The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need to get out of my job ASAP, it is DESTROYING me.

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
I need help.
I havn't been my usual self lately. The last few months I've been a pretty unhappy person. I thought I was doing good, I thought I was happy with how life was going, but I think I've hit an all time low. My job is literally destroying me and my life.

I work for one of the major auto parts retail stores, managing the commercial program (dealing with all of the garages and repair shops). I started out working for the company a little over 2 years ago part time. I was really into cars back then, had no idea what I wanted in life as far as a career, and everything was great. I enjoyed going to work every day. A year and a half ago I kinda stumbled into the opportunity to be in charge of and run the commercial program. I was thrilled, I would be making a few bucks more and would have a set schedule, not having to work nights or weekends (the occasional Saturday here and there). I had no real experience for the position, and kinda technically was too young to really be qualified for it, but upper management saw that I was responsible enough, eager, and smart enough to get the job done, so I started!

Here I am a year and a half later, I've learned a ton, gained a lot of experience in selling, management, organization, accounting (keeping track of and collecting money from customers, keeping track of profits, losses, expenses, etc.), and dealing with people and businesses. I've gone from the store averaging less than $700/day in sales with me constantly making sales calls and going after every potential sale I could, to over $1100/day without me doing a damn thing other than answering calls (And with only half the number of drivers!) so from an experience standpoint, I feel good.

I wake up in the morning now and the first thing I think is "I hate my job, maybe I should just stop showing up". Dealing with the same problems over and over again, upper management that never has anything helpful or even just encouraging to say, putting up with the same sketchy people pulling the same sketchy moves and not being able to do anything about it.... and not even getting paid a decent wage!
To be honest, I think these problems are due in great deal to the fact that I am not passionate (or even enthusiastic) about my job any more. I have a lot of responsibility, but not very much control over how the business is run. Its to the point where I've pretty much stopped caring. It doesn't help that I'm surrounded by people who are the exact opposite of who I am and want to be, all day long. I mean, no offense to anyone, but I'm sick of interacting shady characters who wear the same filthy clothes for literally DAYS, who's full time job seems to be trying to keep their clunker car or truck running, and who always seem to have a problem that always is somehow my fault. (I deal with walk-in customers too.)

I need a change. I can't deal with this any more. Ideally I would have a couple of internet businesses up and running, providing me with enough money to leave my job and have some income to allow me to build and grow my own businesses full time, but I need to act sooner than that. I could try and get a part-time job doing something easy and stress free, but that's really not what I want either. If I'm gonna be working for someone else, I want to be learning something useful.

My ultimate goal is to invest in real estate while starting and selling businesses.

What do you all recommend I do? Thankfully I'm still living at home and don't really have too much as far as expenses go... car insurance, a bike payment (selling the bike ASAP), cell phone bill.... gas if I go anywhere, but thats pretty much it. And I've got great parents who can help me out if I need it. I'm very fortunate to be in this position. Now its really a matter of do I give my 2 weeks notice ASAP, get myself away from the "negative" in my life and just bust a$$ trying my hand at an online business full time? Do I grab the first part time job making 9 bucks an hour (I'm making 11.28 an hour now with an average monthly "bonus" of around 250 after taxes) and just work on an online business at the same time? or do I wait and look for a job that is at least somewhat related to what my long term goals are? (Building businesses / investing in real estate)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

1mancrew

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 11, 2009
Lake Worth
I understand your life as I am in the same field but at a different level. Start reading and asking questions on the forum, lots to learn from this group.
Start right now getting your attitude right and go to work knowing it is just temporary, just a car to get you where you are going if you will. Also remember everyone you come in contact with is a potential customer or partner so don't prejudge who they are by the way they look.
Keep your mind open along with you ears as they may give you an idea for your next business venture. You are in the business of solving others problems right now so use that experience to your advantage, this has made people millions by coming up with solutions for problems.
Good luck and get busy!

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Speedingpenguin-

Some days, I dress like a total slob. Wrinkled shorts, T-shirt, sneakers . . .

Shirt is dirty b/c I have a 2 1/2 year old (it's impossible to keep my shirts clean).

My shorts usually have some stain on them, too, from her.

I did get my hair cut yesterday, but for the past few months, it's been shaggy.

