The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I've read Kiyosaki a lot. RDPD was the book that actually turned me on to starting a business and living differently than everyone else. I've read most of his books. I didn't pay for them. I borrowed them from the library or listened to them on YT.

He made money by being an entrepreneur. He started a wallet business which was crap. He bought real estate as investments (big win). He created the Cashflow Quadrant board game (why a board game??). Then, he wrote Rich Dad, Poor Dad to build his brand and actually sell the board game. The board game never took off, but his book sales did. So, he wrote a bunch of books. Built a team of Rich Dad's Advisors who also wrote books. Started doing seminars and selling those seminars/workshops around the country. He now has underlings who go around the country and do the "Want to get rich in real estate?" workshop circuit for "free admission."

As for my thoughts on Kiyosaki. Did he lie about his backstory and upbringing? Probably... maybe not... who gives a shit? Honestly, who cares what his backstory is? I think he has brought tremendous value on business education through his books. I think he has great principles in his books that are important for someone to distinguish themselves from the Scripted dogma. Such as, the rich don't work for money, don't trade time for money, start businesses/investments for cash flow rather than revenue, and you don't need to go to school to start a business and make money. Also, understanding asset classes and the cashflow quadrant was valuable to me. So, I believe his teaching has an upside.

If I read MJ's books and found out he never drove a limo or worked at a limo company before he started an online limo service, would I care? No. Who gives a shit what the backstory is? MJ's principles are great! So, I find a lot of value in his books because of the content.

His advisors' books were good reads as well. Especially the one on taxes and the one on real estate investing. Watch out, though, after RDPD and Cashflow Quadrant his books were just rehashes of those two books.

So, I would say read Rich Dad, Poor Dad and Cashflow Quadrant. Read his RD Advisors' books if they interest you. Then, just stop there. Don't buy anything else. Don't buy any of his new books because they are the exact same material as his old books. Don't do any courses or seminars because he never goes in depth enough. Go get the books from the library and don't pay for them unless you feel the need to do that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Did he lie about his backstory and upbringing? Probably... maybe not... who gives a sh*t?

It makes no difference is the purpose is to entertain, and to inspire through entertainment.

It makes a HUGE difference if the purpose to is get people to rearrange their whole lives, spend LOTS of money, take massive action, and induce other people to do the same... based on a promise that the promoter actually had the real experiences and successes that they claim. Which is exactly Kiyosaki's intention.

He could have said he wrote a "business novel" or "business fable" or "inspirational modern day epic metaphor" etc. But what if he was honest that Young Robert was mix of reality and fantasy, if he told the truth that Rich Dad was a fantasy, an imagined and idealized "what if" composite of people Robert didn't actually know and who never were friends and mentors? That would have blown out his MLM business plan.

If people knew that Rich Dad was as fake a character as Harry Potter, they'd not have opened their nylon and velcro wallets, got a raise on their credit cards, bought mega-expensive seminars, joined the MLM, and harangued people at McDonald's as I posted about yesterday, all based on a series of fictional books.

A business novel can be a legitimate sales tool. I mentioned "The Goal" and the follow up novels by Eli Goldratt. He was very successful getting clients who felt as trapped and stuck as Alex, the hero of Goldratt's novels. Alex was just like the kind of clients he wanted to find. He was based on, inspired by, a combination of, some of their true stories. In the novels, the hero found a mentor for hire, Jonah, just like the in-demand consultant Goldratt wanted to be. But Goldratt was ethical. He NEVER claimed that Alex and Jonah were people you might meet on stage, if you hit the 100 person, $10k/month Super Emerald Gold Downline Split Entrepreneurship Bonus Level.

Why would you be willing to base your career, fortune, life and work, on a fiction story that was told by a liar who claims: IT'S ALL TRUE SO YOU CAN DO THE SAME? To me, that's not just a little oversight. It's a totally fatal flaw. It's not just a little scratch on the paint of the battleship. It's an iceberg with a torpedo inside, that blows up the Titanic and leaves its wreckage on the bottom of the ocean.

If MJ never had a mattress on the floor while coding limos.com, it would make EVERY difference in the world to me, about whether a lead gen site can be a good business model, and whether the struggle might be worth it. And that's for a guy who has nothing to sell but another book, a forum upgrade, and a very moderately priced meetup. How much more should there be REAL VALID PROOF from someone who wants you to be rich by going to his $10k seminar and signing up your hundred closest relatives and buddies?

