The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Online educational space

Idea threads

chuckstar_za

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
May 12, 2022
In my field, there are many very useful resources for learning/improving.

However, they are scatter piecemeal around the net.
The only way you know if they are worthwhile is by actually finding them, and buying them.

I feel it would be extremely useful to collected them all in to one place, plus allow honest review (sort of like trustpilot).
Rather than purchasing each individually, you get access similar to Skillshare etc.

Quick CENTS overview:

C-
Built on my own framework, the community will be hosted on an independent platform.
Having multiple sources of client generation - including some type of referral scheme, lessens dependence on a single stream dying.
Biggest concern about control is ownership of site content. Should everyone pull their products, the 'store' is empty. (Create own product instead?)

E-
Biggest barrier is creation of content and platform.
Without knowledge/experience, and the ability to disseminate it coherently, making courses is difficult.
Knowing what sort of information is useful and which is rubbish, comes from time spent in the industry (in my case 30 years)
Combined with the fact most people in this niche/area tend to think small/for the self first, and are unwilling to invest in any development, makes me feel this is a big hurdle which most people are unwilling to jump. (I recall sitting in a seminar, when someone stated that '£50 a week is an awful lot to spend on Facebook advertising'..)

N-
With so many people offering 'solutions' to the problems of the hobby, how do you know if any of them are good, or worth you time?
How do you find them if, crucially, you don't know what you're looking for, or what it's called?
Having some sort of curated list, or 'advisor' about the content which would most benefit you, would cut through all the guff and fluff.
Add to the fact that all of this is under one roof, at one monthly cost, makes it a simple solution that should keep people in the ecosystem for as long as possible.
From the interactions I've had with people in this niche, they enjoy the intimate, hands on (digitally speaking) nature of interacting with people who have knowledge to share.
Given the nature of the target audience (older, with discretionary income), price isn't really a selling point, but quality of content is. They don't want basic info, but content that expands on the foundations they learnt years ago, but life then got in the way.
The value skew against places like Skillshare would be that it would feel more connected, and like Art School was for myself. Being in a place where everyone is pulling in the same direction, with the same language. Places with more 'diverse' content, don't have this feeling of homogeny and connectedness.

T-
Given that at the moment I feel word of mouth, sense of community is the biggest selling point/benefit for the community it would take some time to build this up.
Rather than look for explosive growth, the best expansion towards a system that generates income devoid of any direct input from myself feels like this:

Start small with library of content that I create directly.
Find advocates within that community (of which there are some already) who can carry the baton.
Nothing within the ecosystem aside from the initial content needs me to be involved on a daily basis.

S-
There is a huge market for this general area:
Americans along spend $2.2 Trillion on creative hobbies.
The potential audience is worldwide.
Because the core offering of courses is one and done - it means it can be sold multiple times without any impact on production costs.
A forum setting for a sense of community allows for scale of growth (possibly something akin to Discord)
A series of 'tutors' could be a way of expanding the sense of community, plus allowing scale.

This is a very loose framework at the moment, I would be interested to see any holes in it.
Thanks for reading

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
In my field, there are many very useful resources for learning/improving.

However, they are scatter piecemeal around the net.
The only way you know if they are worthwhile is by actually finding them, and buying them.

I feel it would be extremely useful to collected them all in to one place, plus allow honest review (sort of like trustpilot).
Rather than purchasing each individually, you get access similar to Skillshare etc.

Quick CENTS overview:

C-
Built on my own framework, the community will be hosted on an independent platform.
Having multiple sources of client generation - including some type of referral scheme, lessens dependence on a single stream dying.
Biggest concern about control is ownership of site content. Should everyone pull their products, the 'store' is empty. (Create own product instead?)

E-
Biggest barrier is creation of content and platform.
Without knowledge/experience, and the ability to disseminate it coherently, making courses is difficult.
Knowing what sort of information is useful and which is rubbish, comes from time spent in the industry (in my case 30 years)
Combined with the fact most people in this niche/area tend to think small/for the self first, and are unwilling to invest in any development, makes me feel this is a big hurdle which most people are unwilling to jump. (I recall sitting in a seminar, when someone stated that '£50 a week is an awful lot to spend on Facebook advertising'..)

