The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Clarifying my purpose, goals, direction

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
Hi all,

I'll try to keep this concise as possible. After coming on fastlane, my brain is like on crack - wheels constantly spinning

I was wondering if I could get some advice? My initial goal was to make extra dough to pay off my student loans.

I am 31 and work in IT for 4 years. My passion is music, playing guitar since 12. I came up these goals past weekend (some are personal not sure I should include them here):

1. pay off 26k student loan debt asap.
2. record an album, work on my guitar playing
3. get two more IT certifications by August.
4. Errr ill leave that out for now.
5. Try to free myself from 9-5, long term, fund my music goals and have financial freedom and success.

#1 is most important. #2, #3 is related to #1 - if i spend too much time on #1 there is no time for #2 which is important. #3 is a nice to have, although it could increase my earning potential (maybe, by 5-10k tops in a new job), it would still be slowlane.

Which brings me to some ideas I have and Im not sure where to put my focus. I keep zipping back and forth mentally every time i read these success stories. I feel unclear. Some ideas i have:

Short term money generating ideas (i need to generate an extra 1200$ per month, or $36/day till september 2019 and my debt would be cleared, i am paying 1k currently a month):

- uber, but would have to swap my 07 golf for something newer than due to uber restrictions. Its possible if i swap for a cheaper but newer car of different make.
- arbitrage - ive tried this but i find time cost very high for low reward, inconsistent
- amazon fba PL, merch by amazon (not as quick as above)

Longer term money ideas:
- shopify e-commerce, amazon fba - i have a few ideas for products but would need to do more research
- fox web design company idea - amazing, but not sure if i want to spend more time doing code
- real estate investment - not at that level right now.
- product development, i have an idea for a product that i have not seen marketed exactly, its simple but i feel highly useful. A few friends think its a good idea. I have done some minimum research.

Any suggestions? I feel i am stretching myself too thin. Thanks.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Hi all,

I'll try to keep this concise as possible. After coming on fastlane, my brain is like on crack - wheels constantly spinning

I was wondering if I could get some advice? My initial goal was to make extra dough to pay off my student loans.

I am 31 and work in IT for 4 years. My passion is music, playing guitar since 12. I came up these goals past weekend (some are personal not sure I should include them here):

1. pay off 26k student loan debt asap.
2. record an album, work on my guitar playing
3. get two more IT certifications by August.
4. Errr ill leave that out for now.
5. Try to free myself from 9-5, long term, fund my music goals and have financial freedom and success.

#1 is most important. #2, #3 is related to #1 - if i spend too much time on #1 there is no time for #2 which is important. #3 is a nice to have, although it could increase my earning potential (maybe, by 5-10k tops in a new job), it would still be slowlane.

Which brings me to some ideas I have and Im not sure where to put my focus. I keep zipping back and forth mentally every time i read these success stories. I feel unclear. Some ideas i have:

Short term money generating ideas (i need to generate an extra 1200$ per month, or $36/day till september 2019 and my debt would be cleared, i am paying 1k currently a month):

- uber, but would have to swap my 07 golf for something newer than due to uber restrictions. Its possible if i swap for a cheaper but newer car of different make.
- arbitrage - ive tried this but i find time cost very high for low reward, inconsistent
- amazon fba PL, merch by amazon (not as quick as above)

Longer term money ideas:
- shopify e-commerce, amazon fba - i have a few ideas for products but would need to do more research
- fox web design company idea - amazing, but not sure if i want to spend more time doing code
- real estate investment - not at that level right now.
- product development, i have an idea for a product that i have not seen marketed exactly, its simple but i feel highly useful. A few friends think its a good idea. I have done some minimum research.

Any suggestions? I feel i am stretching myself too thin. Thanks.

Hi,
It is pretty interesting goal setting. If you asked for suggestions, if I were you...:
(This is what I am actually doing) I would pick only one of all those objectives for a simple reason: there's almost always a clear hierarchy, which means if you perform in an excellent way the most important of the objectives, it will be guarranteed that you achieve the other ones more easily. If you think about it, it resembles a lot with the 80/20% Rule.

Of course, if time and patience is not your problem, you can spare them in your free time, so you feel more productive. I like speed more than anything else, and doing the one right thing is the perfect way to do it. For me, that thing was money. Achieving that, I could 'upgrade my life' as much as I want, which includes reducing time that is needed to complete the other objectives. (Productivity boost)

Long story short, I disabled all my interests and focused in only that thing.

Regarding to sources of income, I have started an FBA bussiness (started, made no money yet, inventory has just arrived a few days ago)....
IF you have at least 1000USD,
I recomend you starting it too. Regarding to my recent experience, it is something very quick to learn (and easy if you know how to learn effectively) and, of course, about 90% passive. 1000$ and Less than 20hours of work are needed to begin, and the process to succeed is also a simple to-do list: Find products -> Contact Manufacturer -> Create a Listing -> Selling (PPC Ads, Reviews Exchange, Giveaways...)

If you haven't, you can earn them with arbitrage as I did. It's not to hard, the more products you advertise, the more frecuently they will buy.

Everything I learned was from Youtube and Tanner J. Fox and 7 Figure Machines Course. (If you do not want to buy it, you can simply consume less than 30% of content and request a refund).

Oh, for Long Term income streams, building trust and a personal brand with social media is strongly recommended.
Also, when tlaking about long term goals, you may become an outlier as a student so one day you can make a bussiness from your carrier. Specially if you are been taugh technical info or something simmilar, the entry barrier will be high enough to have no competition problems.

Ok, you have caught me inspired today :) . I will give you further information.

Having Money issues covered, let's dive on goal setting (because I know you can improve a lot by following this steps). Let me introduce you the OKR sistem, Objetive Key Result.
You can learn more about it if you google it. Also the is a profesional app/website designed for that and, surprisingly, it's Free: Weekdone Weekly Planning + Quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKR)

OKR system is commonly used by Google and the leading large companies. But there's more: elite athletes and musicians also use this technique to become unstopable. Let's begin the mini-tutorial :).

What I am about to explain you is the step by step strategy:
How to set up an OBJETIVE? It's very important that...:
-The Objetive is achievable in this time interval [1month-3months]
-The Objetive has NO numbers in its title.
As an objetive is synonym to a destiny, no numbers should appear on it. Examples: Lifting more weight, getting the best grades, make as much money as you can, ...

Imagine you want to travel somewhere by car. The objetive is the destiny while the signs that appear in the road are the KeyResults.

You have to right KeyResults right below your objetives.