Compare my experience and others with the evangelists of Robert's Fraud.
Just overheard an entire Kiyoski based MLM pitch. Wow, that was painful.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
There is no cashflow to buy assets, if the business is not profitable. You are putting the cart before the horse.
Again, you are conflating two different business models. If the "asset" creates no cash flow or additional value, then it is NOT an asset -- it's a liability. The second time around -- businesses create the cash flow used to buy the assets, which create long-term wealth.
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

Sauce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 16, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
There are tons of people out there selling their info products. They are extremely predatory especially in the RE arena. Good operators are few and far between and RDPD seminars are among the worst. These courses are tailor made for people in the slow lane following the script.

With that being said, I read RDPD and Cash flow quadrant. When I read them I was reading them as a business novel and for the content. They changed my life and are a large part of why I am doing what I am doing.

@Late Bloomer this sort of thing has been going on forever. Take for example Napoleon Hill, who was also be most accounts a fraud (see https://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/the-untold-story-of-napoleon-hill-the-greatest-self-he-1789385645) This book has also been instrumental in changing my mindset and a large part of how my Grandfather attributed the majority of his success as well (started a large life insurance, mortgage, mortuary, and cemetary biz). So should we be running around hollering about how terrible it was, or should we, as my Grandpa would say, "eat the meat and throw away the bones?"

I have spent a bundle on seminars, courses, and coaching, and one thing I can say is buyer beware on anything that promises a silver bullet to creating a business.

Joshua Richter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 16, 2018
Tampa, Florida
ok is there any truth to investing the way he prescribes in real estate? I think MJ mentions investing at the very end of unscripted but i'd have to go back.
Hello Tanner yes there is truth to the way he invest! There is no such thing as no money down investing your always going to have to have money, if your talking about the commercial real estate you would find a deal get an investor to partner up with you for the money down and finance the rest through the bank. But i know he talkes about house flipping to that is basically the same you find the deal get a private lender or partner with someone and split the profits to get started.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I think he has great principles in his books that are important for someone to distinguish themselves from the Scripted dogma. Such as, the rich don't work for money, don't trade time for money, start businesses/investments for cash flow rather than revenue, and you don't need to go to school to start a business and make money. Also, understanding asset classes and the cashflow quadrant was valuable to me. So, I believe his teaching has an upside.

I cut my teeth on RDPD. I buy used copies every time I see them to give them away. This book should be required reading for everyone. This ONE book alone surpassed all the financial literacy I learned in grades 1-12 - but I can name the capitals of every state in the union! Now's THAT'S impressive.

If people knew that Rich Dad was as fake a character as Harry Potter,

I need a source for this. His rich dad is well documented in his books. He lived in Hawaii and was the superintendent of schools. There are not many people that fit that description. I see no benefit to lie about a character that is so well defined, and I don't believe he lied. Identify your source please.

I read RDPD and Cash flow quadrant. When I read them I was reading them as a business novel and for the content. They changed my life and are a large part of why I am doing what I am doing.

Yes. This was opened my eyes and changed the way I was thinking. Although there is more advanced information available, we all have to start somewhere.

I have spent a bundle on seminars, courses, and coaching, and one thing I can say is buyer beware on anything that promises a silver bullet to creating a business.

I have also spent a bundle. The last course I took cost $4,000 and came with a money back guarantee. I was heavily leaning towards getting a refund because that was a lot of money for me to outlay.

After I finished the course, I realized this was the best course that I had ever taken - and perhaps the best for most other people, as well. I did not ask for a refund, and I still refer to and use the course material on a weekly basis, even though it has been two years since I took it.

I have taken other courses that cost even more than that, as well. I've never had an issue thinking I did not get my money's worth when I was done.

As the saying goes, "if you think education is expensive, try ignorance."

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I cut my teeth on RDPD.

I agree that Kiyosaki did an awesome job pointing out that most people live a life of financial terms dictated by someone else, and often not for the benefit of the one living by the script. I don't have any problem with his pointing that out. It needs to be said anew in every generation, and he did a great job saying it for his generation.

I also think his Quadrants framework is pretty useful.

He is a very entertaining storyteller with a unique, personal, appealing, humorously self-deprecating Everyman tone of voice. He's inspired many people to question the scripts they were raised by, and to hope and reach for better. He deserves plenty of credit and acclaim for all of that!

