The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ever wonder how people end up in dead end jobs at 40?

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
I can't believe I shared that much, F*ck. I'll be distrcated all morning. LOL I hope making myself very uncomfortable helps others out there who might be reading in some way.

I've actually considered starting a thread called "Winning the Slowlane and Still Losing" to say what I said here. My wording always seemed pretentious and most members are not well down the road in high paying careers anyway so I didn't think it would help many.

Oustanding thread, Vig.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Absolutely. I have to say one of the things that resonated with me the most from the Millionaire Fastlane was the realisation I was investing 5 or 6 days a week of my time for a 1 or 2 day return. Hearing that (audiobook) was like a huge kick in the nuts.

So I'm currently working towards removing myself from the business, but I'll admit, it's a struggle (but one worth making).

Time for another espresso shot. I'm up now so may as well power through till dawn.

The concept of separating your TIME from your INCOME is a foreign one to almost everyone. It makes sense when explained, but that is not the way the work force gets compensated.

@biophase takes safaris to Africa
@Kung Fu Steve is in a different State/Country every 30 days now
@GlobalWealth is an international man of mystery
@AllenCrawley doesn't have a "job"
@Kak is in his young 20s and will never have a job again
@LightHouse is migrating his hourly rates towards passive income
@JAJT quit his day job a few years ago now
nobody even knows what the F*ck @snowbank does
Two past contributors to the forum just completed a several month tour of the capital cities of the entire continental United States.

and on, and on, and on. None of them are wealthy from inheritance (well, maybe one...). All of them have streaming income, and it can be realized from where ever they happen to be located, and as actively or passively as they need it to be. I could list dozens more like them just from the pages of the forum.

The key for everyone on the above list was to obtain a degree of separation between their time and their income stream(s).

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Isn't it funny how companies demand and expect your loyalty, so much so to the point where you are fearful of job hunting in case the word gets back to them? They'd be upset if they knew you were looking. Your quitting might disrupt their planned vacation. That's about as much as it means to them.

Meanwhile, they would F*ck your family over with zero notice to save your salary for their bottom line? Do you think they wouldn't? They would.

Does your spouse think that your job provides the family with job security? Does he/she realize that you're in an insecure position?

At a minimum, recognizing you are a FREE AGENT is one of the first steps towards independence.

Does that guy I saw in the sub sandwich shop in the OP think that his executive team (beyond his immediate supervisors) knows much more about him than his employee number, his pay rate, and his sales for last week/month?

Bouncing Soul

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 13, 2014
A lot of employees think that.

Until the company sees it differently.

There's no such thing in most places as job security. It's a myth. It's a false security, wrapped in a blanket of limited income.

Soon after I left my company they laid off 200 non-manufacturing people. Almost all were highly educated, highly compensated people, who were let go only to juice short term results to sell the company. The company still actually needs them. Some of them had worked there for more than 30 years, and many are probably never going to work in tech again due to their combo of age/pay/over-specialized skills.

They did severance packages, but so what? What is 6mos of pay and a year of health insurance compared to the fact they now have to start over with perhaps totally antiquated skills and too many gray hairs for most hiring managers?

Nicko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Oct 14, 2015
Australia
The concept of separating your TIME from your INCOME is a foreign one to almost everyone. It makes sense when explained, but that is not the way the work force gets compensated.

@biophase takes safaris to Africa
@Kung Fu Steve is in a different State/Country every 30 days now
@GlobalWealth is an international man of mystery
@AllenCrawley doesn't have a "job"
@Kak is in his young 20s and will never have a job again
@LightHouse is migrating his hourly rates towards passive income
@JAJT quit his day job a few years ago now
nobody even knows what the F*ck @snowbank does
Two past contributors to the forum just completed a several month tour of the capital cities of the entire continental United States.

and on, and on, and on. None of them are independently wealthy. All of them have continued income, and it can be realized from where ever they happen to be located, and as actively or passively as they need it to be. I could list dozens more like them just from the pages of the forum.

The key for everyone on the above list was to obtain a degree of separation between their time and their income stream(s).

Well, it sounds like I came to the right place then !!

At 45 years (15 of those as a business owner) it's taken me a while to wake up to this, but thank f--k I finally have.

And to think I was going to waste my time sleeping tonight

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Well, it sounds like I came to the right place then !!

At 45 years (15 of those as a business owner) it's taken me a while to wake up to this, but thank f--k I finally have.

And to think I was going to waste my time sleeping tonight

You can sleep next week. Right now, you have to continue to innovate your freedom.

Because... as you know... nobody... including me or anybody... is watching your back.

You are the only one that can do this. Most people wouldn't even get what we are talking about.

