The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Austrian School of Economy and MJ DeMarco

Anything related to matters of the mind

João Luz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jan 15, 2019
Brasil
I don't know if MJ has already read for example Six lessons on mises or Human action also from Ludwig von Mises, but I found many points in common. I believe that ALL entrepreneurs would benefit from knowing the Austrian school (I am not suggesting reading too many books, which would be a fake action), but this knowledge would give a consistency to the defense and importance of capitalism / entrepreneurship.

So here are some introduction theories: The birth of the Austrian school started with an opposition made by the school's founder, Carl Menger, about the Marxist theory of value. Marx said that the value was objective and that there is a value in the production of the worker (The surplus value) and therefore "the capitalist" exploited it. Carl Menger has demonstrated (I will not go into details on this because it would be too long) that the value is determined by a SUBJECTIVE attribution of the individual, and therefore there is no exact value to say that an "exploitation" is taking place. MJ says in Unscripted :
"Altogether, the value array and its attributes frame the offer to the consumer, who then subjectively evaluates it against other option"

Another Austrian named Eugen von Böhm Bawerk has another brilliant criticism of Marxism / anti-capitalism that has to do mainly with the sacrifices that an entrepreneur must make: The theory of temporal preference. She says that to create greater production in the future, it is necessary to renounce consumption in the present (save), that is ... you must make certain sacrifices to produce and earn more money in the future (preference for future satisfaction in exchange for the present). Every time you invest in your business, you are stopping consuming (buying a car or any crappy product). On the millionare fastlane, MJ says:
"I spent 12 hours a day for several weeks working on my business, perfecting and building. I denied going out with friends for drinking nights. I lived in a kitnet "
We noticed a resignation that MJ made of the present (pleasure in the moment) to have abundance in the future (financial freedom).

We have one of the most notable in the Austrian school (if not the most notable), Ludwig von Mises ... There are many theories and great comments. I’m going to quote one that I believe has more to do with MJ: A person’s wealth is totally caused by the value that an individual produces in meeting a NEED (see how it relates to MJ), all of you you should probably know MJ's phrase "Impact millions" and his own commandment of wealth along with his "value-vouchers".

Finally, I will talk about Hayek with his theory of "knowledge dispersion in society", which is a Critical to the central planning of the State, basically it says that a central entity cannot recognize all the preferences / needs of a society there is not ALL the society itself, with its voluntary exchanges and free entepreneurship for problem solven. MJ doesn't criticize the statism, but indirectly he represents the idea in Unscripted :
"No one can accurately say what challenges await in the forest until you arrive. The marketmind is like the stock market; no one can predict market movements — not Wall Street advisors, financial planners, and certainly not your average retail investor. As an entrepreneur, the best we can do with the marketmind is engage it".

I posted this thread because as I said, I believe it adds consistency and value to all people. Entrepreneurship, wealth and capitalism are condemned by SCRIPT (at least in one very leftist country like here in Brazil), so it is important that you know you are with no doubt on the correct side, and even understand what it means and what it takes to be an entrepreneur and accumulate wealth.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ShepardHumphries

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 5, 2020
Great post! For anyone interested in Austrian economics, the small book Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt is a great place to start.

Also, mises.org has a lot of free content, audio, video and written. The Austrian School of Economics is the next step beyond the Chicago School, and is pretty darn right-on.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Yes, they are quite compatible. I like to recommend Thomas Sowell as an introduction to economics too, because he is so readable.

My businesses have definitely benefited by understanding economics. It's also a good shield against the wrongful moral judgements of people with zero-sum, fixed mindsets.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't know if MJ has already read for example Six lessons on mises or Human action also from Ludwig von Mises, but I found many points in common. I believe that ALL entrepreneurs would benefit from knowing the Austrian school (I am not suggesting reading too many books, which would be a fake action), but this knowledge would give a consistency to the defense and importance of capitalism / entrepreneurship.

Believe it or not, I'm not familiar with it. Haven't read any material on the subject or Mises. My only "awareness" of Mises might be a quote or two I've read on IG or elsewhere.

I know, sad.

But I'm pleased to hear that my philosophy lines up with some great thinkers in history, assuming this Mises character fits that mold.

João Luz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jan 15, 2019
Brasil
Yes, they are quite compatible. I like to recommend Thomas Sowell as an introduction to economics too, because he is so readable.

My businesses have definitely benefited by understanding economics. It's also a good shield against the wrongful moral judgements of people with zero-sum, fixed mindsets.

Exactly, categorically expose the bullshit of zero-sum arguments and that the rich are evil (or that you can only be rich if you are born rich).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great post! For anyone interested in Austrian economics, the small book Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt is a great place to start.
Thanks for the heads up. I like small books so added to my basket.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

João Luz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jan 15, 2019
Brasil
Thanks for the heads up. I like small books so added to my basket.

If you want to know more about the Austrian school, there is a book that summarizes all the main contributors very well: "The Austrian School: Market Order and Entrepreneurial Creativity" of Jesus Huerta de Soto

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018