The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Writing my first book

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I started TMF four days ago and I finished it this morning. It was kind of a surreal hour actually. I woke up at 5:30, a half hour later than usual, and jumped out of bed. "I am already behind!" I thought. "Why didn't I set my alarm?"

I began my usual routine of drinking some coffee and reading when my mind got distracted with planning my day. I began mentally walking through my morning at work when I realized, ITS SATURDAY! Saturday means I get to be lazy and veg out all day! Maybe I'll go ride my bike, but I'll probably just sit in front of the 55inch 4k and play some Playstation. That isn't what I thought at all though. I wasn't flying back into bed like I would have done last weekend had this happened. The way I look at things has changed since I started reading TMF .

If I'm not going to work for someone else, then I'm going to work for myself. That was my thought and I couldn't have been more excited. I dove back into TMF and not long after that I read the last page. Very nice ending I must say. I set the book down and exhaled a long breath. "Now What?"
A flood of emotions hit me. Fear. "What am I going to do now?" Reading a book is easy, but taking action is a whole other ball game. You have to have things called ideas that tell you what to do...

I did what any average schmuck would do and went online in search of my answer. I knew that I couldn't rely on others to tell me the idea, I had to find it within myself. None the less I began browsing this forum. I have to say, this forum is really cool. It's full of people that want more. A lot of them are as clueless as me, I think, and there's nothing wrong with that! The important thing is that we are willing to try, and that is more than most people even realize is necessary to get anywhere in this life.

I clicked a random sub-forum and ended up in self publishing. I was curious about it as that is what MJ did and obviously it worked for him. I came across alpha1987's thread, a step by step guide to getting started with amazon kindle.

Here is My Step By Step Method To Make Money On Amazon Kindle!

I know some other users were giving him a hard time about it not being his original content, but he said it was, and frankly I don't really care who made it. I like the idea so I looked into it. The idea intrigued me because I have always enjoyed writing and I've always wanted to write a book. I followed his example and did a little research on a topic I know about and discovered that there is not a whole lot of quality content on my topic of choice. There is one that is ranked like 50,000 and it is long and expensive, but the other ones are short and only have a few reviews. I did a free trial of kindle so I could get the most popular book that is similar to the one I want to write for free and read it real fast. "Hell, I can do a lot better than this!" I thought. So began the process.

I have been writing for about nine hours now. Three outlines and a rough draft later and I am about to write my fourth outline. I am in the flow man. I have lost track of time and I don't even care. My playstation is sitting over in the corner collecting dust and, honestly, I'm thinking about selling it. I don't need it anymore. I have a place I want to be and it's a long ways away, and playing video games is not getting me any closer to it.

The cool thing about the specific topic I am writing about is that it is directly related to my 9-5 job, which is yet another business opportunity for me. My side business venture is helping me on my main business venture!

My goal is to sell enough to get a check cut from amazon eventually. I think the minimum is $100. Honestly, If I get one good review, I will thrilled. What is important to me is that I am in the process. I am learning new skills. I am applying my knowledge and building upon it. I am filling a need for those greedy, selfish consumers. I am producing something.

I can't lie, its been a roller coaster ride all day. Moments of doubt. Moments of excitement. A little fear. The fear is the residual doubt left over from a life in the slow lane. "This won't work."
"You can't do this." F*ck that noise. I just keep pushing past it and brushing it off. Knowing what I know now, I have no choice but to try, so onward I go. I should be done with this project in the next day or two. We will see where it goes!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I started this thread last night, and for a while I had a message saying it was waiting for approval before anyone else could see it. I am not sure if it has been approved but I'll update it anyway!

I was up until midnight last night outlining. My first outline was 3 pages. I wrote half of the rough draft and realized that I had no idea what my biggest competition was like, so I stopped, went online, and purchased the book that will be my biggest competitor.

I made a brief outline of it to better wrap my head around the content and then set out to do better.