We're taught to believe differently. That's why... the Millionaire Fast Lane.

Control
Entry
Need
Time
Scale

Automation and outsourcing are just CENTS tools.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Vigilante:You don't have to sell me. I just need the how and I'm gone! hehe

Most of this is just the breadcrumb trail we leave for the people that come behind us.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
TBH, I've never really understood that mentality.

I worked for years as an SAP consultant in Europe and we were all paid ridiculous contract rates. My boss (who had a stable of at least 50 of us working for him) came to Frankfurt to take me to dinner (he actually came to race his car at the ring, but took me to dinner while he was there).

Anyway, we got into a friendly discussion about rates. He assumed I'd be pissed if I knew what he was charging me out at per hour compared to what I was getting in hand. I told him I couldn't care less. As long as I got what I asked for and wanted, it didn't bother me what he was getting.

He was clearly doing extremely well out of the deal, but as a young guy, so was I so why be envious.

It all depends on what you want out of life.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
When I say gone, I mean gone from the box(office) I'm sitting in now.

I can literally remember a day when I was happy that I graduated to a large cubicle with a window. I had arrived.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
It all depends on what you want out of life.

There was another thread in which I wrote about the fat, smoking nurse who was in the same place as she was a year prior when I visited my office there.

Some people are fine with that. Some people settle. And capitalism requires it.

I got hammered for pointing out the obvious, but not everyone is going to press on to freedom.

Nicko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Oct 14, 2015
Australia
You can sleep next week. Right now, you have to continue to innovate your freedom.

Because... as you know... nobody... including me or anybody... is watching your back.

You are the only one that can do this. Most people wouldn't even get what we are talking about.

We're taught to believe differently. That's why... the Millionaire Fast Lane.

Control
Entry
Need
Time
Scale

Automation and outsourcing are just CENTS tools.

Well, you will be adding me to that list above soon enough.

There'll be another bleary eyed schmuck (just like me) finally making the connection, and you'll be telling him:

@Nicko last spotted running through the streets of Paris with no pants on, but damn, he's happy !!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Well, you will be adding me to that list above soon enough.

There'l be another bleary eyes schmuck (just like me) finally making the connection, and you'll be telling him:

@Nicko last spotted running through the streets of Paris with no pants on, but damn, he's happy !!

That's exactly why these archived threads and progress threads are so important. Go back to the 1Peter thread. The guy is dead, but what he learned lives on. We can read his thoughts, archived here. Before you take your pants off... you record the road map here and other people who come behind us can discover how you did what you did.

Look at the @biophase ecommerce threads
Look at the @SteveO threads
Look at the @Likwid24 threads
Look at the @ChickenHawk thread
etc...

all breadcrumb maps.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
. Double post

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Work just hard enough not to get fired.
Pay just enough so that they won't quit.

Those are the rules.
SO true. I see it every damned day.

The janitors think the receptionists make too much money.
The receptionists thinks the scrub technicians make too much money.
The scrub technicians think the nurses make too much money.
The nurses think the doctors make too much money.
The doctors think the facility shareholders make too much money.

Envy has no end.
Sadly, this is true as well.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What does that even mean? Capitalism is the best thing to ever happen to the free world.

Of course it is. It simply means that for a functional society like the United States, where everyone has an opportunity to excel, we need someone to be working the subway counter making the sandwiches while someone else drives the ship. It doesn't mean the sandwich artist can't some day become the boss... but in order for this to work, we can't all be the workers, we can't all be the bosses, and we can't all be entrepreneurs. In fact, this structure is one of the only ones where you can significantly outkick the coverage, and break the caste system.

However, I don't want to take this rabbit hole further or MJ will stick us in the penalty box for going political. But you are right, and I am. No matter how @GlobalWealth corrects me. :) He made his money in the same system.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
There was another thread in which I wrote about the fat, smoking nurse who was in the same place as she was a year prior when I visited my office there.

Some people are fine with that. Some people settle. And capitalism requires it.

I got hammered for pointing out the obvious, but not everyone is going to press on to freedom.

Those people do have the freedom of choice, and they still choose the slowlane. However, one small thing that did bother me about the book and to a certain extent is the negativity associated with traditional employment. Some people do that, and live very rich and happy lives.

Nicko

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Oct 14, 2015
Australia
That's exactly why these archived threads and progress threads are so important. Go back to the 1Peter thread. The guy is dead, but what he learned lives on. We can read his thoughts, archived here. Before you take your pants off... you record the road map here and other people who come behind us can discover how you did what you did.

Look at the @biophase ecommerce threads
Look at the @SteveO threads
Look at the @Likwid24 threads
Look at the @ChickenHawk thread
etc...

all breadcrumb maps.