I need a source for this. His rich dad is well documented in his books. He lived in Hawaii and was the superintendent of schools. There are not many people that fit that description. I see no benefit to lie about a character that is so well defined, and I don't believe he lied. Identify your source please.

Robert's own father, who Robert derides as his "POOR dad" in his books for the Dad's financial conservatism, was the superintendent. I completely believe that biographical part of Robert's books is accurate.

My concern is with the "rich dad," super-investor and rich father of Robert's rich best buddy since childhood.

I didn't collect the bookmarks, but if you do web searches for articles from people who've tried to identify who could be the rich dad, and was such a person really involved in Robert's life since childhood, you'll probably find the same multitude of articles I did.

I looked this up many years ago, but I think I found over a dozen independent people offering real estate advice or investment based on their own successes, or reviewing personal finance books from a perspective of critical thinking, who looked into this. And every single one said they can't find any consistent evidence of who Rich Dad might have been, or how he might actually have been known by Robert.

These authors, journalists, and reviewers found other discrepancies about Robert's autobiographical stories of his education, military, work, business and investment experiences. Not just occasional goofs about a particular date or minor detail, but published statements in the books and recorded mentions in the seminars that seem to flat out contradict available third party evidence.

They also pointed out that the Rich Dad series didn't start until AFTER Robert was already a "contrary skeptic to society's rules," guiding people into Large Group Awareness Seminars and MLM. With no mention at all of "Rich Dad" or any of his lessons for more than five years after Robert published his first book. Some of this information is summarized [with citations] in the Wikipedia article on Robert.

If people are astute enough to separate inspir-tainment(TM) from worthwhile financial action plans, I'd recommend Rich Dad on that basis. Unfortunately most people say, if the story's appealing then the moral and message must also be true. And a lot of the Rich Dad advice on business and investing seems questionable to me, very overpriced at best.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
With that being said, I read RDPD and Cash flow quadrant. When I read them I was reading them as a business novel and for the content. They changed my life and are a large part of why I am doing what I am doing.

I agree with your post. I think the evidence shows Napoleon Hill probably made up or fantasized his Carnegie meeting and embellished some of the rest of his life.

I think these kind of books should be sold as business novels not as completely factual non-fiction memoirs. Goldratt and his co-author sold over a million copies of The Goal. So it's possible now to put an actual business method into a fictional story and reach a lot of people, without having to pretend that a lie is the truth. Maybe in Hill's day people wouldn't have bought "inspiring business stories, some of which are true," but today they're willing to pay for an honestly labeled book.

Another example is people using stories to convey their spiritual message. Someone tracked down the UCLA library records showing that Carlos Castaneda was in California, looking up books about shamanism, on the very dates that his novels (sold as hard fact nonfiction) claim he was in another country, personally experiencing shamanism. But more recently, Celestine Prophecy was sold as a fictional novel and sold millions of copies to people, who knew that the plot was made up or exaggerated.

Some people say, "if you're inspired and entertained and learn something from a lie that's passed off as the truth, who cares?" I care IF the point of the story is that you should take action in your real life, non-fiction world. Which unquestionably IS the point of all of these authors, and of MJ as well.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Ok appreciate it. I had no clue. I thought everyone here would love him haha. As far as investing goes do you have any recommendations on where i could learn to try to have my money work for me as much as possible? Just trying to avoid learning through experience ha.

invest in whatever made you the money in the first place

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Robert's own father, who Robert derides as his "POOR dad" in his books for the Dad's financial conservatism, was the superintendent. I completely believe that biographical part of Robert's books is accurate.

WHAT the hell is the matter with me? I had the Dads switched. Reminder to self - quit buying the drugs with the blue specks in it - I think they're selling me Tide detergent!

I will research this. I think I remember seeing a photo of his childhood friend and him together: the son of the rich dad, but that has been many years. Maybe not.

At any rate, your post is most intriguing - as usual. Keep tabs on me so I don't screw up again, and thanks for the added insight!

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Again, you are conflating two different business models. If the "asset" creates no cash flow or additional value, then it is NOT an asset -- it's a liability. The second time around -- businesses create the cash flow used to buy the assets, which create long-term wealth.
www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

You assume a business will always be profitable. You assume that real estate will always appreciate. You assume investing the businesses profits in real estate will pay greater dividends than investing in yourself. You make a lot of assumptions.