How do you set up Key Results? (This means, How do you know you are on the right path?)
-Include a number in it
-Include a % in it
-Include a Yes/No Question

You can use a mix of them or just using one of them. What matters is that those keyresults are Needed for that goal. Always have 3-5 KeyResults.

Example: How do I know that I will get the best grades?
KR1: Getting at least 7/10 in each exam
KR2: Doing the 100% of all paperwork and Research Tasks
KR3: Showing up in class everyday

And this is how you guide yourself everyday to make sure you are making progress. Ah, under each KeyResult, you can write down the speciffic action that will lead you to get that KeyResult (Ex:Studying 2h).

Doing this everyday wll help you, if not guarrantee you a high chance to succeed in the Objetives. Of course, nothing matters unless you know exactly your reasons to put your effort in each of those objetives, those are, your priorities. I think I've helped you enough so far.

This information is taken from a Spanish researcher that has the most recent data from New York University, and I learn from him in Youtube (Vic Blaz). Use this!!

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
Hi,
It is pretty interesting goal setting. If you asked for suggestions, if I were you...:
(This is what I am actually doing) I would pick only one of all those objectives for a simple reason: there's almost always a clear hierarchy, which means if you perform in an excellent way the most important of the objectives, it will be guarranteed that you achieve the other ones more easily. If you think about it, it resembles a lot with the 80/20% Rule.

Of course, if time and patience is not your problem, you can spare them in your free time, so you feel more productive. I like speed more than anything else, and doing the one right thing is the perfect way to do it. For me, that thing was money. Achieving that, I could 'upgrade my life' as much as I want, which includes reducing time that is needed to complete the other objectives. (Productivity boost)

Regarding to sources of income, I have started an FBA bussiness (started, made no money yet, inventory has just arrived a few days ago)....
I recomend you starting it too. Regarding to my recent experience, it is something very quick to learn (and easy if you know how to learn effectively) and, of course, about 90% passive. 1000$ and Less than 20hours of work are needed to begin, and the process to succeed is also a simple to-do list: Find products -> Contact Manufacturer -> Create a Listing -> Selling (PPC Ads, Reviews Exchange, Giveaways...)

If you haven't, you can earn them with arbitrage as I did. It's not to hard, the more products you advertise, the more frecuently they will buy.

Everything I learned was from Youtube and Tanner J. Fox and 7 Figure Machines Course. (If you do not want to buy it, you can simply consume less than 30% of content and request a refund).

Oh, for Long Term income streams, building trust and a personal brand with social media is strongly recommended.
Also, when tlaking about long term goals, you may become an outlier as a student so one day you can make a bussiness from your carrier. Specially if you are been taugh technical info or something simmilar, the entry barrier will be high enough to have no competition problems.

Having Money issues covered, let's dive on goal setting (because I know you can improve a lot by following this steps). Let me introduce you the OKR sistem, Objetive Key Result.
You can learn more about it if you google it. Also the is a profesional app/website designed for that and, surprisingly, it's Free: Weekdone Weekly Planning + Quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKR)

OKR system is commonly used by Google and the leading large companies. But there's more: elite athletes and musicians also use this technique to become unstopable. Let's begin the mini-tutorial :).

As an objetive is synonym to a destiny, no numbers should appear on it. Examples: Lifting more weight, getting the best grades, make as much money as you can, ...

Imagine you want to travel somewhere by car. The objetive is the destiny while the signs that appear in the road are the KeyResults.

How do you set up Key Results? (This means, How do you know you are on the right path?)
-Include a number in it
-Include a % in it

You can use a mix of them or just using one of them. What matters is that those keyresults are Needed for that goal. Always have 3-5 KeyResults.

And this is how you guide yourself everyday to make sure you are making progress. Ah, under each KeyResult, you can write down the speciffic action that will lead you to get that KeyResult (Ex:Studying 2h).

Doing this everyday wll help you, if not guarrantee you a high chance to succeed in the Objetives. Of course, nothing matters unless you know exactly your reasons to put your effort in each of those objetives, those are, your priorities. I think I've helped you enough so far.

This information is taken from a Spanish researcher that has the most recent data from New York University, and I learn from him in Youtube (Vic Blaz). Use this!!
Hi i just wanted to thank you for the wonderful post, i will try OKR.

The way i wrote my goals now, was i made a simple plan setting all four or five for completion by september, but even then time is short.

I am attached to the music goal, and certification goal, and business goal. I want all three. But i also agree focusing on one may be better, and finish it as quick as possible. Ugh...hmmm

I am interested in FBA, i tried arbitrage but using retail stores in canada was not effective i wasted my time looking for products. For finding a product + FBA doing PL, i should be incorporated first for suppliers or manufacturers to take me seriously?

I work in IT, i have money saved up, about 5K. I can definitely spend 1 or 2k on a product.

I will check the course you sent, thank you very much!!! I may start a progress execution thread.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
Hi,

-Include a number in it
-Include a % in it

thank you! to follow up on this as an example, what do you think?

Objective: Launch a successful product via Amazon FBA

KKR1: Make $3000 revenue in sales/month after the launch
- action 1: chose a product that sells between $20-50 dollars (i.e. $30)
- action 2: sell ~90 items of those a month, or 3/day.

KKR2: Keep a 30% profit margin
- action 1: find a product that can be bought in bulk and shipped all costs in at, 10$/piece
- action 2: double check the fees amazon will take, should not be more than $10/piece
- action 3: ensure no other hidden costs

KKR3: Is the customer satisfied?
- action 1: check reviews of competitors, see if the product can be improved before launch
- action 2: prompt follow up with customers upon sales
- action 3: after sales, read my own reviews to see if the customer is satisfied, improve on future iterations.

HIPPYOWL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Aug 5, 2017
Los Angeles CA
Have you considered flipping items on Az to help pay off debt? It requires capital but and you can utilize fba while you're at your day job.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
im
Have you considered flipping items on Az to help pay off debt? It requires capital but and you can utilize fba while you're at your day job.
actually researching this like crazy right now, i got a jungle scout membership and trying to find a product i'd want to sell.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
thank you! to follow up on this as an example, what do you think?

Objective: Launch a successful product via Amazon FBA

KKR1: Make $3000 revenue in sales/month after the launch
- action 1: chose a product that sells between $20-50 dollars (i.e. $30)
- action 2: sell ~90 items of those a month, or 3/day.

KKR2: Keep a 30% profit margin
- action 1: find a product that can be bought in bulk and shipped all costs in at, 10$/piece
- action 2: double check the fees amazon will take, should not be more than $10/piece
- action 3: ensure no other hidden costs

KKR3: Is the customer satisfied?
- action 1: check reviews of competitors, see if the product can be improved before launch
- action 2: prompt follow up with customers upon sales
- action 3: after sales, read my own reviews to see if the customer is satisfied, improve on future iterations.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
im

actually researching this like crazy right now, i got a jungle scout membership and trying to find a product i'd want to sell.
Hey, I'm here again!
Yeah, it's been a while, almost like travelling to another planet and back. I'm here to reply those questions you had. And hopefully you can share with us the progress who have just made!

