The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Been a few years.....reintroducing myself.

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
Hey folks,

Used to come around here a few years ago. Here's a brief resume:

Things I've done:
- Grown a youtube channel to 12k subscribers, organic only
- Sold courses on Udemy (fully passive, few hundred dollars a month)
- Self-published a book on KDP (customer service)
- Learned coding essentially from scratch to a FAANG company offer in ~18 months

Things I'm currently working on
- Building a new Youtube channel from scratch (~100 subscribers currently)
- Self-publishing a much better book (about happiness, near final edits, design in progress)
- Building small software side projects to practice particular skills.
- Outsourcing work to contractors to free up more of my time (YT editing, SEO)
- Investing the surplus from my software job (Currently holding some index funds, considering buying real estate this year)

It's been a fairly slow, jagged journey for me. My projects are probably a bit more varied than they should be and there are certainly faster paths to financial independence. On the other hand, I make 5x what I did a few years ago, have some income on autopilot, and many coals in the fire. I'm not exactly where I want to be financially for how long I've been on this journey, but even if none of my projects work out, I'm on track to retire in a few years anyway from slow investments. Then I can work full time on what I want anyway, so feeling pretty good about life and my position but still looking to improve.

I consider my main strengths to be in habit change, communication, happiness, and psychology. I've written 25 book reviews, 750 instagram posts, and 75 blog posts on those topics along the way, as well as the full-fleshed book I'm finishing up.

Too much rambling. Too much about me. If anyone has any questions, happy to elaborate or help however I can. Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EternalStudent

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Apr 4, 2020
Australia
Hey folks,

Used to come around here a few years ago. Here's a brief resume:

Things I've done:
- Grown a youtube channel to 12k subscribers, organic only
- Sold courses on Udemy (fully passive, few hundred dollars a month)
- Self-published a book on KDP (customer service)
- Learned coding essentially from scratch to a FAANG company offer in ~18 months

Things I'm currently working on
- Building a new Youtube channel from scratch (~100 subscribers currently)
- Self-publishing a much better book (about happiness, near final edits, design in progress)
- Building small software side projects to practice particular skills.
- Outsourcing work to contractors to free up more of my time (YT editing, SEO)
- Investing the surplus from my software job (Currently holding some index funds, considering buying real estate this year)

It's been a fairly slow, jagged journey for me. My projects are probably a bit more varied than they should be and there are certainly faster paths to financial independence. On the other hand, I make 5x what I did a few years ago, have some income on autopilot, and many coals in the fire. I'm not exactly where I want to be financially for how long I've been on this journey, but even if none of my projects work out, I'm on track to retire in a few years anyway from slow investments. Then I can work full time on what I want anyway, so feeling pretty good about life and my position but still looking to improve.

I consider my main strengths to be in habit change, communication, happiness, and psychology. I've written 25 book reviews, 750 instagram posts, and 75 blog posts on those topics along the way, as well as the full-fleshed book I'm finishing up.

Too much rambling. Too much about me. If anyone has any questions, happy to elaborate or help however I can. Cheers!
Thanks for the intro and welcome back

My question is: how much time do you spend on the achievements you have "completed" so far? For example, are you marketing the book you wrote or still growing your channel, or have you moved on from them? If so, why?

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019
Welcome back :)
What kind of courses / books do you sell?

Donovon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 8, 2015
Sunnyvale, California
Thanks for the intro and welcome back

My question is: how much time do you spend on the achievements you have "completed" so far? For example, are you marketing the book you wrote or still growing your channel, or have you moved on from them? If so, why?
I'm not currently investing any more time in the original Youtube channel. It basically killed my love for music and made very little money. My audience was asking for information beyond and at the edge of my skill level and my heart just wasn't in it. The courses I made around it still generate some money but require no investment.
My first book made a little money at the outset but I've stopped investing in it because I didn't like the opportunities it was opening up and I never believed in it that strongly (perhaps just a mindset weakness).

The reason I've stopped with those projects is because I landed on a very clear vision of the problem space I'm interested in, which is psychology and general well-being with an emphasis on happiness. I poured almost all my time the last three years into learning to program and finishing the book. Assuming the concepts in the book land with people generally (I've been running small tests along the way so I hope it scales), I plan on building products and services with the book concepts at the core. If it doesn't land, I'll pivot and adjust until it does.

I'm sure there was a faster path to financial freedom, but this seems way more purposeful to me. Also doesn't hurt my day job programming pays really well and is enhancing key skills I want. Courses scale decently, but I think software is the key to unwinding this problem in a meaningful way.

Welcome back :)
What kind of courses / books do you sell?

Courses:
The courses that make money are in the rap music tutorial space (heavy emphasis on writing).
I also have two free well-being courses. One on goal setting and the other on happiness. My take on both has evolved significantly since then.
My book is about entry-level customer service.

The book I'm nearly finished with is a deep dive into my take on happiness and how to optimize it. People may disagree with my exact definition, but after ten years or so of researching and experimenting in the realm, I feel confident I have something useful to provide.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...