The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Figuring Out Twitter

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Quick background:
  • I've been on Twitter since 2011 but barely used it. When I did log in it was to half-heartedly post a quote I liked and it was invariably to tumbleweeds.
  • Twitter recently acquired Revue as @MTF mentioned here (thanks @MTF).
  • I like paid email newsletters as a business model so logged into Twitter to see what they'd done.
  • I had 181 tweets, 196 followers, and no interaction with anyone on the platform. (Vanity metrics but interesting to note.)

What happened:
  • I saw an interesting Tweet in my feed so replied to it.
  • One guy I was chatting with was an interesting founder with 12k followers, a podcast, and a couple of books. It was interesting/fun chatting to him and some of the people engaging in his thread.
  • 5 days and 170 Tweets later I've come up for air and think I "get" Twitter now. It seems just like this forum and any other community - good things start to happen if you focus on making friends, helping people, and building relationships.
  • It's been fun, but unsustainable!

Screenshot of analytics:
  • I've never looked at this before and don't really know what to make of it yet.
1612658949209.png

Why create this thread?
  • I can see me on Twitter for at least a few more weeks/months.
  • We're in lockdown, kids are home schooling, and I don't get much time to work on my business during the day. I can snatch a cup of tea in the kitchen and easily check Twitter though. Twitter lends itself to short, sharp responses and dipping in and out (although I've got to be careful not to get sucked into the phone!). It's become too hard to record and edit videos when I now have to do client work and calls in the evening. Plans for video marketing will have to be shelved for a while.
  • It seems Twitter could suit me anyway as I'm fond of quotes and short replies.
  • I always document as I go along, and prefer doing it so others can follow and give input. No, it's not to get folks to follow me but if you want to then the link is in my signature (what a shame I have to say that).

My goals on Twitter:
  • Figure Twitter out (I have marketing clients so it's handy for me to have done things when talking to them about it).
  • Figure out how Twitter is using Revue newsletters (maybe by growing a Revue newsletter and monetising it?).
  • Build relationships with super interesting people doing super interesting things.
  • Build an audience/community/following that leads to more inbound business for my consulting, courses/membership, and current paid email newsletter.
  • Create repeatable processes for others to follow (my team, people in here, etc).

My profile page currently:
  • I noticed I was in conversation with a lot of technical startup founders, more so than marketers (thank goodness). I've lead with that in my bio.
  • I setup a Linktr.ee just to list the Twitter threads I'm creating. Obviously the priority is to get people onto an email list in case I'm "deplatformed" for whatever reason. (That's the "C" out of CENTS.)
  • This is the linktr.ee.
  • Here's the pinned thread you see in the screenshot.
1612660158965.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Twitter is weird, but once you get a couple of people either replying to your tweets or vice-versa, it's like a cocktail party. It has its vices, but I've made lifelong friends there as well as found gigs on there too!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Twitter is my bread-and-butter as far as advertising goes. My first time around I didn’t get much success, because I thought he had the same formula as Instagram. I was relying on hashtags to grow my page and get followers. For my product, the best thing that works is going to pages with large followings and paying them to advertise on their page. It must be noted that my product is marketing to guys who view smut, and Twitter is the Wild West for xxx content. Not sure how my strategy would for for another type of product

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Twitter is my bread-and-butter as far as advertising goes. My first time around I didn’t get much success, because I thought he had the same formula as Instagram. I was relying on hashtags to grow my page and get followers. For my product, the best thing that works is going to pages with large followings and paying them to advertise on their page. It must be noted that my product is marketing to guys who view smut, and Twitter is the Wild West for xxx content. Not sure how my strategy would for for another type of product
Interesting. I like your intentionality of looking for bigger accounts and trying to get their followers to (I presume) follow you. How do you find those bigger accounts?

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
Quick background:
  • I've been on Twitter since 2011 but barely used it. When I did log in it was to half-heartedly post a quote I liked and it was invariably to tumbleweeds.
  • Twitter recently acquired Revue as @MTF mentioned here (thanks @MTF).
  • I like paid email newsletters as a business model so logged into Twitter to see what they'd done.
  • I had 181 tweets, 196 followers, and no interaction with anyone on the platform. (Vanity metrics but interesting to note.)