I may not have shaved for a day or two.

With my lack of sleep (2 yr old, remember?), you'd probably see my half-closed bloodshot eyes, stubble, sloppy attire, and write me off as an unemployed loser-- or close to it.

My only reason for bringing this up is-- don't judge by appearances. There are some of us out there who dress this way intentionally, so we don't get hit up for things.

And I don't want this to sound condescending, but I thought my job sucked when I was 21, too.

It's part of growing up.

When I was 21-23, I quit a few jobs (hated 'em).

Was totally unappreciated. No one understood how good I was, or how much the business depended on me.

But y'know what happened after I quit?

Nothing.

The businesses still stayed in business.

Life went on without me.

And after a few years, I realized that the only thing that all my sucky jobs had in common--- was ME.

Once I changed my attitude,

the jobs didn't suck quite so much.

-Russ H.

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
haha
hey, I'm hardly the best dressed guy out there, trust me. I know. What I'm talking about is the people that ARE slobs. I hate to sound like an a-hole, but I'm serious. I don't want to have to interact with people who ALWAYS reek of booze and cigarettes, and don't even ATTEMPT to be clean. I'd rather wear nice clothes to "work" (whatever that may be) and interact with people who at least shower twice a week. I guess you'd have to really see the people I'm talking about to get it. I'm not pre-judging anyone, but usually its obvious when someone just doesn't give a $hit about how they come across to others. :smx6:

1mancrew, I've got one idea that I think might be worth giving a shot. I think I'll get working on it soon though rather than later.

Jscott, yeah... I guess I know what I really have to do, I'm just having a hard time really getting anything going. I've started a few projects, but just havn't been able to keep any sort of momentum going. I'll work on it a few hours a night for a couple of days, then I'll skip one night because something is going on or whatever, then the next night I'll be so exhausted from work I can't get focused enough to get anything done, etc.
Then the cycle starts over again.

I would love to just quit my job, and spend 8+ hours a day working on building an e-business of some sort, but I guess I'm just nervous that the cashflow won't end up being what I expect/want (right now I'd be fine making $350 a week from a business or two...), I just don't know how I could make that money or hopefully more. I've got enough money in savings to last maybe 3 months if I realllyyy cut back on what I spent money on (which isn't much). But that would mean no money to put into the business. :huh2: I'm giving it some serious thought, but don't know if I'm really ready to take that sort of jump. I guess I don't have much to loose, but would I be better off going about it a different way?

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
speedingpenguin said:
. . . usually its obvious when someone just doesn't give a sh*t about how they come across to others.
Uh, yeah.

That'd be me.

And I want to be clear-- I don't any offense to your comments.

I just think you're missing some important stuff here.

speedingpenguin said:
I would love to just quit my job, and spend 8+ hours a day working on building an e-business of some sort, but I guess I'm just nervous that the cashflow won't end up being what I expect/want (right now I'd be fine making $350 a week from a business or two...), I just don't know how I could make that money or hopefully more. I've got enough money in savings to last maybe 3 months if I realllyyy cut back on what I spent money on (which isn't much). But that would mean no money to put into the business. I'm giving it some serious thought, but don't know if I'm really ready to take that sort of jump. I guess I don't have much to loose, but would I be better off going about it a different way?

Why not do it the way most of us did?

Don't quit your day job (9-5)

Building your new businesses for the other 16 hours: 5 pm- 9 am.

That's 8+ hours a day-- same as you're thinking you'd do if you quit.

If you don't have the motivation to do it NOW, while you're working,
you're kidding yourself if you think that quitting your sucky job
is going to magically make you more motivated.

Sorry for the tough love--
Just get off your *ss
and spend the evenings
(and early morning hours)
developing your new businesses.

Spend 4 months doing this
(9-5 job, 5-9 build your e-biz)
You're just in time to take the 30 day challenge--
starts in a few days)
Build up a few e-businesses
Get some cashflow
THEN-- report back here,
tell us you still have your sucky job,
but it's paying the bills,
and tell us how much more
you need to build your businesses
before they start to support you.