You have not mentioned the word "need" one single time. You haven't mentioned the word "scale" one single time. You haven't mentioned the words "intentional iteration" one single time, even though that is what you are doing. Instead, you want to nitpick on the meaning of words. I simply don't give a F*ck.

Tanner Chidester

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Apr 27, 2018
I believe that Kiyosaki is a real estate syndicator, similar to Grant Cardone... The video explains how it works.
That was probably the most helpful thing i've seen. So you have to become an accredited investor to get in on deals like that yes? (referring to the ones cardone does)

Than the ones Kevin referred to anyone can do?

The thing that amazes me is how cardone would find that property and get all those investors on board etc. seems like so many moving pieces.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
How did he manage to author 26 books?
Also Suze Orman seems to be a Binge Author.
Also Robbins?.
I bought a few books of his.
Basically, he takes his stories on his childhood, meetings with his rich dad, some of his later forages into business, certain seminars or conferences with other business people, and draws all kinds of perspectives on them.

You can make different sweaters out of the same ball of yarn, you know?

He did team up with other specialist people like Dolf de Roos and other, to have some books on sales, taxes and real estate. Those folks provided some knowledge that Kiyosaki himself isn't going to be a thorough expert on, but unfortunately, I have found their books, especially Dolf's Real Estate Riches, to be filler and promo material.

There are two sides to the coin. First, we may just see this 'binge writing' as another BRO-marketing attempt.

Second, it may be that there is such a legitimate need even for beginner-styled education, given how grossly uneducated the general public might actually be on wealth.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
Those folks provided some knowledge that Kiyosaki himself isn't going to be a thorough expert on, but unfortunately, I have found their books, especially Dolf's Real Estate Riches, to be filler and promo material.

I agree. That one wasn't any good. The one Ken McElroy wrote was actually informative. In my opinion, the Garret Sutton book and Tom Wheelwright book were good info as well.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
How did he manage to author 26 books?

Writing a book doesn't prove that anyone had anything to say. It only proves that they found a way to put their words into book format.

A typical business book is about 200 pages. Take a couple of months to write an outline, then write a page a day, then take a couple of months to edit. There's a book done in a year. Could you write a forum post or two each day that would take a few minutes to read? There's your 400 word page a day. Organize them into 12 chapters with 5 sections each and there's your book.

Repeat every year for a career that run 25 years, and there's your 25 books. But it's easier than that if half the material is almost exactly the same from one book to another, and half the rest of the material is given to you by your co-author while you provide the marketing hype.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Writing a book doesn't prove that anyone had anything to say. It only proves that they found a way to put their words into book format.

A typical business book is about 200 pages. Take a couple of months to write an outline, then write a page a day, then take a couple of months to edit. There's a book done in a year. Could you write a forum post or two each day that would take a few minutes to read? There's your 400 word page a day. Organize them into 12 chapters with 5 sections each and there's your book.

Repeat every year for a career that run 25 years, and there's your 25 books. But it's easier than that if half the material is almost exactly the same from one book to another, and half the rest of the material is given to you by your co-author while you provide the marketing hype.

^^^Flipping genius! Found my road map!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Kiyosaki’s methods are elementary at best.

They’re coffee table books.

Ok then. I guess that makes me elementary.

Coffee table books are picture books - cars, islands, dogs, horses, waterfalls, etc.

I cut my teeth on this book. It was so enlightening. Like that day I learned my multiplication tables by memory - I knew that was going to be a skill I'd use for the rest of my life. Some skills and some knowledge are "foundations" that are built upon.

When you write a book that sells millions, spans an industry, and is known around the world - then ok - you can insult the simpler books. But I don't think even MJ would think of insulting this book. Even though I know immensely more today than I did then - there would be NO way I could have climbed the staircase to where I am now - which I did one step at at time - without starting out at the beginning, which this book provided.

You want to know an even simpler book that has much greater lessons? The Bible. I point that out to merely show that simple is not inferior. Not by a long shot.

Don't discredit things because you learned them a long time ago - or because you know so much more today. I still buy that book and give it away - and I still read it from time to time too.

Silver Silk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
May 10, 2017
Birmingham
I gotts admit, roberts best seller was recommended to me the first real book i actually read and i took something from it. Done some research needed to learn more and the millionaire fastlane was the second propa book i ever read and that really got things going.

I do agree when people say robert is more of a auther and guru though. probably did make a lil cash from property but yh his books are what hes made his big bucks from.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
When you write a book that sells millions, spans an industry, and is known around the world - then ok - you can insult the simpler books.

