The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I get a job or go all in on my Web Design Agency?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Nicholas04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Dec 5, 2023
Hey guys I just started my web design agency a couple days ago, I have 2 potential clients but no cashflow yet. I don't have many bills to pay as I don't have a car and I'm living at home. However, my mother is getting impatient with me as I tell her, "I've got a couple clients interested." One of which I've hopped on a call with. I'm not trying to "sidewalk", I really am trying to hustle and make some money so I can at the very least pay her more rent than I am. She does need some help financially as she's unemployed, living off my father's alimony and child support (which is about to run out), and has been for 4 years. I've been paying $25 a week in rent, which is a steal I understand, but she is pressuring me into taking a job at an auto parts store doing stock and working the register. My thing is I don' think its a good time trade. Think like $800 for 2 weeks work, when I could make $2,000 in 2 weeks or more if I worked diligently and got really good referrals. I didn't go to school for web design and I've really only started building WordPress sites and Shopify stores recently, but I've been doing graphic design for about 6 years now and have made some decent money freelancing. What I'm just struggling with what the best course of action is.

Do I:

1. Take the job, work 8hrs a day 4-5 days a week, and do my business as a side hustle (safe route, bad time trade, guaranteed but takes 2 weeks to payout, less availability for clients)

Or

2. Go all in the web design business, follow up with the two people interested, close them, and ask for referrals (risky route, no guarantees, but high ROI, very responsive to clients, no safety net)

I was told by my mentor that if I wanted to, I could offer a 20% discount if they could give me 5 names/businesses that they knew who could use a website or some graphics done.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
168 hrs in a week.
Map them out for 1 and 2 listed above.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
To follow up, in case OP does not do the time map;
most people make these big EITHER / OR statements. Dude, just because you have a job, doesn't mean you can't work your business. And 'Go All In' is often just code speak for 'pretend to be in business and chill'. These will be the people that say 'they've done everything, including make 7 phones calls!, and just can't make $10k / mo for doing nothing.

Now @Nicholas04 , I'm picking on your thread to help others, not throw shade to you.
I actually think you'll map the time, post it, and have your answer right there. And good on you for helping Mom.
Time to get her motivated doing something as well. Could she help in your business??

Nicholas04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Dec 5, 2023
To follow up, in case OP does not do the time map;
most people make these big EITHER / OR statements. Dude, just because you have a job, doesn't mean you can't work your business. And 'Go All In' is often just code speak for 'pretend to be in business and chill'. These will be the people that say 'they've done everything, including make 7 phones calls!, and just can't make $10k / mo for doing nothing.

Now @Nicholas04 , I'm picking on your thread to help others, not throw shade to you.
I actually think you'll map the time, post it, and have your answer right there. And good on you for helping Mom.
Time to get her motivated doing something as well. Could she help in your business??
I do think she has my best interest in mind when it comes to working, I think also she’s kind of in “survival mode” as well as fighting off a long term illness for a few years now. I’ll take the job and continue to work on the web design stuff on the side. If I work 40hrs a week at $15/hr (minimum wage I think) I’ll make $2,400 a month. I’m working on saving up for a truck so I can do more side work, so maybe the job won’t be so bad. When things pick up with the business I’ll moved to that.

Thanks @ZCP for your help!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Go ahead and map out the 168 hrs. Make sure the business gets its time, your family gets time, your health gets time, your sleep gets time, your studying / getting better gets time. Map it to a standard week and use it to 'block schedule' each week so you get shit done.

Nicholas04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Dec 5, 2023
Go ahead and map out the 168 hrs. Make sure the business gets its time, your family gets time, your health gets time, your sleep gets time, your studying / getting better gets time. Map it to a standard week and use it to 'block schedule' each week so you get shit done.
I’ve never done this before, I’ve made a schedule in Notes but not a map, could you give me an example?

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Hey guys I just started my web design agency a couple days ago, I have 2 potential clients but no cashflow yet. I don't have many bills to pay as I don't have a car and I'm living at home. However, my mother is getting impatient with me as I tell her, "I've got a couple clients interested." One of which I've hopped on a call with. I'm not trying to "sidewalk", I really am trying to hustle and make some money so I can at the very least pay her more rent than I am. She does need some help financially as she's unemployed, living off my father's alimony and child support (which is about to run out), and has been for 4 years. I've been paying $25 a week in rent, which is a steal I understand, but she is pressuring me into taking a job at an auto parts store doing stock and working the register. My thing is I don' think its a good time trade. Think like $800 for 2 weeks work, when I could make $2,000 in 2 weeks or more if I worked diligently and got really good referrals. I didn't go to school for web design and I've really only started building WordPress sites and Shopify stores recently, but I've been doing graphic design for about 6 years now and have made some decent money freelancing. What I'm just struggling with what the best course of action is.

