The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ever wonder how people end up in dead end jobs at 40?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is a long, rambling story I wanted to share with you after I was troubled by something I saw the other night. It's almost written as a short story. If you don't like a little introspection, or are reading for a business plan, skip this thread. Someone out there needed to hear this message, and I hope it gets in the hands of the people that needed to read this. Many of us might see ourselves through the eyes of the main character below. - Vigilante

I stopped in with my kid a few nights ago to a local sub sandwich shop, and the sad story written there is etched in my mind. In a combination of thankfulness and helpfulness, I pour out the story here like retelling of a dream. Only, this wasn’t a dream, but a glimpse into the desperate eyes of thousands of people across the United States. The forgotten ones, the failures of capitalism. The working class.

You can find my perception judgmental, until you realize that the story also marks the beginning of my story. I was this guy. Dropping out of school, I was working in retail. Young and not wise enough to realize the deck was stacked against me, I bucked the odds. Through a combination of tenacity and reinvention, I broke the mold. However, I can give you a glimpse into the life I saw a few nights ago, and give you eyes to see through the hands and into the heart and mind of the clerk, the salesperson, the forgotten ones.

I pulled into the sandwich shop, needing to get my kid a sandwich. Having spent the afternoon at an amusement park and her private swimming lessons, if I brought her fuel tank back on “empty” I would be answering to her mother. A ham and cheese better than nothing, we pulled my paid-for vehicle into the lot and went into the store. We ordered some food, and settled into a booth that she would spend the next fifteen minutes using as a jungle gym. She’s the kid that you hate sitting at the table next to.

It was then that I saw him, the 21 year old mirror image of me. Only, he was probably 48. Dressed in a cheap suit and tie, name tag slung around his neck like a noose, he was on a 29 minute escape from his evening shift at the mens clothing store a few doors down the mall. His suit was a little rumpled, which was probably OK as a quick scan of the parking lot indicated there probably were no customers to notice that night anyway. His eyes showed that he was a million miles away.

He was on about minute 10 of his 29 minute escape, an unpaid half hour that extended his required scheduled time by the same 29 minutes. You get a half hour break plus two fifteen minute breaks for every eight hours you work in the United States. A half hour isn’t really enough time to do anything, and most nights the time is spent sitting in the break room, watching the clock and wishing you were anywhere else. It's just enough time for you to settle in to your resentment of your job, and then the bell rings or the whistle blows and you are right back where you started from.

This wasn’t his first job, and likely wouldn’t be his last. A series of choices and setbacks had led him to this sandwich shop that night. He turned it over in his head, over and over and over again. When he left the clothing shop for his "break" his 24 year old boss told him to make sure he was back on time this time. As if there were another time that he hadn’t been. F*cker.

He looked at the clock on his 4th generation iPhone, and with 19 minutes left, his mind slipped away into another mindless game of Tetris. He set his personal high score last week, in what was probably his millionth game. High score. The occasion passed with nothing more than a quick flash on the screen, and then he was back folding shirts again.

His dinner that night cost him more than he made for the last hour. He had a base pay of $12 plus commission, but with no customers in the shop, there was no commission. Add to that he was required to take a half hour unpaid, and his sandwich cost him more than he made after taxes for nearly two hours.

The Tetris helped him forget. It helped him forget that his son's tuition was due tomorrow. He felt dead. He felt trapped. When he allowed himself to think about it, he couldn’t breathe. His ability to pretend it wasn’t happening ended when the credit card was declined, and then they started calling. Not sure what he was supposed to tell them. He put their number on ignore, but knew that was only going to make it all worse.

He looked at the clock as he drifted away into another game. 9 minutes left.

They told him tonight they were cutting his hours back to one hour less than full time. He’d have even less. He didn’t have anything to say. Where else would he go? When he took this job, he told himself it was just temporary. But last week turned into yesterday, which turned into today. And now he had to go home, and tell his wife he just got a pay cut.

6 minutes.

It was easier to just not think about it. Three more hours of standing around a store with no customers. It made no sense to him. He got mad. He thought about the fact that his time was worth so little to them that they would just have him stand around, folding shirts and paying him less than a sandwich. Last month, they changed the commission plan so that even the sales he did were subtracted from his “salary” before he got any commission. Tonight, though, that wouldn’t matter.

