The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Me wanting to start a business.

Mr_G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Apr 18, 2020
Hi,

I want to start a class with at least 10 people, meeting in person once a week for a few hours. Weekend courses could also work for people that are attending from far away. So this is a service business, and not a tangible product to sell, so no production costs more than time spent.

For the two last years I have been playing around with my website for the most part. Tried to optimize and tailor the website to my needs. Tried to get a good PageSpeed Insights score. gTmetrix. Actually learned quite a bit about CSS, HTML, Wordpress and plugins. Wrote some code in php. Did some SEO too with the help of yoast. Schema markups. Do not have enough traffic for proper A/B tests i guess. I have like 1-2 new pre-registrated participants for taking the class per month, so it is not really sustainable. Also did some google analysis with the help of google tag manager and exported the data to SQL server where I analysed the data...like 2/3 of the visitors are coming from mobile devices. I have an exit intent lightbox. Did some youtube videos (white board animations with voice over) but with like no views. Just created facebook, twitter and instagram accounts but with like almost no content. Have not tried any ads yet. I have a very stable number of visitors per month, of which almost all of them are new visitors.

I guess I should ask help from an incubator, business mentor or get a business partner to help me with the next step. Feel bad for the time spent on the website, but MJ DeMarco also started off with coding his website. A few years ago I met twice with a business advisor, I guess he liked the idea, but it is all about presence, advertising, marketing, creating a public and scaling that counts. That feels a bit distant, do not know what the "proper" way of doing this is.

So I just wanted to say that and any advices would be appreciated. I got a fixed idea to have recurring posts here like once a week about my progress, mostly for my own sake, but I am not sure if I will do that. Thanks for reading.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

JoNet93

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Apr 30, 2022
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Sounds like you have something going right if you're seeing a stable amount of viewers and they're all primarily new. Social media presence can take a bit, especially if your target audience is niche. Not sure what exactly your content is, but I would recommend finding another account that has similar content that you want to offer and look at what they're doing. What are their most common hashtags? How many likes are they getting? Are they from the same group of users? If so, follow some of them. Then, keep posting. Do some research on how to get your posts to show up on the Explore pages.
As for your class, do a pre-registration to see how many people would be interested. If people are already going to your website, start there. If you want to do targeted IG/FB ads, that's another approach once you have some content posted. From the context you gave, I don't think you necessarily need a business advisor as much as you just need to commit to moving forward on these things. Learn from your posts - get 10 likes on one and 100 likes from another? That's good info to have!

Good luck!! Look forward to reading your progress in this space :)

Ksawery

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 11, 2022
Białystok,Poland
Cześć,

Chcę rozpocząć zajęcia z co najmniej 10 osobami, spotykając się osobiście raz w tygodniu po kilka godzin. Kursy weekendowe mogą również działać dla osób, które przyjeżdżają z daleka. Jest to więc działalność usługowa, a nie namacalny produkt do sprzedaży, więc żadna produkcja nie kosztuje więcej niż poświęcony czas.

Przez ostatnie dwa lata przez większość czasu bawiłem się moją stroną internetową. Próbowałem zoptymalizować i dostosować stronę do moich potrzeb. Próbowałem uzyskać dobry wynik PageSpeed Insights. gTmetrix. Właściwie nauczyłem się sporo o CSS, HTML, Wordpress i wtyczkach. Napisałem trochę kodu w php. Zrobiłem też trochę SEO z pomocą yoast. Znaczniki schematu. Wydaje mi się, że nie ma wystarczającego ruchu dla właściwych testów A/B. Mam około 1-2 nowych wstępnie zarejestrowanych uczestników na udział w zajęciach miesięcznie, więc nie jest to do końca trwałe. Zrobiłem też trochę analizy google za pomocą menedżera tagów google i wyeksportowałem dane na serwer SQL, gdzie przeanalizowałem dane ... na przykład 2/3 odwiedzających pochodzi z urządzeń mobilnych. Mam lightbox z zamiarem wyjścia. Zrobiłem kilka filmów z YouTube (animacje na białej tablicy z głosem), ale bez podobnych widoków. Właśnie stworzyłem facebooka, konta na Twitterze i Instagramie, ale prawie bez treści. Nie próbowałem jeszcze żadnych reklam. Mam bardzo stabilną liczbę odwiedzających miesięcznie, z których prawie wszyscy to nowi odwiedzający.