So let's start ith what I think that will impact your life the most: money -> freedom. It's just what it is. Money is the only limitation to become Limitless (yes, like in the movie). I see you are now with FBA.

Long story short. I started with 1K and I am about to make it. If you have +3K$ and a good mentor or info-course, you will have no problem to make it and scaling that business (which is very easy once your product sells). Don't buy a course. I've done it and absolutely all the info is in YT for free (so I asked for refund). Or you can ask me whatever you need to know about it. I have already have that info.

Concerning to the OKR's now. Overall, you are following exactly that script. You should be doing it fine with it. But there's one more idea that I want to share you that could turn your goals into something more speciffic (the Objetive itself).

What I mean is: what does getting a successful product mean to you?

I don't know if I commented in that thread that it's important to be 100% clear with your why. You could write it down write below your last KeyResult or including it in the objetive title.

And in order to making it clearer to you, I'll simply show you a few examples about this:
Objetive: Make enough money with an FBA product so I could get a new appartment / start a second product / improving the lifestyle being able to achieve X / and so on.

As you can see, you are not including a number. It could feel like that, but in reality you are including a vision, a reason.

It turns into something really easy if you reverse-engineer your ultimate goals. Let's say your ultimate goal is called '9'. So the previous steps you have to identify to reach '9' are '8', '7', '6'... And all these numbers are objetives depending on their priority. And objetive called '0' would be something in that you could achieve in the next 1-3 months, just as you have designed.

And the reason to do '0' is '1'. I think you are getting my point.
Then the main thing I could improve about that would be the Purpose.
Concerning to Amazon, I'll be here to answer all questions.

I hope this has been useful for you. Take care!

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
I like speed more than anything else, and doing the one right thing is the perfect way to do it. For me, that thing was money. Achieving that, I could 'upgrade my life' as much as I want, which includes reducing time that is needed to complete the other objectives. (Productivity boost)

Man, I am about to do that step, too. Was there a process behind the "disabling" or you just woke up and said: "Off"?

Also regarding the FBA, you seem to be very happy with it. How do you view this business longterm?
How would you evaluate it in terms of the CENTS framework?

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Man, I am about to do that step, too. Was there a process behind the "disabling" or you just woke up and said: "Off"?

Also regarding the FBA, you seem to be very happy with it. How do you view this business longterm?
How would you evaluate it in terms of the CENTS framework?
Hey, you seem interested in this topic. I wrote only one post with my profile which you should check as it answers you that question (how to shift to that one thing).

Concerning to FBA, it seems to have a lot of potencial, but being a begginner is as frustrating as hell. Basically because of that you don't know yet how to avoid basic things such as getting your account blocked for months, getting your listing restricted, using ads without throwing away cash and tons of one-time setbacks.

But you know. There a point when you no longer care about that as long as it eventually works, because it worths it.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
How many more years in IT are you planning? Are you sure you need those certifications?

If music is your passion, are you practicing daily, and do you have a good teacher? I wouldn't compromise on that if you are serious, better take more time paying off your loan. Also, how long would it take to try and record and album? Will you hate yourself if you really get into entrepreneurship, but ultimately forget about music?

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
hi everyone,

wow, i just wanted to thank you all for your responses. i took a break from the book and the forum, because i realize it was making me feel a lot of pressure and kind of 'shitty' about my life. i felt very dissatisfied. sometimes it is important to be thankful. humans are never satisfied. satisfaction must come from being content but also wanting to improve.

but that is not about the book or forum, just me putting too much pressure on myself. i dont agree with everything in the book, but i understand a lot of what MJ says. and every one's idea of wealth is different.

i had a bit difficult past 6 months, i got sidetracked too much with dating :| and i was going out with this girl that was making me feel miserable which i ended. i stopped dating, and im back on track.

i also had a reoccurring infection that i got from like 6 or 7 years ago, so i was sick for about 2 months, im still recovering :(.

but in this time, i realized, i want to focus on my music more. the post you gave me fierceracoon, its something i know, but don't do - which is working on my music everyday. thanks for that post seriously, it reminded me that i created this account on this forum, for a reason.

i lack discipline, and i think a large part of it comes from lack of self-belief and also procrastination/execution.

things I stopped:
- FBA
- entreprenurship

I wouldn't say i stopped FBA/entrepreneurship completely. its more of a plan C. i have ideas in my mind, but i realized, everyone is created to do something on Earth. I dont know what it is for me, but all i know is i love music and i have already wasted my 20s and so much time and talent doing other things to make other people happy.

part of the reason i stopped looking/doing FBA was mainly because i was just trying to do too much stuff, and i got overwhelmed. as the previous poster said, easier to focus on one (or fewer stuff).

so, here is where i am currently.

progress past 6 months (sloooow progress ...):
- my debt is cleared, but not exactly on my own merit. my mom offered to pay my student loan off. it was at about 22k, and i was refusing the payment, finally, i decided if she wants to pay, it's fine. i got her account number so i could pay her back, but she didn't want me to. im still wanting to pay her back, although she doesn't need the money, i just dont want a 'handout'. i will pay her back eventually, maybe not right now.
- now i have 10k saved up.
- i bought parts for a computer about 2 months ago, i still have to build this computer (feel a bit overwhelmed and im wasting time NOT building it), this is a computer for my music studio.
- i have another piece of music gear i bought to work on sampling vinyls.
- i bought three books on jazz guitar.
- i did learn about 1 minute of a jazz song that i love, although i didn't practice consistently after that
- i worked on the lyrics for one song i have written, which is basically complete.
- i started reading a book called 'millionaire teacher' and am listening to some investing podcasts.

goals:
- i saw a financial advisor at the bank, to invest the money i have saved up. i will probably put it into mutual funds. i know that MJ considers it slowlane, but i am okay with that. at least the money will be doing something than not.
- i love driving, and i need a more social life, i spend too much time alone and it affects my mental health. im probably going to swap my current car for something sportier, without dipping into my savings too much. i think having something i enjoy driving will allow me to join some car clubs which will be fun.

