The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How much should I charge for private life coaching/image consulting?

D

Deleted78083

To be fair I thought people that answered the thread were a bit unfair to the OP.

I do not think life coaching is a good idea either, but I'd still encourage you to go and try. If you succeed, good, if you crash, you'll learn a valuable lesson.

Now.
This thread might help you, it's not notable nor gold, but it should be:

Finding a fastlane business idea in a week is possible. Finding a fastlane business idea in an hour is possible. Hell, even in one minute, it is possible.

But realizing this idea? It takes a long time, like others have said. If you can't build a business while working, see if you could not work less (3/4 or part-time).

Aternatively, you do not need to build a business right now. You could learn a skill, monetize it;*, become a full-time freelancer, and then, build a business.

That is what I am doing, personally, because I need to crush some limiting beliefs on my way to the fastlane. One step at a time.

Good luck

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I do not think life coaching is a good idea either, but I'd still encourage you to go and try. If you succeed, good, if you crash, you'll learn a valuable lesson.
The reason why I didn’t recommend it is for the people being coached. If you’re coming from the wrong place then you could do more harm than good to someone else.

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
To be fair I thought people that answered the thread were a bit unfair to the OP.

Fairness is not a factor when you are trying to be successful and better yourself. Everyone is being real with the OP in that he needs to have the right mindset and put in the work and that it will be a struggle.

No one born in this world is guaranteed everything - live to old age, good health while living, success (whatever that definition is). The guarantee in life is that it will be a struggle whether you work hard to add value or don't work hard to add value.

OP needs to take care of their mindset to properly move forward. I believe that is a fair assessment.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Is it fair to the person would paid him and is taking his advice?

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
I have a good question.

What is it that you can offer and 100 other life coaches can’t?

If you have a unique selling point with great value slew, then I’d say do it.

But judging from the thread alone, it just sounds like “cool” money chasing. And that will lead to faster failure than success. In turn you may find unscripted concepts inapplicable and move back to a scripted mindset.

Today, take a step back and reflect on all the replies everyone left. I think there were some great insights posted, but I think the desperation of not wanting to work for another “corrupt” company is clouding your judgement and analysis ability right now.

D

Deleted78083

The reason why I didn’t recommend it is for the people being coached. If you’re coming from the wrong place then you could do more harm than good to someone else.

Fairness is not a factor when you are trying to be successful and better yourself. Everyone is being real with the OP in that he needs to have the right mindset and put in the work and that it will be a struggle.

No one born in this world is guaranteed everything - live to old age, good health while living, success (whatever that definition is). The guarantee in life is that it will be a struggle whether you work hard to add value or don't work hard to add value.

OP needs to take care of their mindset to properly move forward. I believe that is a fair assessment.

Is it fair to the person would paid him and is taking his advice?

I didn't think about it because I thought the OP would realize it is not a good idea before getting a first client.

My comment was based on the principle that it is better to pursue in a wrong direction, make mistakes, and adjust, than being paralyzed, but maybe it was wrongly applied in this context.

My bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
I'm by no means an expert in the field, but what most people here have tried politely tell you is - you can't be a life coach if your own life is a mess. You worked a low-paid job (which you didn't enjoy), and are now unemployed. You 'guess' that life is unfair, and are not doing well nor financially nor mentally.
And on top of that, in a business-context - will you seriously try to find software developers who will pay you $1000 to talk to you on Craiglist? That's where you get cheap second-hand lawnmovers.

Who are the people you want to (and can) coach?
What problems do they have? You can't solve them all. Be specific. Is it life coaching, career development coaching, dating coaching? Pick one.
How are you going to deliver? Do you have any formal or practical background to do so? How will you 'convince' someone that your coaching is worth any money? What makes you credible?

These are hard questions and certainly not fun answer, but you must to avoid an even harder slap in the face when you realize that no one is paying you.

Find your audience. (Talk to people!)
Find a common, incredibly painful, problem. (Ask them!)
Develop your value proposal.
Learn how to deliver.
Try & fail & learn for free to build up your track record.

