The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

GOLD! Ever wonder how people end up in dead end jobs at 40?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Bertram

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Oct 25, 2015
Arizona and Maine
@Vigilante, I was re-reading your OP for inspiration. I don't know how I missed this article the first time, but I literally burst out laughing. That's pretty much what I did in June.

And this question is why I did it (quit my job). I thought, how can I be an example to my kids if I don't go for it. After almost slipping back into another job, for security's sake, I decided instead to become a real estate agent so that I can leverage my time and spend my days helping people while learning how to invest. I have to be on guard, though, to not let myself slip back into the script just because of the security. It is not secure. It is a mirage. Now I get to walk around outside, in the fall (eventually, it arrives late in Houston), and enjoy glorious days instead of being stuck in the same ten square feet of space. I appreciate everyone on this forum who called me out and gave me the courage to do it.
Fantastic comment. Good luck. I'm trying to imagine whaf the autumn seasons are like in Texas.
What kind of investment are you considering.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Suzanne Bazemore

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Sep 30, 2018
Fantastic comment. Good luck. I'm trying to imagine whaf the autumn seasons are like in Texas.
What kind of investment are you considering.
We are going to try to start with a flip because I'm doing this with my 20-year-old son, but I will get something that I can hold and rent if a flip doesn't work. I'll start a progress thread when I get something.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Very thought provoking post.

Also alot of unique stories of woman or guy living modestly even mopping floors then leave 2 Million Dollars to a College!

Last edited:

STEFANTP

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 24, 2019
@Vigilante , I have no words to thank you for this story. My activity for the last years was action faking, and through this post, I managed to see the destination I will arrive at, if I continue with this. I plan to read this again, and again, and again.. The first lesson I take from this: Red Circle on the calendar. Thanks a lot.

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 20, 2016
Good tale.

A key theme in this story as stated by others is 'compassion'.

Over the last couple of years of being in business, I must admit that I've lost a lot of my compassion. I've not become jaded, I've just seen too many people willingly choose to be ignorant or cruel to get their own way. I don't even give money to homeless people anymore.

This story reminds me of the times as a child when I donated clothes and food to people in need and would daydream about 'saving humanity'. Nowadays I only have compassion for two people in my life, as it should be.

Awareness of human nature forces you to mature and get a better understanding of the world. I'm glad I'm not as naive as I was back then and hope I continue to mature and grow, even if it means swallowing more bitter red pills (thankfully my bank account continues to reflect this growth hahahaha).

Katherine

Contributor
Mar 11, 2019
Singapore
3.5 years away 40 years old.
This is a wake up call. Can I still turn the wheel around in the next 6 months? My children age 7 and 5 await for me and I am struggling to make my business work. Can I make scale this up? Yes I can make it work!

Dopefish1337

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 12, 2017
Norway
I love when people try to counteract human nature, as if they can resolve 10,000 years of programming.

Just to give you a clue how things work in an medical facility.

The janitors think the receptionists make too much money.
The receptionists thinks the scrub technicians make too much money.
The scrub technicians think the nurses make too much money.
The nurses think the doctors make too much money.
The doctors think the facility shareholders make too much money.

Envy has no end.
For some reason, I thought of the TV show Scrubs, lol

Dopefish1337

New Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jun 12, 2017
Norway
It's crazy how many employees at the company I work for seem to love their job. Behaving and talking like it's their own company.. Actually as an employer those employees are good to have, I would not want an employee like me to work for me to be honest. I do the job I am paid for, of I'm done earlier I work on my business.. But I don't understand the employees who act like their job is the most important thing in their life.
I feel the exact same way you do, lol

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2015
I feel the exact same way you do, lol

SO this is what I do at work: do the min. amount of work required and not to get fired. Then use the downtime or off time during work to study for more IT certs. Funny thing is management actually likes the fact that I get those certs, because it makes the company look good, and make me look motivated.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Oct 26, 2012
SO this is what I do at work: do the min. amount of work required and not to get fired. Then use the downtime or off time during work to study for more IT certs. Funny thing is management actually likes the fact that I get those certs, because it makes the company look good, and make me look motivated.
Management likes it because you're projecting the paradigm of education onto your working life i.e. "if you want to succeed, you need to get these certificates/diplomas".

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

hellolin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
May 27, 2015
Management likes it because you're projecting the paradigm of education onto your working life i.e. "if you want to succeed, you need to get these certificates/diplomas".
It is also better for me because education can not be taken from me, I can take them from place to place, it is my asset, whereas the work I do at work only belongs to the boss man, not me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
New Course! Upwork Client Psychology I #UdemyApproved! Upwork Client Psychology I is designed...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

The 2020 Fastlane Summit

This event SOLD OUT in October. For authorized resale tickets, please check ticket resales or contact the forum directly.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom