The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Drug dealer in the slow lane looking for a change

cv621

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 22, 2022
Hi All,

I have read The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted . Both amazing books and I have no objections with the mindset that these books emphasize. Ideally that's where I want to be one day, living life on my own terms. I only wish I had read this book when I was younger before going to grad school.

A little about me,
I went through the typical slow lane route. I went to grad school and became a pharmacist at the age of 24, I am now 27 at the time of this post. To be fair, this job pays me a very modest salary (roughly 200k, for reference this is in California. Pharmacist Salary is actually on a decline YoY) and allows me to live comfortably. I was also able to buy a house during the pandemic with the record low interest rates. I currently househack my home and the rent received is enough to cover my mortgage (not including taxes).

For most of my friends the above lifestyle is what they dreamed of post graduation, but for me I know this is not nearly enough. I am grateful for my current situation, but I just don't want to become complacent. I also don't see myself working the same job for the next 30 years. I'm 3 years into my profession and can't stand the idea of working for another 30 years just to retire on a 401k and some real estate investments.

Recently, my job has mentioned that I could be losing hours coming up. I was actually excited to hear this news. This kind of felt like a sign that I now have a reason to go out and try new endeavors. The only question now is what to do. Currently browsing the forums for ideas, but ideally it would have to be selling a product/service. I've looked into high income skills and they seem interesting, but non of them stick out. The only one that peaks my interest is sales. (I got my loan license and did loans during the pandemic for extra income). I'm not to tech savy so everything else I'm reading or watching videos on seems to go in one ear and out the other.

If anyone has been in my situation or has any advice on how to proceed I would love to hear any input.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Whew, for a moment I thought you actually sold street drugs.

Welcome aboard. Finding a product/service to sell is the easiest part of the entrepreneurial equation. If you haven't yet, read up on value skew. Sounds like you think you need to reinvent the wheel... you do not.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Beautiful title. You already have what it takes to be a good copywriter.

Mathuin

Provide Relative-Value or Die Trying
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Dec 20, 2020
Belfast, Northern Ireland
A guy I know who sold weed would refer to himself as a "street pharmacist"

You guys are stealing each other's job titles lmao.

cv621

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 22, 2022
Whew, for a moment I thought you actually sold street drugs.

Welcome aboard. Finding a product/service to sell is the easiest part of the entrepreneurial equation. If you haven't yet, read up on value skew. Sounds like you think you need to reinvent the wheel... you do not.
Thanks for the reply. I will start looking into the Value skew!

cv621

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 22, 2022
A guy I know who sold weed would refer to himself as a "street pharmacist"

You guys are stealing each other's job titles lmao.
Haha yeah it’s a running joke. I have a friend who’s an actual pharmacist. But he makes more money being a street pharmacist. Very lucrative and follows the CENTS laws. Only violates the actual law

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Haha yeah it’s a running joke. I have a friend who’s an actual pharmacist. But he makes more money being a street pharmacist. Very lucrative and follows the CENTS laws. Only violates the actual law
It only violates the "actual law" because some morons in power decided that you can't do something to your own body that harms no one else, and probably does not even harm the user.

Good luck on your ventures!

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
638%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi All,

I have read The Millionaire Fastlane and Unscripted . Both amazing books and I have no objections with the mindset that these books emphasize. Ideally that's where I want to be one day, living life on my own terms. I only wish I had read this book when I was younger before going to grad school.

A little about me,
I went through the typical slow lane route. I went to grad school and became a pharmacist at the age of 24, I am now 27 at the time of this post. To be fair, this job pays me a very modest salary (roughly 200k, for reference this is in California. Pharmacist Salary is actually on a decline YoY) and allows me to live comfortably. I was also able to buy a house during the pandemic with the record low interest rates. I currently househack my home and the rent received is enough to cover my mortgage (not including taxes).

For most of my friends the above lifestyle is what they dreamed of post graduation, but for me I know this is not nearly enough. I am grateful for my current situation, but I just don't want to become complacent. I also don't see myself working the same job for the next 30 years. I'm 3 years into my profession and can't stand the idea of working for another 30 years just to retire on a 401k and some real estate investments.

Recently, my job has mentioned that I could be losing hours coming up. I was actually excited to hear this news. This kind of felt like a sign that I now have a reason to go out and try new endeavors. The only question now is what to do. Currently browsing the forums for ideas, but ideally it would have to be selling a product/service. I've looked into high income skills and they seem interesting, but non of them stick out. The only one that peaks my interest is sales. (I got my loan license and did loans during the pandemic for extra income). I'm not to tech savy so everything else I'm reading or watching videos on seems to go in one ear and out the other.

If anyone has been in my situation or has any advice on how to proceed I would love to hear any input.
Sounds like a great situation you are in, with an income to sustain you through funding, learning and experimenting on your next endeavor.

So your mortgage is paid for ... do you have any school loans? I am impressed that making $100 - 200+K you still managed to side hustle loans. Were you working as a pharmacist full time during that period?

What's your future vision and plan (if executed perfectly) would look like for the next 5 -10 -20 years?