The last out line I made was ten pages and I think it is nearing completion as far as main points I want to talk about.
I have paused in the writing process to learn more about self-publishing. It's great that I am learning on the fly. The information is going into my head and immediately being processed and used. No doubt, it's sinking in more than if I were just reading a book for the hell of it, which I have done a lot in my life.

Things I need to figure out:
Formatting
Book Title and description
Book Cover
Initial pricing - I'm thinking free just to get some downloads and reviews.
Marketting - how much time do I want to spend promoting my new book?
Future editting - It's so great that you can update your book after it is published. If it turns into something worth working on in the future I can continue to improve it over time.

The idea started out as a book but the farther I get, the more I realize that if the book is good enough, I can use it to help me sell my main business, as the focus of the book is how to hire the right company for the job. If i encompass all of the qualities I talk about in the book it's a great selling point! If I can give my client the value of educating them before I give they have the opportunity to hire us, I am already ahead of the game.

Onward I go. You don't realize how fast time goes until you are trying to get something done and the hours are slipping by!

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Congratulations on getting started! I am about 30k words into my first book myself so know the struggle to get started. I would say just start writing what you feel needs to be said and worry about the rest as you get a solid start. I didn't build a website or social media presence for the book till I was sure I had something going and was confident I would finish it. Search the threads for some self publishing details from some other members much more experienced and you can gleam some great ideas. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Congratulations on getting started! I am about 30k words into my first book myself so know the struggle to get started. I would say just start writing what you feel needs to be said and worry about the rest as you get a solid start. I didn't build a website or social media presence for the book till I was sure I had something going and was confident I would finish it. Search the threads for some self publishing details from some other members much more experienced and you can gleam some great ideas. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks man! Luckily for me the book I'm writing is focussed on a sub-niche and is something I am extremely familiar with. I have finished the outlines and will begin writing the real rough draft today. It's already taking longer than I expected but that's ok. It is really exciting to be realizing a dream I've always had of authoring a book while simultaneously making myself even better at a subject I'm already good at. I may even be creating an asset that will provide passive income someday but I'm not getting ahead of myself.

I just watched a youtube video on formatting and am excited how simple it can be done in Microsoft word. One thing I picked up from the video is the idea of having a website associated with it and promoting the website with the book. A website might be the next project after I get the book off the ground.

It's nuts how fast one idea can lead to another. I have so much to do! Better get back to work!

Cheers

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
Thanks man! Luckily for me the book I'm writing is focussed on a sub-niche and is something I am extremely familiar with. I have finished the outlines and will begin writing the real rough draft today. It's already taking longer than I expected but that's ok. It is really exciting to be realizing a dream I've always had of authoring a book while simultaneously making myself even better at a subject I'm already good at. I may even be creating an asset that will provide passive income someday but I'm not getting ahead of myself.

I just watched a youtube video on formatting and am excited how simple it can be done in Microsoft word. One thing I picked up from the video is the idea of having a website associated with it and promoting the website with the book. A website might be the next project after I get the book off the ground.

It's nuts how fast one idea can lead to another. I have so much to do! Better get back to work!

Cheers

Do any of you recommend a good book publishing software? I am in the process of writing a unique hardcover text (with full colour photographs within in) and was seeking a good program.

thanks

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Initial pricing - I'm thinking free just to get some downloads and reviews.

First off, congrats on your progress so far. I love your enthusiasm! About pricing, you could always price it low (like 99 cents or $2.99), and then enroll it in Amazon's Kindle Unlimited (KU) program. If your book is in Kindle Unlimited, you get a certain number of days (maybe 5?) where you can set the price for free to generate extra interest. Plus, you can make extra money when KU subscribers "borrow" and read your book. The downside is you'd have to be exclusive to Amazon. If you're interested in the Kindle Unlimited route, maybe google it for more info.

Either way, good luck as you move forward!