-Russ H.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
LOL RussH. I totally know what you're talking about. For the most part, I have toned down the "conspicuous wealth" indicators. (It was easy to get caught up in all of the materialism living in Orange County). I vividly remember dropping into an upscale restaurant in Newport Beach for lunch with my best friend. He was wearing shorts and a white t-shirt and flip flops; no watch, etc. Other patrons with the gaudy jewelry, shoes, purses, etc. in the restaurant looked at him and visibly judged him like he didn't belong. It totally made me smile. If they only knew...They're probably up to their eyeballs in debt trying to look rich while my friend makes over $30Milion a year at age 37. He purposefully dresses average, not trying to impress anyone. (Of course, we did pull up in his $300k Aston Martin DB9 Convertible...but that's because he likes it, he's not trying to show off).

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Same boat here, Russ is right on that it's all about attitude and I guess mine sucks b/c I've never been happy at a job(well I start off like a giddy lil' school-girl, then the honeymoon ends usually w/i a couple of months :smxB:)

In fact the last job I quit was for the opposite reason- too strict with the "dress code", well by my tastes(everyday was biz casual with "Jeans Friday" being the exception and you still had to wear a company logo'd collared shirt :nonod:).

Most of all it stepped on my work-life balance, I guess it's the German in me, but a j-o-b should ONLY be 40hrs/wk, focussing on efficiency, but when you're salaried(or salary+commission as was the case) 40 quickly turns to 50 which quickly turns to 60 and suddenly there's nothing left in the tank when you get home.

As far as embarking on the journey, while there are a few examples of e-biz success on here, it's a long journey and as MJ's story as an example, it takes a lot of low to negative pay hours before everything clicks.

I believe there's a Fastlane team for the 30 Day Challenge(I know I'm doing it and psyched :urock2:), but that would be a great start as well as reading up some of the great advice from jonleehacker, Biophase, lighthouse and andviv to help move you along, also doesn't hurt to network with some of the beginners such as GymJunkie and maximus... both of whom are on their way to success!

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
I'll check out the 30 day challenge, sounds like it might be what I need!
I think part of my problem (with my job now) is that I stress out about my job all day while I'm working, then 5 (or 6) o'clock comes around, I punch out, drive home, and am still stressed out about work until I fall asleep, and once I wake up I start thinking about "work". I dunno, maybe I'm :coco:, who knows. You're right though Russ, I guess there is enough time in the day to do both if I really bust a$$. Now its just a matter of figuring out what websites to focus on building...:smx4:

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Speedingpenguin:

First of all, be sure what you want to earn money from.

Secondly, build a network of people who can support your goal (financiers, supporters, dealmakers etc)?

Thirdly, laser focus.

Fourth, it will take time. So keep the job and use as much of the funds you get from that job to building your own business and/or invest it in passive incomes. Maybe you could join a syndicate of friends and family and purchase cashflow streams? That would be faster than actually building a company.

You could setup an LLC, open a bank account for it, deposit some joint funds. You find the deals, get help analyzing them if you need to. Purchase and collect cashflow and split it between all the people in the syndicate (according to ownership).
http://www.thefastlanetomillions.com/members/speedingpenguin.html

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
If you spend your off hours working on e-biz,

you won't have TIME to worry/think about your 9-5.

just DO it.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Speedingpenguin,

What do you do in your off hours?

Do you ever stay up late?

Could you harness these hours into productive biz-building time?

What is your typical evening like?

Or weekend/day off?

-Russ H.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
just DO it.

-Russ H.

God, if people could just learn the simple idea of "quick decisions" then the world would be a much happier and less stressful place.

All these people, who needs to analyze stuff to death and take years to make one simple decision. What is wrong with those people? Learn to make decisions in 4 minutes and then do a simple plan and then try it out. Adjust as you go.

The biggest obstacle to success are slow people. And people with a hard on for the word "impossible".

