• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Robert kiyosaki method

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by Tanner Chidester, May 11, 2018.

1. Tanner Chidester

Tanner Chidester Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $201
    Ok so i've been listening to a lot of audio books by robert kiyosaki.

I'm not sure I understand how he is acquiring his wealth. I get it's real estate but is he simply borrowing other peoples money and using it to make a profit?

It seems like he's doing the right things but I'm not clear. If someone could explain to me how he is prescribing to invest and if it's a good method.

My dad starts to get heated soon as I bring it up but he isn't an entrepreneur so I take everything with a grain of a salt. Any advice on this would be welcomed. I'm looking to go back and read the books in more depth and get off audio.

2. ZCP

ZCP Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $21,225
    Suggest an intro thread (if not already posted somewhere)....

Once that is out of the way ....... Then go back and review your question and rephrase / rewrite it. What specifically are you looking to get from your OP? Show what you have done / researched already. And ask specifically for what you need and have not been able to find yourself.

3. lewj24

lewj24 Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,861
    You need to read MJ's books. Kiyosaki is conning you. He didn't get rich selling real estate. He got rich selling the very books you are listening to! Oh the irony.

He has 26 books and has sold over 27 million copies. That's how he got rich.

Jadpapi, Agbaya, WildFlower and 22 others like this.
  4. Fastlane Liam

Fastlane Liam Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,658
    By being a big name author,
    He never had 2 Dads, He never was a Marine,
    Hes a con artist

Genius01, Roli, ChrisR and 2 others like this.
  5. The EL Maven

The EL Maven No longer life's passenger Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,432
    Here's his method, step by step:
    1. Work for a guru and learn the ropes
    2. Invent a fictitious story to teach wealth platitudes to the multitude
    3. Publish a book
    4. Get on Oprah to sell said book
    5. Promote MLM in said book and get MLM's to buy it en masse
    6. Go around the country offering seminars, since now you're the guru

That's it. That's all there is to it!

And just so we're clear, this is in jest.

6. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,583
    Hi Tanner, welcome to the forum. I suggest you don't waste any more time on Kiyosaki, and instead focus on MJ's advice and other great resources you can learn about from the forum.

Robert's a hell of a great storyteller, brilliant with emotional hooks. He shakes up people's preconceptions. His quadrant of business types is a nice way to organize some thoughts about business.

Also, from people who've investigated the thin evidence of what he reports about his early life... he's almost certainly a big-time liar and scammer, who did NOT have many of the personal experiences he claims, and who did NOT get rich from practicing what he preaches. His storyline is in large part a fable. There probably was no Rich Dad. It's a fable that he is falsely passing off as a totally true story, when it isn't.

It would have been ethical to have marketed it as "a business novel" rather than a true story. For example, Eli Goldratt did that with "The Goal." The struggling business manager, Alex, was a composite of all the struggles Goldratt had seen in multiple clients. And what a coincidence, the wise advisor who solved all of Alex's problems, was a guru just like Goldratt and with the very same advice! It was sold as both "business" and "fiction" and nobody ever claimed to be the real Alex of the book.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  7. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $19,849
    Nothing groundbreaking has ever come out of someone following a step-by-step course or guide.

Kiyosaki made some money in real estate and then he decided it was more powerful to be a guru.

8. Tanner Chidester

Rep Bank:
    $201
    ok is there any truth to investing the way he prescribes in real estate? I think MJ mentions investing at the very end of unscripted but i'd have to go back.

9. Tanner Chidester

Rep Bank:
    $201
    Ok appreciate it. I had no clue. I thought everyone here would love him haha. As far as investing goes do you have any recommendations on where i could learn to try to have my money work for me as much as possible? Just trying to avoid learning through experience ha.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  10. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $7,583
    There's a real estate section on the forum here. If there's a particular technique that you're curious about, do a quick search to see if someone's already talking about it. If not, make a new post in the real estate section, eg "Flipping second mortgages Robert Kiyosaki style, is this a valid thing?" or whatever you have in mind.

Also... Either I'm way overdressed for the forum, or "business casual, come as you are" got a lot more informal since my last job :rofl:

Mr.C likes this.
  11. Tanner Chidester

Rep Bank:
    $201
    haha lmao gotta keep people on their toes bro haha. ok thanks i appreciate it.

Late Bloomer likes this.
  12. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $165,102
    It’s been a while since I’ve read his books. What is the way he prescribes to invest in real estate? I don’t quite remember his methodology can you explain it here?

