The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Elon Musk acquires Twitter, Discuss

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
This is incredible. Talk about burning $44B to the ground.
I hope no one remains confused on how families can put so much hate and doubt on their own family members when they try to become entrepreneurs. We are all supposedly entrepreneurs ourselves on here and that hasn't stopped most from immediately doubting.

well.jpg

I'm no Elon fanboy and he may very well still fail at turning the ship around. But he is an accomplished entrepreneur and just look at how much doubt and hate he gets while going through the process from scratch.

It's been like 3 and a half seconds since he took over, will you give him a minute!

View: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590384919829962752?s=20&t=HR-kAFXj8TA5WmqBb7aTJQ

Sounds like an action plan and advice that would come straight from any top book on business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
I hope no one remains confused on how families can put so much hate and doubt on their own family members when they try to become entrepreneurs.

View attachment 45939

I'm no Elon fanboy and he may very well still fail at turning the ship around. But he is an accomplished entrepreneur and just look at how much doubt and hate he gets while going through the process from scratch.

It's been like 3 and a half seconds since he took over, will you give him a minute!

View: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1590384919829962752?s=20&t=HR-kAFXj8TA5WmqBb7aTJQ

Sounds like an action plan and advice that would come straight from any top book on business.
Elon himself is talking about bankruptcy days after buying Twitter. Those are his words, not mine.

Maybe Elon has different goals out of Twitter and is playing "4D chess" here. But it sure looks a whole lot like burning it all down.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Elon himself is talking about bankruptcy days after buying Twitter. Those are his words, not mine.

Maybe Elon has different goals out of Twitter and is playing "4D chess" here. But it sure looks a whole lot like burning it all down.

Find it hard to believe that he can run a company that builds electric cars and shoots rockets into space, but won’t be able to run Twitter.

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az

Whats your point? He isn't running the local mom/pop shop.

Bankruptcy is a tool in the tool shed for large companies that let them restructure debt. Dont forget that Twitter was always known as a very poor money maker (given it's value and influence). You are just repeating media talking points and even worse buying the script. Both Tesla and SpaceX are famous for previously being on the brink of bankruptcy at one or multiple points. That is part of the reason why he likes taking things private. He is able to do things that he wouldn't be able to do if he had public investors to be accountable to.

It's not about whether he is playing 4d chess. He is obviously shaking things up and trying to make major changes. That was made clear from the onset. Change is always difficult and comes with pains. He may very well fail, but unlike what family or media thinks, you aren't going to see that on day 3. Give him 5-10 years.

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I hope no one remains confused on how families can put so much hate and doubt on their own family members when they try to become entrepreneurs. We are all supposedly entrepreneurs ourselves on here and that hasn't stopped most from immediately doubting.

View attachment 45939

Thank you, exactly.

You don't get to become the type of person who can buy a $44 billion business outright by not knowing business.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
Thank you, exactly.

You don't get to become the type of person who can buy a $44 billion business outright by not knowing business.
I believe Elon here: "I don't want to be the CEO of anything."

I think his personality is all about going out and making stuff happen, and now he's being called before the SEC for using people from Tesla to help with Twitter and so on. He has to hate this -- dude just wants to get things done, and there's constant red tape. This is not his forte, and I don't blame him. It's a shame there are so many hoops to jump through.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I believe Elon here: "I don't want to be the CEO of anything."

I think his personality is all about going out and making stuff happen, and now he's being called before the SEC for using people from Tesla to help with Twitter and so on. He has to hate this -- dude just wants to get things done, and there's constant red tape. This is not his forte, and I don't blame him. It's a shame there are so many hoops to jump through.
He’s an entrepreneur, not a manager.

BBC news doesn’t understand this.

Most of middle class America doesn’t understand this.

I’d bet even some people on the fastlane forum don’t understand it

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think all the sour grapes is because a certain political party no longer has their main narrative engineering platform at their disposal. The largest hivemind will no longer be curated to a particular viewpoint.

So now it is search and destroy.

Sound familiar? Twitter is the new Trump. People don't want Twitter to succeed because it is a threat to the status quo. So if we go by the standard cultural playbook, it will soon be labeled racist, misogynistic, antisemitic and nationalist, if not already.

The partisan playbook is boringly predictable.

He is smoking them all out ha.

View attachment 45954

Since Twitter is all digital, I'm gonna guess it could be run with only 200 people on staff. And Musk knows it.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I think all the sour grapes is because a certain political party no longer has their main narrative engineering platform at their disposal. The largest hivemind will no longer be curated to a particular viewpoint.