And only then, start your coaching business.

Edit: just got an idea that might help. I believe many coaches offer free introductory consultations. Sign up for a few! Learn how established coaches work, and also sign up on their emaiI lists.

Another one, very simple. Create a 'value post' with a genuine intention to help in some way and share it on a related subreddit. Be helpful, answer to all the commenters. If a longer discussion sparks, send a DM and offer your help in exchange for a testimonial. You will learn and build track record. And you can get started right now!

Last edited:

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Oct 5, 2018
I agree with others that life coaching might not be your thing. However, it sounds like you're good with girls so here's what you can do:

1. Find three software dudes, who want to get laid (should be fairly easy, no offense software dudes).

2. Help them get laid. For free. You mentioned you're quite the lady's man, so you'll be able to figure out how to do this.

3. Ask them for video testimonials. If you've helped them with image consulting get before and after pictures as well.

3.1 Ask for referrals - I bet every software dude knows other software dudes, who may need help with getting their hardware wet. (Obviously, start charging them)

4. Create a simple sales page and leverage the social proof from the video testimonials.

The next steps are just one of many traffic/lead generation strategies you could employ. Feel free to adjust if necessary.

6. Create content around the three dudes with a link to your sales page. You won't get a lot of organic exposure, but people who'll look you up will know you're legit.

7. Hit up forums where software dudes actually are like Reddit or something. Share your content and make sure it's easy for them to find your sales page.

8. Voila! You've got a dating coaching business. Selling an offer that generates 1k/month should not be a problem at this point.

But honestly, I think you won't do any of this. Because of this belief:

"It's not fair that I have to go out and be an Amazon delivery man and only make 18 an hour, not even being able to afford a car and needing food stamps...while others can simply sit on their a$$ at the computer making 40 an hour."

What's so unfair about it?

The fact that the delivery man has to physically move doesn't mean he provides more value than others who ''simply'' sit on their asses (sign me up for that job).

If you really think that sitting on your a$$ will get you $40/hour you're in BIG trouble...

Building a coaching business can be done from a sedentary position, but there's A LOOOOOT more involved than just sitting on a chair.

Anyways, good luck man. Having a good mindset is hard (especially during hardship), so I am not bashing you and I am sure you'll figure this out if you stick with it. Stay strong!

thereehldeal27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 6, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Maybe these might help:

You're doing a lot of driving then? Do you get a chance to listen to podcasts?
Here's one similar to MJ's:

I don't recommend you do life coaching.
  1. Get your own head right first.
  2. Gary Vaynerchuk: How to build a personal brand from nothing

Oh yeah. Podcasts always my friend! I always appreciate the recommendations.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I am an Amazon delivery boy.
This is your first problem. You don't have any skills aside from driving and dropping off packages (or are otherwise not using them, which would be a head scratcher).

You need to develop skills that other people will pay a lot of money for. Like accounting, painting, powerwashing, lawn mowing, computer programming, copywriting, etc.

This job is so physically demanding (i.e. you can't do anything while delivering aside from delivering) that it closes off your options to work on other businesses.

Your first priority should be to learn a higher valued, more marketable skill, imo.

Having a life coach who is making their living from delivering Amazon packages seems horribly misguided to me.

thereehldeal27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 6, 2017
Portland, Oregon
This is your first problem. You don't have any skills aside from driving and dropping off packages (or are otherwise not using them, which would be a head scratcher).

You need to develop skills that other people will pay a lot of money for. Like accounting, painting, powerwashing, lawn mowing, computer programming, copywriting, etc.

This job is so physically demanding (i.e. you can't do anything while delivering aside from delivering) that it closes off your options to work on other businesses.

Your first priority should be to learn a higher valued, more marketable skill, imo.

Having a life coach who is making their living from delivering Amazon packages seems horribly misguided to me.

I have other skills. I am a very creative person. Acting and film-making is my passion. I even have an IMDB page. I am also a great writer. Top of my class, in fact. I can write screenplays, stories, etc.

thereehldeal27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 6, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Everyone before we go on to any more topics I think it's important to note I don't want this to be a poor me post or anything like that, but you all must know my living situation. You are wondering why at 29 I seem so down on myself. Here is why.

I was a foster teen for many years and still live with that foster parent with all the other foster kids who aged out. I rent my own room upstairs, but for as long as I have lived with these individuals, I can't deny the emotional abuse I have had to go through. (I should have known something was off when this person yells at me in the store at 16 years old, and a lady looks concerned and quietly asks me if I need help/am alright. I stupidly pretend like nothing is wrong).

My living situation is holding me back. I am walking on glass with everything I do. One wrong move, I get my a$$ handed to me. And at this point, it feels like I have Stockholm syndrome. Now the guy who has us is obsessed with nazi documentaries, isn't married, and has a temper worse than you could imagine.

And he talks to me like I'm still a teenager. This man is 58 and only has these people because otherwise, nobody would put up with his crap.

It feels like I am in a prison.

So.

Now you know why I want this so badly. Spending your 20's being emotionally abused will do that to you.

(Seattle area).

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Now you know why I want this so badly. Spending your 20's being emotionally abused will do that to you.
I get it.

I think you're just making the case even stronger as to why you shouldn't be coaching someone else.

What are your unique strengths? What can you be the best in the world at? And who is paying for that?

Identify the answer to these questions, and you will go a long way.

It does not sound like coaching someone on any level is playing to your strengths or experiences, from what I can tell.

thereehldeal27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 6, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I get it.

I think you're just making the case even stronger as to why you shouldn't be coaching someone else.

What are your unique strengths? What can you be the best in the world at? And who is paying for that?

Identify the answer to these questions, and you will go a long way.

It does not sound like coaching someone on any level is playing to your strengths or experiences, from what I can tell.

I think I would be good at helping men who are going through a divorce (or on the path to one) reignite that flame with their wife. A lot of these men going through a divorce have no idea what they are doing wrong, and just by taking one look at them and hearing them talk, I could guide them in the right direction. Like in that movie 'American Beauty' with Kevin Spacey. It may sound cheesy, but I am really good at this psychology stuff. I have been being manipulated for over 10 years now. You learn a thing or two about what makes people tick.

Other than that, I think I would be good at teaching acting lessons!

thereehldeal27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 6, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I agree with others that life coaching might not be your thing. However, it sounds like you're good with girls so here's what you can do:

1. Find three software dudes, who want to get laid (should be fairly easy, no offense software dudes).

2. Help them get laid. For free. You mentioned you're quite the lady's man, so you'll be able to figure out how to do this.

3. Ask them for video testimonials. If you've helped them with image consulting get before and after pictures as well.

3.1 Ask for referrals - I bet every software dude knows other software dudes, who may need help with getting their hardware wet. (Obviously, start charging them)

4. Create a simple sales page and leverage the social proof from the video testimonials.

The next steps are just one of many traffic/lead generation strategies you could employ. Feel free to adjust if necessary.

6. Create content around the three dudes with a link to your sales page. You won't get a lot of organic exposure, but people who'll look you up will know you're legit.

7. Hit up forums where software dudes actually are like Reddit or something. Share your content and make sure it's easy for them to find your sales page.

8. Voila! You've got a dating coaching business. Selling an offer that generates 1k/month should not be a problem at this point.

But honestly, I think you won't do any of this. Because of this belief:

"It's not fair that I have to go out and be an Amazon delivery man and only make 18 an hour, not even being able to afford a car and needing food stamps...while others can simply sit on their a$$ at the computer making 40 an hour."

What's so unfair about it?

The fact that the delivery man has to physically move doesn't mean he provides more value than others who ''simply'' sit on their asses (sign me up for that job).

If you really think that sitting on your a$$ will get you $40/hour you're in BIG trouble...

Building a coaching business can be done from a sedentary position, but there's A LOOOOOT more involved than just sitting on a chair.