4 minutes.

He would almost rather be there than at home.

3 minutes. He slumped down in his chair. He didn’t want to be there. The sandwich made him sick, as the stress turned into a knot in his stomach. He started another game, and then realized he had to get back. Back to what? Back to nothing. Back to his time clock. He had to rush back to be on time to stand around.

He crumpled up his salary in the form of a sandwich wrapper, and headed towards the door. Making a left, he was the only one headed to the clothing store from the parking lot. He’d watch the clock roll towards 9PM, knowing his wife was likely to be asleep when he got home.

And tomorrow, it would start all over again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This forum gets dozens of thousands of hits per week. Many of them are people just like this guy, looking for something that can help them. Something that can encourage them. Something that can teach them. Maybe… maybe that guy is you.

These people are all around us. Capitalism requires it. There are more of them than there are of us. Most of them will never break out. Most of them will never find a way. Some won’t do it because they can’t, some won’t do it because they won’t. Some won’t do it because they think it is game over.

The guy in the sandwich shop reminded me of me. I was him. I fought like hell and found a way, but absent that I once wore his suit. Many of us did.

It’s not enough for you to take everything from this forum and use it for your own gain. It’s not enough for you to read the Millionaire Fast Lane, the Four Hour Work Week, start your business, and live happily ever after. Your life will still be devoid of meaning until you figure out how to reach people with scale and bring them with you.

Look deeply into the eyes of the clothing store clerk in the sandwich shop. At a minimum, lets realize that he deserves compassion. He may never make it. He may never find it. He may always live from day to day eating those shitty sandwiches. Showing you shirts. Folding shirts. And you and I? We look past him. We wonder why he's such an a**hole at the clothing store.

KAK left the forum. He then came back to reach more people in scale. MJ DeMarco could have just walked away, and never written the Millionaire Fast Lane.

I taught some classes last fall. Most of the people sitting in the class were in various stages of being that guy in the sandwich shop. I haven’t reached enough of them yet. We’re not all called to be teachers. Some can give back through philanthropy. Some can give back through teaching. Others through works or other ways of effecting people, either individually or in scale.

Not sure why I spent the time telling you all this, other than the realization that had my life taken some different turns, I could have been that guy in the sandwich shop. That guy is here. Reading this post. Rather than step around them when they find us, maybe we should do a better job here at the forum of helping them find a way.

What will your legacy look like?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Gripping tale, evoked some serious anxiety.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
Very good writing. Thanks for sharing.

Reminds me of the other day, when I was in line to pick up carry out. The group in front of me was congratulating a lady who was about to retire. They were all quite a bit older. I'd guess she was in her 60s or maybe even 70s. Scared the work right out of me.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Great post. Great writing.

I think compassion is very important.

I always volunteer to help the homeless and many people don't realize the "parallel universe" that exists.

We walk by them on the streets and we never know what they are truly going through. The mental illness, the loneliness, etc.

We don't realize that that could have easily been us if all the circumstances and variables aligned.

I think compassion is a great Fastlane quality because it allows us to STOP and listen to what cannot be seen or heard or what most people completely overlook in other people.

Most people don't have compassion. But then again most people are not successful either.

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
This is a long, rambling story I wanted to share with you after I was troubled by something I saw the other night. It's almost written as a short story. If you don't like a little introspection, or are reading for a business plan, skip this thread. Someone out there needed to hear this message, and I hope it gets in the hands of the people that needed to read this. Many of us might see ourselves through the eyes of the main character below. - Vigilante

I stopped in with my kid a few nights ago to a local sub sandwich shop, and the sad story written there is etched in my mind. In a combination of thankfulness and helpfulness, I pour out the story here like retelling of a dream. Only, this wasn’t a dream, but a glimpse into the desperate eyes of thousands of people across the United States. The forgotten ones, the failures of capitalism. The working class.