I don't think anyone's insulting the obvious fact that Robert (or whoever actually wrote the books and came up with the marketing plan) is a hell of a great storyteller, very talented at making emotional connection, inspiring people to challenge and discard some of their scripted belief system... and successful at selling lots of books and recruiting lots of MLM's.

What I personally am disputing (not insulting) is that there's no valid need to pretend that fiction is nonfiction, if one's goal is to get people to think more accurately. And that some of Robert's advice is bad for most people.

I also don't think it's necessary to be able to outperform something to dispute it. I've never built the world's largest fast food chain, but I'm still qualified to point out that some of McDonald's food is not my healthiest choice.

You want to know an even simpler book that has much greater lessons? The Bible.

This totally boggles my mind, that anyone would think of the Bible as simpler than Rich Dad.

Ever since a series of college classes in the historical and cultural context of the Bible introduced me to this, I've been amazed for a lifetime at how many countless scholars have spent their entire career unwrapping the many, many complex layers of meaning in this very complex collection of books... some to get in touch with the deeper levels of their own religious faith... some because it's such a rich cultural artifact, even though they don't believe in most of its lessons.

Rich Dad tells a unified simple, straightforward story of one man's life, spanning a few decades, seriously influenced by about five people and interacting with about maybe a few hundred people in the total story. The Bible tells multiple overlapping stories of many dozens of key figures, spanning millennia. How could it be considered simpler than Rich Dad? A thousand years from now Kiyosaki and all his books will be forgotten, while there will still be conferences and symposiums about brand new meanings and interpretations of the Bible. Hopefully humanity will have totally discarded MLM by then.

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
This totally boggles my mind, that anyone would think of the Bible as simpler than Rich Dad.

I grew up listening to sermons, for years, taken from only one paragraph from the Bible. I have to admit it gets a bit mind numbing for me after awhile. That's the definition of simple to me. Not having a whole lot to work with there - only one paragraph. But, of course, preachers do wonders with it.

My point is, you can spend your entire life going to Church and never hear anything but the top "15" stories from the Bible. Stretch that over a lifetime, and it's an amazing feat, really. I guess if it wasn't "simple" it would not adapt to our different phases of life. Okay - that's getting a bit deep, so I'll just leave it at that.

What I'm really talking about is the "concept" of "Kiss." Keep it simple stupid. That was a popular phrase a long time ago, and it is a powerful method to be aware of. It might even go as far as being words to live by ~

For RDPD, we have a lot of people here saying they need "more" than RDPD, as it is too simple. I don't think it is. I try to get inside the "mindset" of the author and think like him. I actually came close, in my childhood, one time. I bought the "collectors editions" magazines of the really cool topics - cars, comic books, horror magazines. Everything a guy from 12 to 30 would love to read, except Playboy, despite my best efforts at the time (I was 12 I think). I thought I was brilliant when I took this box of really cool magazines to a barber shop and sold them all for $20. That was a fortune back then. Years later I read a somewhat similar story about Warren Buffet buying and installing a pinball machine in a barber shop, and splitting the profits - which came week after week, naturally. Guess I wasn't as smart as I thought I was. Not by a long shot. THAT'S the kind of "thinking" that I try to get in tune with, so I can apply that process to things I'm working on. Exact same concept - make money from idle barbershop customers. I did great, for a kid my age. Warren Buffet did brilliant! Note to myself: Think BIGGER!

See? The simple things can teach you a lot. I have also pondered Warren's "thought process" for many years about this specific event, and realized that IF I had just thought bigger, I would have had much better results. It's hard to explain, but I try to think of HOW someone came up with a great idea, instead of admiring just the idea itself. RPDP is a text book study in that if you look deeper into "how" they figured the events out as they unfolded, rather than just the story line all by itself.

I get that from simple lessons. From the Bible, RDPD, magazines, - everything. It's all over if you are attuned and can listen to it. That's why I appreciate the "ways" to think, rather than the thoughts themselves. Simple is powerful. And certainly underrated. Less is more? As I get older, that makes more sense to me...

Maybe I appreciated RDPD more because I had similar experiences. I was also involved in the selling of my used comic books when I was a kid - which is almost the same concept as one particular story in RDPD. But in RDPD, they didn't pay for their comics first, like I did. And they didn't sell them like I did - they rented them. Wow! What two lessons we have right there! I bet most people missed that though. They just read the story and said, "Oh, how interesting, kind of cute too. Smart kids." And yawned. Missed the whole point. It's all about the concept, not the story!