Scot, ZF Lee and Kak like this.
  13. Kak

Kak Capitalist Swine Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $19,849
    What are you referring to specifically?

Off the cuff... My answer will probably be yes, it's truthful.

14. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $165,102
    Robert Kiyosaki is one of the reasons that this forum was started but not in the way that you think...

15. Tanner Chidester

Rep Bank:
    $201
    I believe he always uses the term "leveraging someone elses money." I don't know if I understood it correctly but sounded like he used other peoples money to invest in real estate and grow his wealth. I was only listening to it on audible and didn't understand it fully so i was hoping someone here might know what he was referring to and explain it better.

16. Tanner Chidester

Rep Bank:
    $201
    I believe he always uses the term "leveraging someone elses money." I don't know if I understood it correctly but sounded like he used other peoples money to invest in real estate and grow his wealth. I was only listening to it on audible and didn't understand it fully so i was hoping someone here might know what he was referring to and explain it better.

17. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $7,583
    Yeah, that's just a catchy way to point out that the money for an investment might come from someone other than the person who put the deal together. If you find a deal, and you also find investors or maybe a bank who will loan with the property as collateral, you're using someone else's money.

18. Kak

Rep Bank:
    $19,849
    Yes... The word leverage in business/real estate usually means that the investor got a loan and was able to control a property worth much more than their "investment" (down payment).

Yes very common.

Other peoples money. Like investors?! Yes also very common.

19. biophase

Rep Bank:
    $165,102
    Well most people use other people's money, meaning that they get loans from banks. Few rarely pay cash. However to take that a step further, you can use other people's money for your downpayment by getting investors, hard money, family members, or try to put 0% down.

ChrisR, ZF Lee and The_Saphir like this.
  20. jlwilliams

jlwilliams Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,649
    No question, buying property with borrowed money then selling or renting the property can make huge money. Many wealthy people got rich doing it. But.... there have also been a great many who went bankrupt doing it.
    I lost a bunch of money in real estate in the '09 poop storm. That jaded my perspective in a way that (in retrospect) let me foolishly pass by great opportunities. I didn't go bankrupt, but the suck was harsh.
    My advice is to take the enthusiasm that Kiyosaki sparked in you and let that build by digging deeper. Learn more, but don't get stuck on learn mode. Act. Build up a war chest of money doing whatever you can do, then put together a deal. Buy then rent out or sell, rinse and repeat.

21. Vermilion

Vermilion Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $477
    @Tanner Chidester Go and follow the work of Ray Dalio. Much more interesting guy then Robert in my opinion(even tho Rich Dad Poor Dad have valuable info too).

ZF Lee and Tanner Chidester like this.
  22. WJK

WJK Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,692
    I have been in the RE business for 42 years.

He's talking about leverage -- that's taking OPM (other people money) along with your down payment to make your profits on the market value and/or income stream for the whole property -- not just the $ you put down. Yes, it can work and work well in an up market. Yes, you can pay your expenses and your mortgage payment out of your rental income stream -- if you buy right, plan it, manage the property well, and have enough equity to keep your mortgage payments down. (It's called house hacking.) Some good luck along the way helps too. If you know what you're doing, you make some awesome returns.

I rehab, manage and rent low-to-moderate-income mobile homes... and my annual returns on my rehab dollars are ranging from 30% to 100%. I can't do that anywhere else that I know of... The day to day property management demands can be brutal. It's a hands-on business. Sometimes I bellyache about it.

MJ asked me when I introduced myself to this forum -- why I don't sell out. The problem is that I have built a white elephant with pink toe nails. I have exceeded the investor market in my area. I came from a much larger RE market, not realizing how shallow it is here locally. It's not a bad life -- just not what I planned for my retirement years. Even an old-timer like me makes mistakes. So, I might as well get comfortable for ride!
    www.wjkbusinessbuzz.com

WildFlower, Worldisyours, Era and 6 others like this.
  23. Late Bloomer

Rep Bank:
    $7,583
    Aw, how cute! :hilarious:

24. WJK

WJK Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,692
    Yes, it's not only cute -- it's also a cash cow. The income is 6X greater than when I started. Now, I've got to figure out an exit strategy to cash in on that income.

Worldisyours, Scot and Late Bloomer like this.
  25. loop101

loop101 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $61
    Real Estate can work if you work it, but so can everything else. That's very different than being "Fastlane". Fastlane is about impacting massive numbers of people. John Sonmez did well by buying one house a year for 15 years, but not as well as MJ did in 10 years. Consider why.

Late Bloomer likes this.