You can find my perception judgmental, until you realize that the story also marks the beginning of my story. I was this guy. Dropping out of school, I was working in retail. Young and not wise enough to realize the deck was stacked against me, I bucked the odds. Through a combination of tenacity and reinvention, I broke the mold. However, I can give you a glimpse into the life I saw a few nights ago, and give you eyes to see through the hands and into the heart and mind of the clerk, the salesperson, the forgotten ones.

I pulled into the sandwich shop, needing to get my kid a sandwich. Having spent the afternoon at an amusement park and her private swimming lessons, if I brought her fuel tank back on “empty” I would be answering to her mother. A ham and cheese better than nothing, we pulled my paid-for vehicle into the lot and went into the store. We ordered some food, and settled into a booth that she would spend the next fifteen minutes using as a jungle gym. She’s the kid that you hate sitting at the table next to.

It was then that I saw him, the 21 year old mirror image of me. Only, he was probably 48. Dressed in a cheap suit and tie, name tag slung around his neck like a noose, he was on a 29 minute escape from his evening shift at the mens clothing store a few doors down the mall. His suit was a little rumpled, which was probably OK as a quick scan of the parking lot indicated there probably were no customers to notice that night anyway. His eyes showed that he was a million miles away.

He was on about minute 10 of his 29 minute escape, an unpaid half hour that extended his required scheduled time by the same 29 minutes. You get a half hour break plus two fifteen minute breaks for every eight hours you work in the United States. A half hour isn’t really enough time to do anything, and most nights the time is spent sitting in the break room, watching the clock and wishing you were anywhere else. It's just enough time for you to settle in to your resentment of your job, and then the bell rings or the whistle blows and you are right back where you started from.

This wasn’t his first job, and likely wouldn’t be his last. A series of choices and setbacks had led him to this sandwich shop that night. He turned it over in his head, over and over and over again. When he left the clothing shop for his "break" his 24 year old boss told him to make sure he was back on time this time. As if there were another time that he hadn’t been. F*cker.

He looked at the clock on his 4th generation iPhone, and with 19 minutes left, his mind slipped away into another mindless game of Tetris. He set his personal high score last week, in what was probably his millionth game. High score. The occasion passed with nothing more than a quick flash on the screen, and then he was back folding shirts again.

His dinner that night cost him more than he made for the last hour. He had a base pay of $12 plus commission, but with no customers in the shop, there was no commission. Add to that he was required to take a half hour unpaid, and his sandwich cost him more than he made after taxes for nearly two hours.

The Tetris helped him forget. It helped him forget that his son's tuition was due tomorrow. He felt dead. He felt trapped. When he allowed himself to think about it, he couldn’t breathe. His ability to pretend it wasn’t happening ended when the credit card was declined, and then they started calling. Not sure what he was supposed to tell them. He put their number on ignore, but knew that was only going to make it all worse.

He looked at the clock as he drifted away into another game. 9 minutes left.

They told him tonight they were cutting his hours back to one hour less than full time. He’d have even less. He didn’t have anything to say. Where else would he go? When he took this job, he told himself it was just temporary. But last week turned into yesterday, which turned into today. And now he had to go home, and tell his wife he just got a pay cut.

6 minutes.

It was easier to just not think about it. Three more hours of standing around a store with no customers. It made no sense to him. He got mad. He thought about the fact that his time was worth so little to them that they would just have him stand around, folding shirts and paying him less than a sandwich. Last month, they changed the commission plan so that even the sales he did were subtracted from his “salary” before he got any commission. Tonight, though, that wouldn’t matter.

4 minutes.

He would almost rather be there than at home.

3 minutes. He slumped down in his chair. He didn’t want to be there. The sandwich made him sick, as the stress turned into a knot in his stomach. He started another game, and then realized he had to get back. Back to what? Back to nothing. Back to his time clock. He had to rush back to be on time to stand around.

He crumpled up his salary in the form of a sandwich wrapper, and headed towards the door. Making a left, he was the only one headed to the clothing store from the parking lot. He’d watch the clock roll towards 9PM, knowing his wife was likely to be asleep when he got home.

And tomorrow, it would start all over again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This forum gets dozens of thousands of hits per week. Many of them are people just like this guy, looking for something that can help them. Something that can encourage them. Something that can teach them. Maybe… maybe that guy is you.

