generation, even if it is on the DL. But I also find the idea of 3 month notices to be wild.

On one hand, I'm not going to outright encourage you to risk being sued. On the other hand, no one is going to know you contracted freelancers unless you tell them, and/or register a business.

I say cover your a$$ at all costs, but keep probing for loopholes and workarounds. There's always at least a few.

Cheers.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Learning to create leads and then closing the sale is quite a trick. IF you're gonna do this, you'd better do a full self-education program. If you are going to go independent, you'd better be ready to drop the hammer.

The alternative of owning part of an agency might be attractive IF you can build in a way to end up owning it or a controlling interest. That would be a winning situation for the moment.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
I've been in the HR business since 2016, and have since 2019 worked in a small agency. I'm days away from quitting my job, i will have to stay 3 months due to laws in my country.

Why do i want to quit my job?

I want to start my own agency, very similar to the one i'm working at. I know the inside and outs of the company and know some changes i can make to the company to make it even more profitable and agile. And to be honest i don't wanna quit my job but i have to due to the similarity in the nature of the business.

Sales, sales, sales

One of the most important things for me if i start my agency will be to get clients, and sales is the only part of the company that i don't have much insight into. And haven't done any sales. This scares me, i think it can be done with hard work but it scares me.

Why this business venture?

It's not fully fastlane but it's the fastest and "easiest" way for to scale up my income and stop exchanging my time for a hourly salary.

So do i quit my job? Or do i stay put and start other types of business where i don't have to quit my job? Hard decision....Any guidance much appreciated.

Lots of good advice above already.

My question is this: how long can you last if your business isn’t profitable? 12 months?

Don’t screw around, almost everyone will guide you to set up your business first, drive sales and then quit. But let me tell you, nothing motivates quite like desperation. I think @Black_Dragon43 had a thread on that. If you aren’t going to die, starve yourself and your children/ family - then go!

It’s a chestnut problem. Nuts are in the chest and they need to drop, pronto.

And what exactly is that huge downside from starting your own business clean? No lawsuits. No conflict. No ethical dilemmas! Did you steal a client? Did you steal systems? What was your own and what was your ex employer’s proprietary stuff?

Quit and give it a go.

How timely, I just wrote a post on this. Quitting a job to start a business makes you more valuable! You can always get a better job after that experience.

Post in thread 'I believe in magic, and why you should too.'
GOLD! - MINDSET - I believe in magic, and why you should too.

But of course, you are scared. Who wouldn’t be. Accept it for what it is. It’s life as it is. Or did you want your cake and eat it too? Did you want this to be stress free, easy does it? Then everybody would be doing it. You can’t behave like 99% and expect to live like the 1%.

Good luck.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

Personally I would consider the above, or hustle on the side but don't let your boss now.

If you start your own agency, what happens if you fail? How confident are you that you can find another job at the same salary as you're now?

If you're doing the above (the 4.5% thing), maybe sign a contract with them saying that you'll start at 4.5% ownership, but that they'll increase that % ownership for you once the company passes $x profits, and it keeps going up. This way you also get to access the company's resources (with risk all on them) while testing if this will all work out. The long term plan is to get more and more % ownership in the company to become a co-owner or majority ownership.

Not sure what you mean? I can't start a company in my name and do the same thing that I'm employeed to do. They can take me to court due to the competition agreement. If the company is in somebody else's name I can do it but then I don't have any power over the company.

Can't you use your mom or dad's name? And work that on the side.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Fear = Comfort zone.

Zero growth happens from inside comfort zone.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bFIB05LGtMs&pp=ygUcd2lsbCBzbWl0aCBza3lkaXZpbmcgc3BlZWNoIA%3D%3D

Don’t listen to people that tell you to stay in the comfort zone. Particularly on an entrepreneur forum. Still be strategic, but get out of the comfort zone immediately.

I’d even re-examine all your entrepreneurial choices that were already made with that tiny comfort zone in mind. Might you be acting in fear on more than just the job thing?

Last edited:

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Learning to create leads and then closing the sale is quite a trick. IF you're gonna do this, you'd better do a full self-education program. If you are going to go independent, you'd better be ready to drop the hammer.

The alternative of owning part of an agency might be attractive IF you can build in a way to end up owning it or a controlling interest. That would be a winning situation for the moment.
Yes, haven't done before and the only thing scaring me. I'm sure I can deliver on the project I close.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
Personally I would consider the above, or hustle on the side but don't let your boss now.

If you start your own agency, what happens if you fail? How confident are you that you can find another job at the same salary as you're now?

If you're doing the above (the 4.5% thing), maybe sign a contract with them saying that you'll start at 4.5% ownership, but that they'll increase that % ownership for you once the company passes $x profits, and it keeps going up. This way you also get to access the company's resources (with risk all on them) while testing if this will all work out. The long term plan is to get more and more % ownership in the company to become a co-owner or majority ownership.

Can't you use your mom or dad's name? And work that on the side.
The 4.5% deal is not an option. I will basically build them a company from the ground up for about 4.5%. in an extremely competitive market. They will also prohibit me to start anything for about 2 years. Not worth it.

Also hustling on the side is not an easy option, they will find out probably. On the other hand im pretty confident I can find another job or go back to my current job.

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Fine line between giving in to fear and making stupid choices, taking to much risk. But I do agree staying at my current job is the safe option and the option 98% would take.
I regret replying.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yes, haven't done before and the only thing scaring me. I'm sure I can deliver on the project I close.
Then you need to hire or outsource someone to help you if you quit and go out on your own. An expert can save you tons of grief and teach you how to do that part of the business.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Also hustling on the side is not an easy option, they will find out probably. On the other hand im pretty confident I can find another job or go back to my current job.

If you've enough savings to last for one year comfortably, and are confident that you can get your first couple clients fast, then take that risk and quit, since you say you can find another job or go back to your current one (will your current boss still take you back after you start your own company to compete with his? Lol)

Also, for the first few clients, maybe you can contact the current ones under your current company and offer them better deals when you start your new company, to entice them to shift over.

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Fine line between giving in to fear and making stupid choices, taking to much risk. But I do agree staying at my current job is the safe option and the option 98% would take.
It is a job, it's not like you're not giving up your left kidney or something you can't replace. I bet you, you could find 5-10 other jobs who would be willing to hire you if things fall through. Quitting your job is only stupid if you have no plan. If you have a plan, execute it. If you need to quit your job to execute the plan, then quit your job.

Don't let a job shackle you to mediocrity.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.