• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

GOLD! How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

Discussion in 'Hustles, Freelancing, Bootstrapping' started by Fox, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,090
    Derek, here's the order I recommended for Rob's videos, for a friend with a sales background but no web experience.

1 no experience
    2 work for free?
    3 business results whiteboard
    4 first sale with email templates
    5 what to charge
    6 sales questions
    7 sales mistakes
    8 $3,000 sale

As for the wordiness...
    1. If there's someone teaching something, I don't see it as a problem if they want to have some articles and essays.
    2. I don't see where the wordiness is on the site. All I see is a few paragraphs here and there about the different martial arts styles, instructors etc. This looks like a clean modern appealing site, that makes me think the company knows what they're doing. This doesn't look wordy at all. So I think you don't need any kind of apology.
    3. I wouldn't bring up the quantity of words or the lack of SEO or whatever. If a potential client says something to you about it, just simply tell them that you did the design, and the client wanted to use their own words without any copywriting from you.

Remember Rob suggested 3-5 free clients if needed before trying hard to sell paying projects.

Do you have a progress thread of your own on the forum? I'd like to keep up with how it goes for you!

2. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,090
    You can make this part of your life by talking about it more.

How's it going, Fast? Oh great, having fun building some more web sites for clients.

What about this rain, Fast? I don't mind, it lets me stay in and code a couple more web sites.

Want some chopsticks for your sushi, Fast? Sure, that's not as complicated as what I had to code for a web site yesterday.

If you keep bringing it up in passing, people are going to start thinking of you as the website guy.

FastNAwesome and keith4444 like this.
  3. KeithWallace

KeithWallace New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $92
    Quite right Thomas, you could literally spend your whole life trying to master all of these technologies and never actually achieve anything of value. I regularly fall into the same trap - there are people developing new shiny toys faster than I can possibly learn them. I thought I'd never be able to do a web project until I was fully proficient in JavaScript (including the yearly updates to the language), JQuery, Node, React, Ember, Angular, Grunt, Gulp, npm, bower, less, sass... the list just goes on for ever.

Some of these frameworks and tools are designed to solve specific problems (problems that you probably don't have), and some are just the result of computer techs wanting to make something cooler and better than what has gone before. The creators of these things aren't necessarily creating to fulfil a business need; they are thinking like a tech and not an owner/boss/entrepreneur wanting to make some big, fast money.

You won't need any of it, unless you're applying for a specific job in coding with a company, or you're developing a complex web app. By that time you'll know what you need and why. HTML and CSS will get you a functional, fast, clean website.

And if there's something you consistently find yourself doing over and over again that you suddenly wish there was an easier way, or a way to automate it, or was easier to structure, then probably one of the above tools will help out.

Sure these things can be useful and cool, but not essential for our business needs. I just spent two days learning grunt and gulp, only to realise at the end that I don't actually need a workflow! I can easily create a few folders myself, copy a bit of code and get cracking. I just got caught up in too many tech blogs and things you 'must know as a web developer'. Grrr!

4. momomaurice

momomaurice Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $733
    Great post Fox. I havent read it all yet but their is some excellent stuff on here. I feel like packing my bags and moving to Spain and starting my own online business after reading this.

5. momomaurice

momomaurice Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $733
    I Read this thread about 2 weeks ago and couldn't stop thinking about it. I bought the web school course, a Udemy coding course and a copywriting course. I am working on them every day and night and I'm moving to Spain on September 15th. I'm going all in on this and I'm sure I will be ready before I make the move. I will definitely make a progress thread when I start getting sales.

Oklm and LRival87 like this.