The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a video games business from scratch

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Quick update.

I didn't do much work in the last few days, specially now that I'm on holiday with family. Last time we had such a great family time together was one year ago, so I'm trying to make the most of it, and only work sometimes in the mornings.
I managed to put a few minutes/hours here and there though, and actually made good progress compared to the time invested. I'm going to make sure I don't have any 0% days, even 20-30 minutes of focused work can move the needle forward. The more I do this, the more I believe it's not about putting a lot of time, but quality, focused time (actually, the guy on the video above says he feels barely as productive with 40 hours/week as he was when he only had 10 hours/week when working at a day job). I wish I could do both focused and long time though :)

I've started working on the premium subscription stuff, but still far from being completed. Also polished some UI (form validations) that I felt needed to be there given the low amount of time they required to implement. I'm still aiming to at least finish the app by the 31th of January. Then, I'll have the release, which will take another good chunk of work, so my initial 3 months' plan didn't go as expected. Also, I'll (hopefully) have to keep working on the app if I get some users, so it doesn't look like I'll be "done" anytime soon. I'd really like to take a months break and make a game prototype or join some game jams for fun, or compose some music, but it'll have to wait.

I've tracked my time, so I've checked and I've worked around 130 hours on this app since I got started in late September. I had some health problems going on and tracked 4 blank weeks, but still feels like barely 10 hours/week average. Not much. I didn't work very efficiently design-wise, but gained good design skills I'll reuse later either on apps or games. Next time I'll make sure I'm leaner though for the MVP, I could have saved time if all I wanted was to ship the app with an average, less brand-y design.

I wrote my Why down a few months ago. It's quite personal, but might share it here as an extra reminder/accountability tool. It helps me a lot when I start procrastinating or thinking about remote job + hobbies (a.k.a. back to the scripted mindset). It's too easy to get comfortable and forget about the future.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Not much to say this month either. I had a pretty stressful time with my consulting work, so the last thing I wanted at home was to code. There's been a few problems (mainly pretty bad anxiety) in the meantime, so adding more into the plate was not a good idea.

I spent a good part of this weekend playing video games (I used to play 30-60 minutes every week or two, not hours and hours) and then feeling bad about it afterwards. And about all those hobbies I want to buy my freedom back to enjoy? Nothing. At the beginning, I didn't get why, but now I'm seeing a few problems that might mean mild depression:
  • Anxiety.
  • Low energy (except for working out in the evenings, but even that sometimes doesn't happen).
  • I can barely look into nice, even potentially useful, hobbies that require some effort, such as drawing, making music, etc. I rather go for time wasting ones like series or video games.
  • I definitely got to loose my passion for programming. This is concerning and unbelievable. I'm even thinking about other ventures that don't involve coding at all, as I can't imagine myself spending more time on it than the minimum required to make a living.
  • Feeling like I'm doing all of these for nothing, as if it wasn't worth it anymore. This is even more concerning... I know that entrepreneurship is the way to go, but now it feels pointless, and seeing time passing and feeling guilty about not achieving much is hitting me hard.
I might just need a proper break and stop pressuring myself.

peterb0yd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 30, 2019

I like to give one last push before giving up on a project.

Here's the thing, if you can make this successful, you won't be doing much of the coding at all. Only the strategy and/or marketing.

I recommend setting up a sweet landing page with a sign-up form for the waiting list. Practice marketing the game by explaining the story and building interest.

I'm not an expert in this field, but I'll tell you this from experience. Building a cool game, launching it, spending $10 a month on ads, then praying for it to take off is basically gambling your time away.

I haven't read all of your posts in this thread, but I understand this mindset well because I built a game in this fashion right out of college.

Guess what happened? Nothing. I knew nothing about game-marketing. I ended up removing the paid version, removing the ads, and just giving the game away for free. I thought that might boost conversions.

Wrong!

Building indie games is great, but knowing how to market them is more important.

If you focus on that for a week or two and start seeing people sign up for your waiting list, that might get you back on track to finish the thing.

Just don't stop marketing!

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
Not much to say this month either. I had a pretty stressful time with my consulting work, so the last thing I wanted at home was to code. There's been a few problems (mainly pretty bad anxiety) in the meantime, so adding more into the plate was not a good idea.

