The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Started a new job - not what I expected

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Like many, I'm juggling my venture and working to pay the bills. Just recently I moved out of home, and left my day job. Free lancing has been going well and bouncing on weekends has allowed me to pay my bills and given flexibility to focus on my venture. Unfortunately, things change just when you get comfortable. Free lancing was doing great for a good 3-4 months, and recently it has slowed down. I decided to make a quick decision and look for a day job.

Thankfully, I applied 2 weeks ago and started a new job today. It's not what I expected. Job is 'Graphic Designer, Social Media & Marketing'. The company is in the music industry.

Now the position is 'entry' level. Getting around $59,000 per year before tax, Mon-Fri 8am-4pm (my chosen hours so I can get home and have a little more time for venture at night).

I rock up to work, meet the boss, he takes me for coffee and we spend a good hour discussing the industry, what the companies focus is, what he'd like to see from the Marketing/Social Media person, details the marketing budget for the year and a few other things.

It was a nice introduction to the company. Everything was going great and I was now ready to meet my 'manager' or even another staff member who would direct work to me - as suggested through the job advertisement.

The problem? There is no one and this is not my industry (I explained that in my interview). Everything has always been out sourced to graphic designers, marketers and their social media presence has been minimal. I'm the only person there with graphic skills and a marketing background.

Everyone else is Sales, IT and Accounts. I was just left with my own small office, flashy new computer and notes about what I discussed with the owner. I spent my day today reviewing the companies previous advertising methods and sussing out how they've been working for the previous year. It seems their advertising is pretty basic, and some of it just a waste.

I'm now in a position which sees me essentially as the "head" of Marketing and Social Media and the go to guy for graphic design work. Again, this isn't my industry, and I'm kind of lost because I know what to do, but at the same time, I don't know what to do. :p

I'm going to focus on their social media presence, they currently have a decent FB following 8,000 organic, and see if I can work that up and convert that into sales.

I've got tons of ideas, but I feel like I've just been given responsibility to control the companies image.

Marketing/advertising/social media experts! If you were thrown into a position like this what would you do? Again, the job I applied for was 'entry level' and it suggested I'd be able to work well in a team etc... but it seems I'm solo.

Thank you in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
What industry?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Show a little progress. Then hire for your weaknesses.

Read. Study. Attempt. Fail.

You have a paid testing lab!

OperationMyWay

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Nov 26, 2013
Like many, I'm juggling my venture and working to pay the bills. Just recently I moved out of home, and left my day job. Free lancing has been going well and bouncing on weekends has allowed me to pay my bills and given flexibility to focus on my venture. Unfortunately, things change just when you get comfortable. Free lancing was doing great for a good 3-4 months, and recently it has slowed down. I decided to make a quick decision and look for a day job.

Thankfully, I applied 2 weeks ago and started a new job today. It's not what I expected. Job is 'Graphic Designer, Social Media & Marketing'. The company is in the music industry.

Now the position is 'entry' level. Getting around $59,000 per year before tax, Mon-Fri 8am-4pm (my chosen hours so I can get home and have a little more time for venture at night).

I rock up to work, meet the boss, he takes me for coffee and we spend a good hour discussing the industry, what the companies focus is, what he'd like to see from the Marketing/Social Media person, details the marketing budget for the year and a few other things.

It was a nice introduction to the company. Everything was going great and I was now ready to meet my 'manager' or even another staff member who would direct work to me - as suggested through the job advertisement.

The problem? There is no one and this is not my industry (I explained that in my interview). Everything has always been out sourced to graphic designers, marketers and their social media presence has been minimal. I'm the only person there with graphic skills and a marketing background.

Everyone else is Sales, IT and Accounts. I was just left with my own small office, flashy new computer and notes about what I discussed with the owner. I spent my day today reviewing the companies previous advertising methods and sussing out how they've been working for the previous year. It seems their advertising is pretty basic, and some of it just a waste.

I'm now in a position which sees me essentially as the "head" of Marketing and Social Media and the go to guy for graphic design work. Again, this isn't my industry, and I'm kind of lost because I know what to do, but at the same time, I don't know what to do. [emoji14]

I'm going to focus on their social media presence, they currently have a decent FB following 8,000 organic, and see if I can work that up and convert that into sales.

I've got tons of ideas, but I feel like I've just been given responsibility to control the companies image.

Marketing/advertising/social media experts! If you were thrown into a position like this what would you do? Again, the job I applied for was 'entry level' and it suggested I'd be able to work well in a team etc... but it seems I'm solo.

Thank you in advance.
Work up a couple ideas with proposed action plans for each. Go over those plans and how progress would be measured with small milestones along the way with the boss. Get his input and buy in on the plan he likes best. Implement the plans and if they work then great! If not you will know fairly early because you and the boss agreed on milestones to be met and he has to share in this failure because he bought in. You will already have the next idea ready to go fro your first discussion with said boss. Create and implement ideas with the boss approval until you get a winner. I imagine you will get a feel for what will work after a few attempts

Also remember and point out if needed that you are already saving them time and money on cutting out wasteful marketing spend that you found on your first day!

Hope this helps.

P.s. not a marketing a guy but I've dealt with similar situations not knowing what I'm doing in an industry I knew nothing about.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Thank you for the advice. I went to work today a little more prepared. Spent a good 30 min this afternoon with the boss discussing a plan of attack I put together. As you said, get him on board - well, he's onboard and wants me to start sailing!

Here's to an interesting journey.

David Fiddler

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
306%
Jan 11, 2015
This does seem like a good opportunity to get some marketing experience on someone else's expenses.

You could check out reddit's marketing subreddit's top rated threads, there was a story similar to yours if I remember correctly. Guy got put in a position and didn't know wtf to do and they gave him some solid advice.

Also I'm sure the fastlane forum has lots to offer, but I suggest you change the title to something like "Marketing Experts: What would you do with a [low/medium/high ,idk] budget expense account in the music industry?" so people you are looking for will find your thread.

Oh and don't forget to enjoy the ride.

OperationMyWay

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
403%
Nov 26, 2013
Thank you for the advice. I went to work today a little more prepared. Spent a good 30 min this afternoon with the boss discussing a plan of attack I put together. As you said, get him on board - well, he's onboard and wants me to start sailing!

Here's to an interesting journey.

So happy to hear this. I feel your actions are speaking volumes to your new boss. Not afraid to jump right in with fresh ideas, but also not afraid to approach him for input. It puts you both in a win/win. Now all that is left is to execute. Keep us posted on the results!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.