The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

F the BS: The Journey to Writing and Publishing My First Book

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Hey guys,

My name is Brandon and I'm currently 28 years old.

Over the last 5 or so years I've been privately journaling about my entrepreneurial experiences. (I have a journalism degree (never used it) and have always found writing enjoyable).

Right around that time, I also began reading self-help books.

The knowledge and insights that I've learned and implemented throughout the years have been life-changing for me to say the least.

Books such as TMF and Unscripted , the 4 hour work week, and think and grow rich, to stoicism reads like A Guide to the Good Life, to meditation novels from Eknath Easwaran, to books related to happiness and awareness have truly shaped my mindset and thoughts.

Simply put, I wouldn't be where I am today without them.

During this time I've also simultaneously built, bought and sold various online businesses (not for millions yet, but a few in the 6 figure and 5 figure range).

I'm passionate about business in general and growing businesses, but none of them that I've successfully started have ever been a true passion of mine.

About a month ago I decided to create my own newsletter where I divulge all of the insights that I've acquired over the years, in my own words. My sister gave me the push to do so as she is always telling me that I have knowledge that needs to be shared with others.

I gave myself a goal of writing a post each day (500-1000 words) for a month straight, and I'm proud to say that I was successfully able to achieve my goal (just finished the other day). Small wins, yes!

What I discovered during this month was how AMAZING this made me feel. It was like a brain dump of years of built up and stored information all coming back to the surface level. It was and still feels INCREDIBLE. I've honestly never felt better in my entire life.

I vastly underestimated the positive impact that writing about this stuff could give me. It's made me want to hold myself even more accountable and to remain fiercely loyal to continuing to learn more and to incorporate the knowledge that I gain into my life.

Being the entrepreneur and hustler that I am, I've now set my sights on writing and publishing a book related to my learnings and experiences. I recently started a thread where I asked MJ for some of his input and experiences on his journey to writing and publishing his books that you can read here.

I've began taking his insights, as well as others to start building my own community/brand. (My signature links to my newsletter (I've set it up to send subscribers 2 emails per week) as well as my Twitter account (I've been active on it for a few weeks now). Hope it's okay to mention those here!).

I have a handful of other marketing concepts and strategies that I plan to implement over the coming months, while I also focus on mapping out and getting deep into writing my book.

My plan is to not rush the writing. I will work on the book daily, as inspiration comes to me (which happens often, gift and a curse).

Without getting too much into detail, the book will be clear cut with zero fluff on discovering and becoming more aware, tapping into the potential of the mind, as well as taking control of life and going after what one desires most.

I'll update this progress thread as time goes on and would love feedback from anyone interested in offering any!

I'm here to answer any questions if there are any as well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Good luck and please let me know if you need any help or have any questions.

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Good luck and please let me know if you need any help or have any questions.

would love to speak further. can you PM me and we can share our contact details with each other?

richstone.io

API and Automation Engineer Growing SaaS
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jan 28, 2019
Barcelona
Nice introduction!
Just a little feedback:

You've left out what the very specific core of your writing is. Here, at the end, where I was near to get disappointed, you become a bit more specific.

But this still left me with the question if you have some sort of a niche/novel thought in your writings or what makes it different?

... the book will be clear cut with zero fluff on discovering and becoming more aware, tapping into the potential of the mind, as well as taking control of life and going after what one desires most.

This is not super catchy because it could also be the description of Think and Grow Rich.

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Nice introduction!
Just a little feedback:

You've left out what the very specific core of your writing is. Here, at the end, where I was near to get disappointed, you become a bit more specific.

But this still left me with the question if you have some sort of a niche/novel thought in your writings or what makes it different?

This is not super catchy because it could also be the description of Think and Grow Rich.

Hey!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You're definitely correct, I didn't share much detail on what the book will be about.

You can say that it will be a blend of a handful of really great books that I've read over the years, broken down into my own experiences and words, what has worked for me, etc. Think and grow rich is one of them for sure, but with a more modern spin to it, as well as a few twists that make it unique and separate it from other popular books that exist.

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
UPDATE:

It's been about a week since my first intro post.

I've taken the valuable insight from MJ's responses to my thread, as well as from others and have put together a creative framework/flow of how the book will be set up, and what topics it will focus on covering. It took a lot of thinking and rethinking to finally have a framework that makes sense and can truly yield results if followed and implemented.

In addition, I've ensured that what I'm focusing on is of relative value, is evergreen, is somewhat controversial/unique as far as the position/perspective I'm writing from to drill it home, and I've coined terms that could separate my ideas from others.

The process is certainly underway, and it feels fantastic to work on it every day.

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
UPDATE:

Lots of progress made over the last two weeks!

Really feeling good about the book thus far and the process and path I've taken.

Just set up a meeting with a local company that offers a few different service options. What I'm most interested in learning more about is the assisting and process with publishing, editing, book launching, etc.

The company is called Scribe (Scribe Book Publishing | Professional Publishing Services) and they seem pretty legit.

Has anyone ever heard of them?

I have a face to face with them this week to learn more about what they can offer me. My plan is to also have them review what I have thus far to get insight and feedback on the quality of the writing, as well as the structure and topic in general.

I've already learned a handful of key things from them just by getting on one call and them sending me more information about their services, others they've helped, etc. (This is something I do often when getting involved in new ventures, it's so simple to jump on a call with a competing service or a company you're potentially interested in hiring, just to extract free insight and information!)

What I've come to discover is that my goal for this book is to not just write it, but to use it as a platform to jumpstart a push towards helping to raise awareness and impact others on their potential and how they can take control of their life (what my book is about).

By writing this book and implementing strategies that I'm learning about, I can establish the credibility necessary to get the word out to the masses.

I'm also in the process of creating my own website, and uploading all of my previous written content (that's only been on my newsletter to date) onto it so that I can look more legitimate and established.

Lets go!!!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The company is called Scribe (Scribe Book Publishing | Professional Publishing Services) and they seem pretty legit.

Has anyone ever heard of them?

They're legit, but the charge extraordinarily high prices for something that you can easily do yourself. Their service maybe makes sense for a busy professional who wants to publish a book with as little time investment as possible. If you want to learn the industry, though, you should do it yourself.

persistencyiskey

F the BS
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Oct 18, 2017
Austin, TX
UPDATE:

After a handful of re-reads, editing and improving a few sections, I am confident that the book is ready for someone else to read it and provide feedback.

I've been trying to find a solid editor who specializes in self help book related editing.

Any suggestions?

Also, while that is underway I'm looking into starting the cover design process, any recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.