These people are all around us. Capitalism requires it. There are more of them than there are of us. Most of them will never break out. Most of them will never find a way. Some won’t do it because they can’t, some won’t do it because they won’t. Some won’t do it because they think it is game over.

The guy in the sandwich shop reminded me of me. I was him. I fought like hell and found a way, but absent that I once wore his suit. Many of us did.

It’s not enough for you to take everything from this forum and use it for your own gain. It’s not enough for you to read the Millionaire Fast Lane, the Four Hour Work Week, start your business, and live happily ever after. Your life will still be devoid of meaning until you figure out how to reach people with scale and bring them with you.

Look deeply into the eyes of the clothing store clerk in the sandwich shop. At a minimum, lets realize that he deserves compassion. He may never make it. He may never find it. He may always live from day to day eating those shitty sandwiches. Showing you shirts. Folding shirts. And you and I? We look past him. We wonder why he's such an a**hole at the clothing store.

KAK left the forum. He then came back to reach more people in scale. MJ DeMarco could have just walked away, and never written the Millionaire Fast Lane.

I taught some classes last fall. Most of the people sitting in the class were in various stages of being that guy in the sandwich shop. I haven’t reached enough of them yet. We’re not all called to be teachers. Some can give back through philanthropy. Some can give back through teaching. Others through works or other ways of effecting people, either individually or in scale.

Not sure why I spent the time telling you all this, other than the realization that had my life taken some different turns, I could have been that guy in the sandwich shop. That guy is here. Reading this post. Rather than step around them when they find us, maybe we should do a better job here at the forum of helping them find a way.

What will your legacy look like?

Another V classic, however; this is my second favorite post.

Go watch my daughters tumbling class.

Money can wait for some other day.

This is still number #1. ^^^^ from your "Addicted to Passive Income" thread.

The young guys, and the bachelors may not get it, but for the fathers on the forum, it was subtle - yet very powerful - on the surface it was about economics, but peel it back and it's more about the man.

Being able to shut it down at anytime and spend the day/week/month with the people that matter....

that is the equivalent of "My Lamborghini Moment."

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Great post. Great writing.

I think compassion is very important.

I always volunteer to help the homeless and many people don't realize the "parallel universe" that exists.

We walk by them on the streets and we never know what they are truly going through. The mental illness, the loneliness, etc.

We don't realize that that could have easily been us if all the circumstances and variables aligned.

I think compassion is a great Fastlane quality because it allows us to STOP and listen to what cannot be seen or heard or what most people completely overlook in other people.

Most people don't have compassion. But then again most people are not successful either.

Compassion helps us to see what others needs/wants, thus give us more ways to build a fastlane.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Have spent many 'working hours' moments with my boys instead of the computer. Sure seems like a better investment! The freedom to do so is an awesome thing.

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
This really hit home for me since I am turning 40 in just a few days. I am not in a dead end job but I do feel "anxious" that time is not on my side and I have a lot more things I want to do. I better get busy!

Disobey

following breadcrumbs
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Feb 18, 2014
Luxembourg
Well I think I'm on the right path to discover it for myself.

This year has been a total shitstorm for us and this week I think it just reached its peak (let's hope I'm not too optimistic here).

As I said in my introduction post (almost 2 years ago, damn!) I moved back home to live with my mom and grandmother. So did my cousin.
Both our lives were in pretty bad shape at the time but we fought back. He managed to beat his addiction to alcohol and drugs, and gave up his criminal past. I've beaten my gambling addiction.
This house was always a kind of fort Alamo for our family. My mom helped other family members get back on their feet when they needed it countless times.

In march, my "father" sued my mom (who got divorced in 2014) to get the house and throw us out. He has a decent income and no alimony to pay to her, he's got his own place, but it's not enough for him apparently.
We'll know early november if we still have a house or if we'll be homeless, for good this time.