What happened:
  • I saw an interesting Tweet in my feed so replied to it.
  • One guy I was chatting with was an interesting founder with 12k followers, a podcast, and a couple of books. It was interesting/fun chatting to him and some of the people engaging in his thread.
  • 5 days and 170 Tweets later I've come up for air and think I "get" Twitter now. It seems just like this forum and any other community - good things start to happen if you focus on making friends, helping people, and building relationships.
  • It's been fun, but unsustainable!

Screenshot of analytics:
  • I've never looked at this before and don't really know what to make of it yet.
View attachment 36677

Why create this thread?
  • I can see me on Twitter for at least a few more weeks/months.
  • We're in lockdown, kids are home schooling, and I don't get much time to work on my business during the day. I can snatch a cup of tea in the kitchen and easily check Twitter though. Twitter lends itself to short, sharp responses and dipping in and out (although I've got to be careful not to get sucked into the phone!). It's become too hard to record and edit videos when I now have to do client work and calls in the evening. Plans for video marketing will have to be shelved for a while.
  • It seems Twitter could suit me anyway as I'm fond of quotes and short replies.
  • I always document as I go along, and prefer doing it so others can follow and give input. No, it's not to get folks to follow me but if you want to then the link is in my signature (what a shame I have to say that).

My goals on Twitter:
  • Figure Twitter out (I have marketing clients so it's handy for me to have done things when talking to them about it).
  • Figure out how Twitter is using Revue newsletters (maybe by growing a Revue newsletter and monetising it?).
  • Build relationships with super interesting people doing super interesting things.
  • Build an audience/community/following that leads to more inbound business for my consulting, courses/membership, and current paid email newsletter.
  • Create repeatable processes for others to follow (my team, people in here, etc).

My profile page currently:
  • I noticed I was in conversation with a lot of technical startup founders, more so than marketers (thank goodness). I've lead with that in my bio.
  • I setup a Linktr.ee just to list the Twitter threads I'm creating. Obviously the priority is to get people onto an email list in case I'm "deplatformed" for whatever reason. (That's the "C" out of CENTS.)
  • This is the linktr.ee.
  • Here's the pinned thread you see in the screenshot.
View attachment 36679
I have the most fun and interaction on Twitter when I tweet for myself (AKA laugh at my own jokes). I retweet things that make me laugh and I intersperse it with 'advertising' my shit.

Overall I do find Twitter a bit of a cesspit but I do have fun on it sometimes. I probably don't use it the way I'm supposed to. But the more you're on it the more you're seen. Bloody social media vampires :D

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm maybe just over a week into "properly" using Twitter. Basically, engage folks and have fun.

I did turn some of the posts in this forum thread:

into a Twitter thread that I pinned to my profile:
1613120409073.png

It's not pinned to get new people to find me. It's there so people who do see my Tweets and might come back to view my profile can quickly see what I'm about. If they get value from that thread then they may follow me, or message me.

A guy who's into B2B sales and written a sales book messaged me this:

1613120643373.png
He liked a few of the tweets in my post and we had a good old chatter in Twitter DMs. He's recently been on a podcast discussing sales and I've listened to most of it and will give him feedback. We got on like a house on fire. He wanted to know links to some of the podcasts I'd been on so I sent them. I also said I was creating a new podcast soon and would get him on. He agreed immediately.

Easy, natural, and fun. Just like doing the same in Facebook groups, and I presume LinkedIn would be if I logged into it. Oh, and like in this forum.

So here's a snapshot of my stats. There's not a good indicator of what's really happening. Same as posting in this forum. PMs are where relationships are built.

1613120910156.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Overall I do find Twitter a bit of a cesspit
That's interesting. I find LinkedIn a cesspit and Twitter refreshing. It's likely down to our profile setup, connections, posting history, etc.

Marigold

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 15, 2018
Glasgow & Malaga
I'm maybe just over a week into "properly" using Twitter. Basically, engage folks and have fun.

I did turn some of the posts in this forum thread:

into a Twitter thread that I pinned to my profile:
View attachment 36764

It's not pinned to get new people to find me. It's there so people who do see my Tweets and might come back to view my profile can quickly see what I'm about. If they get value from that thread then they may follow me, or message me.

A guy who's into B2B sales and written a sales book messaged me this:

View attachment 36766
He liked a few of the tweets in my post and we had a good old chatter in Twitter DMs. He's recently been on a podcast discussing sales and I've listened to most of it and will give him feedback. We got on like a house on fire. He wanted to know links to some of the podcasts I'd been on so I sent them. I also said I was creating a new podcast soon and would get him on. He agreed immediately.