- most importantly, there is a particular song i worked on mentioned above, i really need to record it.
- put my computer together, and put the vinyl sampler in place
- work on the books i bought for jazz guitar, there is a lot of music theory i really want to learn.
- record some cover videos for youtube.
- upload some of my beats, and sell them online (there are some sites you can sell hip hop type beats on)
- i would like to complete the album, but i just feel so far away from it at this point, and overwhelmed.

one of the common threads i found here, is this feeling of being overwhelmed and inability to start because of feeling overwhelmed. i haven't figured a way around it, although i saw this video, which helped. i might get the book its one of tony robbins earlier books....

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
hi everyone,

wow, i just wanted to thank you all for your responses. i took a break from the book and the forum, because i realize it was making me feel a lot of pressure and kind of 'shitty' about my life. i felt very dissatisfied. sometimes it is important to be thankful. humans are never satisfied. satisfaction must come from being content but also wanting to improve.

but that is not about the book or forum, just me putting too much pressure on myself. i dont agree with everything in the book, but i understand a lot of what MJ says. and every one's idea of wealth is different.

i had a bit difficult past 6 months, i got sidetracked too much with dating :| and i was going out with this girl that was making me feel miserable which i ended. i stopped dating, and im back on track.

i also had a reoccurring infection that i got from like 6 or 7 years ago, so i was sick for about 2 months, im still recovering :(.

but in this time, i realized, i want to focus on my music more. the post you gave me fierceracoon, its something i know, but don't do - which is working on my music everyday. thanks for that post seriously, it reminded me that i created this account on this forum, for a reason.

i lack discipline, and i think a large part of it comes from lack of self-belief and also procrastination/execution.

things I stopped:
- FBA
- entreprenurship

I wouldn't say i stopped FBA/entrepreneurship completely. its more of a plan C. i have ideas in my mind, but i realized, everyone is created to do something on Earth. I dont know what it is for me, but all i know is i love music and i have already wasted my 20s and so much time and talent doing other things to make other people happy.

part of the reason i stopped looking/doing FBA was mainly because i was just trying to do too much stuff, and i got overwhelmed. as the previous poster said, easier to focus on one (or fewer stuff).

so, here is where i am currently.

progress past 6 months (sloooow progress ...):
- my debt is cleared, but not exactly on my own merit. my mom offered to pay my student loan off. it was at about 22k, and i was refusing the payment, finally, i decided if she wants to pay, it's fine. i got her account number so i could pay her back, but she didn't want me to. im still wanting to pay her back, although she doesn't need the money, i just dont want a 'handout'. i will pay her back eventually, maybe not right now.
- now i have 10k saved up.
- i bought parts for a computer about 2 months ago, i still have to build this computer (feel a bit overwhelmed and im wasting time NOT building it), this is a computer for my music studio.
- i have another piece of music gear i bought to work on sampling vinyls.
- i bought three books on jazz guitar.
- i did learn about 1 minute of a jazz song that i love, although i didn't practice consistently after that
- i worked on the lyrics for one song i have written, which is basically complete.
- i started reading a book called 'millionaire teacher' and am listening to some investing podcasts.

goals:
- i saw a financial advisor at the bank, to invest the money i have saved up. i will probably put it into mutual funds. i know that MJ considers it slowlane, but i am okay with that. at least the money will be doing something than not.
- i love driving, and i need a more social life, i spend too much time alone and it affects my mental health. im probably going to swap my current car for something sportier, without dipping into my savings too much. i think having something i enjoy driving will allow me to join some car clubs which will be fun.

- most importantly, there is a particular song i worked on mentioned above, i really need to record it.
- put my computer together, and put the vinyl sampler in place
- work on the books i bought for jazz guitar, there is a lot of music theory i really want to learn.
- record some cover videos for youtube.
- upload some of my beats, and sell them online (there are some sites you can sell hip hop type beats on)
- i would like to complete the album, but i just feel so far away from it at this point, and overwhelmed.

one of the common threads i found here, is this feeling of being overwhelmed and inability to start because of feeling overwhelmed. i haven't figured a way around it, although i saw this video, which helped. i might get the book its one of tony robbins earlier books....
hi everyone, been literally almost 3 years since ive been here.

i ended up having a crazy 2020...like everyone else. company was bought out, i suffered traumatic headaches, and moved back home to the west coast. it was a crazy time but also kinda sad 3 years has passed so quick.

i decided to narrow my focus though, in that time, to my music. i dont know if music is fastlane or slowlane, but ive been circling back what i read in MJ's book a few years ago, i feel a bit lost but less lost still...at least.

i decided to focus more on music - i didnt take a teacher as someone else said, ive been writing songs since i was 12. i did finish working on my music computer/set-up, but i wasn't making as much progress with recording. i wrote about 4 songs so far (and multiple snippets of others), and on the advice of my ex-gf, decided to go to a professional studio - to at least record my guitar and vocal tracks.

this was a good idea because it was getting very stressful having to engineer everything on my own, so i took a song about 50 complete minus vocals and guitars, and the engineer helped me track my vocals.

so i am like 80% done my first song which i am to put on an ep. in 3 years i wish i could have made more progress, which brings me to the next point.

my current IT job although pays decent (around 80k CAD) - is sucking and killing my soul. i feel like i dont have enough time to work on my music and i just dont know what to do.

i need money to go to the studio, but i need time to work on my music, i feel stuck. i also realized after much self-reflection, that most of my life ive been trying to make other people happy instead of myself.

even corporate office jobs, was never my dream working for some bleeping company, although im thankful i have a job. but it was never my passion...i feel the best hours of my day are getting sucked.

as a concrete example - the most progress i made on my music, was about 1 month before i started my current job. i had time off, and after much mental + health issues, finally took a break from music, did some work on my car (autobody painting and fixing rust on my car to get my mind to do something completely different)...working with my hands was therapeutic.

it was after working on my car, that i went back to my music, and worked on the song that is now almost complete. i did it in almost 1 week...but then, once i started my new job - its been like 5 months and only now im almost done. its just been way to slow.

i have music on my mind constantly, since i was 12 years old, and im 35 now. its clear my passion isn't going anywhere, at this point ive given up on trying to be famous, i just want to make good songs i am proud of and im getting closer to my goal but i just need more time during the day.

i dont know what to do. i realized also, all my anxiety around 'the working world', having trouble with coworkers/colleagues, etc etc...alot of it is my personality. im sometimes too nice, but also, i realized, i HATE other people controlling my time, and it comes out in certain ways (for example, im nearly always 'late' to work)...

im considering taking guitar lessons now (i honestly dont need them because i can write a song no problem but of course i always want to get better), from a professional well known jazz guitarist - moreso just for the advice...

the music im currently making for this EP is like what im calling 'new-new-wave'...kinda 80s-ish but still different with instruments and actual sections to songs...ya know? anyway, i would like to keep a journal of all my progress, not sure this is the place for it.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
How many more years in IT are you planning? Are you sure you need those certifications?