I spent a good part of this weekend playing video games (I used to play 30-60 minutes every week or two, not hours and hours) and then feeling bad about it afterwards. And about all those hobbies I want to buy my freedom back to enjoy? Nothing. At the beginning, I didn't get why, but now I'm seeing a few problems that might mean mild depression:
  • Anxiety.
  • Low energy (except for working out in the evenings, but even that sometimes doesn't happen).
  • I can barely look into nice, even potentially useful, hobbies that require some effort, such as drawing, making music, etc. I rather go for time wasting ones like series or video games.
  • I definitely got to loose my passion for programming. This is concerning and unbelievable. I'm even thinking about other ventures that don't involve coding at all, as I can't imagine myself spending more time on it than the minimum required to make a living.
  • Feeling like I'm doing all of these for nothing, as if it wasn't worth it anymore. This is even more concerning... I know that entrepreneurship is the way to go, but now it feels pointless, and seeing time passing and feeling guilty about not achieving much is hitting me hard.

Really feeling you. This is just temporary. If you are smart and keep working on your mindset you'll eventually find your way. It's part of the learning process.

1. The book "Atomic Habits" spoke about trying as much as possible in the beginning of the journey. If you are lacking in time however you should focus on your strenghths and what already works and capitalize on it.
2. What meaningful work can you do?
Meaningful work=Impact.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
One thing that helps me... I find this with writing, coding, or other things that take some brain power to get started with. Before you try to actually "do" anything, sit down and make a list or outline of what you're going to do. If you're trying to get your motivation back, keep it really small. I don't know why it helps, other than that after you make a short list, you can just follow the list. It's easier to motivate yourself to step through a discreet number of list items than to "accomplish" something. But then you end up getting stuff done. Maybe it will help. Good luck :)

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Don't beat yourself over playing games.

I was trying to cut off all entertainment in my life assuming that time would be spent better on building business.

I was feeling bad and was really non productive despite devoting whole time to biz.
Then this happened.
I watched some movie - i think avengers franchise or something.
After that i felt refreshed, open minded and eager to do more on biz.

I realized that entertainment even so mindless (sorry Avengers fans ;) ) has its place in life and is actually beneficial to biz process.
Cutting it off totally is like cutting one vital substance from a tree - it will live but it won't grow.

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
It would be a shame for you to quit but I understand when your body needs a break. I would definitely prioritize getting the anxiety and mental health in order first. Have you visited a doctor? Therapist? Hotlines or websites? Any other form of treatment? I think tackling that would set up a positive domino effect to get you back into the swing of things.

As far as work, is there absolutely anything you can outsource? Even getting one simple task off your to-do list would probably ease the burden. You certainly have encouragement here on the forums. I wouldn't feel guilty about playing video games. Its a huge stress relief for me (not so much in playing Dark Souls) and you play at a reasonable duration.

As far as working out, what is your diet? What is your style of working out? It seems the field is going more into short yet intensive workouts instead of pumping iron for an hour straight. Depending on your goals, tailor your workout to get the maximum benefit in 15 minutes or so. Diet can play a huge role in your mood although I think a majority of the lethargy is from mental health. Are you getting the right fuel? I know the food and diet folks can chime in here.

Just my two cents. In the wise words of a classic video game "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this."

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Here's my fiddy cents because I'm on ongoing treatment for both so I know exactly how you feel. Happens to me all the time. I can only speak for myself and MY experience but see if you can relate to some of the stuff...

Mostly I have a background in which my parents would always make me feel my achievements weren't enough. I'd bring home a B in math which was like awesome cause I'm not a numbers person and I'd get a "well it could have been an A" as a response. Far from "pushing me" it was more of a continuous, daily pattern of never being enough which is very different. Ofc they would tell all our acquaintances how proud they were of me but when talking to me it could have always "been better"... well now I'm a perfectionist and my fear of failure and to be uncomfortable not knowing stuff and practicing until I know it is so strong it took me forever to manage it a bit. Having a controlling partner didn't help, again I had to be walking on eggshells to not "mess up" to avoid triggering aggression. So a total recipe to never start, give up if it looks anything less than 5 stars, not look for feedback to not look stupid, etc. I get a lot of impostor syndrome because when I do achieve things I discount the hard work as hard work (like it should have come easier) OR if I procrastinated or took me longer than I had planned I discount the work as luck or I'll find some excuse.

A lot of times, when you feel "what's the point" "meh": it's not lack of motivation but rather fear disguised. Fear of failure, fear of criticism, fear of putting your product out there and not getting the response you want. If you are anything like me one bad experience really sets you back because it sort of "validates" all your insecurities. Then of course you feel bad either way, and the cycle repeats.

