The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Feedback on My Web App Idea and If I Should Pursue?

Idea threads

Should I pursue this idea???

• Total voters

berrydev

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 26, 2020
United States
I want to build a web app for generating a meal plan based on budget, family size, time, excluding unliked ingredients, and dietary needs (Calories, Macro-nutrients, Allergies, Gluten Free, Keto, Vegan, Dairy Free, etc.). When your meal plan is generated you get access to your daily/weekly recipes, and how to prepare them. You can save favorite recipes and use them more frequently I want to be able to add said ingredients to a grocery list allowing you to purchase said groceries from select retailers for pickup. Purchasing from select retailers would be the tricky part because I would either have to partner with the retailers gaining access to their inventory or scrape their web pages and somehow be able to populate the users shopping cart for them with the needed ingredients (or scratch this idea). I think a would prefer they not have to add each item individually :( There are a few other feature ideas, but I don't want to get to ahead of myself. Currently, I'm working on a landing page that I'm going to run ads to and see if I generate any interest through email sign ups. If there is a decent amount of interest I would then work on the M.V.P. and move forward from there. I do have programming experience, and design experience, but I would like to not waste my time if this doesn't follow the fastlaner mentality.
Any and all input would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Sounds good, but haven't you just given your whole game-plan away?
You might want to edit your post, remove the details & just give a general gist.

aeden

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
Feb 28, 2020
Melbourne, FL
Selling services to consumers is very difficult, as they have less money to spend than businesses. Furthermore I am certain there are already apps doing this (both web and mobile), so you're entering into an existing market that is probably already pretty limited. Unless you have some special access to your consumers, I'd say you can do something better.

kleine2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Sep 15, 2013
It does seem like a good idea. I actually saw something almost identical to this as a case study for the lean startup methodology around 10 years ago. The whole point was how they used what is called the wizard of oz technique. Taking a $10 check from people and providing them with this service manually done by a person. This helps to validate the idea before building anything and to refine who needs it, what they need it for, how they want to use it etc. I don't know what happened to that business but it seemed pretty serious, they had VC funding etc.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
The idea sounds great. There's probably plenty of competition already, and you'll have to differentiate. Focusing on some aspects from the start might be an option, like dietary needs and ingredients, convenient planning and delivery, or just simple and gorgeous design.

For the retailers, I would suggest trying to partner with delivery services. We have many of those here in Ukraine. They already have the list of retailers and everything they sell in the database, so you won't have to do anything, except maybe categorize and tag those for your app needs. Their delivery services would be convenient for your users, and you'll bring them more business, so it's a win-win.

Personally, I wouldn't use this kind of app, but that's just me. Shopping in the supermarket is more convenient, and my wife is the one cooking most of the time and only shares me the shopping list. She is most likely in your target audience, as well as her sister, who already actively uses a similar app.

Have you thought about the monetization strategy?

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
Hi Hi Great idea to do a Poll.... I'm an indie app developer here and have definitely seen apps like this before... You can do some great research checking out the charts and see reviews on Sensortower

A Landing Page is still a good idea.. won't cost too much and at least you can find out for sure re. Market Interest.... Best of Luck! :thumbsup:

Tourmaline

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 4, 2019
Texas
How will you deal with partial ingredient usage for recipes?

It seems like an interesting idea overall, but hard to tell if it's one people would actually pay for.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Currently, I'm working on a landing page that I'm going to run ads to and see if I generate any interest through email sign ups.

I'd get out of the building and talk to customers, instead. Get at least 6 to say this is such a huge problem they will be your guinea pigs while developing it.

inputchip

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 26, 2017
www.tmkings.com
I'd get out of the building and talk to customers, instead. Get at least 6 to say this is such a huge problem they will be your guinea pigs while developing it.
Genchi Genbutsu

Genchi Genbutsu (現地現物) literally translates "real location, real thing” and it is a key principle of the Toyota Production System. The principle is sometimes referred to as "go and see." It suggests that in order to truly understand a situation one needs to observe what is happening at the site where work actually takes place: the genba (現場). One definition is that it is "collecting facts and data at the actual site of the work or problem."

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I want to build a web app for generating a meal plan based on budget, family size, time, excluding unliked ingredients, and dietary needs (Calories, Macro-nutrients, Allergies, Gluten Free, Keto, Vegan, Dairy Free, etc.). When your meal plan is generated you get access to your daily/weekly recipes, and how to prepare them. You can save favorite recipes and use them more frequently I want to be able to add said ingredients to a grocery list allowing you to purchase said groceries from select retailers for pickup. Purchasing from select retailers would be the tricky part because I would either have to partner with the retailers gaining access to their inventory or scrape their web pages and somehow be able to populate the users shopping cart for them with the needed ingredients (or scratch this idea). I think a would prefer they not have to add each item individually :( There are a few other feature ideas, but I don't want to get to ahead of myself. Currently, I'm working on a landing page that I'm going to run ads to and see if I generate any interest through email sign ups. If there is a decent amount of interest I would then work on the M.V.P. and move forward from there. I do have programming experience, and design experience, but I would like to not waste my time if this doesn't follow the fastlaner mentality.
Any and all input would be much appreciated.
Thanks!
What about:
Ads
> (Optional) Free Email Newsletter
> Paid Email Newsletter
> Take it from there?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.