If music is your passion, are you practicing daily, and do you have a good teacher? I wouldn't compromise on that if you are serious, better take more time paying off your loan. Also, how long would it take to try and record and album? Will you hate yourself if you really get into entrepreneurship, but ultimately forget about music?
thanks for replying some time ago...
i play everyday, its been slow progress but i finally started working on an EP and im almost done my first song. my current issue is my corporate IT job is sucking my time but i kind of need the money for studio time.

Regarding what you said re:hating myself... i think i would just feel very very frustrated with myself, yes i would probably hate myself.

i mean just holding a day job makes me feel very conflicted inside but yet i keep holding myself back for some reason...its a catch 22. i need day job to pay for music but need my day time to make music.

Greg suggested using IT skills on my own terms. ive though what that could mean. most IT companies especially startups are a total time suck. maybe the only way to do IT on my own terms is being a freelancer - but im not sure if im good enough for that i have like 6-7 years of general experience and im not a programmer (but i know how to script).

i know i like learning new stuff, and i like working alone. but i do hate working in front of a computer all day then working on my music in front of a computer for long periods, my body just aches when i do that and i also suffer from blinding migraines where i cant see for 45mins to 1 hour (they are a rare form of migraine).

if im not careful with my light/dark time they get triggered and its sent me into nervous breakdowns before, because i cant see, it gets very stressful.

so i thought for some time, what if i start teaching myself to program an android app? i am creative, i like making things and it would be fun. i have a few ideas.

the problem again is it will suck from my music creation time...but, if im going to spend 8 hours working for someone else, i'd rather work 8 hours trying to teach myself something that can possibly allow me to have my own gig which would fund the music..i dont know man.

when i look at highly successful people whether musicians, artists, NBA players, they all dedicate their time to their craft 100% and just go for it.

so this is where im conflicted; i want to be responsible; but i wonder if having a backup-plan is causing me to fail/put less effort into my music.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
fast forward to 2023...reflecting on what this thread started as 5? years ago.

the bad news:
- its kind of sad really - my internal self talk is still unhealthy - i feel mentally and emotionally in the same place (maybe a little better) than 5 years ago. i haven't accomplished what i wanted to, and still struggle from feeling overwhelmed - but im acutely self-aware of it. i dont want to wallow in self pity but it is what it is. i feel sad for my soul i havent been able to do what i wanted. i need to work on this. maybe this should be my real priority. if i dont wrap my head tight and get clear on shit, ill be struggling mentally in another 5 years. if i don't 'jump' and take more risks ill be in the same shit.
- ive been trying to 'do' this music thing for almost 18 years (since i was 18) and i've nothing to show for it. not even 1 f***ing album. it's ridiculous.
- after the pandemic (2020) i got a GOV't IT job. it's not bad, but some of my colleagues are toxic. gives me money for music gear.
- never started my youtube channel yet or did videos, never finished the covers i said i would.
- didn't finish my album, or the 1 song song i've worked on for over a year although, it's almost done..................but still, it's not f***ing done.
- still struggling with some semblance of a computer addiction, but it's much better. in fact my only real struggle is once every few weeks, staying up late at night out of frustration...i've locked my computer down so tight to the point i put locked keys on my PC case, haha.

the good news:
- moved back to the west coast and living with my mom. this is good and i feel better. i also do small projects with my hands like working on my car. i find this therapeutic.
- i decided to try doing some side hustle. right now im trying FBA with a friend. the reality is that my day job is sucking my soul, and I really need something flexible and ideally, remote, all the time, that is not 9-to-5. i need time for my art, man. that or i need to get a job completely not related to IT, that is easy and not stressful.
- . im probably way too late to the game, but i think i have a niche. well, @MaxKhalus you spoke of FBA some time ago, did you ever get anywhere with it? now, me and an old contact of mine are going to try and sell some small items on Amazon, he is shipping them to me from another country. and i will send them to Amazon.
- i almost finished 1 song (bad news is it is not finished).
- i contacted (finally swallowed my pride) a jazz guitar teacher, i will probably take some lessons soon. I also really need a singing teacher, so he recommended me someone. if i could sing, play piano better and even do drums...i wouldn't need anybody.

THAT being said. i was going to a studio a lot last year, which was costing $. the engineer thought i was crazy because he said i knew everything i wanted and how to do it...but i told him i needed to save my eyes because of the screen time...

so, i almost finished 1 song for my album, in 5 years. it's like 90% there - i just need to finish one last part, but what happens? ive just been procrastinating like crazy. its like im avoiding finishing it. fear of failure, perfectionism, is all i can think of. but im proud of the song or what it is so far.

i feel like i really need to work on my inner mental game. i feel an insane hunger/desperation for the last 18 years, but i also feel paralyzed to take a full gamble on myself. now that i am older...im worried im getting too old.

i feel like this is my last chance for music. i am 35 and 36 soon.

when i was growing up, my family REALLY wanted me to be a doctor...but i couldn't do it, i didn't have the interest. i thought i could please them, but music was too powerful on my soul and i still dream of it always... i attached some example of my guitar style/musical style here, but i make different genres...all revolving around pop/rock. the difference now is, i can sing a little bit, enough to fit some of my songs.

Last edited:

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
updates:

- after almost 1 decade, i reunited with my old drummer and we started hashing out some old songs i was working on with him. we're planning to go to the studio and record in a few months, so this helps me focus in a little more on my music and cut the cra*.
- i think someone else said in the above posts, 'how would i feel if i didnt do my music' and its as it always is, feel like utter crap not doing it - and then when i have time, i procrastinate like crazy.
- i feel like this is my damn mission right now to finish this album. which means i might have to quit or do some sort of freelance work (considering Fox Legend program but its more screentime)
- was reading some threads here by Andy Black, and also MJ's YT video regarding specialized skill vs specialized unit.
- i realized i sell myself short easily, not sure why. i have many specialized skills, IT, but most importantly music. although guitar is my strength, i have a ton of 'scratch beats' ill never use for my own albums, and i was thinking - why dont i slam them on youtube, build my youtube channel anyway for when my album is ready to release, and sell some of these beats on a personal website? theres sites like beatstars but i think i'd like some more organic traffic. i have literally nothing to lose by posting them on a personal website. literally nothing. these beats have been sitting on my computer hard drive collecting digital dust.
- i also could do mixing and mastering - although, i am not too sure right now i want to focus or do that, but i can easily freelance that somehow.
- i taught myself how to spray paint automotive and do body work - i actually find this work extremely therapeutic. doing this sort of work away from the computer actually makes my mind more calm and im more musically creative.
- i have a very unique idea for a podcast that could help grow my yt channel for when i release my music.
- i considered Fox' Legend program - although at this point we'll see. the biz skills are probably worth it for my own music stuff anyway, but i gotta be careful where i spend my time rn.

my main priority really is working/finish my album and working on my voice/keyboard/guitar skills. i really should just focus on this, build YT channel, possibly podcast, and cut the other crap - save for what i may need to do to put food on the table..

i was thinking, songs are specialized units really, and my specialized skill is making songs. i believe in my musical abilities, its a matter of focusing on it for a year or two.

i have like 20k saved up and my rent is cheap right now. i may take some time off but until then ill save a little more, and try to see if i can build some small side incomes.

there was another thread i read by MJ - pro b-ball players don't become pro v-ball players. its true, and i know this from watching UFC and Boxing. these guys dedicate their lives to their craft.

the only reason i didn't dedicate mine to music, is simple: fear & $. this is a deeper subject but ill save it here for now...

