The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Procrastination due to good job?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
Hi All,

I am an IT consultant and single bread winner for the family of 4. I make decent money by consulting and have own LLC but its like a job only- slowlane.I have read the MFL and several other books. I tried to expand business by recruiting by more candidates but no luck. I have several ideas but get plagued by initial low margins, time and effort needed. I do understand there is no quick success and it will require time and effort.

Currently I have another idea of selling online some artwork on etsy.com. But again questions surround me , how much the volume will be , is it worth it?

How do you approach my situation? I understand job is not the path to freedom. Appreciate your input.
Andy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Consulting is in ITSM specialty tool

Sounds like you might be in an ideal position to develop a SAAS product. You must see a lot of client pain points.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm a consultant/contractor myself too, and found the following two podcasts useful (although am not following them to the tee):
  1. www.tropicalmba.com/consulting
  2. www.tropicalmba.com/services

For me, step 1 is replacing contracting on client sites to contracting from home. This means I can pick up work anywhere in the world.

I'd also prefer to have more clients that had less revenue from each, rather than a few clients with higher revenue from each. I learn pain points from each client, so I figure the more the merrier.

Last edited:

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
Thanks !! Let me go through the podcasts...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I presume ITSM is similar to ITIL?

Do you train people in the tool and processes, or implement it (or both)?

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
@andyandy, as well as what @Andy Black has recommended above, I think you may also benefit from changing your consulting pricing strategy to a value based approach. If you haven't already, I suggest you sign up for Patrick McKenzie's newsletter, here are a couple of relevant articles:
Brennan Dunn's Becoming a High-Value Consultant series is also worth a read, as is Breaking the Time Barrier by Mike McDerment.

There are also some good ideas in this recent webinar on 'Productizing your Consulting' (it's a pitch for a paid course, but I got value from it, here are the slides for a quick overview).

All the best.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
^^^ Rep+

We're of course assuming you even want to stay in IT consulting. Regardless of what you do, take what everyone says with a pinch of salt. I got caught up in other people's blueprints and advice, until someone said they were just that. Take the bits you want and apply to your situation.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
I tried selling my original paintings & drawings on Ebay and it wasn't worth it for me. Too much work for too little money. I like having my art mass produced, sold on products, and receiving passive income on it forever.

Being comfortable definitely can hinder you from pushing hard in your own business.

Last edited:

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Thanks for the Rep+ @Andy Black

@andyandy even if you don't want to stay in IT consulting long term, you may find it helpful to temporarily earn more with your consulting efforts in order to have additional $$$'s to launch a different business. That being said, I doubt that selling some artwork on Etsy will enable you to support your family...

Don't focus on what you want to do or what you think is fun, but focus on what others need and see how you can help them by fulfilling those needs.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for the Rep+ @Andy Black

@andyandy even if you don't want to stay in IT consulting long term, you may find it helpful to temporarily earn more with your consulting efforts in order to have additional $$$'s to launch a different business. That being said, I doubt that selling some artwork on Etsy will enable you to support your family...

Don't focus on what you want to do or what you think is fun, but focus on what others need and see how you can help them by fulfilling those needs.

^^^ perfect answer IMO. More rep!

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
about how many hours do you work every day totally?

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
My suggestion
Work more hors work as much as humanly possible if you can get away with working 2 more hours? 4 hours? then why not do it?
it all comes down to effective time management
Then save as much money as possible save every penny you can
don't spend money on stupid shit
save as much money so that months from now at very least you can live on your savings so that you can do something else
thats what I would do if I was you

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
I think it may be wise to start your own consulting......start with a client or two on the side, then expand until you can quit your job. Then you will be able to afford the time to work on your own business while keeping up with your clients. Then when you feel comfortable enough to pursue the second avenue, sell your clients. This is different from the other posts in that I'm assuming you have another idea than consulting, but it can apply if you want to just continue consulting, just forget selling your clients. Phase it in slowly at a rate you feel comfortable, even get a little uncomfortable -- push yourself a bit.

andyandy

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Apr 10, 2014
My suggestion
Work more hors work as much as humanly possible if you can get away with working 2 more hours? 4 hours? then why not do it?
it all comes down to effective time management
Then save as much money as possible save every penny you can
don't spend money on stupid shit
save as much money so that months from now at very least you can live on your savings so that you can do something else
thats what I would do if I was you
Can't work more than 40 in a week as overtimes are not allowed. Trying to find another part time client...following the advice of some blog post pointed in this thread.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.