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
How will you be printing the hardcover book? I print/distribute through CreateSpace, and just use MS Word for the formatting and then convert to PDF for the final version uploaded to CreateSpace.

thank you a friend of mine suggested createspace as well. The content of my book shall not be easily replicated hence I do not wish to have a digital or pdf or ebook version. Just hardcover version for my niche audience

thanks

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
This post has turned into somewhat of a progress thread for me. A place to record my process of this particular project of writing my first book to share my experience and possibly grant insights along the way.

This project started off as a easy task in my mind. Spend a day or two writing a book really quick, get it on amazon kindle, make lots of money. Correction, I wasn't thinking lot's of money, but my goal was to sell one because if I could sell one, I could sell two, and three, and so on.

Over the course of the last four or five days it has spiraled out. The book has taken shape and is now focussed on a person in a particular situation, one that is in a position where they are thinking about spending a lot of money on something, but know nothing about it other than it costs a lot and they want it. My hopes now is to educate people in this position, helping them get more value out of their purchase and save them from a catastrophe brought on by their ignorance. Also it will be good for the industry, because there is a huge gap between the professionals and the clients. I relate it to talking to someone from the other side of a house. You are yelling over the roof and they can hear you, and you them, but there's a damn house in between you...

I no longer want to write a quick book. This has to be the go to book for this particular topic. It has to be the one that spreads by word of mouth across the community it relates to, otherwise it will just sit on amazon kindle like so many other books selling one book a month and slowly rotting away in the archives of amazon.

I've decided it has to be quality enough to tell other professionals that I know about it, otherwise it's a waste of my time. One of my clients is a successful author of writing guides used in schools across the country and I'm lucky enough to have gained her friendship. She offered to help me edit my book when I'm done. To me, this is going to not only help the book be better, but make me better as well. It's becoming a life enriching experience that is worth more than money and for that I am very grateful.

This book has given me something to work on day after day to stay focussed on developing the habits that will become my process, and eventually my lifestyle. I am overcoming the fear of going back to my slow lane/sidewalk, the very fear that has held me back for so much of my life. I look at failing like an accomplishment now because if I'm not failing, I'm not even trying... Back to work.

Anthony Mathapo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jan 12, 2015
South Africa
In case you need advice on book writing you should also look into Ryan holiday's advice on how to breakdown the process into parts.
I am currently using his tactic, which he got from Robert Greene...

1. COMPILE RESEARCH FIRST
2. WRITE CONCEPTS AND IDEAS ON INDEX CARDS
3. BREAKDOWN THE BOOK IN PARTS AND CHAPTERS
4. FILE YOUR RESEARCH AND DRAFTS IN A TUPPERWARE BOX (THIS MAKES YOU VIEW YOUR WORK AS A PROJECT)

Good luck,
the world is in need of knowledge...
Its our job to provide that

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
In case you need advice on book writing you should also look into Ryan holiday's advice on how to breakdown the process into parts.
I am currently using his tactic, which he got from Robert Greene...

1. COMPILE RESEARCH FIRST
2. WRITE CONCEPTS AND IDEAS ON INDEX CARDS
3. BREAKDOWN THE BOOK IN PARTS AND CHAPTERS
4. FILE YOUR RESEARCH AND DRAFTS IN A TUPPERWARE BOX (THIS MAKES YOU VIEW YOUR WORK AS A PROJECT)

Good luck,
the world is in need of knowledge...
Its our job to provide that

Thank you. I appreciate the information. I will look into the people you speak of.

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
Glad to hear the progress. I'm starting my first book as well and found that writing early in the morning helps for me. I wake up at 5:30, go to the gym to do cardio, take a cold shower, drink some coffee, play binaural beats and get to work. I also mentally check in by making sure I have no distractions, NO READING and remembering a time in my life I felt victorious. I try to recreate that feeling and get to work. Hope you get something from this! Good luck

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
One thing that works for me (for non-fiction) is to separate the content of the book from the writing of the book. First I generate the content, then I do the writing.

