The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Second Opinion on Business Niche - Computing Education

Robin Andrews

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jun 16, 2019
UK
A while back I had some coaching and my mentor reckoned that "GCSE and A Level Computer Science" was a viable niche to build a business in. Now this was a guy I respect, but it must be said that he was charging a high rate and didn't seem interested in putting any time or effort beyond the actual contact between us. So he may have been very wrong about the viability of the niche, not actually having done any research into it himself. He was more about the optimism and positivity, which is great and all, but sometimes wearing the "black hat" has a lot of value too.

I had some reservations about the niche and I still do. Part of me thinks it is terrible, for a number of reasons. For example:

- It is very hard to define a target audience. It potentially includes teachers, parents, school kids, head of departments and several others.
- Almost all funding for computing education in schools comes through a body called NCCE who provide free resources and training for teachers.
- My mailing list after 9 mounts of blogging consists of about 100 teachers and 30 students.
- The customer and the consumer may well be different, making marketing difficult. For example, parents aren't interested in subject content, but teachers and students are.
- Most students have their education paid for by he government.
- Available funding for teaching resources in UK schools is very low, with teachers often spending their own money on resources, which are generally low cost.
- There are loads of free resources for teaching computing and teachers often share resources.
- Kids sitting computing exams are unlikely to be motivated to read blog posts, sign up for mailing lists etc. (they're teenagers, right?)
- Computing exams in the UK are of questionable quality and don't necessarily provide a good foundation for careers in software development.
- The content is also quite boring and limited.

There's probably a few more potential downsides, but that gives an idea.

As a potential upside, there is a real shortage of access to Computer Science teaching, as nearly half of UK schools are not offering Computer Science GCSE. This means there is a fairly high demand for tuition, and potentially self-guided learning resources.

Also, the boringness of the exams means there could well be a need for more fun and engaging activities and approaches.

What I bring to the table in terms of value is a wealth of educational experience along with an ability to make computing (and particularly programming) clear and enjoyable to learn. My blog is full of fun activities for enthusiastic Python learners.

So any suggestions please?

Is this niche a good one?
Is it a terrible one?
Should I keep digging this well and find a well-defined target audience I can serve and make products for (probably including video courses)?
Should I break out of the world of school exams with all it's restrictions and complications and just focus on providing fun, engaging and educationally excellent resources for aspiring coders in general?
Or what...?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Megalodon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Jan 8, 2020
A while back I had some coaching and my mentor reckoned that "GCSE and A Level Computer Science" was a viable niche to build a business in. Now this was a guy I respect, but it must be said that he was charging a high rate and didn't seem interested in putting any time or effort beyond the actual contact between us. So he may have been very wrong about the viability of the niche, not actually having done any research into it himself. He was more about the optimism and positivity, which is great and all, but sometimes wearing the "black hat" has a lot of value too.

I had some reservations about the niche and I still do. Part of me thinks it is terrible, for a number of reasons. For example:

- It is very hard to define a target audience. It potentially includes teachers, parents, school kids, head of departments and several others.
- Almost all funding for computing education in schools comes through a body called NCCE who provide free resources and training for teachers.
- My mailing list after 9 mounts of blogging consists of about 100 teachers and 30 students.
- The customer and the consumer may well be different, making marketing difficult. For example, parents aren't interested in subject content, but teachers and students are.
- Most students have their education paid for by he government.
- Available funding for teaching resources in UK schools is very low, with teachers often spending their own money on resources, which are generally low cost.
- There are loads of free resources for teaching computing and teachers often share resources.
- Kids sitting computing exams are unlikely to be motivated to read blog posts, sign up for mailing lists etc. (they're teenagers, right?)
- Computing exams in the UK are of questionable quality and don't necessarily provide a good foundation for careers in software development.
- The content is also quite boring and limited.

There's probably a few more potential downsides, but that gives an idea.

As a potential upside, there is a real shortage of access to Computer Science teaching, as nearly half of UK schools are not offering Computer Science GCSE. This means there is a fairly high demand for tuition, and potentially self-guided learning resources.

Also, the boringness of the exams means there could well be a need for more fun and engaging activities and approaches.

What I bring to the table in terms of value is a wealth of educational experience along with an ability to make computing (and particularly programming) clear and enjoyable to learn. My blog is full of fun activities for enthusiastic Python learners.

So any suggestions please?

Is this niche a good one?
Is it a terrible one?
Should I keep digging this well and find a well-defined target audience I can serve and make products for (probably including video courses)?
Should I break out of the world of school exams with all it's restrictions and complications and just focus on providing fun, engaging and educationally excellent resources for aspiring coders in general?
Or what...?

Any feedback much appreciated.
I personally think you’ve got the right idea but are too narrowly focused.

You’ve clearly got a passion for this as well as domain knowledge. Use it!

Admittedly I don’t know much about the UK school system or market, but I know here in Australia we are crying out for technical skill sets. The actual school constraints sound difficult to operate in however.

I’d go with your last suggestion - but focus on the sector more broadly. Cyber security and tech jobs aren’t as focused on degrees, and there’s a heap of practical quals and pathways. What if you offered scalable, online training courses that were geared to then help you pass a CISSP, CISM, GIAC etc down the line?

If you’d offered me a training course in anything cyber at 19 that could later translate into white/grey hat work I would have keeled over and died from excitement! Haha

Last edited:

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
It sounds like there are some challenges, but remember that difficulty is the opportunity.

You said
It is very hard to define a target audience. It potentially includes teachers, parents, school kids, head of departments and several others.
Maybe you can start by talking to the heads of departments, since they are more likely to make funding decisions.

You also said
Most students have their education paid for by he government.
This tells me that there may be government funding available if you can solve a burning problem in this space and get it in front of the right people (see department heads above).

Another quote from you:
Computing exams in the UK are of questionable quality and don't necessarily provide a good foundation for careers in software development.
Ok - so what would provide a good foundation for careers in software development? Could you talk to some people in the field and see what they really need to know, day-to-day, versus what school says they need to know? (Hint: there are some software developers/engineers on this very forum you could ask!)

Putting it all together: Hmmm ... is there any way you can use your research with actual software developers to produce a resource that the government would pay for, while validating the need with department heads before going too far in creating it?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.