So now it is search and destroy.

Sound familiar? Twitter is the new Trump. People don't want Twitter to succeed because it is a threat to the status quo. So if we go by the standard cultural playbook, it will soon be labeled racist, misogynistic, antisemitic and nationalist, if not already.

The partisan playbook is boringly predictable.

Since Twitter is all digital, I'm gonna guess it could be run with only 200 people on staff. And Musk knows it.
Agreed 100%, which is crazy because so far Musk has done nothing but move Twitter towards the center, if anything.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I love the new Twitter. I bought Twitter blue as soon as he announced it, and I’ve seen so many others do so. All the existing blue checks I’ve seen have also followed suit, despite all the shit they talked. People weren’t mad about impersonations or all the excuses they gave, they were mad that somebody like you and me could pay $8 and have the same privilege as them.

Elon generated a new revenue stream in less than a month of owning the company? And is clearly having fun playing with all the levers he’s got, including firing unproductive employees. I find it funny that the same entrepreneurs that were in other threads agreeing with the quiet quitter generation being lazy, but stand to defend these same phonies once Elon fires them.

Elon has been one of my heroes for a long time and that had been the case among most of my circle too. It truly is funny to see the mainstream flip their bias and see so many blindly follow suit. We were praising him just a couple of years ago, and as soon as he starts rightfully pointing out the political bias in the mainstream he is vilified.

I love Twitter and haven’t found a better platform for coming right up to speed with the happening. “News” is dead so I just check in with high integrity journalists and people I trust to rapidly get a wide ranging set of viewpoints on any topic. Get it straight from the horses mouth instead of waiting 2-3 days to hear a washed up opinionated propagandized NYT write up.

I suspect I’m not the only person that feels this way - because if you’ll note, all the haters are ON Twitter talking shit about it. Imagine gathering all of your friends and going to the public town square to express your discontent with the new public square and not see the irony in what you’re doing - IMO it speaks to just how brainwashed people have become.

Last note: I believe the paid check mark will truly help with bots. The number of scripted bots on TWT is astronomical because there is no cost to their being. This is the same mechanism blockchains use to prevent spam - by introducing a cost to participation you effectively reduce scripted behavior down to more advanced algorithms capable of generating value. (So a highly motivated scammer could still use this method to their advantage, but the troll/propaganda farms that spam our attention with falsehoods go to 0 when you search with filter:verified in your queries.)

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
I love the new Twitter. I bought Twitter blue as soon as he announced it, and I’ve seen so many others do so. All the existing blue checks I’ve seen have also followed suit, despite all the shit they talked. People weren’t mad about impersonations or all the excuses they gave, they were mad that somebody like you and me could pay $8 and have the same privilege as them.

Elon generated a new revenue stream in less than a month of owning the company? And is clearly having fun playing with all the levers he’s got, including firing unproductive employees. I find it funny that the same entrepreneurs that were in other threads agreeing with the quiet quitter generation being lazy, but stand to defend these same phonies once Elon fires them.

Elon has been one of my heroes for a long time and that had been the case among most of my circle too. It truly is funny to see the mainstream flip their bias and see so many blindly follow suit. We were praising him just a couple of years ago, and as soon as he starts rightfully pointing out the political bias in the mainstream he is vilified.

I love Twitter and haven’t found a better platform for coming right up to speed with the happening. “News” is dead so I just check in with high integrity journalists and people I trust to rapidly get a wide ranging set of viewpoints on any topic. Get it straight from the horses mouth instead of waiting 2-3 days to hear a washed up opinionated propagandized NYT write up.

I suspect I’m not the only person that feels this way - because if you’ll note, all the haters are ON Twitter talking shit about it. Imagine gathering all of your friends and going to the public town square to express your discontent with the new public square and not see the irony in what you’re doing - IMO it speaks to just how brainwashed people have become.

Last note: I believe the paid check mark will truly help with bots. The number of scripted bots on TWT is astronomical because there is no cost to their being. This is the same mechanism blockchains use to prevent spam - by introducing a cost to participation you effectively reduce scripted behavior down to more advanced algorithms capable of generating value. (So a highly motivated scammer could still use this method to their advantage, but the troll/propaganda farms that spam our attention with falsehoods go to 0 when you search with filter:verified in your queries.)
I did see one major problem with the new blue check system. I think it should be open to anyone that wants to be verified.... But they should actually get verified. In other words, they should have to prove they are who they say they are.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I did see one major problem with the new blue check system. I think it should be open to anyone that wants to be verified.... But they should actually get verified. In other words, they should have to prove they are who they say they are.

