The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I reduced the amount of time I waste online

Anything related to matters of the mind

Jerma

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Aug 10, 2020
Canada
I spend most days working on the computer and I often catch myself checking my emails, reddit or hacker news instead of working. I didn't think it was a problem until I tried using a time tracking app. I realized that I was literally wasting hours every day and I wasn't getting much out of it (it's not even that fun!).

I tried disconnecting the internet. It wasn't practical and I would only do it for a few days before reverting back.

I tried blocking a list of websites. It worked for a few weeks.. until I started using another browser to watch work related youtube videos or manage my Facebook ads.. And my muscle memory would kick in.. ctrl+t reddit ctrl+enter .. and.. game over.

I uninstalled the other browser, then I started using my phone. It was nearly unconscious, my hands would just reach for my phone and open it when I was distracted.

At that point I felt like no matter how I intensely I could lock myself out, I would ultimately subvert the system and cheat down the line in a moment of weakness.

I had to come up with a new strategy that didn't involved blocking things because I knew it wouldn't work. That's when I found an interesting idea.

Fun facts:
  • Amazon found that every 100ms of latency cost them 1% in sales. (that's 1/10th of a second)
  • Google found an extra .5 seconds in search page generation time dropped traffic by 20%.
  • AliExpress reduced load time for their pages by 36% and recorded a 10.5% increase in orders.
The brain wants instant gratification. I can use the reverse principle those large companies use to make money to make me less distracted. I don't need to block anything, I just need to make things slow!

I use an extension called LeechBlock NG to put a delay on my list of distracting websites. I can go on reddit or youtube whenever I want, but when I do, I have to sit through a 30 seconds delay and I can't change tab or click on an other application or the timer stops and the page doesn't load. It doesn't sound like much but it's nearly unbearable for the instant gratification brain.

This lead me to an other big discovery : you don't need willpower to change your behavior, sometimes you just need awareness.

When I wait my 30 seconds now, I spend that time reflecting. Why am I visiting this website? What was the trigger?

Sometimes it's a phone notification, sometimes it's because I don't want to do the next task. Sometimes I just need a break (and I get up and walk around instead). Most of the time it's because of some kinds of negative emotion that I'm not even consciously aware of that I'm trying to numb out with a distraction. Now I can address the negative emotion, remember my WHY, close the tab and focus!

Hope this helps someone else too!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

bassiealaina

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 27, 2020
Pompano Beach, FL
I spend most days working on the computer and I often catch myself checking my emails, reddit or hacker news instead of working. I didn't think it was a problem until I tried using a time tracking app. I realized that I was literally wasting hours every day and I wasn't getting much out of it (it's not even that fun!).

I tried disconnecting the internet. It wasn't practical and I would only do it for a few days before reverting back.

I tried blocking a list of websites. It worked for a few weeks.. until I started using another browser to watch work related youtube videos or manage my Facebook ads.. And my muscle memory would kick in.. ctrl+t reddit ctrl+enter .. and.. game over.

I uninstalled the other browser, then I started using my phone. It was nearly unconscious, my hands would just reach for my phone and open it when I was distracted.

At that point I felt like no matter how I intensely I could lock myself out, I would ultimately subvert the system and cheat down the line in a moment of weakness.

I had to come up with a new strategy that didn't involved blocking things because I knew it wouldn't work. That's when I found an interesting idea.

Fun facts:
  • Amazon found that every 100ms of latency cost them 1% in sales. (that's 1/10th of a second)
  • Google found an extra .5 seconds in search page generation time dropped traffic by 20%.
  • AliExpress reduced load time for their pages by 36% and recorded a 10.5% increase in orders.
The brain wants instant gratification. I can use the reverse principle those large companies use to make money to make me less distracted. I don't need to block anything, I just need to make things slow!

I use an extension called LeechBlock NG to put a delay on my list of distracting websites. I can go on reddit or youtube whenever I want, but when I do, I have to sit through a 30 seconds delay and I can't change tab or click on an other application or the timer stops and the page doesn't load. It doesn't sound like much but it's nearly unbearable for the instant gratification brain.

This lead me to an other big discovery : you don't need willpower to change your behavior, sometimes you just need awareness.