There's a book called The Artist's Way which is to kind of unblock yourself through a 12 week thing of exercises, and one of the main tasks is to write three pages every morning. Total brain dump. You can just write "I don't know what to write" and that'll do. For me it will usually be all the stuff floating in my head at the same time, for you it might be different. This makes room in your mind. It may seem silly but boy does it make a difference. Please give it a try.

The other task is to take me-time, at least once a week, alone. Since it's aimed for creatives you are supposed to do anything that will fill that newly made space in your mind with inspiring, feel-good stuff from where creativity draws from, but honestly it's just "me-time" doing stuff you enjoy and calms you down. The kind of stuff you inner kid wants to do, and not be scolded.

Like someone up there said, you need to disconnect, making yourself feel guilty of not hustling 24/7 when you aren't that type of person is setting yourself up for failure. For some people doing that is their me-time. For you is playing videogames, so be it. I actually just pre-ordered the Animal Crossing Edition of the Switch coming in March, went halfsies with my bf, 1) because there's a ton of co-ops we can play with his kids on the weekend and have fun together --we still got quite a bit of cold days ahead anyway--, 2) to play Animal Crossing and have a second thing to do when drawing isn't an option, big plus the soundtrack is relaxing AF.

Most of the time I "meh" at turning on the TV, I "meh" at turning on the XBOX, I "meh" at sitting down on my desk to sketch, and then I end up browsing Reddit and going to bed at 8... might as well had just played Fallout and deco my camp and enjoyed that time, even that is more intentional than scrolling through memes. It's like you build a debt with yourself of doing stuff you like because you guilt yourself about it. At some point you made up your mind about "what you should be doing" and if you don't live up to it you punish yourself. Even when it doesn't come from someone else, you make up "the standard" yourself.

Finally: I've got two friends that made an indie game, they worked full time in my friend's garage and pretty much lived there and it STILL took them three years to finish (It's called Trials of Azra if you wanna check it out, on Steam). And they worked their butts off on the marketing, posting on social media, going to expos with the demo, getting guest posts and mentions in blogs, etc. etc. I realized recently I know NOTHING about marketing and how important it is. I probably been underestimating it all this time. So be patient, it's not just coding and putting it out there and that's okay. It's a big enterprise. It will take time. Block time to code a bit and block time to play games. Work Hard but also Play Hard. Get there in one piece, you know. Don't compare yourself to others' processes.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I literally just got the regular Switch for the boo on her birthday a week prior to the Animal Crossing Switch announcement :frown:

giphy.gif

You can't return it and pre-order this one? The dock is sooo cute! D: They don't give you 30 days to return it? Like if it was me I'd gladly say yes please and wait a month lol

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia
giphy.gif

You can't return it and pre-order this one? The dock is sooo cute! D: They don't give you 30 days to return it? Like if it was me I'd gladly say yes please and wait a month lol
I may be able to but honestly she loves it regardless and probably won't be able to wait for a month. Gonna be a fun day for both of us since Doom Eternal also gets released :devil:

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Wow, how many replies! :eek: Thanks a lot. This is an amazing place where people try to help and cheer you up when needed (or to slap you if needed too, ha).

I'll try to get through each answer between today and tomorrow.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
I like to give one last push before giving up on a project.

Here's the thing, if you can make this successful, you won't be doing much of the coding at all. Only the strategy and/or marketing.

I totally agree with marketing, it's a key piece nowadays. I've been learning a bit on my own actually, as it's quite interesting too.

I usually don't mind, and even prefer, doing coding. It's just that something it's going on and I've burned out and lost the interest. That's why I believe there is a deeper issue here.

I recommend setting up a sweet landing page with a sign-up form for the waiting list. Practice marketing the game by explaining the story and building interest.

I'm not an expert in this field, but I'll tell you this from experience. Building a cool game, launching it, spending $10 a month on ads, then praying for it to take off is basically gambling your time away.

I haven't read all of your posts in this thread, but I understand this mindset well because I built a game in this fashion right out of college.

Guess what happened? Nothing. I knew nothing about game-marketing. I ended up removing the paid version, removing the ads, and just giving the game away for free. I thought that might boost conversions.

Wrong!

Building indie games is great, but knowing how to market them is more important.