He did hint at something like that coming in the future. From a systems perspective, you can get effective results with a simple mechanism like an $8 fee. It’s a genius hack that takes almost no time to implement.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I think they should add text below the name and badge that says "verified" for those who are, and leave it blank for those who aren't.

Two tiers of blue checks... I think this might be coming, after he gets the initial wave of $$$ from signups.

This way Twitter, the company, gets to have its cake and eat it too (sales from both segments of buyers)

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I do still think Elon pretty much walks on water. But he has picked so many fights, he is still likely to lose ... eventually.

The $8 are a reasonable incentive in a benign environment, but implicating that these user are "now verified" ... with a very hidden disclaimer that they are "only verified in the sense that they paid money ...", that seems like a rookie mistake that he should not have made.

He has the whole establishment against him. He seemed to be aware of the risks when he talked about selling his luxury home(s) to get rid of an "attack vector" but then he went and created 20 new attack surfaces that are way worse.

I am worried that the establishment will easily find ways to slowly but surely ruin his companies and his reputation. Would like to know more about how high the stakes in the Tesla payout lawsuit are. That seems like a relatively big deal at first glance.

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
I think they should add text below the name and badge that says "verified" for those who are, and leave it blank for those who aren't.

Two tiers of blue checks... I think this might be coming, after he gets the initial wave of $$$ from signups.

This way Twitter, the company, gets to have its cake and eat it too (sales from both segments of buyers)
I mean at the end of the day it sounds like alot of messing about just to get back to where they started. Now the new check mark is having the words "verified" below your name instead of the check mark that can be bought by any random person or bot and you are back to where you started except it's more cluttered.. I recognize now they have bilked people for $8, but when you look at twitters valuation and cash flows...This is a very small revenue line compared to the rest of their income/expenses.

Twitter isn't like other content websites or social medias. Which is why I think they are having so much more trouble monetizing it. Other social medias need to bribe content creators to stay on their platform instead of going to a competitor. But with Twitter, places and companies need to be present on Twitter to stay relevant in the political/news sphere. So it's a completely different dynamic.

I think Twitters actual money maker is gatekeeping access to large audiences from very large creators. When I say very large creators, I mean corporations like NYT and multinational brands doing PR. Their business would be severely hurt if they were cut off. So I think they need to start charging accounts that have over X amount of followers for continued access to their audiences.

Who knows, he's just getting started. So maybe you are right and he went for the first thing that was easiest to change and plans to make alot more harder changes in the future. I guess we will see!

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I mean at the end of the day it sounds like alot of messing about just to get back to where they started. Now the new check mark is having the words "verified" below your name instead of the check mark that can be bought by any random person or bot and you are back to where you started except it's more cluttered.. I recognize now they have bilked people for $8, but when you look at twitters valuation and cash flows...This is a very small revenue line compared to the rest of their income/expenses.

Twitter isn't like other content websites or social medias. Which is why I think they are having so much more trouble monetizing it. Other social medias need to bribe content creators to stay on their platform instead of going to a competitor. But with Twitter, places and companies need to be present on Twitter to stay relevant in the political/news sphere. So it's a completely different dynamic.

I think Twitters actual money maker is gatekeeping access to large audiences from very large creators. When I say very large creators, I mean corporations like NYT and multinational brands doing PR. Their business would be severely hurt if they were cut off. So I think they need to start charging accounts that have over X amount of followers for continued access to their audiences.

Who knows, he's just getting started. So maybe you are right and he went for the first thing that was easiest to change and plans to make alot more harder changes in the future. I guess we will see!
The difference between my idea and where they started is that anyone would be able to get the checkmark and get verified...as opposed to before, where it was completely arbitrary.

Some of the verified folks before were totally unimportant - just friends with Dorsey or whoever. They had some kind of special connection or inside scoop on something.

In this case you'd have the blue mark (like being an INSIDERS on this forum) and then verification (saying you are who you say you are - not required) which is totally different than what it had before, which was again arbitrarily chosen experts

But yes I agree, they can monetize the big companies more!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
He has the money already, the Blue tick is much more about the first step in his push back on how nonsense and dangerous mainstream media has gotten.