Chyba powinienem poprosić o pomoc inkubatora, mentora biznesowego lub pozyskać partnera biznesowego, który pomoże mi w kolejnym kroku. Czuję się źle z powodu czasu spędzonego na stronie, ale MJ DeMarco również zaczął od kodowania swojej strony. Kilka lat temu spotkałem się dwukrotnie z doradcą biznesowym, chyba spodobał mu się pomysł, ale chodzi o obecność, reklamę, marketing, tworzenie publiczności i skalowanie, które się liczy. To trochę odległe, nie wiem, jaki jest „właściwy” sposób robienia tego.

Więc chciałem tylko to powiedzieć i wszelkie rady byłyby mile widziane. Mam stały pomysł, aby zamieszczać tu powtarzające się posty, takie jak raz w tygodniu, dotyczące moich postępów, głównie dla własnego dobra, ale nie jestem pewien, czy to zrobię. Dziękuje za przeczytanie.
Mj pod koniec książki Unscripted tłumaczy jak reklama np:. na facebooku może przełozyć się na Twój biznes. Nie jestem ekspertem od reklamy na facebooku, ale z obecnego stanu wiedzy, wiem,że fajnie sprawdza się kierowanie dobrze zoptymalizowanego ruchu z facebooka na Twoją stronę LandingPange z dobrym nagłówkiem,który zatrzyma uwagę potencjalnego klienta. Możesz w zamian zaproponować mu np:.ebooka,zniżkę lub w zamian za podanie imienia oraz adresu email. W ten sposób zaczniesz budować relacją z potencjalnym klientem co w przyszłości może przełożyć się na sprzedaż Twojej usługi lub produktu,który rozwiąże dany problem klienta. Mam nadzieję,że pomogłem. Pozdrawiam.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
You sound like a very technical person.

If the 10+ people, your future customers, are the ones that will hand you the money, you should begin with them. Find these initial customers in person (in real life) and talk to them, or directly message them online. If you, the founder, cannot convince ten people to sign up, will any advertisement or site optimisation fare better? Before it can be scaled you need to do this sort of thing manually. Only they can help you develop the service further, provide testmonials, give free marketing, and finance everything.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
553%
Apr 17, 2022
How many participants are currently attending the course?

Getting to 10 people doesn't seem like a very hard goal, unless the target audience of the course is very small, or the course is very expensive.

Mr_G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Apr 18, 2020
How many participants are currently attending the course?

Getting to 10 people doesn't seem like a very hard goal, unless the target audience of the course is very small, or the course is very expensive.
The course has not started yet. But I still hope I can have a first meeting with my audience in fall. But I have like 10 people in one city and 10 in another city (would maybe need an exployee then) that have signed up for the course for "whenever it will start". But I still have too few new prospects per month to make this course a continous thing. Some of the earliest prospects could have moved or changed their mind since then. I guess the target audience is small, but I still think this could work if I do things right, like have a good sales funnel etc...I could get a better exposure if I would cooperate with other businesses, but the other businesses will not cooperate with me if I am not reputable as that would in turn injure their business..., here I guess I could partner up with someone that is credible himself and believes in me and use him to make the other businesses interested. Just my thoughts...

But, what I am really interested in could maybe be boiled down to acquire the skills and talents needed...Basically I need a roadmap...Like a list to check things off, right now I have focused a bit much only on my website.
I guess this is what I want to learn if you listen 9:25-11:00. He's quite clear but still don't get it :smile2:
View: https://youtu.be/n4kVp_D4PME?t=564

Mr_G

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Apr 18, 2020
I have been playing around with my website for the past week. I am trying to make my main landing page fast, that is to get a good speedinsight score, right now it is 68 on mobile/99 on desktop. I want to load different javascript and css depending on what page is viewed, especially I want to tailor the code for my main page for a quick loading and hence also maybe get better SEO score as a result. Then, when my page is fast, I will try to optimize conversation. Budd talks about a conversation rate of 10%!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...