The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

20 y/o share my (not-so-long) story

mrjohnlocke8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 29, 2018
Hey!
First of all, I sincerely apologize for any mistake in my grammar. English wasn't the language I was raised with.

This is going to be a bit about my life, and a bit of just taking something off my chest.

2 years ago was the start of my journey in this little world, where I had an idea for a (physical) product. I spent my time designing it myself using a CAD software, while contacting businesses for the various needs of the product (PCB's, 3D printers owners).

After 3 months of research and development, I gave up on this project (there was also something in my life that forced me to drop everything I was doing at the moment for the next six months).

Somewhere here I first found TMF & Unscripted (truly great books). These two shifted my mindset and my perception. I thank MJ for the great value.

9 months ago I had an idea for a software. I had extensive programming knowledge so I could start developing it right from the beginning (props to all the guys and girls here that learn programming for a product!).
As I was developing it, I had a lot of times where I had to discard parts of the project (parts of the code) as I thought of a better way to do it. Although it was a bit discouraging to "dump" the code I worked hard for, I kept working on it.

As the time progressed, I realized my job was taking most of my time so I started waking up eariler and eariler so I could develop in the mornings (earliest I've ever woke was 04:00).

Now, after 9 months of developing the core of the project (the product still need a pretty complex website) and after the time I completely changed the approach to the solution (which forced me to rewrite new code), I'm starting to think that I'm incompetent for this project. I've got to a point where I feel like I can't proceed; I've got to a problem which I think I cannot solve.

I'll be honest, I've been a bit depressed for the last couple of days because of it. I don't feel that these 9 months was a waste of time at all, I advanced my programming skills a lot. But it's a bit depressing to abandon a 9 month project. For these 9 month this project was everything I thought about. I was always excited to get back home so I could continue work on it.

I think it makes me sad because I always want to progress and evolve toward my end goal which is trading my money for my time (and an Alfa Romeo 4C), and now I'm afraid that I wont be able to progress.

I needed to get this off my chest. Thank you everyone who read through.

Also the people here and the goals you are achieving are amazing.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Hey!
First of all, I sincerely apologize for any mistake in my grammar. English wasn't the language I was raised with.

This is going to be a bit about my life, and a bit of just taking something off my chest.

2 years ago was the start of my journey in this little world, where I had an idea for a (physical) product. I spent my time designing it myself using a CAD software, while contacting businesses for the various needs of the product (PCB's, 3D printers owners).

After 3 months of research and development, I gave up on this project (there was also something in my life that forced me to drop everything I was doing at the moment for the next six months).

Somewhere here I first found TMF & Unscripted (truly great books). These two shifted my mindset and my perception. I thank MJ for the great value.

9 months ago I had an idea for a software. I had extensive programming knowledge so I could start developing it right from the beginning (props to all the guys and girls here that learn programming for a product!).
As I was developing it, I had a lot of times where I had to discard parts of the project (parts of the code) as I thought of a better way to do it. Although it was a bit discouraging to "dump" the code I worked hard for, I kept working on it.

As the time progressed, I realized my job was taking most of my time so I started waking up eariler and eariler so I could develop in the mornings (earliest I've ever woke was 04:00).

Now, after 9 months of developing the core of the project (the product still need a pretty complex website) and after the time I completely changed the approach to the solution (which forced me to rewrite new code), I'm starting to think that I'm incompetent for this project. I've got to a point where I feel like I can't proceed; I've got to a problem which I think I cannot solve.

I'll be honest, I've been a bit depressed for the last couple of days because of it. I don't feel that these 9 months was a waste of time at all, I advanced my programming skills a lot. But it's a bit depressing to abandon a 9 month project. For these 9 month this project was everything I thought about. I was always excited to get back home so I could continue work on it.

I think it makes me sad because I always want to progress and evolve toward my end goal which is trading my money for my time (and an Alfa Romeo 4C), and now I'm afraid that I wont be able to progress.

I needed to get this off my chest. Thank you everyone who read through.

Also the people here and the goals you are achieving are amazing.

Welcome and great intro! You’ll find a lot of people here who can speak to your area better than I can and I’m sure they will chime in. Thank you for sharing your story.

What did you learn in the 9 months you spent working on this software?

mrjohnlocke8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 29, 2018
Welcome and great intro! You’ll find a lot of people here who can speak to your area better than I can and I’m sure they will chime in. Thank you for sharing your story.

What did you learn in the 9 months you spent working on this software?

Hey, Thank you!

Practically speaking, I've learned how to manage and devote my time to the project much better than the beginning of the project. I have a daily (9-5) job and a girlfriend so it was hard at the beginning. Waking up early (and going to bed early) really helped me as early morning time is the most productive time for me (0 distractions, clear mind).
I've also learned I how to work on my project during my job (it's a risk).

My coding skills and practices also improved a lot, which is also why I don't feel like I've wasted my time during this project. My project might have failed, but I certainly didn't (keeping them positive vibes :) ).

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia
Could be wrong, but sounds like you’re stuck in feature creep, where you continually look for that one last feature before you can launch.

If you think you’re stuck, maybe try and simplify your concept and get an mvp (minimum viable product) into the marketplace, and then ask your customers for feedback.

It’s worth listening to ‘The Lean Startup’ by Eric Ries.

All the best mate!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

mrjohnlocke8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Nov 29, 2018
Could be wrong, but sounds like you’re stuck in feature creep, where you continually look for that one last feature before you can launch.

If you think you’re stuck, maybe try and simplify your concept and get an mvp (minimum viable product) into the marketplace, and then ask your customers for feedback.

It’s worth listening to ‘The Lean Startup’ by Eric Ries.

All the best mate!

The thing is that this is the core functionality of my product, and it's not working well right now (I still haven't given up 100% - still trying things out). Without it working well I have no product.

I guess it's currently just out of my league.
For all of you who wander - this is in the Deep Learning area.

And thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...