Business wise I've been spinning my wheels for a year. Nothing seems to pick up, probably because I have nothing more to give than what's already available out there. I tried the ebook route even though I'm a poor writer which is probably the cause of my demise. Launched a hand car-washing business for exotics and high end cars. Failed. Lawn mowing business? You guessed it. Failed. Looks like I suck at building idiot proof businesses.

I feel more like a wantrepreneur than an entrepreneur. Most of those attempts were just me trying to build myself a better job anyway.

The third major catastrophy happened this week as I was in belgium with my cousin looking for a foodtruck for sale. Milkshakes we're my next target. Yes I know... another job. Some low life idiot broke into my car and stole his tablet. No big deal I said. Let's just go signal it to the cops.

After giving our identities at the police station, they ask my cousin to follow them in an office. What's the matter I asked. "Nothing" they said, "just something to check with him, it will take a few minutes"
An hour later they come out saying they're putting him in jail. Turns out his past came back after him. He had been put on trial without even knowing and got sentenced this september to 40 months of incarceration. He told them he lived in Luxembourg with us 3 years ago but they pretended he left no address and they couldn't find him in belgium so they didn't even leave him a chance to defend himself during the trial. wtf. They'll find you in the middle of the north pole if you owe 50$ to the government but won't move their a$$ if you need to defend yourself in court.

I had to drive back 150kms (93miles) home with a broken window on my car and crying all the tears in my body. I was lost and didn't know how to announce my 85 year old grandma that she probably wouldn't see one of her grandsons for the next three years. This must have been the single hardest moment in my life.

I don't know what to do anymore. I have no debt but won't hesitate to go 30k in the red to get him out or at least get him a reduced sentence even though we lost one third of our income overnight.

The fear of ending like that guy you described chills me to the bone Vigilante. I dropped out of high-school so I've got virtually no chance to find a decent paying job unless I go back to school (even so). I'm not the smartest guy in town neither. My attempts at building a business is the stuff jokes are made of. And now I'm torn between getting in debt to save a man I consider like a brother or keep my money in case we lose our home.

I've really got to fix my mindset right now.

I'll be 29 in a few months but I feel like I just aged 20 years in a year.
I used to dream of Ferrari's, Lambo's and mustangs. Now I don't care anymore. All I want is freedom and safety for my family. They are all that matters to me.

This Al pacino speech sounds really fitting.

Tl,dr: Life is a box of chocolates.

p.s: Firstly, i'm sorry for bringing back an old thread.
Secondly I'm sorry if this post looks like i'm lamenting myself (Oh! Poor me!) but it feels good to get this off my chest.
And finally, if the bad english in this post causes sudden blindness, please for god's sake don't sue me!

Last edited:

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 27, 2015
Well I think I'm on the right path to discover it for myself.

This year has been a total shitstorm for us and this weak I think it just reached its peak (let's hope I'm not too optimistic here).

As I said in my introduction post (almost 2 years ago, damn!) I moved back home to live with my mom and grandmother. So did my cousin.
Both our lives were in pretty bad shape at the time but we fought back. He managed to beat his addiction to alcohol and drugs, and gave up his criminal past. I've beaten my gambling addiction.
This house was always a kind of fort Alamo for our family. My mom helped other family members get back on their feat when they needed it countless times.

In marsh, my "father" sued my mom (who got divorced in 2014) to get the house and throw us out. He has a decent income and no alimony to pay to her, he's got his own place, but it's not enough for him apparently.
We'll know early november if we still have a house or if we'll be homeless, for good this time.

Business wise I've been spinning my wheels for a year. Nothing seems to pick up, probably because I have nothing more to give than what's already available out there. I tried the ebook route even though I'm a poor writer which is probably the cause of my demise. Launched a hand car-washing business for exotics and high end cars. Failed. Lawn mowing business? You guessed it. Failed. Looks like I suck at building idiot proof businesses.

I feel more like a wantrepreneur than an entrepreneur. Most of those attempts were just me trying to build myself a better job anyway.

The third major catastrophy happened this week as I was in belgium with my cousin looking for a foodtruck for sale. Milkshakes we're my next target. Yes I know... another job. Some low life idiot broke into my car and stole his tablet. No big deal I said. Let's just go signal it to the cops.