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
A typical evening for me:

I usually don't leave work till 5:30-5:45, and it takes me about a half hour to get home, so I get home anywhere between 6:00 and 6:30
After lugging around old car battery cores, brake caliper cores, power steering racks, etc. I'm pretty dirty so I'll take a quick shower and throw on a pair of jeans and a tee shirt.
Assuming I get home at 6:00, that puts me at around 6:20 to be "ready" to do anything. After that I'll usually head downstairs, say "hi" to my parents and my grandmother, chat with them for a few minutes, and eat dinner.
I'm typically back up in my room on my computer at 7:00 (Just in time to catch the "Stairway to Seven", a block of Led Zeppelin tunes on my favorite radio station). I'll check the forums I'm active on quickly, usually get a little bit distracted, but by 7:30 I either am playing around with Dreamweaver and Photoshop or I'm watching videos or reading articles related to business, marketing, advertising, selling, etc. and bounce from one thing to another for a while.
I guess this takes up more time than I realize, because next thing I know its 9:30-10:00 and mentally I'm falling asleep, but because I can't actually get to sleep that early, I keep browsing the web looking at photoshop tutorials or reading more articles about e-business, how to build websites, etc., and by 11:00 I'm usually in bed so I can wake up at 6:30 the next morning and go to work.

I used to be a real night owl, back when I was in high school and even for about a year after I graduated. It was typical for me to be up until 3:00am sometimes even later, but I didn't have to wake up until 8:00-9:00.
I can still manage a late night (not 3am late, more like 1:30 and I'm literally dozing off in front of the computer), but the next day I feel like a zombie and those are usually the days where I come home from work and mess around on the computer rather than doing anything productive.

On weekends I'll usually sleep till 8:00 or 9:00, and I'll spend the first hour or two I'm awake catching up on the forums (like I'm doing now), then I'll take a shower, get dressed, make myself something to eat, and I've been trying lately to get myself outside and doing some sort of physical activity. I've really begun to enjoy going for walks through the woods. Not being the most physically active person, I feel this is important for me to get a little bit of fresh air and exercise, even if its just walking for 45 minutes to an hour. I'll usually then come back and take care of laundry that needs to be done, I'll clean my room/desk, vacuum out my car, or run any quick errands I have to take care of. By this time its 2:00ish, I'll bring lunch upstairs, and I'll do some work trying to make progress on one of the websites I'm trying to build, mixed in with more reading stuff about making money on the internet, real estate, etc.
The rest of the afternoon is a blur, I guess I just jump from reading one article or post to the next. I enjoy cooking, so I usually spend an hour or so on the weekend evenings cooking up a nice dinner, and I'll either hang out with my family for a while and then come back up stairs for the usual week-day evening routine, or I'll hang out with my girlfriend.

I guess its fairly obvious where a big part of my problem is, and I gotta say Russ, I dunno if this was your intention, but even though I kinda had an idea what a big part of my problem was, doing this exercise really emphasized where I need to change.
I guess I feel like if I'm reading or learning something that could be useful, I'm being productive, but maybe I'm letting myself spend too much time "learning" where I should be "doing" instead.

Today I'm going to clean up my room and my desk, everything's a mess, but I think I'm gonna try keeping track of the time I spend actually WORKING on making my business goals happen ("punch in/out" if you will) and force myself to act as though browsing the web (for any reason) is strictly not allowed, so I can focus more on actually getting stuff done.

Russ, I think you did a great job helping me get going in the right direction by asking me to post this. Writing it out helped me to see where I'm going wrong. I know there's more to it than just this, but I know this is a huge part of where my issues lie. Thanks for the very valuable guidance!
And Fanocks, you're 100% right. I need to quit screwing around and over thinking everything, I need to just start DOING. I'm gonna get started today. I'm gonna check out the 30 day challenge right now and its full throttle ahead from here.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
No more parking for you, Pengiun.

Rep speed for doing the exercise-- and REALIZING where your time is going.

There's even more rep speed (and success) for DOING-- from many of the fastlane members.

. . . as you hit milestones or DO THINGS, let us know!