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
updates/thoughts:

- i finally opened the DAW and started working on the song again (the song i started last year that i still havent finished). i did some mixing, but have been a little stuck on the guitar parts i need for the remaining sections...ill come back to it.
- trying to clean up my YT diet. ive been watching too many YT videos, consuming. theres lots of useful knowledge but it can be a time suck. Andy Black asked me a question 'how have you helped anyone' and i knew that question was coming, so i MUST upload something that i feel will benefit SOMEONE... i know what topic i am going to upload.
- frustrated with my slowlane job in IT, ive been wanting to quit for months, so i could focus more on my music/spend my best hours on that. i hate office politics...
- the reality is my music won't pay the bills right now, and i need something else to pay the bills if i was to quit. i was thinking about trying Fox's program for some time (but it would involve too more screen time), pressure washing, or rim repair, or uploading some of my songs, but can't quite decide on anything. i over think everything....to the point of paralysis by analysis.
- im also deeply afraid of doing door to door type sales, that kinda would be difficult against my personality. on the other hand, the choice is to remain stagnant in my slowlane job. i kind of want to reserve the computer screen time for music making, just working in IT at a desk all day has killed me inside. i think i need to do something more involving my body, or perhaps, something part time. its a tough call, but i need to make a decision. if i had a year left of my life, i am pretty sure i'd just quit now and work full steam on my music. i just want to leave something beautiful behind.
- i was thrown under the bus in a corporate meeting 2 weeks ago, for something NOT MY FAULT at all, i spoke back to my senior because i was so annoyed he did that. luckily, my manager told him to apologize, but i got one of those 'im sorry you feel that way' apologies...crazy. i NEVER thought i'd end up working in an office because its such an antithesis to my personality but at the time, when i went into IT, i had limited options and just had to move out of the house because i grew up in such a toxic environment. the past is the past, but i need to move forward...
- i kind of realize, the reason i've always had issues of with office workplaces or such, is that, i find often its 1 or 2 bad apples in most office workspaces that create a toxic environment. i realized the past few weeks, that i need to work for myself...its probaby why im attracted to fastlane forum, for the main reason, over anything else. its not even about the money, its about being able to control my own time and ability to work on my own, at least to some extent. i think it would also explain why i've just plain quit other jobs - i never really cared about what i was doing, or felt like it was for me. especially in IT (which is kind of weird) it pays to leave after a couple years with any 1 company. my family looks at me crazy when i mention quitting my 'secure' government job w/ a pension, but i find it even more crazier to be strapped to a cubicle for the rest of my life...the q is, just getting another income stream(s)...or whether i continue the office grunt and try to work outside of work, on my music, but so far that has been a fail.

Last edited:

Sega Saph

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Dec 17, 2021
Russia
What a big thanks I want to say, man. It is so valuable that you share your story, because we can realise how we should not spent next 5 years of our lives. I really appreciate that you continue updating it since 2018, so huge for me and others to see how fail can materialize from the mess of emptiness of meaning and purpose.
Please keep updating it. Was a pleasure for me to read. Cheers you 36 y.o. man and best wishes. Your gamble machine now on the way to fill up by golden ones.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
What a big thanks I want to say, man. It is so valuable that you share your story, because we can realise how we should not spent next 5 years of our lives. I really appreciate that you continue updating it since 2018, so huge for me and others to see how fail can materialize from the mess of emptiness of meaning and purpose.
Please keep updating it. Was a pleasure for me to read. Cheers you 36 y.o. man and best wishes. Your gamble machine now on the way to fill up by golden ones.
hey man, haha i was partially offended and partially thankful for reading your post. if it helped you, maybe it's worth to post here. to be honest, i was embarassed to post my lack of progress. but i did it to keep myself accountable and to let others call me on my bullshit if need be. so although what you said was a bit difficult to take, i can accept that 100%.

i have so many advices for people what not to do, but i am scared to give them because i am not 'accomplished' in what i want yet (others see me as accomplished with a good job, but this is for me, not accomplished).

BTW - funny you mentioned the mess of purpose and meaning - that is partially what this is about. i came to the conclusion, i can mix my music with my purpose, by writing songs with lyrics about things that are meaningful or HELP people. the value i would provide through my music, would be to try and CONNECT THEM to their soul. which i think a lot of music is missing now, lyrically. so this would be my purpose through my music. to make them think twice about what they are doing.

i have more updates coming soon. i reflected a lot on what i wrote in these posts (as usual, reflecting too much maybe), and i see a few overarching issues i have:
- lack of commitment to 1 thing (or 2) on some level to the things that MATTER TO ME (i.e. i stayed committed to my slowlane job, but that was not even important to me!)
- fear of failure = lack of decision making = lack of progress
- overthinking/analysis paralysis = when i come up a good way for explaining how to fight this, ill post that here.

i've been reading a book lately called the "War of Art" by Stephen Pressfield -- i think it's helping me cut the bullshi*. its about any sort of endeavour you do, and the internal self-sabotage people do. Stephen did it until he was about 35, 36, before he finally focused just on his writing.