Specifically, I create a VERY detailed outline first. Basically, break down the book, chapter by chapter and section by section. I try to see the book as a textbook, and I think about how to organize the content in the way that I would teach it to someone. For example, with my flipping houses book, I started by creating a list of steps someone would take to flip a house -- ultimately I came up with 20 steps that take you through the entire process of finding, buying, rehabbing and selling a property. Those 20 steps became my 20 chapters of the book. Then I broke each chapter down into its constituent parts and wrote out the headings, sub-headings, sub-sub-headings, etc., within each chapter.

Once that's done, I can literally see the completed Table of Contents to see how well everything flows and to see if things make sense. Then, I start adding phrases/ideas into the sections as I think of them. Any little idea about the topic that pops into my head goes somewhere. If I think of something and can't figure out where to put it, I rearrange the outline as necessary.

Once I'm done with this, I typically have a 10-15K word outline that contains all the information in the book, just not written in paragraph form. At this point, I pretty much consider myself done with the content phase, and I move onto the writing phase.

Because all the information is there, I can jump in and start writing any section I feel like writing. I don't generally write in order -- whatever I'm thinking about that day is what I'll write about, and typically I'll leave the stuff that requires any research (or that I dread having to write) until the end. Writing in order makes editing simpler (for example, I don't have to worry about discussing an idea or using terminology I haven't yet introduced), but I find that writing in order can be difficult for me. Some days I feel like writing about some subject and not about another subject, and if I'm forced to write on a specific subject when I don't feel like it, it turns out crappy.

Because I don't write things in order, I generally have to go back afterwards and read/edit the entire book start to finish to make sure it flows and to make sure I'm not using ideas/terms I haven't introduced yet, etc. This make the editing a bit tougher, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff not having the order dictate what I need to write about each day.

For example, I'm nearly done writing my third book now. I'm dreading having to write Chapters 3 and 9 (they aren't very interesting to me, and require some research). If I had to write in order, I'd probably have stopped writing as soon as I got to Chapter 3. Instead, I've just been ignoring it, and now that I have 70,000 words written, it's easier to write those other chapters, as I'm motivated to get the book done.

Not sure if that made any sense or if it would actually work for anyone else, but thought I'd share, as it works well for me...

This is literally what i did. It's reminiscent of my college writing days.

As the subject of my book is something I know well I was able to write a general outline of most of the main topics in one sitting. I re-wrote the outline four times until it was complete. it ended up being about 12,500 words.

Then I sat down to write the rough draft which ended up being about 50,000 words. Basically I just looked at my outline and puked out a bunch of words through my fingers. It took about ten hours to get to the end. Right before I wrote the last paragraph I had an epiphany about how I can tie the entire book together. It's great because it will make the book different than the rest on this topic and it will make it understandable and relatable to the average reader.

I now have to sit down and re-write the entire thing with these main ties in mind. It's become quite the process and life has gotten more busy than usual. I am determined to finish and find that I write best first thing in the morning so I spend the first hour of each day on it. I foresee it taking me about a month to finish but the end result will be badass and very useful to people interested in this topic.

Thanks for your insights. I am curious about how your other books have gone? You say you are on your third. What was your experience releasing your first book? Any tips about self publishing and what to expect? I am totally new to this but I want to do it right.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
- Do your best to build an audience before you release the book

What do you think is a good way to do this?

This makes me think of creating a website or a blog? How did you promote your book before you released?

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Thank you very much @JScott for your encouragement and suggestions. I took you up on your offer of information and started a blog. The subject is a somewhat saturated market but most other blogs are just elegant sales pitches and attempts to play on the people's dreams, or what the writers think they are anyway. I spent some time learning wordpress and making some posts. I lost steam on it because I felt like my content wasn't better than anyone else's. I am clueless about how to get traffic from scratch so I think that is why I am discouraged, but upon reviewing this post and re-reading your responses I realize there is some content I can talk about that others aren't, the nitty gritty numbers. This put some wood in my fire, so thank you. P.S. I felt special when I saw your book at amazon and realized that you are a pretty successful dude, so I ought to heed your advice.