If you focus on that for a week or two and start seeing people sign up for your waiting list, that might get you back on track to finish the thing.

Just don't stop marketing!

I've seen the landing page approach for mobile apps, but never for games. Not saying that's not viable, but games usually require much more art work than apps to put a mockup live and see whether people sign-up.

When I tried this approach for an app, I just got quite fed up with all the stuff I had to do just to collect emails (mainly GDPR). I found it ridiculous, and given that the app was more than half-way done, I just carried on, as mobile apps don't really require a landing page even when they are released (app store pages act as landing page and get most of the traffic AFAIK). Also, someone on this forum who makes mobile apps for a living now recommended me to just release it. My problem has been the lack of lean development: I went into designing a cool app instead of using the native design guidelines, and things just took too long and then other stuff happened and just lost the momentum.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Really feeling you. This is just temporary. If you are smart and keep working on your mindset you'll eventually find your way. It's part of the learning process.

I read a few books on this recently. I don't get why I'm not applying that now...

1. The book "Atomic Habits" spoke about trying as much as possible in the beginning of the journey. If you are lacking in time however you should focus on your strenghths and what already works and capitalize on it.

That was a great read actually, I read it last year. It's been useful to build some habits.

I agree about focusing on my strengths. Time is too limited, and now willpower as well, lol.

2. What meaningful work can you do?
Meaningful work=Impact.

This is the cryptic part I usually miss in most of your messages :)

I'd say, making something people really want to use because it makes an impact on their lives.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
I read a few books on this recently. I don't get why I'm not applying that now...

That was a great read actually, I read it last year. It's been useful to build some habits.

I agree about focusing on my strengths. Time is too limited, and now willpower as well, lol.

I'd say, making something people really want to use because it makes an impact on their lives.
Hey

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1WTP4Q7KGE

No words needed.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
One thing that helps me... I find this with writing, coding, or other things that take some brain power to get started with. Before you try to actually "do" anything, sit down and make a list or outline of what you're going to do. If you're trying to get your motivation back, keep it really small. I don't know why it helps, other than that after you make a short list, you can just follow the list. It's easier to motivate yourself to step through a discreet number of list items than to "accomplish" something. But then you end up getting stuff done. Maybe it will help. Good luck :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I think it helps because shorter lists are focused and don't overwhelm our brains. Before Christmas, I actually used to make a short list of work and study, and worked pretty well.

Also, I watched this video a few months back and was amazing. Basically, just jump on the thing and you'll get started, which is the most difficult part:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGF5Hs_qq2Q

For some reason, and even knowing how easy it is, I can't even be bothered with getting started at the moment. I can barely make through the day on my consulting work, so I can't even think of working more at home.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Don't beat yourself over playing games.

I was trying to cut off all entertainment in my life assuming that time would be spent better on building business.

I was feeling bad and was really non productive despite devoting whole time to biz.
Then this happened.
I watched some movie - i think avengers franchise or something.
After that i felt refreshed, open minded and eager to do more on biz.

I realized that entertainment even so mindless (sorry Avengers fans ;) ) has its place in life and is actually beneficial to biz process.
Cutting it off totally is like cutting one vital substance from a tree - it will live but it won't grow.

Play time is very important for productivity, and has been researched enough to make this a fact. Some people even recommend cutting those 30 minutes a day (or a week) and invest that time on something "useful", but most people can't do that without going nuts. That's not how brains are wired up.

The best way I found to make everything work was time blocking. That way, play/leisure time is there for you to enjoy without feeling guilty, and work time is still there too. It works for me quite well.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
It would be a shame for you to quit but I understand when your body needs a break. I would definitely prioritize getting the anxiety and mental health in order first. Have you visited a doctor? Therapist? Hotlines or websites? Any other form of treatment? I think tackling that would set up a positive domino effect to get you back into the swing of things.

I haven't asked for help, as I never had really bad depression (moderate at most, and that was at a very particular time of my life that won't repeat again). I'm quite good at kicking my own a$$ when needed. I hope all of this will go back to normal soon.

As far as work, is there absolutely anything you can outsource? Even getting one simple task off your to-do list would probably ease the burden. You certainly have encouragement here on the forums. I wouldn't feel guilty about playing video games. Its a huge stress relief for me (not so much in playing Dark Souls) and you play at a reasonable duration.