When I wait my 30 seconds now, I spend that time reflecting. Why am I visiting this website? What was the trigger?

Sometimes it's a phone notification, sometimes it's because I don't want to do the next task. Sometimes I just need a break (and I get up and walk around instead). Most of the time it's because of some kinds of negative emotion that I'm not even consciously aware of that I'm trying to numb out with a distraction. Now I can address the negative emotion, remember my WHY, close the tab and focus!

This is really helpful. I find myself doing the same thing. I will logout of Facebook, IG & all of that & still find an excuse to log back in & waste time.
I turned off my cable tv years ago but then found I wasted time in Netflix so I just got rid of that too!
Thanks for tip LeechBlock - I will try it.

Ondkeso

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 11, 2020
Sweden
I have two computers, one for work/school and one for fun. So it's a choice which to use. If I want a break, I switch computers. Helps me a lot! When I try to get work done on the "fun" computer...yeah, I'm not strong enough :)

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Fun facts:

This is why some of us work in blocks of time with breaks in between. I can only concentrate for so long before I lose focus. I am a lot more productive if I work in "bursts" during which I complete a specifically defined task, stop to rest to regroup, and then go on to the next task. I've cut my "to do" list down to only a few items per day. And those items are then broken down into small bites that I can complete in one "burst" of activity. I try to ask myself the same question for each step, "What can I do right now to further my current goal of ________?" I find that otherwise I spend a lot of my day very busy, but getting nothing important done.

Harsha Vardhan

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 7, 2020
INDIA
I have Youtube addiction
I spend around 2-3 hrs a day watching youtube want to get out of that What do you suggest.

Morgan77

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Jan 1, 2020
I have Youtube addiction
I spend around 2-3 hrs a day watching youtube want to get out of that What do you suggest.
There are extensions to block what comes up on youtube. I have this one called "Clean up Youtube" which essentially lets you tick whatever you don't want to see on there, meaning you only go on it if there's something you need to search for. Saves you from getting trapped in the rabbit hole. You can hide all sorts:
cleanupyt.JPG

gryfny

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 11, 2019
Europe
I have used Leechblock, but only to block sites. I will implement your method of delaying it. Thanks for sharing. I will let you know how it went next week.

Jerma

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Aug 10, 2020
Canada
I have Youtube addiction
I don't know! My suggestion would be making it slow, painful and boring to browse youtube. Disable auto-play. Morgan77 extension seems like a good start. Also, the youtube algorithm probably knows you very well by now and knows what you are likely to click on.. so maybe browse youtube in incognito mode?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Harsha Vardhan

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 7, 2020
INDIA
There are extensions to block what comes up on youtube. I have this one called "Clean up Youtube" which essentially lets you tick whatever you don't want to see on there, meaning you only go on it if there's something you need to search for. Saves you from getting trapped in the rabbit hole. You can hide all sorts:
View attachment 34924
Thank you soooo much for the addon bro
I wantend something like this only.
Huge thanks bro

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

Fun facts:

stop doing it

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
@Jerma @Harsha Vardhan are you guys procrastinating when you're supposed to be working on your business? OR are you procrastinating when you're doing work for your job?

If the former - you probably don't care about your business or side-hustle that much, find out why.

If the latter - I struggle with this too because I find it hard to care about the work for my employer. I just want to work on my business / side-hustle and it feels like a major waste of time.

Harsha Vardhan

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 7, 2020
INDIA
@Jerma @Harsha Vardhan are you guys procrastinating when you're supposed to be working on your business? OR are you procrastinating when you're doing work for your job?

If the former - you probably don't care about your business or side-hustle that much, find out why.

If the latter - I struggle with this too because I find it hard to care about the work for my employer. I just want to work on my business / side-hustle and it feels like a major waste of time.
it's the former
when i wake up i want to work the day and complete the work i want to complete and then when i open my laptop it has been like full of distractions and shit where i found it hard to work especially youtube. So this is the problem with me
any suggestions would be helpful

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019
my laptop it has been like full of distractions and shit where i found it hard to work especially youtube

Simple. Whatever it is that you're working on is something that you don't care about that much. Either you don't see the potential for it to bring you what you want or you don't believe you can make it work.