Robert Greene (48 laws of power) also had this issue, struggled until he was 35 or 36...

tomorrow im turning 36. in 4 years i will be 40. i might not even be alive in 4 years (God forbid). but no one knows how long they are here on this earth.

try and make a difference, dont waste your life...change what you need to change!

i made at least ONE PROMISE to myself, and im posting it here = i will quit my slowlane job by the END of this year, or earlier. :)

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
alright, so today i turned 36...crazy how time flies. feels like im running out...although i felt like that when i was 18! the past is gone. im focusing on the future. i can still make up for the lost time and make my life amazing by the time i'm 45. i have a decade, God willing.

i decided, every birthday from today, i will take an inventory of myself. an overview of my strengths, areas for growth, where i need to improve. after reading the thread yesterday i felt quite shitty about myself and had a lot of anxiety. i realized i have to focus on my accomplishments no matter how small, to build my own confidence. i have to start building my inner strength and belief.

as of 05-29-2023:
strengths or positives about myself:

- haven't given up on trying to improve myself. ambitious
- improved my computer usage habits
- kind, well-intentioned, sensitive, empathic, creative
- joined martial arts earlier this year
- high self awareness
- started praying more often (this helps me with discipline) the last few months
- grateful for what i do have. focused more on glass half full. this is a work in progress.

areas for growth:
- saying no to things that don't fit with my goals, ambitions, or values. saying no more often. saying no without regret if it fits my values.
- being more accepting of my own personality, and where i am at in my life. accepting and moving forward. accepting my own identity is different from those around me and that my level of success may be different than theres, and that my success is my own.
- saying yes to things that i am passionate about. standing up for what i believe in. saying yes to things that i value.
- more discipline efforts with music and working on my music everyday, consistently.
- waking up for morning prayer consistently.
- allowing myself to fail.
- allowing myself to not need perfection.
- major reduction of consumption of social media unless for the purpose uploading content, or for how-to tutorial where i don't know how to do something. solution is to restrict YT access to 1-2 hours a day, and download videos i may need for how-tos for offline viewing. the number of great guitar players is staggering.

accomplishments in my life (even if i am not proud of them, i still completed or got through them which is something). this was hard to write because every single item (or almost every item), i wanted to say something negative about it. but i decided i will leave the negativity out. i gotta ditch this negative perspective because i dont think it helping me. its just dragging me down.
- finished my BA in psychology in my mid-20s after lots of inner turmoil, back and forth switching faculties.
- played in some different bands, and played some shows in iconic venues. wrote multiple songs over the years.
- started a non profit when i was 19.
- survived three severe nervous breakdowns, numerous health problems.
- finished IT program at a technical school.
- worked in multiple national companies in IT, got about 8-10 years of IT experience.
- moved across the country with no money some years ago and found a job within a few months.
- have saved up X amount of money for music.
- built studio PC, finally purchased some much needed music software and equipment.
- learned how to do auto-body painting, minor woodworking.

future/current objective goals for identity (1 year, 5 year, 10 year? - havent decided yet, in order of importance).
- to finish minimally, 1 album. need it as good as i can get it. ideally 3 albums.
- create a music-related podcast interviewing other more successful musicians.
- build up youtube channel for audience.
deadline for above would be 1-2 years. ill pick something more specific soon. if im not getting anywhere by then musically, im quitting. and then, ill either start a business, or go to med school and just do what my family wanted.
other longer-term goals:
- pray more regularly, learn arabic.
- work on my singing, guitar playing, and keyboard skills.

i also took one small action today regarding entrepreneurship: i posted an ad on FB for fixing curb-rashed wheels. i repainted my wheels recently and learned a lot...so maybe, i can turn this to some sort of side hustle. im not expecting any replies but if someone does, who knows it could lead to something. i really, have nothing to lose.

I also might do this for pressure washing, but we'll see. i don't have a garage to store pressure washing tools, nor my spray equipment. so im looking at seeing if i can build a garage in the backyard.

regarding music, i discovered something call music sync licensing. i messaged someone i found on YT that maybe can help me get into this - or perhaps even use some of my current music for.

now, i will work on finishing the first song for my album. i took the day off today, so lets see how far i can go.

Last edited:

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
alright, so amongst all the ideas i've 'thought' about trying for a side hustle that could potentially earn me just enough income that i don't a) have a boss and b) frees up my time for working on music, i made an ad that got a response!

a few days ago i literally posted a simple ad on facebook regarding 'wheel repair' for alloys. a month ago i refinished my own set of wheels i bought used. i watched a ton of youtube videos and learned a lot...so i thought, what the heck, maybe some people might pay me for a similar thing.

about 2 days after posting, someone contacted me to fix their mercedes AMG wheels -- yikes, they are diamond cut wheels. i watched some videos on youtube, and i think i could do it - but worried its a little risky. i dont wanna mess up a wheel thats 1k each.

the wheels i did for my car were alloys, so the repair method is a bit different.

on the other hand, i need some experience. not sure if i should take the job, but i guess it goes to show that its definitely possible to work on your own on service related type stuff.

i think pressure washing was another one i saw AlexYega doing, i might post a fb ad for that.

the wheels is tempting - i enjoy that kind of work with my hands, and i could easily charge the guy 600$. but its technical work and i would need a couple tools. ideally a work van...

so not sure yet...

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
general updates:
- scrapped the idea of wheel refinishing jobs - had a couple leads for people that wanted jobs, but its not the kind of business i want to get into at this point - very time consuming and easy to f up
- also decided against pressure washing biz for now - might come back to it later. seems saturated in my area, also i live in a very green city: water reclamation might be tricky.
- decided i want to focus 100% on music. although i still need to pay bills. soo...thinking to get a part-time job or if i can, start a business on my own. i just need at this point 1500$/month to pay my bills. im not looking for the moon here. if i could make 1500$/month with some upfront effort and minimal time, that would be ideal.
- thinking about ditching my current IT corporate gig. the work environment is getting really toxic. shit hit the fan at work a few weeks ago, i was thrown under the bus in a team meeting, spoke up for myself, but the senior guy is buddies with my manager - so I ended up getting a reminder about workplace policy. absolutely nuts.
- i also, am tired of using my mind and body, for someone else's gain. this is truly slavery. i have about 20k saved up, i dont think enough to quit at this point. would rather quit with something else making me money first.
- messaged concrete companies about turning carport into garage. need more soundproofed work space for my music also so i can practice drums without annoying my mom.

progress:
- came across Ian Thompsons thread here. blew my mind, always had so many physical product ideas no idea what to do with them. i have my first consultation with him. i know it would take some time to launch this sort of business, but i'd rather do that and have something i own and am passionate about. lets see if i can turn my ideas into something i can sell. thank God for this forum and Ian's post.
- still considering Fox Legend program, even just for the sales + neg tactics, sounds like it could be really useful. holding off for now just till i figure out my work situation.
- semi-worked on song. i have a guitar lesson with a very famous guitar player this saturday, im hoping to show him the full song fo my EP and get some feedback. have two guitar parts to finish, still procrastinating :(

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
progress updates:
- had a guitar lesson with a famous guitarist, was exciting. i showed him my song, i think he found it interesting. was it a good sign? hard to say. he said it is unique and he couldn't pinpoint a specific 'time period' on it, this is actually very good for me because it means i have a good ear and im not doing anything too 80s or too 90s.
- had a consultation with Ian Thompson regarding some physical product ideas i had. this is wonderful experience. im going to go forward with this and see how far i can take it..
- looking for a new job in my current company. there is one opportunity, until I quit, i might try this new job for 6 months. but i still will quit for sure the latest at the end of this year.