I could outsource stuff like marketing, but if I don't really have anything to market, that'd be difficult :) Also, sometimes I feel like the time it takes to get someone else up to speed is longer than just doing things myself. Not always, of course, but for most small things I think it's even counterproductive. But I'll get to a point where I rely on others to do most of the work.

The problem with video games is that at the moment it feels like a escape more than a sparing stress relief. But anyway, things will get back to normal eventually.

As far as working out, what is your diet? What is your style of working out? It seems the field is going more into short yet intensive workouts instead of pumping iron for an hour straight. Depending on your goals, tailor your workout to get the maximum benefit in 15 minutes or so. Diet can play a huge role in your mood although I think a majority of the lethargy is from mental health. Are you getting the right fuel? I know the food and diet folks can chime in here.

Just my two cents. In the wise words of a classic video game "It's dangerous to go alone! Take this."

I have some sort of Mediterranean diet (whole grains, legumes, fruits, veggies, some yogurt and cheese, some fish, little -red- meat, even less sugary crap). Mediterranean diets are repeatedly on top of the rankings, and I've seen how well they work in the long-term. I don't think my diet has anything to do with my problems, as it's pretty much the same diet as when I was full of energy before Christmas (apart from now eating more, as I'm trying to gain some weight).

As for work out, I do a mix of cardio, pilates exercises, push-ups, abs, squats, and now also strength with resistance bands. It takes ages though, I exercise for 45-75 minutes 5-6 days a week. I'll need to cut it down eventually, and want to get into HIIT for cardio. But at least it feels okay as I spend less time in front of the computer.

BTW I managed to do some workout today. I almost skipped it for the 2nd day in a row...then I felt like WTF is going on?, and did it.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
I'll answer @BellaPippin 's longer post and watch @MaxKhalus 's video tomorrow probably. Now 30 minutes of (time-boxed :innocent: :halo:) gaming, dinner and die on bed. I'm so tired even after having slept longer than usual in the last two days...

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015

What work is meaningful to YOU though? If it is meaningful to you it will be meaningful to others.

I´m asking that because anytime I tried to place others first, the business failed. That´s because you can´t commit to something that has no meaning to YOU.
Similarly Ayn Rand´s philosophy is also suggesting that you place yourself first. The impact on others is just a side effect.
The work should have primarily meaning to yourself first is what I found, otherwise one becomes an opportunist without meaning. This will automatically create value. Just be 1000% confident yourself that the work you do is hella good. When you found it, you know it´s good, you know you can do it, you know you like it, you know others will like.

Just some hypothesises.

The process to get there is a discussion in itself. Maybe for another time :D

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
For some reason, and even knowing how easy it is, I can't even be bothered with getting started at the moment. I can barely make through the day on my consulting work, so I can't even think of working more at home.

Been there too. Don't feel bad about unwinding when you need to unwind. Just make sure you know your priorities over the long term... it's the consulting that takes you away from the business and the fun right? If that's the case, eventually you'll find a point where you can put your head above water, and you'll swim toward:

A. More consulting?
B. Video game business you want to do?
C. Random squirrel?
D. All of the above?

Correct answer should be easy to see at that time :)

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Here's my fiddy cents because I'm on ongoing treatment for both so I know exactly how you feel. Happens to me all the time. I can only speak for myself and MY experience but see if you can relate to some of the stuff...

Mostly I have a background in which my parents would always make me feel my achievements weren't enough. I'd bring home a B in math which was like awesome cause I'm not a numbers person and I'd get a "well it could have been an A" as a response. Far from "pushing me" it was more of a continuous, daily pattern of never being enough which is very different. Ofc they would tell all our acquaintances how proud they were of me but when talking to me it could have always "been better"... well now I'm a perfectionist and my fear of failure and to be uncomfortable not knowing stuff and practicing until I know it is so strong it took me forever to manage it a bit. Having a controlling partner didn't help, again I had to be walking on eggshells to not "mess up" to avoid triggering aggression. So a total recipe to never start, give up if it looks anything less than 5 stars, not look for feedback to not look stupid, etc. I get a lot of impostor syndrome because when I do achieve things I discount the hard work as hard work (like it should have come easier) OR if I procrastinated or took me longer than I had planned I discount the work as luck or I'll find some excuse.

A lot of times, when you feel "what's the point" "meh": it's not lack of motivation but rather fear disguised. Fear of failure, fear of criticism, fear of putting your product out there and not getting the response you want. If you are anything like me one bad experience really sets you back because it sort of "validates" all your insecurities. Then of course you feel bad either way, and the cycle repeats.