It's been a few weeks since I finished TFM. I bought the audiobook a few days later and have listened to it a few times while I work. My job includes days and weeks of manual labor so it's perfect time to listen to educational materials. I love TMF because I learn more every time I listen to it, and I am able to think about and relate to real world examples of what he talks about in the book as I'm working. Slowly but surely I am beginning to focus more on needs than money. It's hard to change that mindset. I literally feel the chemical makeup of my brain changing. It's so hard not to search for the next big event that is going to bring me riches, but that path only leads to discouragement and burnout. While I might not be able to see the process as clearly as I would like, I am in the thick of it, and keep trudging step by step towards the future.

I listened to a really great book yesterday called "Talking to Strangers". Upon scouring the forum in the morning I learned that the best way to discover needs is to talk to people and that was a huge eye opener for me. I realized that since I am somewhat of an introvert, I always put these types of activities on the back burner. I am more willing to spend hours researching adwords and building wordpress sites but going out and talking to people is uncomfortable to me and I avoid it. Luckily, in my work, I have spent the last few years serving hundreds of clients and have developed a lot of people skills and sales chops, I just didn't realize it. I am seeing the world in a new light now, one where everyone I come across is a learning opportunity and may possess a very key piece of information or a key connection for me. I have a lot of development to work through in order to make talking to people a habit, but I know it's something to work on so now I can focus on it.

I completed the second draft of my book and let a successful author friend of mine read it. She is going to help me make it better. I don't want to put some crummy piece of crap book out there. I already spent a lot of time on it, and if it's going to have my name on it, it needs to be quality. I don't want to release it unless it's something I am willing to sell to people in person. The old me would have published the first draft and wondered why I wasn't a millionaire after two days. The new me looks at this like something I need to finish and do right, before I move onto the next project.

I have to admit, my excitement has wavered a bit, and my passion is being tested. The sheer amount of information I have taken in over the last two weeks has overwhelmed me big time. I have spent many hours studying wordpress, adwords, online marketing, sales, business structures, real estate investment, land development, self-publishing, blogging, and of course, TMF . I wake up every day excited for the possibilities but this morning it hit me that I am all over the place and not taking as much action as i should be. Work has been extremely physically demanding this week and so the only time I have energized time to myself is from 5am to 7am. My girlfriend is feeling neglected and like she can't keep up. Hell, I feel like I can't keep up. There's no stopping this train though. It already left the station and I can't go back to my old way of thinking. My mind has changed and the course of my life changed as well. F*ck it's not easy, but I guess that's called a barrier to entry, so I better bust through it.

MitchM

Act. Then Adapt.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Nov 15, 2016
Atlanta, GA
Thank you very much @JScott for your encouragement and suggestions. I took you up on your offer of information and started a blog. The subject is a somewhat saturated market but most other blogs are just elegant sales pitches and attempts to play on the people's dreams, or what the writers think they are anyway. I spent some time learning wordpress and making some posts. I lost steam on it because I felt like my content wasn't better than anyone else's. I am clueless about how to get traffic from scratch so I think that is why I am discouraged, but upon reviewing this post and re-reading your responses I realize there is some content I can talk about that others aren't, the nitty gritty numbers. This put some wood in my fire, so thank you. P.S. I felt special when I saw your book at amazon and realized that you are a pretty successful dude, so I ought to heed your advice.