Anyways, good luck man. Having a good mindset is hard (especially during hardship), so I am not bashing you and I am sure you'll figure this out if you stick with it. Stay strong!

This is great advice! How are sales pages made? I already have a WordPress blog but it would be more professional to have a sales page than to simply ask for Paypal/CashApp payments.

This is actually not a bad plan. The video testimonials and before and after pictures are a good idea. Getting the first 3 clients laid is probably the hardest part because even if I give them advice on what needs to happen as you said...they may or may not listen.

It's hard out there. Times are tough. I hope you stay strong as well my friend.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
isn't everyone a life coach on instagram nowadays? every one promoting their life coach skillz.....

you're watching to much youtube... guys like Tai Tai Lopez, Jason capital and all those other Bro marketers.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
I think I would be good at helping men who are going through a divorce (or on the path to one) reignite that flame with their wife. A lot of these men going through a divorce have no idea what they are doing wrong, and just by taking one look at them and hearing them talk, I could guide them in the right direction. Like in that movie 'American Beauty' with Kevin Spacey. It may sound cheesy, but I am really good at this psychology stuff. I have been being manipulated for over 10 years now. You learn a thing or two about what makes people tick.

Other than that, I think I would be good at teaching acting lessons!
wait, so, you live in an abusive household, with your foster parents, you've aged out... but you're going to give advice to married men going through divorce?
what.
is this a real post.?

holy the delusion is real.

bro, you need someone to smack you in the face. not sure why everyone here is being so nice to you and rubbing your tits.

heres what you do, the secret sauce:
1- go apply to every job you can..get 1 or 2 or 3 jobs. whatever it takes.
2- save some money
3- move

sheeesh people stop feeding his delusion. this guy aint coaching no one. you can smell his desperation. he can't pick up girls. he aint no Tyler durden from The Game.....

bro, im not kidding. Apply everywhere. get a construciton job as a labourer or something. Learn how to paint a house, and how to Tile.

Right now all these people are buying houses that need reno work. That's where the easy money is. Not on youtube.

thereehldeal27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 6, 2017
Portland, Oregon
wait, so, you live in an abusive household, with your foster parents, you've aged out... but you're going to give advice to married men going through divorce?
what.
is this a real post.?

holy the delusion is real.

bro, you need someone to smack you in the face. not sure why everyone here is being so nice to you and rubbing your tits.

heres what you do, the secret sauce:
1- go apply to every job you can..get 1 or 2 or 3 jobs. whatever it takes.
2- save some money
3- move

sheeesh people stop feeding his delusion. this guy aint coaching no one. you can smell his desperation. he can't pick up girls. he aint no Tyler durden from The Game.....

bro, im not kidding. Apply everywhere. get a construciton job as a labourer or something. Learn how to paint a house, and how to Tile.

Right now all these people are buying houses that need reno work. That's where the easy money is. Not on youtube.

I refuse to get into a job where I am underpaid and it ages me. I refuse. Not when I know there are people who can simply work from home with their laptop. Nah cuz. That's what I want to do.

And yes, I am good with the ladies. The only thing stopping me from my true potential is my logistical situation.

If other people on this site can retire early, so can I.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I refuse to get into a job where I am underpaid and it ages me. I refuse. Not when I know there are people who can simply work from home with their laptop. Nah cuz. That's what I want to do.

And yes, I am good with the ladies. The only thing stopping me from my true potential is my logistical situation.

If other people on this site can retire early, so can I.
You know many people here worked jobs before they ran a business full time. All you do is want this and that, but you won't do the work to get it. How about you get a job where you aren't underpaid and stressed. What does that job look like to you and are you qualified to do it?

You can move out if you get a job, then you can get all the ladies that you want. So you are saying that you are keeping yourself from your true potential because you don't want to take a certain job?

thereehldeal27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jan 6, 2017
Portland, Oregon
You know many people here worked jobs before they ran a business full time. All you do is want this and that, but you won't do the work to get it. How about you get a job where you aren't underpaid and stressed. What does that job look like to you and are you qualified to do it?