Thanks for sharing your story. It must have been very hard for you to overcome parents and partner that didn't help you give your best. Hopefully now all of that is part of the past and it's all good.

The thing about 5 stars if a great filter. I read that on Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less. Anything below 9/10 is not worth pursuing. I'll try to keep applying that as much as I can.

I think (might be wrong) that fear and insecurity is not what's going on at the moment. It's certainly been there for some time, but now it feels more like a genuine burnout after a good amount of years.

It hasn't been 100% related to work. There's also been other things recently that distracted me and caused some unhappiness. But those are getting fixed now.

I'm still quite worried though. I feel like if someone handed $10M over to me tomorrow, I would be happy to quit contracting, but I'd go watch series and play video games instead of going, finally, through that list of projects I was dying to tackle not so long ago, and that are an important part of my Why. Feeling like a key thing in your purpose it's gone it's terrifying. Without purpose, we are lost in so many ways. I really hope things go back to normal soon.

There's a book called The Artist's Way which is to kind of unblock yourself through a 12 week thing of exercises, and one of the main tasks is to write three pages every morning. Total brain dump. You can just write "I don't know what to write" and that'll do. For me it will usually be all the stuff floating in my head at the same time, for you it might be different. This makes room in your mind. It may seem silly but boy does it make a difference. Please give it a try.

I'll check that book out next thing when I finish what I'm reading at the moment. I heard about it before, but never read it. Thanks for the recommending :)

BTW, as you are an artist too, you might like Refuse to choose.

The other task is to take me-time, at least once a week, alone. Since it's aimed for creatives you are supposed to do anything that will fill that newly made space in your mind with inspiring, feel-good stuff from where creativity draws from, but honestly it's just "me-time" doing stuff you enjoy and calms you down. The kind of stuff you inner kid wants to do, and not be scolded.

That sounds like a great idea. I've actually got some time blocked on my weekly calendar for "me-time", but I lost the habit since after Christmas... I need to get into it again. Guilt-free time it's been extremely challenging to find in the last few years, which might have led to my burnout.

Like someone up there said, you need to disconnect, making yourself feel guilty of not hustling 24/7 when you aren't that type of person is setting yourself up for failure. For some people doing that is their me-time. For you is playing videogames, so be it. I actually just pre-ordered the Animal Crossing Edition of the Switch coming in March, went halfsies with my bf, 1) because there's a ton of co-ops we can play with his kids on the weekend and have fun together --we still got quite a bit of cold days ahead anyway--, 2) to play Animal Crossing and have a second thing to do when drawing isn't an option, big plus the soundtrack is relaxing AF.

Most of the time I "meh" at turning on the TV, I "meh" at turning on the XBOX, I "meh" at sitting down on my desk to sketch, and then I end up browsing Reddit and going to bed at 8... might as well had just played Fallout and deco my camp and enjoyed that time, even that is more intentional than scrolling through memes. It's like you build a debt with yourself of doing stuff you like because you guilt yourself about it. At some point you made up your mind about "what you should be doing" and if you don't live up to it you punish yourself. Even when it doesn't come from someone else, you make up "the standard" yourself.

Weirdly, I stopped feeling the urgency of playing video games long time ago. It's been now that things are all over the place (and an old masterpiece has been remastered) when I've fallen more into it. But during the week I'm keeping it to 30 minutes/day maximum. It's more the weekends when I'm worried that I'll go into it too much.

I think "what you should be doing" is the thing that chases my and makes me feel guilty, as you say. At the same time, it feels like it's the push to hustle and go for what most people can't achieve. A blessing and a curse at the same time.

BTW I should try that Animal Crossing everyone talks about :)

Finally: I've got two friends that made an indie game, they worked full time in my friend's garage and pretty much lived there and it STILL took them three years to finish (It's called Trials of Azra if you wanna check it out, on Steam). And they worked their butts off on the marketing, posting on social media, going to expos with the demo, getting guest posts and mentions in blogs, etc. etc. I realized recently I know NOTHING about marketing and how important it is. I probably been underestimating it all this time. So be patient, it's not just coding and putting it out there and that's okay. It's a big enterprise. It will take time. Block time to code a bit and block time to play games. Work Hard but also Play Hard. Get there in one piece, you know. Don't compare yourself to others' processes.