It's been a few weeks since I finished TFM. I bought the audiobook a few days later and have listened to it a few times while I work. My job includes days and weeks of manual labor so it's perfect time to listen to educational materials. I love TMF because I learn more every time I listen to it, and I am able to think about and relate to real world examples of what he talks about in the book as I'm working. Slowly but surely I am beginning to focus more on needs than money. It's hard to change that mindset. I literally feel the chemical makeup of my brain changing. It's so hard not to search for the next big event that is going to bring me riches, but that path only leads to discouragement and burnout. While I might not be able to see the process as clearly as I would like, I am in the thick of it, and keep trudging step by step towards the future.

I listened to a really great book yesterday called "Talking to Strangers". Upon scouring the forum in the morning I learned that the best way to discover needs is to talk to people and that was a huge eye opener for me. I realized that since I am somewhat of an introvert, I always put these types of activities on the back burner. I am more willing to spend hours researching adwords and building wordpress sites but going out and talking to people is uncomfortable to me and I avoid it. Luckily, in my work, I have spent the last few years serving hundreds of clients and have developed a lot of people skills and sales chops, I just didn't realize it. I am seeing the world in a new light now, one where everyone I come across is a learning opportunity and may possess a very key piece of information or a key connection for me. I have a lot of development to work through in order to make talking to people a habit, but I know it's something to work on so now I can focus on it.

I completed the second draft of my book and let a successful author friend of mine read it. She is going to help me make it better. I don't want to put some crummy piece of crap book out there. I already spent a lot of time on it, and if it's going to have my name on it, it needs to be quality. I don't want to release it unless it's something I am willing to sell to people in person. The old me would have published the first draft and wondered why I wasn't a millionaire after two days. The new me looks at this like something I need to finish and do right, before I move onto the next project.

I have to admit, my excitement has wavered a bit, and my passion is being tested. The sheer amount of information I have taken in over the last two weeks has overwhelmed me big time. I have spent many hours studying wordpress, adwords, online marketing, sales, business structures, real estate investment, land development, self-publishing, blogging, and of course, TMF . I wake up every day excited for the possibilities but this morning it hit me that I am all over the place and not taking as much action as i should be. Work has been extremely physically demanding this week and so the only time I have energized time to myself is from 5am to 7am. My girlfriend is feeling neglected and like she can't keep up. Hell, I feel like I can't keep up. There's no stopping this train though. It already left the station and I can't go back to my old way of thinking. My mind has changed and the course of my life changed as well. F*ck it's not easy, but I guess that's called a barrier to entry, so I better bust through it.

Good on you man. As far as you not feeling like you're taking enough action - you literally just wrote a book weeks after reading TMF. That is taking action. Relax and take a deep breath. You have a job that occupies your time as well as a relationship, so I am sure that it can't be easy to make time for everything. Also, the abrupt change in your mentality may make you feel like you've been missing out and have catching up to do, but this isn't a race.

You are talking about how your passion is being tested and you may be spreading yourself too thin - but I am living on savings right now and I am still being spread thin by all of the new information. It's just a part of the process. When you step into a foreign buffet with tons of food you've never had before you have to try them out to know what you like. Some food will taste like shit, but when you find something you like you'll eat it again the next time. The same thing is true in life and business. You start with failing, uncertainty, and too many choices but over time you end up with "the perfect plate" - so to speak.

Anyway, I hope things go well for you man. Keep us updated.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
the abrupt change in your mentality may make you feel like you've been missing out and have catching up to do, but this isn't a race.

Amen man this is exactly what I'm going through. I feel like I'm arriving to the game at half-time and need to play serious catch up.

When you step into a foreign buffet with tons of food you've never had before you have to try them out to know what you like. Some food will taste like shit, but when you find something you like you'll eat it again the next time. The same thing is true in life and business. You start with failing, uncertainty, and too many choices but over time you end up with "the perfect plate" - so to speak.

This is the best analogy for this situation. I am looking at all the food on the buffet and know I can never eat everything I see. I've got to look, smell, and feel what I'm looking at and then start taking bites. I think you're right, I'll find something that tastes good.

Thanks for the kind words MrSterlock.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.