You can move out if you get a job, then you can get all the ladies that you want. So you are saying that you are keeping yourself from your true potential because you don't want to take a certain job?

Well I saw that 911 operators are hiring around here and pay in the 20's or 30's per hour range. I thought to myself, there must be a catch. They are always hiring and pay more than minimum wage. Well, there is a catch. Reading people's experiences doing that work sounds...stressful. I don't know if I could handle the pressure, and I'd like my hair not to turn gray while I'm not even 30 yet.

Another job I saw that pays more around what I am looking for (30 per hour) is PepsiCo. What's the catch? The catch is its graveyard shift and you have to drive a forklift in a warehouse and do manual labor. No thanks. Again, not trying to lose my hair before I even hit 30.

So what else can I find that doesn't require a college degree, and pays a fair wage? I will only make 18 an hour with my current company, and my goal is to make around twice as much. I saw you can make like 30 an hour as a personal assistant. THAT might be more my speed. First things first though...I just withdrew my last paycheck and put it in my piggy bank. Gotta get a car now.

If there are any other suggestions for what I can do that don't require me to age rapidly over a short period of time, I'd love to hear them!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Tick tock. Tick tock. You said you had a week to figure this out and, near as I can tell, you've wasted TWO WHOLE DAYS.

You don't want it bad enough. You know how I know?

If there are any other suggestions for what I can do that don't require me to age rapidly over a short period of time, I'd love to hear them!

Because you are still waiting for someone to coach you to the answer.

This forum has dozens of stories of people not much different from you who really did something about their situation and now are running successful businesses.

Let's put aside the tech/e-commerce stories. You've got people who started pressure washing or landscaping or hauling trash or wrote a book or course or bought a 4plex, and on and on. Shoot yesterday I learned some guy just tweeted his way to sales. I thought Twitter was on life support. He even shared what course taught him how to do it.

This forum has answers for you. But you're spending your time waiting for the answers to come to you. You have to go and get it,no one is going to give you anything.

The people on here mean well, they are giving you the best advice they can, and it's mostly good advice. But they aren't you, which is why you keep throwing up roadblocks to all the suggestions. Only you are walking your life and only you can find the answers you seek.

So do it. And come back and tell us how it goes.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Hello ya'll, I am currently laying out a plan to offer 12-week life coaching/image consulting VIA Zoom (as of now). I am planning on going to the Craigslist services section and posting my pitch (which I am currently writing copy for).

My question is, how much should I charge for private coaching like this per person? I don't want to short change myself, and I want it to be worth my time. I was thinking 1K per month, but I am still at the negative belief that people can't afford/won't pay that much, even though plenty of people who are in the software industry CAN afford that (and are probably my target group anyways, they are often sad and feel they have no purpose, can't get a date, etc.). It's a 3 month, once a week coaching service. In-depth. I also will provide proof of my knowledge and experience in the topics I will be covering each week.

Also, how should I accept payments? Paypal or CashApp? Etc? And will people pay in advance and hopefully assume I didn't rip them off? How do you have people trust you in this regard?

I got laid off of my real job, and I NEED something to happen. Any help in this regard would be appreciated, as I have never really done a service-based business before. Thank you!
Terrible terrible long term plan

you need to be making content and building an audience

how much would you pay for Tony Robbins training if he was on Craigslist? Jack shit probably.

newzzy2

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Nov 24, 2019
Who are the people you want to (and can) coach?
What problems do they have? You can't solve them all. Be specific. Is it life coaching, career development coaching, dating coaching? Pick one.
How are you going to deliver? Do you have any formal or practical background to do so? How will you 'convince' someone that your coaching is worth any money? What makes you credible?

Pretty nice and specific questions. I would say, that amount of money that I could spend on a life coach - depends on him and his skills, and maybe even his portfolio of successful goals he has made. By the way, I've been reading one cool article recently, about the best life coach certifications and life coach programs, that you may be heard, but not completely understand what they are all about. You can take a look at it, to understand all the pros and cons of such programs.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.