I had a look at the game and looks like they did pretty well (91 reviews, more than many people I know). Making PC games tends to take pretty long. 3 years is an eternity for me, I wouldn't be able to finish it. I've realised that 3 months is just about what I can handle without going nuts. I've read that as well on a couple of books - for some reason, 3 months is a good "sprint" length. This is a problem because PC games are discarded automatically, and even mobile games are challenging to make nowadays in 3 months spending 10-15 hours/week. That's why I thought that mobile apps would fit better, but I've been unable to make the first one on time too.

Marketing is key indeed. I've seen people making it big because they did marketing right. I shared a video up there about a guy making a game about a fox and making good money because he did marketing well (and a pretty game). He said about 30% of the time he worked on the game was spent on marketing.

I'd like to go back to the app I was making. I want to complete things, as it feels good regardless of their success. Hopefully things will slowly get back to normal and I'll get into it soon.

Sometimes I think about ditching coding and going for something else (like composing music), but that's going to require so much work to get really good at it, and working full-time doesn't leave that much time, that I would end up burning out and hating it. And it makes sense to focus on my primary skill if I really want to make something useful, otherwise I'll just collect hobbies.

I'm slacking off in other ways like working out and cooking, which help me stay away from the keyboard, take care of my health and my back, etc. This leaves far less room for work, but it's what it is at the moment.

This took long to go through, but was very insightful and useful. Thank you so much!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
That was an interesting video. I knew most of the stuff already, but it was a good refresh.

About addictions, I don't really have many. I read compulsively but I'm aware of that and consciously try to avoid it. It feels like the whole world is engineered for us to get hooked into information overload. Scary.

I definitely have a low inflammation diet, as mentioned on the video.

About he Purpose point, I think there's a conflict. I clearly have my purpose in life defined when it comes to my personal life. But when it comes to my "work" life, things are trickier, as those things don't really align with the path to freedom yet. Delayed gratification is the key here.

I have to admit that there are some distractions that consume a good amount of energy. I love when he says "If you don't sacrifice in your life, the things you care about, the goals that you have, will become the sacrifice". Sounds good and makes sense. Not easy to apply at the moment though, but I'm working on it.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
What work is meaningful to YOU though? If it is meaningful to you it will be meaningful to others.

I´m asking that because anytime I tried to place others first, the business failed. That´s because you can´t commit to something that has no meaning to YOU.
Similarly Ayn Rand´s philosophy is also suggesting that you place yourself first. The impact on others is just a side effect.
The work should have primarily meaning to yourself first is what I found, otherwise one becomes an opportunist without meaning. This will automatically create value. Just be 1000% confident yourself that the work you do is hella good. When you found it, you know it´s good, you know you can do it, you know you like it, you know others will like.

Just some hypothesises.

The process to get there is a discussion in itself. Maybe for another time :D
Thanks, man. I don't know, I think it sounds like "follow your passion", but I might be missing your point. Putting customers first is a proven way of building a successful business.

I agree with the fact that work needs to be meaningful to you though. The thing is that "meaningful" can have many definitions. For an artist, making their pieces of art is meaningful. For someone else, helping business to grow is meaningful. Etc.

I've seen what you suggest working well in games and art, when people just created something really good because they put their soul and heart into it, and other people love it. I've seen others creating games or art in a more customer-focused way, and they made it big too. I think both approaches work. Which one is better? I don't know. But I think that focusing on the customer might increase the odds of success, at least in non-artistic businesses.

EDIT: Grammar.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Been there too. Don't feel bad about unwinding when you need to unwind. Just make sure you know your priorities over the long term... it's the consulting that takes you away from the business and the fun right? If that's the case, eventually you'll find a point where you can put your head above water, and you'll swim toward:

A. More consulting?
B. Video game business you want to do?
C. Random squirrel?
D. All of the above?

Correct answer should be easy to see at that time :)

I think the consulting work is playing a big part, but I feel like there's some other underlying issue. We'll find out soon when things at work cool down.

I have my priorities clear over the long term (as clear as they can be, as we all evolve and priorities change over time). The "in-between" is what's feeling like climbing a mountain at the moment, and a couple of things are just acting as rocks attached to my ancles.

I'll keep digging until I find the root of the problem.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Feeling like a key thing in your purpose it's gone it's terrifying. Without purpose, we are lost in so many ways.