Stop doing it entirely. Find something that you care more about. That could mean changing your niche, your offer, or both.

You have to care more about the thing than you care about YouTube.

Think of it like this. If your house caught on fire, would you still sit there watching YouTube? No, you'd get off your a$$ and run to safety. You'd run to a better future.

Find the thing to run to. Whatever you're doing now, it's not it.

Harsha Vardhan

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 7, 2020
INDIA
Simple. Whatever it is that you're working on is something that you don't care about that much. Either you don't see the potential for it to bring you what you want or you don't believe you can make it work.

Stop doing it entirely. Find something that you care more about. That could mean changing your niche, your offer, or both.

You have to care more about the thing than you care about YouTube.

Think of it like this. If your house caught on fire, would you still sit there watching YouTube? No, you'd get off your a$$ and run to safety. You'd run to a better future.

Find the thing to run to. Whatever you're doing now, it's not it.
True man.
Thank you for that advice
Thinking about to do a Dopamine Detox

Last edited:

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
This works with a financial budget as well. Awareness is key. Write down the items you waste most of your money on and work to reduce spending there.

Same with internet distractions. Youtube is probably the biggest distraction for me. The other is my phone and a game that is on it.

Make a list on paper to bring awareness and serve as a reminder where you waste your time.

And of course, reminding yourself of your "why".

Harsha Vardhan

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 7, 2020
INDIA
This works with a financial budget as well. Awareness is key. Write down the items you waste most of your money on and work to reduce spending there.

Same with internet distractions. Youtube is probably the biggest distraction for me. The other is my phone and a game that is on it.

Make a list on paper to bring awareness and serve as a reminder where you waste your time.

And of course, reminding yourself of your "why".
I have the book start with why have to read this one for sure!!

raf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 9, 2013
Very insightful. It goes on the "effortless self control" studies that are showing the effectiveness of make things "easier" for your future self.

My way was to put an extension to limit the numbers of tabs opened at the same time. This forced me to:

- not to go instantly searching for whatever idea/curiosity I'm having at the moment.
- not to use my browser as a gigantic to do list.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Very insightful. It goes on the "effortless self control" studies that are showing the effectiveness of make things "easier" for your future self.

My way was to put an extension to limit the numbers of tabs opened at the same time. This forced me to:

- not to go instantly searching for whatever idea/curiosity I'm having at the moment.
- not to use my browser as a gigantic to do list.

Dude. Would you please link to that extension? I totally need it.

Generally, on the topic:

Ever since I had a glance at the analysis my smartphone put out, I thought: "This can't be true." But it is. Like I always tell other people (but, as always, never listen to my own advice): Small Stuff Adds Up - fast.

For about a week, I've made a list about all things I'm wasting time on and thoughts I dwell on. The funny thing is: I feel like there's something wrong if there is nothing to distract me. It makes me extremely uncomfortable. Now I'm trying how to eliminate that stuff by establishing rules. But since it makes me feel so uncomfortable, I'm not making much progress. But at least I identified the enemy.

Could be that my severe ADHD isn't of much help, but I've no interest in taking a huge load of amphetamines everyday to medicate it. The side effects are bad. At some point I decided to go without any medication, whether ADHD or depression.

Jay89

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 6, 2020
Germany
I just use the software "cold turkey" it blocks away everything I tell it to block, even programs you do not want to use. You can create a schedule and lock the schedule for any amount of time you like. If it is locked, you can't change it and can't uninstall it (yes if you try very hard or contact support you can, but that's alot more effort necessary than just clicking on the site you don't wanna visit)
I love it.

Got all distractions blocked all around the clock except saturdays and everyday between 7-8. I am really looking forward to that time now like when I was a kid and Dragonball Z was running on TV at that exact time. The rest of the time I just focus on productive things, since my subconcsious mind knows there is no way to distract myself on the computer.

For all interested, here's the link: Cold Turkey Blocker

bassiealaina

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Aug 27, 2020
Pompano Beach, FL

Fun facts:

I also just started using the Do Not Disturb on my iPhone which Apple really meant for driving, when I start working. It will auto-respond to my text messages saying I am away from the phone and will answer when I return.
I find I waste so much time getting torn off topic by answering texts & peoples questions which can really wait until I am finished. Because people now a days think you are ignoring them if you don't answer immediately, this really seems to help.

raf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 9, 2013
Dude. Would you please link to that extension? I totally need it.