-Russ H.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
Great Post, Russ. Good reminder for us all to really analyze how we spend our time. I am frequently busy, but not always effective with my time.
-Speedingpenguin-I understand you hate your job and want out asap. That's always a good motivator to achieve more towards your goal, knowing that your job is temporary and that with each day, you are closer and closer to being able to do what you truly want. Your specific job sounds physically and emotionally draining and makes you unhappy. If you were making 6-figures and the salary would enable you to get to your goals faster, I might recommend sucking it up and pushing hard for your goal. But if you're only making $11/hr. now (that's not a slam) and have low expenses and responsibilities and the support of your family, why don't you find another job that you enjoy more with better clientele and less stress? Even working at Starbuck's for a couple bucks less per hour would probably be a better, more enjoyable environment for you with customers that don't complain and that shower almost daily! :smxB:

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
speedingpenguin-It's really easy for one day to roll into the next. Routine of normal activities can ruin or delay goals and motivation. I would start a mind map on a big sheet of paper. Write your ultimate goal at the top with your income goal as well. Brainstorm and draw lines to the different aspects of this goal. (Back in the day, for me, it was $1M per year from my real estate investments. Next level down was 1) Primary residences I would buy and remodel and flip while I lived there 2-3 years-$300k per year. 2) SFH-Lease to own-w $goal 3) Apartment buildings-w $goal, etc. Then next level down were steps broken down. ie-to achieve $300k for annual apt bldg goal, I needed "X" number of properties with 'X" NOI. Next level, to achieve this, I need to put offers on "X" # of buildings per month to actually purchase "X" # of bldgs, etc. Next, break down baby steps-commercal re brokers, lenders, resources, etc. NEXT put time deadlines next to the baby steps, middle goals and ultimate goal. Print out a monthly and weekly calendar. Put your self-imposed deadlines on them. Then set your weekly schedule with what tasks you need to achieve daily. Schedule what time you will dedicate and make that your job. ACT AS IF: ie: Your real job of your goals is from 8PM until 12PM M-F, 9-5 Sat & Sun. (adds up to 36 hrs/week). Check in w yourself every Sunday to see what hours you put in and what tasks you achieved. Make changes or improvements and plan your next week. Now go kick *ss! :urock2:

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
Thanks!!!! Great posts!
I love the idea of the Mind Map! I'll start working on that tonight, and maybe I'll make a page on my personal website dedicated to my journey to success rather than starting a new thread.
As far as finding another job goes, I think I'm gonna work on that too. 'Cause you're right, 11 bucks an hour and miserable before during and after work sucks, I'd be psyched making 9 bucks an hour doing something that I at least don't mind doing, and doesn't follow me around AFTER work.

Cleaning my room/desk/work area today I came across a "Thank you" card I got in April of 06 from my boss at the time (Was working in the back room at Target). It wasn't a "Target" card or anything, but a card that he had purchased on his own and it said
"Chris,
Thank you for your hard work in the back room. Your leadership in the evenings is really starting to pay off. Great job!"
I enjoyed working at Target. Little things like that went a LONG way, and I was proud of my work and busted my a$$ for them making sure everything was SPOTLESS. My boss back then was great, but the job went downhill when he transfered to a different store. Maybe I'll hunt him down and see if he could use some help. (the pay was pretty good too, for the difficulty of the work)

Oh and I signed up for the 30 Day Challenge :smx2:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Chris I did some googling of your user name. It looks like you have been spending a lot of time with gearheads in your off time. This may be a natural extension of your work.

I'm a big time gearhead myself(partially reformed) so I speak from experience. Being a gearhead consumes a huge amount of time, money, and energy. Most of those gearheads are into it for a hobby and there's nothing wrong with it if that's what you want to do.

My point here is be careful who you hang with. It's all about the like minds thing. If you hang with obsessed gearheads you will spend your money and time on that stuff. If you want to build businesses and grow your money and investments then, IMHO, you will have to hang with a crowd that is focused on that goal.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.:cheers:

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
haha yup, cars have been my thing for the last few years... hell, when I was a senior in high school I was planning on going to the university of northwestern Ohio, to get a degree in high performance auto technology. Would have been fun, but I'm glad I backed out at the last minute. Lately I've lost interest in that sorta stuff almost completely though. I went through a couple of Firebirds, a Mustang Cobra, a Daytona Shelby Z, a couple of Jeeps, an 81 Malibu, but now I'm happy driving an Eldorado and paying other people to do anything outside of minor repairs and service. I saw what a time and money pit having souped up cars was, so I'll get back into it when I have the money to really have fun. From here on in I'm only going UP as far as cars go. I'm happy with my Caddy, and once the money is rolling in and I've got a house and all, I think my next step will be a 911 Turbo or an Esprit :)

I spend VERY little time socializing outside of the computer. Almost all of my "friends" are immature, up to sketchy stuff, and not nearly the same type of personailty as me. Most of them are pretty much the exact opposite of what I want to be. The couple of friends that I'm somewhat close with are intelligent and have goals, but aren't really doing much to achieve them. They aren't as serious about getting going towards their goals as I am, and most of their free time is spent socializing, which is fine, but not for me. I'm trying to meet more people around here who have similar goals and ambitions, but so far all I've met are the MLM/Amway folks. Great people, but again, not my style.