Easy, natural, and fun. Just like doing the same in Facebook groups, and I presume LinkedIn would be if I logged into it. Oh, and like in this forum.

So here's a snapshot of my stats. There's not a good indicator of what's really happening. Same as posting in this forum. PMs are where relationships are built.

View attachment 36767
I like the pinned helpful post idea. ATM my pinned post is a meme that makes me piss myself. My brand is a bit silly so that kinda makes sense. I really need to up my game. Haven't even looked at my stats.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I find LinkedIn a cesspit

I'm having the same feelings after 2-3 weeks spent regularly on LinkedIn.

I can smell the sales breath of most of the people on there. You can feel they are out of blood.

Naturally, there are plenty of helpful people as well, and I'm trying my hardest to weed out the good from the bad.

As for Twitter, I don't have an account on it, nor I've ever really cared about it, but I love your approach Andy. I wonder how I could replicate it myself. I'm a helpful and upbeat person, but most people seem to distance themselves from me. Got any suggestion?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As for Twitter, I don't have an account on it, nor I've ever really cared about it, but I love your approach Andy. I wonder how I could replicate it myself.

Go through the podcast I link to in this thread, and my notes. Add your notes. Tag Arvid and say thanks, and why. Watch what happens.
I'm a helpful and upbeat person
Perfect.

most people seem to distance themselves from me
There are certainly ways to write and interact so folks are less inclined to distance themselves, and over time we learn how to do that.

I suspect that’s nothing for you to worry about based on your naturally giving tendencies. The right people will appreciate you. View your interactions in life and business as just ways to filter folks in and filter folks out. Be you and the people who like and appreciate you for the way you are will naturally find you. Like happens in this forum right?

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Interesting. I like your intentionality of looking for bigger accounts and trying to get their followers to (I presume) follow you. How do you find those bigger accounts?
Usually a post from their account gets quoted on a similar page. Every now and then I’ll just click on a followers page. They usually retweet or Like a post from a popular page, so I’ll just click the page and message the owner if they have enough followers and enagagement

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Twitter's fun so far. I can't over-tweet. Yay!

Just noticed I got 100 new followers since I started this adventure:

1613520902177.png

I had to create a Linktree to keep track of all the Twitter threads I've created:

Ended up creating a newsletter here:

Will create a new podcast shortly too.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I'd have never predicted Twitter would teach me (or at least motivate me) to become a better writer...

There's something about Twitter that has been annoying me so much recently... It feels a little like Instagram but instead of showing off using images, people show off using clever one-liners. In the end, neither feels authentic.

So it's hard for me to get past that when reading any content written by someone very invested in Twitter as this guy clearly is.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I had a 3509 follower twitter account and just deleted it.

That app man kill me.

Don't know how i lasted as long as I did.

Worst return on time invested ever.

Killed it before it killed me.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There's something about Twitter that has been annoying me so much recently... It feels a little like Instagram but instead of showing off using images, people show off using clever one-liners. In the end, neither feels authentic.

So it's hard for me to get past that when reading any content written by someone very invested in Twitter as this guy clearly is.
I’ve been on Twitter “properly” for only a couple of weeks or so. I’m finding it much like the forum in that there’s conversations going on in public (like this), as well as people posting to build an audience.

I don’t mind that that guy created content well formatted for Twitter, because I enjoyed reading it and learned from it. I suspect he wrote a long form article and edited it mercilessly before creating that Twitter thread.

I think he’s got a follower count over 100k, and his content gets retweeted a lot. I think he’s a good example of someone using Twitter well.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Yeah I get it, it's just my personal issue with it. I just don't use Twitter and dislike many of its advocates because they fit a certain "Silicon Valley business visionary" stereotype I abhor.

His advice is good but it's also important to remember that it all depends on your style. I don't like poetry and very rarely, if ever, use it. I find it a waste of words—for my personal style of writing. I prefer stories and real-world examples. This is of course different in writing fiction but even then, you need to be careful with poetry because it can easily turn into what's called "purple prose."

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Yeah I get it, it's just my personal issue with it. I just don't use Twitter and dislike many of its advocates because they fit a certain "Silicon Valley business visionary" stereotype I abhor.