Welcome to the boards and good luck!!

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
687%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
It sounds like you have the IDEAL job and background to take advantage of the process in my THREAD

cv621

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 22, 2022
Sounds like a great situation you are in, with an income to sustain you through funding, learning and experimenting on your next endeavor.

So your mortgage is paid for ... do you have any school loans? I am impressed that making $100 - 200+K you still managed to side hustle loans. Were you working as a pharmacist full time during that period?

What's your future vision and plan (if executed perfectly) would look like for the next 5 -10 -20 years?

Welcome to the boards and good luck!!
Unfortunately, the path of the slow lane I was sold came with a lot of student debt haha. I do owe 250k, which i'm not to worried about paying off. Leveraging real estate investments should help me accomplish this. Somehow after graduation, the interest has been deferred thanks to COVID (one good thing that come out of it). My take was that student loans allowed me to scale a lot quicker giving me access to a moderate income job, so I don't regret that.

I was doing loans part time, while I lessened my pharmacist hours down to maybe 24-32 hours per week during that period. The market was hot and I wanted to take advantage of it. I was calling clients before work, on my lunch, and after work. The days where I had closings and I was at my W2 were hectic to say the least.

Well in the immediate future, thinking one year out. I will have hoped to develop a skill or started a business that will allow me to scale down my hours in the pharmacy to 1 day a week (I still enjoy the job, just want to be able to work on my own terms lol). All the profits I make from said venture either go back into the business or invested into real estate to defer taxes.
I've also been taking sometime to travel more. If I'm able to work my business and travel that would be ideal. I'm trying to get in all these experiences before I turn 30 and look to start a family.

As for 10-20 years out, that's too far out to say. I am generally very optimistic, but only time will tell. :)

cv621

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 22, 2022
It sounds like you have the IDEAL job and background to take advantage of the process in my THREAD
Thanks for the response! I actually just recently read through that post. Thank you for writing it. It's really had my brain thinking in overdrive. I really just need to set a time out to sit and think it out.

I really appreciate the perspective. @MJ DeMarco told me to focus on the Value Skew and your post perfectly defines that.

The biggest roadblock for me has been that I wanted to look for something that I can add Value to in areas that I know. Realistically my life right now consists of Working out, Pharmacy work, and some traveling. I'm been wracking my brain about how to add value to a pharmacy system, but everything is so corporatized and independent pharmacies don't make a good market due to their lack of scale. I will reread your post and get back to the drawing board. Worst comes to worst, I'm okay with the idea of doing something outside of my scope.

cv621

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 22, 2022
What do you think about Mark Cuban's Pharma company?
Haven't read to much into it, But from what I heard it's actually a benefit to patients because of all the cost savings. Drugs are so expensive to begin with. It seems like the model aims to target people with no insurance or insurance copays being to high. Ideally price cutting, but for the greater good. He makes money and people save money. Kinda like Robin Hooding companies like CVS haha.

Keith15203

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Jan 19, 2021
Virginia
Welcome to the forum.

I'm an Associate Professor of Medicinal Chemistry in a School of Pharmacy similarly looking for a way out of the W2 world. I also invest in real estate.

Let me know if you want to chat or bounce ideas off each other

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
687%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Thanks for the response! I actually just recently read through that post. Thank you for writing it. It's really had my brain thinking in overdrive. I really just need to set a time out to sit and think it out.

I really appreciate the perspective. @MJ DeMarco told me to focus on the Value Skew and your post perfectly defines that.

The biggest roadblock for me has been that I wanted to look for something that I can add Value to in areas that I know. Realistically my life right now consists of Working out, Pharmacy work, and some traveling. I'm been wracking my brain about how to add value to a pharmacy system, but everything is so corporatized and independent pharmacies don't make a good market due to their lack of scale. I will reread your post and get back to the drawing board. Worst comes to worst, I'm okay with the idea of doing something outside of my scope.
As a pharmacist, I imagine you encounter some variation of the following all the time: "Oh I don't know, I've been doing X or taking Y and it's been helping my Z". I was planning on becoming a pharmacist at one point, so I was a pharm tech for a short stint of time. I definitely saw conversations like this.

Or maybe it could be a variation of "I love X. It helps with my Y so much... I only wish it didn't do Z to me." These types of statements are all opportunities in disguise.

Think of it like this.... Before SeaBand Wristbands for nausea were a real retail item, it was hearsay for a very very long time that acupuncture at the wrist could alleviate nausea symptoms. Seabands took advantage of a variation of "I've been doing X or taking Y and it's been helping my Z" and made it into a retail item. Long before there were conclusive studies on it. There STILL aren't conclusive studies on it.There have been studies going both ways on it's effectiveness, and then meta-studies every few years contradicting each other......But if you have met those that claim they work, many swear by these things! They ultimately do not care if it turns out to be placebo or not (what the studies are trying to dissect.) They are just happy to pay X for Y result, regardless of mode of action. As a consumer, this is true of all of us. When I take Ibuprofen, I don't care which pathway or receptor it's binding to. I care that my pain lessens. They are that before they would get seasick, now with this magical wristband they no longer get sick sick. If you have ever been seasick, you would know how enormous that value add is.