*bing!* an idea just popped into my head... uh oh, :rofl:

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
++Runum. Thanks. I have to agree with the comment on the people you hang out with. I (not so intentionally) seem to have a circle of self-made mega-millionaire friends who are like-minded. I have learned so much from them and attribute much of my success to them opening my eyes to what's possible and specifically how to achieve it.
speedingpenguin-I would recommend maybe skipping Target as a job option. It's a great company, but if you want to be around, get in with and learn from really wealthy, successful people, go where they are. My 37-year old friend who makes $30+ Million a year started out as a waiter at the Ritz Carlton. His regular patrons got to know him and gave him advice. One customer in particular took him under his wing and showed him how to start his own company. With regard to me personally, there was a waitress at my country club who, by getting to know me a little, found out I was into real estate investing. She expressed an interest in geting into real estate as well. I am now mentoring her. She'll come by my house after work sometimes. I gave her a starter reading list, answer her questions and showed her how to window-shop for properties and analyze deals. I'm happy to do it. I got where I am from my successful millionaire mentors too. I would suggest you apply for a job at high-end restaurants, resorts, country clubs, etc. Or find out what private airports are around you for the private jets. Even if you're the guy who takes the luggage to the planes, you'll get to talk to people while they wait in the lounge for a few minutes while the pilot plots their course. (Even as a valet, parking Ferraris and Bentleys will keep you motivated to get home and crank on your goals!):groove:

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
LaurenIvy said:
I would recommend maybe skipping Target as a job option. It's a great company, but if you want to be around, get in with and learn from really wealthy, successful people, go where they are. My 37-year old friend who makes $30+ Million a year started out as a waiter at the Ritz Carlton. His regular patrons got to know him and gave him advice. One customer in particular took him under his wing and showed him how to start his own company. With regard to me personally, there was a waitress at my country club who, by getting to know me a little, found out I was into real estate investing. She expressed an interest in geting into real estate as well. I am now mentoring her. She'll come by my house after work sometimes. I gave her a starter reading list, answer her questions and showed her how to window-shop for properties and analyze deals. I'm happy to do it. I got where I am from my successful millionaire mentors too. I would suggest you apply for a job at high-end restaurants, resorts, country clubs, etc. Or find out what private airports are around you for the private jets. Even if you're the guy who takes the luggage to the planes, you'll get to talk to people while they wait in the lounge for a few minutes while the pilot plots their course. (Even as a valet, parking Ferraris and Bentleys will keep you motivated to get home and crank on your goals!)
Couldn't agree more.

That's how I got my background-- captains of industry, venture caps, multi-millionaires, a few billionaires, and some celebs hired me to work on their homes.

Amazing what you can learn from someone who trusts you in their home.

-Russ H.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
...I would recommend maybe skipping Target as a job option. It's a great company, but if you want to be around, get in with and learn from really wealthy, successful people, go where they are. ...I would suggest you apply for a job at high-end restaurants, resorts, country clubs, etc. Or find out what private airports are around you for the private jets. Even if you're the guy who takes the luggage to the planes, you'll get to talk to people while they wait in the lounge for a few minutes while the pilot plots their course. (Even as a valet, parking Ferraris and Bentleys will keep you motivated to get home and crank on your goals!):groove:
This is the exact same advice I was going to give him. If you start hanging out with DO-ers, you will soon begin to see that Action is normal, and not something to fear. You will also see that they are "normal" people, just like you. This always helps with the belief. On the other hand, if you look at the 5 people you hang out with most, and average their incomes, you're probably right in the middle. Changing your environment will open up a whole new world of possibility and expectations for you. and you can make a WHOLE lot more than $11/hr waiting tables or other types of tip-based service jobs.

