The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is this action-faking?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mugatti

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 6, 2018
** Background **

I'm a "software guy". I'm just starting my journey. I don't know what exactly I'll build, but it'll most likely be software, likely a SaaS. I have some ideas that I'm testing currently.

I feel very comfortable with the following already, and use a lot of these:
  • Servers: Windows or Linux or Docker + Docker compose
  • Back-end: Web APIs with C# + ASP.NET Core or Python + Flask
  • Front-end: SPAs with TypeScript + Vue.js + Bulma CSS + SCSS
  • Cloud: Windows Azure or AWS
  • Auth: OAuth or OAuth/2 with Twitter, Google, GitHub, FaceBook, ...
I'm somewhat comfortable with databases as well, but not at the same level as the things above. Same applies to C/C++, I can write native code as needed, but much slower than what I called out above.

I'm a little bit comfortable with Machine Learning, I can get simple stuff done. Same applies native iOS or Android apps.

Regardless of the technology, I feel confident that I can learn technical stuff, especially related to software, pretty quickly when needed.

Currently I don't know much (if anything) about:
  • Marketing, copywriting, sales
  • Money systems, how the finance works in general
  • (Probably a lot of "unknown unknowns"!)
** Questions **

Which one of the following do you guys think is action-faking? Which would you stop doing and only do when needed?
  • Learn Kubernetes: This is a Docker based cluster technology. Justification: At the beginning, I may end up testing a few of my ideas at the same time. Helps me move my apps between any of the 3 big clouds, most of the hosting providers and bare metal without a headache. Difficulty: medium
  • Learn Stripe: Justification: The whole point is to prove I'm creating enough value, and like MJ says, money is the proof. Difficulty: medium
  • Learn SendGrid: Regardless of the project, I'll need to send emails. Difficulty: easy
  • Learn (some) basic copywriting: I'm trying to understand the concept here. Difficulty: hard

I think all of these would be great skills to learn, and would be applicable to many kinds of projects. But perhaps I'm still doing mental masturbation :)

Thank you for reading and I appreciate constructive criticism!

-MGT

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I would do this:
GOLD! - Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

Then come up with what you actually want to start making. From there based on your current tasks you can learn what you need to learn as you need to learn it. Just recently I was doing PHP/MySQL for database entries. Only learned about it because I needed to.

None of these are action faking in my eyes because they could help you out down the line. Though you can build a business and learn them at the same time.

Mugatti

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jun 6, 2018
Thanks @Ravens_Shadow! I definitely need a system. I'll check this one out! I already use gitlab issues for tracking work, and I believe they may have boards which I can probably adopt to that system!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've said it once, I've said it a million times... be led by the problem you are solving or the value you are providing. These answers then come into focus.

If you're lying on a railroad track and the train is approaching, will you be dithering about "Gee, what do I do next?"

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.