Honestly, the guy has so much balls lol.

He went straight in and went to war. The blue tick move is probably one of the heaviest blows struck against “journalists” in years.

Great to see - mainstream media hates us. But they only win cause they have the platforms and credentials. So seeing things crumble in real-time under their feet is beautiful.

It’s too funny to see that all some of these journalists had to establish their authority is a blue tick they likely snuck 15k to someone for. Without the social proof they once had, they are now quickly becoming nobodies on their main news platform.

Also massive win too for everyone. We just avoided going to WWIII yesterday from fake news that probably would have been believed in an era without places like twitter.

Massive win for free speech here and decentralized and trustable news sources.

msufan

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Mar 13, 2013
1131.jpg

"I told you guys I was going to sink this place from the minute I walked in."

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Looks like most of the staff left/fired last night.

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 08.58.29.png

The next few days/weeks should be interesting.

If he can make it work (I think he can) then he will have reduced like 75% of the workforce and probably 1-2 billion in payroll expenses each year.

This is from back in October...

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 08.57.30.png
So going by those numbers 1/4 of the staff costs 800m a year.

So 3/4 gone should be 2.5 Billion a year cut.
Plus the costs that would go along with that.

It is crazy how bloated these businesses are.
Just a few weeks back there were some viral videos showing how lazy the attitude is.

^ Like 100000% odds these folks were getting fired once any kind of downturn came.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

View attachment 45977

If he can make it work (I think he can) then he will have reduced like 75% of the workforce and probably 1-2 billion in payroll expenses each year.

View attachment 45976

Just a few weeks back there were some viral videos showing how lazy the attitude is.

^ Like 100000% odds these folks were getting fired once any kind of downturn came.

Reminds me of WeWork... where no work was actually being done. Any of these companies who employ people to just F*ck around and drink coffee and Cabernet all day deserve to die, or blown up. Can you imagine hiring one of these people who came from this culture of doing nothing all day, and geting paid for it?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

View attachment 45977

View attachment 45976

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-voQsFY6SE

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
685%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Reminds me of WeWork... where no work was actually being done. Any of these companies who employ people to just F*ck around and drink coffee and Cabernet all day deserve to die, or blown up. Can you imagine hiring one of these people who came from this culture of doing nothing all day, and geting paid for it?
Hot take.....I don't think it is a coincidence that they are the same group of people that are extremely idological about the idea that people just luck their way into places based on their physical characteristics, parents, and other chance factors.....Likely a reflection of their own lives and that may in fact be the world they live in...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Watching the meltdowns on Twitter about Twitter and Elon is about amusing as it gets.

As I stated above, Twitter is the new Trump to hate-- for the media, for partisans, and for the "eat the rich" morons. This means, all rationality and critical thinking goes out the window, and all that remains is hate, envy, and glorious hopes of schadenfreude ... as if Elon has no experience in running a company... out with orange man bad... in with rocket man bad.

Out of curiosity, I've visited Twitter more in the last 7 days than I have in the last 10 years. I'm sure it will survive as some people think it's like watching a trainwreck, other's like me, are genuinely curious in the drama.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Watching the meltdowns on Twitter about Twitter and Elon is about amusing as it gets.

As I stated above, Twitter is the new Trump to hate-- for the media, for partisans, and for the "eat the rich" morons. This means, all rationality and critical thinking goes out the window, and all that remains is hate, envy, and glorious hopes of schadenfreude ... as if Elon has no experience in running a company... out with orange man bad... in with rocket man bad.

Out of curiosity, I've visited Twitter more in the last 7 days than I have in the last 10 years. I'm sure it will survive as some people think it's like watching a trainwreck, other's like me, are genuinely curious in the drama.
I'm genuinely curious too.

I'm most curious about whether Twitter will evolve into a video first platform, or if it's inherently about text messages.

I remember hearing Gary V years ago saying Twitter was the only genuinely viral social network or something similar. I don't fully understand what he meant. Is it because content can be retweeted and gets shared off the platform? I kind of see that on TikTok where people publish their reaction to someone else's video. Hmm... and reaction videos are a thing on YouTube too.

Elon is certainly not rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. He's making big moves, and fast. It's mind boggling how fast he's moving.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
1131.jpg

"I told you guys I was going to sink this place from the minute I walked in."
I think he was just showing off his strength. I bet over half of those die hard woke employees would not even be able to lift a sink, let alone know what to do if one needed fixing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.