N-
With so many people offering 'solutions' to the problems of the hobby, how do you know if any of them are good, or worth you time?
How do you find them if, crucially, you don't know what you're looking for, or what it's called?
Having some sort of curated list, or 'advisor' about the content which would most benefit you, would cut through all the guff and fluff.
Add to the fact that all of this is under one roof, at one monthly cost, makes it a simple solution that should keep people in the ecosystem for as long as possible.
From the interactions I've had with people in this niche, they enjoy the intimate, hands on (digitally speaking) nature of interacting with people who have knowledge to share.
Given the nature of the target audience (older, with discretionary income), price isn't really a selling point, but quality of content is. They don't want basic info, but content that expands on the foundations they learnt years ago, but life then got in the way.
The value skew against places like Skillshare would be that it would feel more connected, and like Art School was for myself. Being in a place where everyone is pulling in the same direction, with the same language. Places with more 'diverse' content, don't have this feeling of homogeny and connectedness.

T-
Given that at the moment I feel word of mouth, sense of community is the biggest selling point/benefit for the community it would take some time to build this up.
Rather than look for explosive growth, the best expansion towards a system that generates income devoid of any direct input from myself feels like this:

Start small with library of content that I create directly.
Find advocates within that community (of which there are some already) who can carry the baton.
Nothing within the ecosystem aside from the initial content needs me to be involved on a daily basis.

S-
There is a huge market for this general area:
Americans along spend $2.2 Trillion on creative hobbies.
The potential audience is worldwide.
Because the core offering of courses is one and done - it means it can be sold multiple times without any impact on production costs.
A forum setting for a sense of community allows for scale of growth (possibly something akin to Discord)
A series of 'tutors' could be a way of expanding the sense of community, plus allowing scale.

This is a very loose framework at the moment, I would be interested to see any holes in it.
Thanks for reading
A couple of thoughts:
  • You don't have to have a community. You could have a library of content without a community - Skillshare, Udemy, Netflix, Masterclass, etc.
  • You could also look at paid email newsletters as a quick MVP to get started.
  • Maybe start without a community and consider it when you've enough subscribers/members? (I keep starting little communities and then killing them off. I've kept going with a little paid email newsletter.)

chuckstar_za

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
May 12, 2022
A couple of thoughts:
  • You don't have to have a community. You could have a library of content without a community - Skillshare, Udemy, Netflix, Masterclass, etc.
  • You could also look at paid email newsletters as a quick MVP to get started.
  • Maybe start without a community and consider it when you've enough subscribers/members? (I keep starting little communities and then killing them off. I've kept going with a little paid email newsletter.)
Hi Andy.

Thanks for your input.
The idea of community was coming from using it as value skew.
Currently I have a few communities bubbling away as off shoots of my YT channel - they are useful for content ideas etc, but a lot of hard work. It's not something I'd really want to be involved in, BUT, I feel what is lacking for prospective clients is this 'art school' experience.

That comes from something my 82 year old father said a while back. A great regret is he didn't go to University.
I want to try and serve people who have that regret - gave up on pursuing a creative career to become something mum and dad wanted. Lost touch with a hobby they enjoyed as family and, again, career took over. Now they have time to indulge and rediscover that passion.

Never really investigated paid newsletters as a 'thing'. I've always thought newsletters were firmly entrenched in the 'freebie' market. Do you have any resources you can link to about finding more info?

I am guilty of overthinking and underacting at times - A planasee (spelling?) here might help ;)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Check whether people really want a community. Maybe it's not a value skew for many. Or maybe it's exactly what they want.

For email newsletters...

@MTF has a progress thread here:
And I have an old one here. I linked to resources as I found them:
There may be others in the forum I'm unaware of.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

chuckstar_za

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
May 12, 2022
Check whether people really want a community. Maybe it's not a value skew for many. Or maybe it's exactly what they want.

For email newsletters...

@MTF has a progress thread here:
And I have an old one here. I linked to resources as I found them:
There may be others in the forum I'm unaware of.
Thanks Andy, I had a quick gander at those threads yesterday.
Got a few ideas from them which I feel will be helpful.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.