Ian suggested I just quit my job now. he said that pressure would force me to make progress, and he is probably right. i just dont think 20k is enough to sustain me for a long enough time. or maybe it is enough, i dont know.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
progress updates:
- had a guitar lesson with a famous guitarist, was exciting. i showed him my song, i think he found it interesting. was it a good sign? hard to say. he said it is unique and he couldn't pinpoint a specific 'time period' on it, this is actually very good for me because it means i have a good ear and im not doing anything too 80s or too 90s.
- had a consultation with Ian Thompson regarding some physical product ideas i had. this is wonderful experience. im going to go forward with this and see how far i can take it..
- looking for a new job in my current company. there is one opportunity, until I quit, i might try this new job for 6 months. but i still will quit for sure the latest at the end of this year.

Ian suggested I just quit my job now. he said that pressure would force me to make progress, and he is probably right. i just dont think 20k is enough to sustain me for a long enough time. or maybe it is enough, i dont know.
updates:
- shit is hitting the fan at work. looking to exit, but im not sure i have enough money. i need a couple more pieces of music gear. most likely, i will make a lateral shift to another position in the company, and try to work on my side projects.
- i feel like i was lied to my whole life, now i see what MJ was saying. my family are total slowlaners. its okay, that works for them. but for the love of God, anytime i suggest me doing something outside the box its like 'why'. im 36 and its crazy im still having to deal with that.
- actually did some recording on my song. i have just a few more guitar parts to write, then i'll probably send it off to someone to mix...and then, on to the next one. i cant wait to finish this damn song.
- i want to start working on my youtube channel, its been in my mind for some months, but i realized, that all this frustration i feel about work, i need to channel it into something positive for myself and use that to hustle.
- i want to do the fox legends program still, but just worried about time commitment. after work i dont have a ton of energy to even work on my music, and if my music stuff is my focus then...

i think the biggest thing is always im worried about being broke and not having enough money (like i saw my dad was). im not in the same position as him, but i feel im always trying to avoid it at the expense of working on what im really passionate about. its tough.

sometimes i wonder if i should just go F the money and work 100% on my music and just work some 'shitty' part-time job. maybe that would make me happier. i dont know.

2legit2quit

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Dec 9, 2018
updates:

- quit my job in oct 2023, it just got way too toxic and i had it. i even switched teams and was encountering ridiculous behaviour (a new colleague DM'd another colleague talking smack about me for no reason, but accidentally sent the DM to me! idiot). it was the final straw on the camels back. the irony is the last place i worked was a union - which was even worse!!! people knew they couldn't get fired so they'd pull all kinds of egregious behaviour they'd never get away with in a private company. billing crazy hours overtime, doing work after hours at double time that needn't be done after hours, just crazy man. i felt disgusted with myself i worked there. i don't even wanna put it on my resume.

- i kind of realized more and more that i hate working for corporations and for projects i care 0 about. don't get me wrong: i like helping people, and working with people, but i hate dealing with a*holes in the office. i also realize, perhaps on some level, being hard working and intelligent was working against me in offices. toxic colleagues would try to spite me. one place i worked, it was a good environment and i didnt have that issue too much. but more often than not, it was a problem. part of it is my personality, i am sensitive and dont handle bullying behaviour well. its a torture i swallowed for almost 10 years because i felt i had no choice, but i DID HAVE A choice. YOU HAVE A CHOICE! don't waste your life! the choice was to do something else, anything else. its hilarious reading back on this journal and seeing that i wanted to do IT certifications. NO MAN! I DIDNT!!!! i just thought it would help make me more money, and maybe another chump change 5k-10k more with loaded responsibilities, etc. totally pointless.

- money wise, i have no clue what im gonna do. i tried upwork for a bit but made a half-assed effort - selling mixing and mastering services, but the reality is there's a dime a dozen people doing it out there. one guy had a post/bid/ad and asked for someone to edit 30 seconds of a clip to see how they could make it sound - i did the clip (and made it sound really really good with a bit of music i created) and didn't get any response. total waste of my time. also my focus is creating my own music.

- started volunteering at a crisis line. i was thinking about doing counselling because its more internally fulfilling, and also, i could choose my own schedule. but it would distract from music...but its just another option/backup. although im starting to not like backups. the volunteering is good anyway for me, makes me feel useful. helping people is actually helping yourself, ironically.

- i have enough money saved up to last me like a year, but its still stressful. like when the deadline comes up, ill be back to square one. so yeah, i have to figure something else out. it also detracts from my music making because its in the back of my head how im gonna pay the bills. also, im a worrier.
- did f*** all the past 3 months. well not true. i redid the whole suspension on my car, partly as a way to distract myself from the stress of what happened.

- currently finishing off the mix of still the first song. and have been reading a ton about music gear, routing, audio engineering in general. trying to figure out a better workflow, right now im using 2 DAWs and its a total huge pain in the a$$. theres also a lot of catch up i have to do, for wasting 10 years of my life in IT.

- also looking at converting a backyard carport into a soundproofed room, right now i cant practice my singing or micing my amp on because it goes through the whole house and pisses off our homestay student. i also want to start making YT videos on things but yeah, i need privacy. its really not ideal to have to build something right now, but it is what it is. theres a book about this stuff on studio building. i think i can do it, but yeah its another stress. i need a room where i can focus, make noise and not have someone breathe down my neck. im looking at the best way to lift out and lay concrete, its a lot of work.

- the alternative would be to just try and make boatloads of money, but if i have one year left to live, i feel like it'd be a waste of my 1 year left. i dont know. still considering the fox program but its more as a last resort.

- wouldnt say i gave up on the physical product stuff with Ian but put it on the backburner - for now. it also takes some investment which i dont feel ready for.

- started this program 'curable' - its like a program for mental health and chronic pain sufferers. i suffer from chronic pain for many years, and depression for a very long time. the program has you revisit your past at some point - i was unable to do that exercise a few years ago when i first tried the program, because it was too difficult. but yesterday i did it because i couldnt keep avoiding it. mental health is number one thing, and honestly its my inner game/mindset that probably could use the biggest help. i think if i was a bit more stable emotionally and more clear the 'outer' things would fall into place a bit 'easier'. im 36 and getting older. but when i was 19, i felt like i was getting too old.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.