Maybe it's not gone, it's just changing into something new. Sometimes you just change goals/priorities/wants etc.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
Thanks, man. I don't know, I think it sounds like "follow your passion", but I might be missing your point. Putting customers first is a proven way of building a successful business.

I agree with the fact that work needs to be meaningful to you though. The thing is that "meaningful" can have many definitions. For an artist, making their pieces of art is meaningful. For someone else, helping business to grow is meaningful. Etc.

I've seen what you suggest working well in games and art, when people just created something really good because they put their soul and heart into it, and other people love it. I've seen others creating games or art in a more customer-focused way, and they made it big too. I think both approaches work. Which one is better? I don't know. But I think that focusing on the customer might increase the odds of success, at least in non-artistic businesses.

EDIT: Grammar.

Passion = Love what you do without regards to the impact on the world.
Meaning and Purpose = You do it because it´s meaningful(to you AND others) and know it´s going to impact the world.

Pouring soul and heart into it doesn´t mean that it´s good and doesn´t mean anything. But if your purpose is to do something good and impactful it´s going to have value(be it artistic or not). This is a careful distinction to make.
Depending on your personality, this meaning and purpose can channel into more artistic or more business-oriented solutions.
Ever wonder why the app-market is flooded with shit, even when they supposedly started with a "customer-centric" approach(by "researching trends"? They don´t have meaning. And those that successfully execute on trends will make quick bucks and then go back to nothing.
Every GREAT business has a true meaningful reason for being.

In both cases the customer gets value from it, so both approaches work indeed. It´s not about the approach but about the principle.

BUT, the customer doesn´t know shit. You are the one who has the big vision. You´re going to make something big. You can´t rely on the customer to provide the vision for you. But he can help you with feedback. YOU know it´s going to be good, so good they can´t resist. Even if that means you have to adjust. But the big vision stays the same. Just don´t let ego get in the way. Seems offtopic, but it´s part of it.

“If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have told me a faster horse.” - Henry Ford

By now it seems like I´m rambling, I like to have this discussion.
If any fastlaners here would like to slap my a$$ for it, feel free to chime in :)

Last edited:

sholz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 2, 2020
haha... been following your thread..

Good job keeping up to your commitment..
I too am just about to publish another of my games to the store(s)

I use Unity though so If you need any help or are stuck you can reach out..

PS: be quick and thorough with this development phase remember marketing-phase challenge is waiting to be conquered too

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Passion = Love what you do without regards to the impact on the world.
Meaning and Purpose = You do it because it´s meaningful(to you AND others) and know it´s going to impact the world.

Pouring soul and heart into it doesn´t mean that it´s good and doesn´t mean anything. But if your purpose is to do something good and impactful it´s going to have value(be it artistic or not). This is a careful distinction to make.
Depending on your personality, this meaning and purpose can channel into more artistic or more business-oriented solutions.
Ever wonder why the app-market is flooded with shit, even when they supposedly started with a "customer-centric" approach(by "researching trends"? They don´t have meaning. And those that successfully execute on trends will make quick bucks and then go back to nothing.
Every GREAT business has a true meaningful reason for being.

In both cases the customer gets value from it, so both approaches work indeed. It´s not about the approach but about the principle.

BUT, the customer doesn´t know shit. You are the one who has the big vision. You´re going to make something big. You can´t rely on the customer to provide the vision for you. But he can help you with feedback. YOU know it´s going to be good, so good they can´t resist. Even if that means you have to adjust. But the big vision stays the same. Just don´t let ego get in the way. Seems offtopic, but it´s part of it.

“If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have told me a faster horse.” - Henry Ford

By now it seems like I´m rambling, I like to have this discussion.
If any fastlaners here would like to slap my a$$ for it, feel free to chime in :)
I think I understand better what you meant.

I think you are describing one way of doing business. The iPhone, the car, etc. There are other ways though, not everyone invents the next big thing through their vision. Many people build good or great businesses by listening to a market that know what they need.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
haha... been following your thread..

Good job keeping up to your commitment..
Hey, thanks!

I too am just about to publish another of my games to the store(s)

Great! Good luck.

How are you finding this? How are your previous games doing? Still worth your time?

I use Unity though so If you need any help or are stuck you can reach out..

Sadly, I haven't opened Unity in months... but it's good to know there are people willing to help :) Thanks a lot.

PS: be quick and thorough with this development phase remember marketing-phase challenge is waiting to be conquered too

Totally agree with marketing, it's another mountain to climb after the first one (or at the same time).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.