After giving our identities at the police station, they ask my cousin to follow them in an office. What's the matter I asked. "Nothing" they said, "just something to check with him, it will take a few minutes"
An hour later they come out saying they're putting him in jail. Turns out his past came back after him. He had been put on trial without even knowing and got sentenced this september to 40 months of incarceration. He told them he lived in Luxembourg with us 3 years ago but they pretended he left no address and they couldn't find him in belgium so they didn't even leave him a chance to defend himself during the trial. wtf. They'll find you in the middle of the north pole if you owe 50$ to the government but won't move their a$$ if you need to defend yourself in court.

I had to drive back 150kms (93miles) home with a broken window on my car and crying all the tears in my body. I was lost and didn't know how to announce my 85 year old grandma that she probably wouldn't see one of her grandsons for the next three years. This must have been the single hardest moment in my life.

I don't know what to do anymore. I have no debt but won't hesitate to go 30k in the red to get him out or at least get him a reduced sentence even though we lost one third of our income overnight.

The fear of ending like that guy you described chills me to the bone Vigilante. I dropped out of high-school so I've got virtually no chance to find a decent paying job unless I go back to school (even so). I'm not the smartest guy in town neither. My attempts at building a business is the stuff jokes are made of. And now I'm torn between getting in debt to save a man I consider like a brother or keep my money in case we lose our home.

I've really got to fix my mindset right now.

I'll be 29 in a few months but I feel like I just aged 20 years in a year.
I used to dream of Ferrari's, Lambo's and mustangs. Now I don't care anymore. All I want is freedom and safety for my family. They are all that matters to me.

This Al pacino speech sounds really fitting.

Tl,dr: Life is a box of chocolates.

p.s: Firstly, i'm sorry for bringing back an old thread.
Secondly I'm sorry if this post looks like i'm lamenting myself (Oh! Poor me!) but it feels good to get this off my chest.
And finally, if the bad english in this post causes sudden blindness, please for god's sake don't sue me!

Keep going bro, I am 29 as well. From the outside I look good, just graduated college with no debt, almost had a good job, but then a back surgery set me back many years that I had to move back to my Mom's place. But look at this way, we are only 29, life is still a long way to go, heck MJ didn't make his first million until like 30s or something, so we still have many chances. Just start working to get rid of your problems, little by little.

Nicko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Oct 14, 2015
Australia

If you have any kind of business success, one very simple but extremely important way to 'give back' is to look after your employees.

It's great to create a business and turn a profit but not at the expense of other people's happiness. I would be utterly miserable myself if one of my employees was this unhappy and it's just not good business sense anyway.

Take care of YOUR employees and they will take care of YOUR business. Then everyone's happy :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
Just wow.. I'm a bit lost for words after reading this to be honest.

@MJ DeMarco this thread is GOLD-worthy in my opinion. This story has the potential of making people realize where they are heading to. This is something that should pop into your head when you are laying on your couch watching the 5. episode of your favorite tv show in a row.

Just listen to a few pop songs on the radio and you will hear the main topic (besides love stories) is to party and live your life.. I don't have to look any further than my own friends to see why those songs are so popular. People got things like 'yolo' written in their whatsapp status or on instagram. But instead of using it as a kick-your-a$$ because of the limited amount of time we all got, they use it as an excuse to make Thursday a 3rd day of partying every week. They don't think any further than next weekend, they try to forget their boring life while the few hours of happiness a week, but don't realize that just because you don't think about it, doesn't mean that it is not there. It's like closing your eyes in front of a monster, hoping that it is just not there. This may even work, thanks to alcohol and dancing to 'live-to-party'-lyrics in the club, but as soon as you have to open your eyes again, the monster is still there. People realize this when they have to set their alarm clock for the next day, on sunday evening. People don't think about the fact that they will be setting their alarm clock every sunday evening for the next 40 years if they continue living this way.

People are so into their lifestyle and love their party nights so much, that everything you say against it would be considered as strange or being a fun killer. I had to learn that it is nearly impossible to convince someone of something with pure logical arguments, people don't even want to listen to something that's against their opinion. That's why I find this story so powerful, it hits you with the blunt truth, and thanks to Vigilante's way of writing, you really see that guy sitting there, making it possible to feel the story and not just hearing it.