Bobo

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Mar 25, 2008
I have a lot of responsibility, but not very much control

Herein lies the root cause of roughly 50% of all dementia in men. Women cause the other half of course.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Herein lies the root cause of roughly 50% of all dementia in men. Women cause the other half of course.

I guess the proof is in the pudding. You had your say AFTER Jill had her say.:groove:

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Beat me to it Greg :p

And great advice Lauren! While a lot of those jobs aren't very glamorous(despite usually requiring certain attire and appearance) it is a much more productive environment than being in a cube-farm with a bunch of pessimistic(or as they call themselves, "realistic") nobodies, who are usually the same people who find pleasure in telling others what they CANT or SHOULDNT do versus what they CAN and SHOULD.

In fact working as a waiter, luggage attendant or valet not only gives you access to the very same successful people you want to become, but also require the same hard-work, good attitude and dedication it takes to become successful in your own business.

It's much like what Jill mentioned as I first learned that from RK's book "Cashflow Quadrant" and it is so true, that your income level is equivalent to the 5 people closest to you, even my closest friends who earn decent wages in white-collar jobs still have a disempowering attitude or believe that punching a clock and "paying your dues" to climb the corporate ladder is the only "real" way to make it, but when I come here it's all about positivity, inspiration and motivation, if only I could hang out with you guys more than the 4 days of B&P :smxB:

PS- Chris- I feel ya on the car boards and losing interest in "souped up" cars, the first forum I joined was the day I got my VR4(12/28/00) and while I learned a lot about how to repair/upgrade/maintain that car, the time, money, headache, effort put into upgrading, repairing and talking about that car could've been better spent starting a business to buy my actual dream car(see avatar :coolgleamA:)

LaughedAt

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 20, 2007
Israel
PS- Chris- I feel ya on the car boards and losing interest in "souped up" cars, the first forum I joined was the day I got my VR4(12/28/00) and while I learned a lot about how to repair/upgrade/maintain that car, the time, money, headache, effort put into upgrading, repairing and talking about that car could've been better spent starting a business to buy my actual dream car(see avatar :coolgleamA:)

You better hurry up, not many of them are for sale currently, this one is a bargain at 859k :cool:
2005 Used Porsche Gemballa Mirage Gt at Exotic Motorcars in Boynton Beach, FL | Bentley, Lamborghini, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, IID 3103286

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Same boat here, Russ is right on that it's all about attitude and I guess mine sucks b/c I've never been happy at a job(well I start off like a giddy lil' school-girl, then the honeymoon ends usually w/i a couple of months :smxB:)

I'm in the same boat. I've eventually been fired from every job I've had for having a shitty attitude. Right now I've managed to stay with the same company for 10 years -- No idea how that happened. ROFL -- It sure had nothing to do with me developing a more positive outlook on Corporate America. I still despise these sharks, and everything they stand for. I'm just a whore for the corporate world ;) -- Collecting those paychecks, and hoping it will all end one day soon.

Be glad you're still young enough to avoid this world all together Penguin ;) -- Once it sucks you in, it becomes addictive and very hard to leave. You end up with your whole family depending on that paycheck, and then you're really uner the gun. If you think it's hard walking away from an $11/hr job when you are single and living at Mom & Dad's -- imagine how hard it is to walk away from a $40/hr job when you really depend on that money to stay afloat.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
haha yeah I guess I'm in a good position to be going through this now...

And a VR4, huh? My little bro has a 92 RT/TT Stealth, he rebuilt the motor and did a little work to it, i got to drive it the other day. Not the most comfortable car I've driven (driving a Caddy now so I guess anything would feel uncomfortable in comparison), but seems like a fun car to mess around with! I could easily see myself getting into trouble with one :smug2:

I don't really think I could work at Target again. They have a bad reputation around here for giving people almost ZERO hours, I've got a few friends who are still trapped working there for whatever reason. I am interested in the restaurant industry... I love cooking, and later on down the road it might be fun to try starting a restaurant... so maybe I'll look into something like that:smxF:

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
You only live once, speedingpenguin. You should do what your heart tells you to do. It looks like you've gained some valuable experience from your job, so get out there and use that experience and MAKE AN IMPACT!! :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.