Being a pharmacist is ideal, not because you know the pharmacology of drugs which gives you some special insight into mechanisms and manipulating them. I mean congrats and all, but if that's all it took, Pfizer wouldn't need to invest billions. It's literally just because of your unique position of hearing peoples complaints, solutions, and ramblings WHILE having the mindset of entrepreneur. It's your job as an entrepreneur to solve the complaint of the struggling person in front of you.

Last edited:

cv621

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 22, 2022
As a pharmacist, I imagine you encounter some variation of the following all the time: "Oh I don't know, I've been doing X or taking Y and it's been helping my Z". I was planning on becoming a pharmacist at one point, so I was a pharm tech for a short stint of time. I definitely saw conversations like this.

Or maybe it could be a variation of "I love X. It helps with my Y so much... I only wish it didn't do Z to me." These types of statements are all opportunities in disguise.

Think of it like this.... Before SeaBand Wristbands for nausea were a real retail item, it was hearsay for a very very long time that acupuncture at the wrist could alleviate nausea symptoms. Seabands took advantage of a variation of "I've been doing X or taking Y and it's been helping my Z" and made it into a retail item. Long before there were conclusive studies on it. There STILL aren't conclusive studies on it.There have been studies going both ways on it's effectiveness, and then meta-studies every few years contradicting each other......But if you have met those that claim they work, many swear by these things! They ultimately do not care if it turns out to be placebo or not (what the studies are trying to dissect.) They are just happy to pay X for Y result, regardless of mode of action. As a consumer, this is true of all of us. When I take Ibuprofen, I don't care which pathway or receptor it's binding to. I care that my pain lessens. They are that before they would get seasick, now with this magical wristband they no longer get sick sick. If you have ever been seasick, you would know how enormous that value add is.

Being a pharmacist is ideal, not because you know the pharmacology of drugs which gives you some special insight into mechanisms and manipulating them. I mean congrats and all, but if that's all it took, Pfizer wouldn't need to invest billions. It's literally just because of your unique position of hearing peoples complaints, solutions, and ramblings WHILE having the mindset of entrepreneur. It's your job as an entrepreneur to solve the complaint of the struggling person in front of you.
Holy shit. Thank you, I've been looking at it from the wrong perspective. This is exactly what I needed... I'm sure there's tons of regulatory that goes with OTC's, but this is a good start for me. Maybe it's time I take more time during my OTC consults to hear what the market is trying to tell me rather than give my automatic responses learned in school.

I really appreciate this response.

CurlyRX

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jan 23, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Hi All,

A little about me,

Pharmacist here as well, from Cali. Curious how you make 200k? Are you in retail? You must be doing crazy OT

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hi All,

A little about me,

What do you think about the market for prescription drug replacement?

A lot of businessmen, students and athletes take modafinil for example. These are the drugs that are illegal to sell without prescription, but there is nothing stopping people from making an online order from India. Basically relevant health science authorities are warning people not To abuse them (not illegal to buy without prescription but “you could die” kind of warning messages).

If someone can create effective performance enhancing substance, and could be sold without prescription like coffee, that could be a good market. What do you think about it?

And what do you speculate about government’s attitude towards “performance enhancing drugs”? In theory drug abuse for pleasure makes someone go out of job, commits crimes and becomes a liability for the society. It sounds funny but shouldn’t governments around the world be supportive towards performance enhancing drugs (cheating in sports excluded) for people who want to boost academic and work productivitiy and contribute more to the economy and taxes?

cv621

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 22, 2022
Pharmacist here as well, from Cali. Curious how you make 200k? Are you in retail? You must be doing crazy OT
Retail, rarely any OT. There is a role I can switch to that allows OT where I could make probably $350k but that would be me working 60 hours a week(not a great return on my time). Jobs are out there .

cv621

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 22, 2022

A lot of businessmen, students and athletes take modafinil for example. These are the drugs that are illegal to sell without prescription, but there is nothing stopping people from making an online order from India. Basically relevant health science authorities are warning people not To abuse them (not illegal to buy without prescription but “you could die” kind of warning messages).

If someone can create effective performance enhancing substance, and could be sold without prescription like coffee, that could be a good market. What do you think about it?

And what do you speculate about government’s attitude towards “performance enhancing drugs”? In theory drug abuse for pleasure makes someone go out of job, commits crimes and becomes a liability for the society. It sounds funny but shouldn’t governments around the world be supportive towards performance enhancing drugs (cheating in sports excluded) for people who want to boost academic and work productivitiy and contribute more to the economy and taxes?
Performance enhancing drugs with the potentioa risk of abuse or overdose just sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen lol. Kind of like how most fat loss medications arn’t going to be imported budget steroids. They have to be safe to consume or FDA would not approve

NeoDialectic

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
687%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az

I'm not sure if I am just misunderstanding what you are saying, but it is definitely illegal to buy prescription drugs that you don't have peracription for overseas and getting it delivered to the usa.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi All,

A little about me,

Welcome.

I'm reminded of this thread:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.