Another good point here is to not just judge a person based on their mood or behaviour without knowing their story. When I was about 16 and started to go to parties and drink and stuff like that (yep in Germany you can do this with 16) I was just careless, I felt free and happy. The weekends were awesome and I wanted them nights to last forever. Besides all that party stuff, me and my friends really felt free.. We just graduated from school, we all lived at home, we had no bills to pay, no worries other than teenager problems, we didn't have too much, but we felt free.

Then came the day I had to start a job. And I never felt that feeling of being free again for a long time. I asked myself 'that's it? That's life? Working a job for the next 40 years?' I always felt like something was wrong with me. Everyone was talking about carreers and how much effort they put into their job. And me? I hated every single morning of the week. I hated to put on this uncomfortable suit every single morning of the week. I didn't want the ride to work to end, because I knew those 30 minutes of listening to music through my earphones are followed by 8 hours working a job I don't like. I used to tell myself that I have to grow up, and that I'm still too immature. I always thought something was wrong with my way of thinking, I never asked if something may be wrong with the standard way of thinking, with society at all. I'm thankful that I never adjusted my way of thinking to society's.

I'm not where Vigilante already is, but I know that I will be one day. My resistance of accepting society's way of thinking finally led me to TMF and TMF led me to this forum. And yes, reading a book or in a forum doesn't make you a millionaire and it doesn't change your life. But it has the power to change your mindset and if you act on that new mindset, it has the power to change your life in a good way. And Vigilante's story is something that has this power, at least for me.

So the next time you tell your children, your family, your friends or anyone a horror story, tell them this one. It may change their way of viewing things.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If you have any kind of business success, one very simple but extremely important way to 'give back' is to look after your employees.

It's great to create a business and turn a profit but not at the expense of other people's happiness. I would be utterly miserable myself if one of my employees was this unhappy and it's just not good business sense anyway.

Take care of YOUR employees and they will take care of YOUR business. Then everyone's happy :)

If you own a business, and you have 10 employees, 7 of them hate their jobs. Period.

Nearly 70% of employees dislike their jobs. It's an unfixable condition, created because capitalism requires it.

My opinion was like yours once. I finally had the financial means to solve the problem you describe.

I paid my employees WAY more than average wages, gave them WAY more than average benefits, and did everything possible to make it the best place in the world to work.

Know what I received in return? Nothing more than what I would have received if I operated like all other businesses.

The fallacy of my hypothesis is if they just treated the workers better, the outcome and productivity would be better.

I was dead wrong, but spent dozens of thousands of dollars taking my theory and disproving it.

The bottom line is when people work to make other people money, they're not happy.

I know a guy that my multi-bazillion dollar mentor rescued from the scrap heap. When he rescued the guy, the guy couldn't buy a pair of shoes. Several years into the rescued guy's six figure annual salary, the guy quit in a blaze of fire. Why? Envy. Even though he was rescued from the scrap heap, and paid annually several times what he was on his first day... once he saw that the fruits of his labor were going to make someone else money... he forgot where he came from. It was't enough any more. If you told him on day 1 what his net earnings would have been in year 4, he would have sold his soul to the devil for that kind of money. But once he saw the fact that he was making that money because he was making the boss 10x that, suddenly it wasn't enough.

So you (and I) were 100% wrong. It doesn't matter how well you take care of the people. Until they get the yield from their labor, they're always going to want more, and take more. And they should. It becomes the awakening that their existence is to serve someone else's needs. The anger is right. The distain is right. The tradeoff is not worth what you sacrifice. In the book, MJ talks about trading 5 days of slavery for 2 days of freedom. This is what this represents. That is the average worker. That is why they hate it. They may not be able to articulate it like MJ did, but that is what they are feeling. And some... never do a damn thing about it. They just wait until another Friday night arrives, and drink it off for another long weekend.

The whole reason you are at this forum is because you agree with that. There is NO BOSS that can treat you well enough that you don't want to chart your own destiny... or you wouldn't be here.