I'm using Xtab , but there are several similar ones for the same purpose.

Again, you should test what works best for you. For me, it doesn't need to be super secure and difficult to bypass like Cold Turkey/Self Control (Mac).

I just need a nudge to put me back on what I was previously researching/doing.

The add-on recommended by the OP (LeechBlock) is pretty good too. Easy to bypass, but is very flexibly and easy to customize. Example: you can create a small whitelist of productive websites (like Google Docs) and block everything else after x minutes.

Harsha Vardhan

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Aug 7, 2020
INDIA
I also just started using the Do Not Disturb on my iPhone which Apple really meant for driving, when I start working. It will auto-respond to my text messages saying I am away from the phone and will answer when I return.
I find I waste so much time getting torn off topic by answering texts & peoples questions which can really wait until I am finished. Because people now a days think you are ignoring them if you don't answer immediately, this really seems to help.
How do you auto-reply to messages??

Edd--19

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Sep 20, 2020
London

Fun facts:

I love LeechBlock NG. Such a strong add on to use! I've never tried it your way but will give it a go it sounds like a great way to get back to productivity

GatsbyMag

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 20, 2016
I love LeechBlock NG. Such a strong add on to use! I've never tried it your way but will give it a go it sounds like a great way to get back to productivity
@Jerma @Jay89 @BizyDad

Interestingly enough, this entire thread and the software you discussion is strongly relevant to a recent thread I posted about 2 days ago: Accidentally Killed Porn and Politics in My College, What next?

We're releasing a public version really soon to those who request early access. Just in case any of you end up being interested, you are free to sign-up (I have no intention of charging either).

Personally I used to use Leechblock (before the chrome extension I made).

The worst thing about distractions is the feeling of guilt that come from after you've participated. We shouldn't allow ourselves to be too beat up, because at the end of the day, this is exactly what YT, FB, IG, Twitter and big social media companies want from us - our attention. They have data scientists, engineers, social engineers etc. working on the clock to ensure we get distracted by their content, so we've got to be vigilant.

andrea532

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Mar 14, 2020
Italy

Fun facts:

Great tip :)

magnetix

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Sep 23, 2019
SK
I'm thinking about leaving my work laptop at my office.
At home just keep a desktop computer without internet.
Then use USB pendrive to take home programming courses, pdf-s and other planned things.
I have old Nokia Windows Phone so I can still read emails but it's totally inconvenient for anything else.
I don't own TV since the CRT era.
I'll start the experiment today.

I sell used industrial automation parts but it's slowlane. Procrastinating to be a professional programmer since 1988.

Last edited:

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
I'm thinking about leaving my work laptop at my office.
At home just keep a desktop computer without internet.
Then use USB pendrive to take home programming courses, pdf-s and other planned things.
I have old Nokia Windows Phone so I can still read emails but it's totally inconvenient for anything else.
I don't own TV since the CRT era.
I'll start the experiment today.

I sell used industrial automation parts but it's slowlane. Procrastinating to be a professional programmer since 1988.
wonder how long that would last for me. :)I started (and slipped again) leaving my phone at the office, so I can't browse the internet at home (totally, no internet) .,... is amazing how much reading you get done.

No phone, no internet, no video games in the house. everything happens in the shop.

I work at home (with work in another building) so I can seperate that... should focus on doing that a bit more, it's been slipping a bit lately and I'll take the phone into the house so I can watch youtube or check emergency calls. I have turned off all notifications for emails on my phone however, so that doesn't pop up. the only notices that pop up are personal communication (non-business)

m1nu

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Sep 11, 2020
Switzerland
Just a little pro tip if you got problems with spending too much time on instagram, fb, linkedin and more on your mobile phone but you need them for your business. Next time you buy a new phone and keep your old one and keep these apps only on the old one. Then don't install them on the new phone, block their sites there and on your laptop / pc. So if you want to do business-related things on social media you first have to take your old phone out of the drawer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.