The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hi fellow Fastlaners!

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
Hey fellow fastlaners (and those action faking - seriously start doing s&!t that matters)! My name is Tim. Just finished reading TMF and Unscripted back to back. I gotta say - MJ is a cross between JK Rowling and JRR Tolkien with his fantasy writing. The script is the only path that leads to a comfortable and successful future...

But seriously - f#@cking amazing books. The script is a bag of s%!t and needs to be thrown out.

Psychology says that people only care about themselves most of the time, but I'm going to bore you with my story nonetheless - hit the dislike button if you wish - s%1t, it's still PC to hurt peoples feelings with the truth, sorry. So here's a little about me and my path up until this point.

4 years ago approximately fired from my job as a marketing underwriter at an insurance company (insurance - exciting, right? Some people actually go to school for that...). Around this time one of my best friends became an accidental landlord by moving out of his condo and moving in with his girlfriend. He told me I should read this book called Rich Dad, Poor Dad. So I finally did - though I was of the mindset that I'm out of college at this point and don't need to keep learning.... and played video games all the time....

Idiot you were! Thanks Yoda.....

MINDSET SHIFT - After realizing what an idiot I was I had a complete turnaround - here's what I've done since -

Started reading a TON - this is ongoing.
Got my real estate license
Purchased a duplex and house hacked it. The unit that I rented out needed a ton of work. I learned how to do a lot of the work myself and did renovations after work. I lived mortgage/rent free for 3 years. I just recently sold the duplex for a $40,000 profit over remaining loan balance and what I had into it for renovation.
During my duplex time I decided to get into self storage because dealing with tenants as a landlord - how can I say this - made me want to run myself over sometimes. I bought a self storage course for $1,500.
- Can I digress? Oh wait - it's my intro post. This course was from what some might view as a GURU. That being said the content was actually good and very useful. There are GURUs out there that have s$!t content for sure - BUT the content can be GOLD and if one isn't going to put in the actual work to try and be successful then it doesn't matter how great the content is. These are the same people that will say the course didn't work - but their microwave works to warm up their Hot Pockets and the PS4 remote works to play Game Of T!ts on repeat. That is what GOT stands for right??

Anyway! I took that program and learned outside of it. I ended up cold calling owners of storage facilities and found one to purchase. Today we have increased the revenue on that facility and are expanding it in size. Between my fee for managing the place (which isn't that many hours) and my ownership stake (I have a partner and investors) I receive about $30,000 per year.

Additionally, storage related. I found a piece of land to build a brand new facility. I worked to have the land approved for a new self storage facility and ready to build and had someone offer to buy it. I ended up selling it and making a $120,000 profit(after split with my partner) for about 40 hours of work.

And now I'm working on a few other storage projects that should yield a good profit.

I did however take another insurance job working from home. This was because 1 - I get to work from home 2 - having decent income coming in while I am able to generate more money via storage and any other business that makes sense. IT is a means to an end and a stepping stone.

Thanks for letting me share a bit about myself. I'm open to answering any questions and helping out where I can. My thought is that there are no secrets in life to make you successful - it is putting in the work that will make you successful. And good looks and Thor like abs....s@!t, no wonder why I have to work so hard.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
Mobile home parks.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
@Strategery - Not hate, just dislike strongly haha. The difference is that with mobile home parks is that people buy the homes and rent the lot - so no actually units to worry about needing to renovate at all. Nor toilets to fix, or lightbulbs to change, etc.

WellWallet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Mar 6, 2019
Hey there and welcome! I really relate to your story - especially about how you transitioned to working from home and are house hacking/storage solution-ing your way to the Fastlane. I am working hard to head in that direction as well!

Look forward to hearing about your next move!

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
@WellWallet - what are you doing now to work toward that direction?

WellWallet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Mar 6, 2019
@WellWallet - what are you doing now to work toward that direction?
So the minute after I read your post... I started looking for specific remote jobs. I have email alerts come directly to my inbox, but it seems like this type of complete transition might take a more measured and strategic approach (i.e. identifying specific skills that will transition into remote work, crafting a resume highlighting these skills, preparing a written "about me" statement since many of these jobs want a digital profile. I know what to do, the challenge is carving away time to work on this while juggling other projects (two of them fast lane related...)
It's an ongoing debate over where to best allocate your resources (time, energy, attention, etc...) but my plan is to keep the end goal in view and keep chugging away... doing the next right thing!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tpuffer

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Sep 12, 2019
So the minute after I read your post... I started looking for specific remote jobs. I have email alerts come directly to my inbox, but it seems like this type of complete transition might take a more measured and strategic approach (i.e. identifying specific skills that will transition into remote work, crafting a resume highlighting these skills, preparing a written "about me" statement since many of these jobs want a digital profile. I know what to do, the challenge is carving away time to work on this while juggling other projects (two of them fast lane related...)
It's an ongoing debate over where to best allocate your resources (time, energy, attention, etc...) but my plan is to keep the end goal in view and keep chugging away... doing the next right thing!

A lot of employers offer remote jobs now - I'm not sure that tailoring a resume towards that will help all too much. Besides - the best way I've found to get a different JOB is to network with people. IF they like you and know you're good - something will come up.

Are you at the point right now where you are doing basic searching into a few ideas to find out what will work for a fast lane business? Or are you trying to make all those projects work?

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I just realized you joined last week. Welcome! Those are some giant leaps of action taking. Truly inspiring.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...