People can be complacent. People can settle. People can be resigned to their lot in life. But they comprise the 70%+ of people that hate their jobs. They are the subject of the OP.

Are YOU the subject of the OP?

Last edited:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
If you own a business, and you have 10 employees, 7 of them hate their jobs. Period.

Nearly 70% of employees dislike their jobs. It's an unfixable condition, created because capitalism requires it.

My opinion was like yours once. I finally had the financial means to solve the problem you describe.

I paid my employees WAY more than average wages, gave them WAY more than average benefits, and did everything possible to make it the best place in the world to work.

Know what I received in return? Nothing more than what I would have received if I operated like all other businesses.

The fallacy of my hypothesis is if they just treated the workers better, the outcome and productivity would be better.

I was dead wrong, but spent dozens of thousands of dollars taking my theory and disproving it.

The bottom line is when people work to make other people money, they're not happy.

I know a guy that my multi-bazillion dollar mentor rescued from the scrap heap. When he rescued the guy, the guy couldn't buy a pair of shoes. Several years into the rescued guy's six figure annual salary, the guy quit in a blaze of fire. Why? Envy. Even though he was rescued from the scrap heap, and paid annually several times what he was on his first day... once he saw that the fruits of his labor were going to make someone else money... he forgot where he came from. It was't enough any more. If you told him on day 1 what his net earnings would have been in year 4, he would have sold his soul to the devil for that kind of money. But once he saw the fact that he was making that money because he was making the boss 10x that, suddenly it wasn't enough.

So you (and I) were 100% wrong. It doesn't matter how well you take care of the people. Until they get the yield from their labor, they're always going to want more, and take more.

The whole reason you are at this forum is because you agree with that. There is NO BOSS that can treat you well enough that you don't want to chart your own destiny... or you wouldn't be here.

People can be complacent. People can settle. People can be resigned to their lot in life. But they comprise the 70%+ of people that hate their jobs. They are the subject of the OP.

Work just hard enough not to get fired.
Pay just enough so that they won't quit.

Those are the rules.

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014

The whole country sympathizes with the guy Vig describes in the OP. There are political movements that shake the world built on this very story.

Almost everybody envies the guy in the dead end $100/hr job (and most political movements attack this guy), but all that really changes is the clothes don't suck and the house and car is nicer.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The whole country sympathizes with the guy Vig describes in the OP. There are political movements that shake the world built on this very story.

Almost everybody envies with the guy in the dead end $100/hr job (and most political movements attack this guy), but all that really changes is the clothes don't suck and the house and car is nicer.

Wow what a solid post. Sobering. I read your last sentence like three times. Speed+.

The nice part for readers of this forum is you are the chance to break the cycle.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

Almost everybody envies the guy in the dead end $100/hr job (and most political movements attack this guy), but all that really changes is the clothes don't suck and the house and car is nicer.

And once you understand this --- it is the day you should buy a calendar, put a big red circle on a date in the future, and count down the days to that day.

Nothing short of escape is an option once you get it.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Here's the upside. If you press through this, you can do what ever the hell you want.

This afternoon, I think I am going to go to the racetrack, play Keenland (as their meet is short) and then maybe catch the rollover of the Pick6 at Santa Anita.

I don't work for the man any more. I couldn't be a responsible employee ever again. I passed my red circled date on the calendar several years ago.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
red-circle-mark-on-the-2.jpg

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY

Thousands, if not millions, of dollars are spent every year by businesses to "culture shape" to "improve employee engagement and productivity". Yet, for me, it never seems to have any impact. More likely than not, I hear people laugh at crap like "the mood elevator" and "be here now".

I recently read something that resonated with me: the purpose of paid employment is to get paid. Everything else is secondary to that. I think more people need to realize that, and seek meaning and inclusion elsewhere.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I love when people try to counteract human nature, as if they can resolve 10,000 years of programming.

Just to give you a clue how things work in an medical facility.

The janitors think the receptionists make too much money.
The receptionists thinks the scrub technicians make too much money.
The scrub technicians think the nurses make too much money.
The nurses think the doctors make too much money.
The doctors think the facility shareholders make too much money.

Envy has no end.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.