I've got a bit of reading to do, but again, that's why I came here.

And thank you for the discussion and the $$$

Funny thing, when I woke up at (about 2:00 am) and read your post about 70% of employees being unhappy, I was feeling a tad defensive and was all set to throw down some cranky.

But I've absorbed and understood what you were saying (the coffee helped), and I'm confident I'm going to get a lot out of engaging with the members here.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Those people do have the freedom of choice, and they still choose the slowlane. However, one small thing that did bother me about the book and to a certain extent is the negativity associated with traditional employment. Some people do that, and live very rich and happy lives.

Yeah, it's not for everyone. That's consistent with my point. Not everyone can pass through the eye of the needle, although MJ made the opening much larger. Some people are content to just be the workers. That's OK. Totally cool for them. No judgment necessary. There's more out there to find, but not everyone will find it. And that's what I mean when I say that the world still needs ditch diggers, also.

However, to be intellectually honest, you must pair that with surveys that tell us that 70% of people are NOT content with their lot in life, or their job/whatever. So as much as we like to raise a defense for the wall flowers, contentment with status quo does not represent the majority.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I've got a bit of reading to do, but again, that's why I came here.

And thank you for the discussion and the $$$

Funny thing, when I woke up at (about 2:00 am) and read your post about 70% of employees being unhappy, I was feeling a tad defensive and was all set to throw down some cranky.

But I've absorbed and understood what you were saying (the coffee helped), and I'm confident I'm going to get a lot out of engaging with the members here.

http://www.ryot.org/gallup-poll-70-americans-disengaged-jobs/376177

Just so you know I didn't just pull it right out of my a$$:

In Gallup’s 2013 State of the American Workplace study, 70 percent of those who participated described themselves as “disengaged” from their work.

As often as I threw that statistic out there in this thread, thank God when I went back to find the survey at least the % was what I remembered. :)

ToniLene

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 9, 2015
Of course it is. It simply means that for a functional society like the United States, where everyone has an opportunity to excel, we need someone to be working the subway counter making the sandwiches while someone else drives the ship. It doesn't mean the sandwich artist can't some day become the boss... but in order for this to work, we can't all be the workers, we can't all be the bosses, and we can't all be entrepreneurs. In fact, this structure is one of the only ones where you can significantly outkick the coverage, and break the caste system.

However, I don't want to take this rabbit hole further or MJ will stick us in the penalty box for going political. But you are right, and I am. No matter how @GlobalWealth corrects me. :) He made his money in the same system.

Ideally, that "sandwich artist" would be in high school or college, just entering the workforce --which is who those type of entry level, minimum wage jobs were created for. The great thing about Capitalism is that you are FREE to leave for greener pastures. No one is forcing you to work at Subway(or its equivalent).

We all make choices in life and those choices can lead you towards financial freedom or your choices can keep you stuck in a cycle of poverty. I have a love/hate relationship with Oprah Winfrey, but she is a great example of how you can come from absolutely nothing, sleeping on the floor as a child to a Billionaire Media Mogul. It's all about how you choose to define yourself and the work you're willing to put in, that is Capitalism.

Last edited:

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia

I made more money out of the system. I made money in "your" system despite the enormous problems. Entrepreneurs find problems and solve them. Sometimes you must overcome hurdles like stupid govts and broken "systems". Sometimes like @Russ alsways tells me "you just take advantage of the stupidity of the system".

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I'm getting very, very rich reading all this Gold ! I love it ! Thank you !

Hey @Vigilante , so when I read about some company where the owner and/or employees are raving about how they love working at blank...that the 'freedom' is great, the money is good, and they love who they work with...are they just blowing smoke ? Do they gain something by saying these things ?

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
They make the best employees

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
http://www.ryot.org/gallup-poll-70-americans-disengaged-jobs/376177

Just so you know I didn't just pull it right out of my a$$:

In Gallup’s 2013 State of the American Workplace study, 70 percent of those who participated described themselves as “disengaged” from their work.

As often as I threw that statistic out there in this thread, thank God when I went back to find the survey at least the % was what I remembered. :)

Yep, I read that. I think it was on HN that someone theorized it's partially because we've gone from work that challenging and impactful to work that's mostly throwaway. Where I currently work, I see this quite a bit, people do tasks not because they will add real value, but because of some arbitrary policy.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I made more money out of the system. I made money in "your" system despite the enormous problems. Entrepreneurs find problems and solve them. Sometimes you must overcome hurdles like stupid govts and broken "systems". Sometimes like @Russ alsways tells me "you just take advantage of the stupidity of the system".

mmmmmhmmmmmm

not going to engage, but I agree with some of your sentiments.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.