I thought using the Bible would be a very good way to illustrate that idea. Er, concept...

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
It's all about the concept, not the story!

Oh, now I get what you mean with your explanation. It didn't occur to me that someone would compare Rich Dad to the Bible as they both are just a few simple little stories, that are easy to remember since one's youth. That's not how I think of the Bible, for reasons that would be way off topic for this forum.

The thing with Rich Dad is, the stories are emotionally powerful but we don't know how many of Robert's stories are nonfiction about anyone... and of those, how many actually happened with him.

And we know that he pushes hard for people to get into MLM and to follow some other questionable advice.

If it's for inspiration about breaking the siren call of society's Scripting, I would have recommended Kiyosaki for that... along with a warning about taking it too literally, or having blind faith in his specific suggestions.

But now that MJ's books are available, I can recommend those to challenge Scripting, with stories that are literally true, as far as I can tell, AND that lead on to pragmatic, very well considered business advice.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
But now that MJ's books are available, I can recommend those to challenge Scripting, with stories that are literally true, as far as I can tell, AND that lead on to pragmatic, very well considered business advice.
Yada, yada, yada, you know what I think of their books and advice?

Absolutely love them. But even more than that...

It amazes me to no end to see the earth shaking concepts ordinary people come up with.

I can only imagine how many hours MJ spent killing time when he was a limo driver. Somehow he broke free of that and rose to unbelievable levels of success.

Kiyosaki was a helicopter pilot in the marines, if I remember correctly. He also worked for Xerox. He could of, and probably should have, stayed at that plateau. Love him, or hate him, look at where he is today!

Bob Parsons, whom I googled recently and listened to a speech on the internet (founder of GoDaddy) was one of several replacement troops for a marine unit, to make up some marines that were killed. Their leader was a 19 year old kid that didn't know very much - but he was the highest ranking "surviving" marine, so he was in charge. Bob worried that he would not make it out alive. Imagine being a disposable grunt in miserable conditions, just hoping you live to see tomorrow? Later in life, he had 50 million and founded GoDaddy. Went from a marine thinking he could die at any moment, to a leader of industry.

You know what all these people have in common with me? None of them are particularly tall, and all of them were scrapping by at one time. Yeah, that's about it. Did you expect more?

All of them are rather handsome, rich and respected, admired by millions, have a fondness for stylish sun glasses, and have great personalities. Other than that, there's no difference between any of them and me...

I'm working on closing that gap. So far, I've got the height thing under control, and I'm going to be buying some cool sunglasses this weekend.

So back to that advice thing. Yep, I absorb every word. The power of it is there for the taking, but so few ever do.

Jordan Yager

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 7, 2018
Vancouver, WA
One author I would highly recommend as well is Brandon Turner who goes into great detail on the different ways to invest in real estate and landlording and how to turn it into a business. Also Think that although rdpd is super inspirational and in fact is the very book that led me into finding MJs books and adopting the entrepreneur mindset, he didnt get rich off of anything but you and me buying his books and taking his seminars. Is my thought. And agreed the one with Ken McElroy was by far the most informative.

Sauce

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 16, 2013
Albuquerque, NM
Oh, now I get what you mean with your explanation. It didn't occur to me that someone would compare Rich Dad to the Bible as they both are just a few simple little stories, that are easy to remember since one's youth. That's not how I think of the Bible, for reasons that would be way off topic for this forum.

The thing with Rich Dad is, the stories are emotionally powerful but we don't know how many of Robert's stories are nonfiction about anyone... and of those, how many actually happened with him.

And we know that he pushes hard for people to get into MLM and to follow some other questionable advice.

If it's for inspiration about breaking the siren call of society's Scripting, I would have recommended Kiyosaki for that... along with a warning about taking it too literally, or having blind faith in his specific suggestions.

@Late Bloomer I keep asking myself, why should I listen to you? Are you further along than I am? Do you have a background in REI?

Here is what I know and I will repeat. Rdpd changed my life forever. I have done over 100 flips, own 30 rental units, this year I will do over 50 deals. I don't care if it's fiction, only care that it helped me move in the right direction.

Then I read @jscotts book and it changed my business again. Then mjs book, the fast lane Meetup where I met my current coach and mentor. It's iterative and builds on itself. Don't knock the book, use it and grow.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.