His advice is good but it's also important to remember that it all depends on your style. I don't like poetry and very rarely, if ever, use it. I find it a waste of words—for my personal style of writing. I prefer stories and real-world examples. This is of course different in writing fiction but even then, you need to be careful with poetry because it can easily turn into what's called "purple prose."
Yeah, I don’t write fiction. My goal is to write how I speak. (But with less rambling and interrupting myself!)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Time to refocus:
  1. We'll create a newsletter signup page and link to it in the bio URL and the pinned tweet.
  2. I'll maybe put some image in the header. Until I think of something I quite like the minimalist look.
1613948338797.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This tweet sums up how I learn:

1613830927475.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I wanted better Twitter stats so just signed up to ilo.so

I’ll do more of a write up on 01-Mar-21 as that will be one month and exactly 28 days since I started on Twitter again.

I’m starting to figure out how to structure threads and link to previous tweets (like how I link to threads in the forum). I haven’t seen anyone quite doing what I’m doing.

At 396 followers.

Still fascinated and learning.

We can’t over-tweet, which suits me. (1,500+ tweets in Feb already.) In the seven years I’ve been on the forum I think this is the least I’ve posted in a month.

Advice when starting includes engaging with people, over-loading the algorithm (tweeting a lot), and adding insights when replying/sharing. All suit me.

Twitter is a platform more for personal brands. People prefer interacting with someone using their real name and photo. Suits me too.

I’m frustrated by not being able to reorder my main threads. I’ve been using Linktr.ee but it doesn’t look like a page of Twitter threads. Bought a *great* domain for this and will get my developer to create something. Could be a simple SaaS like Linktr.ee

Created a list of all my threads in the forum (see the first link in my signature). Working through them to see which I should publish as a Twitter thread.

Bought a book by Nicolas Cole:
64F64A09-266B-4827-A3FA-132C62F16D60.jpeg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Feb-2021 Summary
  • It was my first real month on Twitter.
  • My last 28 day stats is for the whole month:
  • A lot of time spent tweeting and figuring out the platform.
  • 23k profile visits resulted in 210 new followers. That's about a 0.9% visitor-to-follower conversion rate.
1614611206951.png

# Daily tweets & impressions:
  • Notice how I'm getting more impressions for a similar number of daily tweets now compared to a few weeks ago.
1614611370449.png

# Main learnings/takeaways:

1) I setup my profile:

From this on 12-Feb:

1614611712284.png

To this as of 01-Mar-21:

1614611804788.png

2) I figured out how to take what I do in the forum to Twitter:
  • In the forum I create a thread when I find I keep repeating myself.
  • I was trying to figure out how to do that on Twitter. No-one I've come across seems to be doing that.

• Here's what I figured out:
    > Create a library of tweets in master threads.
    > Link to them instead of repeating yourself all the time.

This is me trying to explain it in a tweet, where I link to another tweet within a master thread:

1614612037167.png

Plans for March:
  1. Slow the feck down. It took me a couple of weeks to "get" the platform. I'm still there because I find it fascinating, have met great people, and my feed is very interesting with startup stuff.
  2. Be more intentional with my posting. Now I've figured out to link to "solutions" in my library, I can go searching for people with specific problems and go help them *and* link back to my library thread(s).
  3. Start doing Google Ads progress threads. Some people have been asking when I'll start those on Twitter. I've deliberately not for the moment while I figure the platform out, AND so I can build up some content that isn't just all about Google Ads (maaan, a purely Google Ads account would be pretty boring account to read).

TL;DR
  • Had fun.
  • Made friends.
  • Built relationships.
  • "Get" the platform now.
  • Can see me tweeting every day.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Twitter win this week:

Created a pinned tweet related to Google Ads.

A bigger account I was following mentioned how the Google Ads interface sucked. I replied and went about my day.

Someone who knows me from the forum replied to me saying something like “AAY! It’s andy Black from FLF!”.

Ended the day with 20 new followers.

Current profile on a mobile:

28924F58-E198-4A85-B28F-A75948591072.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm coming for you Twitter...

1615466975350.png

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I just don't use Twitter and dislike many of its advocates because they fit a certain "Silicon Valley business visionary" stereotype I abhor.
Hahahaha! Woke, socialist business owners? What a concept!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.