Do I:

1. Take the job, work 8hrs a day 4-5 days a week, and do my business as a side hustle (safe route, bad time trade, guaranteed but takes 2 weeks to payout, less availability for clients)

Or

2. Go all in the web design business, follow up with the two people interested, close them, and ask for referrals (risky route, no guarantees, but high ROI, very responsive to clients, no safety net)

I was told by my mentor that if I wanted to, I could offer a 20% discount if they could give me 5 names/businesses that they knew who could use a website or some graphics done.

You are underestimating how long it takes to build a client list and referral.

Anything worth doing in the long run will suck first 2-3 years minimum even if you put in the work.

Your mom doesn’t have time for that.

You are also underestimating the business potential of working in an auto parts store to open more future business potential

Not every business needs a website but most men love cars.

The car market is magnitudes bigger than web design or graphic design.

The auto parts store can hire an employee. This speaks volume on their profitability and marker demand locally

Last edited:

leebut

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 1, 2024
I think a good mentor should be telling you more than that. If your mentor is a talking head on a video or a paragraph in a book or must have newsletter, that's not a mentor. Get a real mentor to sit/talk with you, and properly go through your options and guide you a bit more.

Wouldn't it be more effective to offer, say $25 - $50 or whatever value is more representative to your situation, to both parties ONLY if the referred party takes up your services over a particular order value? Anyone can throw names and phone numbers at you for 20%, with no guarantee of business for you. 20% can be quite a chunk of cash on a large project. To me, 20% sounds a bit wishy-washy, but people immediately understand currency values.

Have you considered a part-time job? Negotiate a good rate for mornings or afternoons only. Then you get an extra four hours a day for your fast lane business. Jobs don't have to be full-time.

My fast lane service that I'm developing will help you. It's going to be a few months before it will be ready to be deployed, though.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
right now you have a few major things:

Job Day
auto parts job 9 hrs a day
sleep 8 hours a day
side hustle 6 hours a day
health 1 hour a day

Non job day
side hustle 9 hrs a day
sleep 8 hours a day
health / friends 4 hours a day
learn something 3 hours a day

June goals:
create value to acquire $4.5k to obtain a truck OR trade value for a truck
learn x skill to y% efficiency as scored by z
make 100 new business contacts and setp 3 lunchs
go to the gym 25 times

then block that to your calendar and put your goals where you see them every single morning.
something like that
-------
and if you are already making excuses that 'brush your teeth' isn't on the list, you are missing the point.

Nicholas04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Dec 5, 2023

how much time do you BLOCK for your big, important tasks that help you achieve your goals?
To be honest, I'm a little disorganized as of the last few months, I need to rebuild a schedule and I will do that today.

Nicholas04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Dec 5, 2023
You are underestimating how long it takes to build a client list and referral.

Anything worth doing in the long run will suck first 2-3 years minimum even if you put in the work.

Your mom doesn’t have time for that.

You are also underestimating the business potential of working in an auto parts store to open more future business potential

Not every business needs a website but most men love cars.

The car market is magnitudes bigger than web design or graphic design.

The auto parts store can hire an employee. This speaks volume on their profitability and marker demand locally
You're right, long term I don't really want to be building websites, as it's really a slowlane business. I really wanted to be an inventor and create products that solve problems. As cliché as it is, as kid most people around me said I should be an engineer. I never went to school to be one but have always found solutions to problems around the house in my spare time. Learned basic CAD (TinkerCad) in 6th grade, picked it back up again in 9th grade, and have been using that ever since to draft ideas. I though I could make some money as a hustle web designing, but I am ultimately more graphic designer than web designer.

Nicholas04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Dec 5, 2023
right now you have a few major things:

Job Day
auto parts job 9 hrs a day
sleep 8 hours a day
side hustle 6 hours a day
health 1 hour a day

Non job day
side hustle 9 hrs a day
sleep 8 hours a day
health / friends 4 hours a day
learn something 3 hours a day

June goals:
create value to acquire $4.5k to obtain a truck OR trade value for a truck
learn x skill to y% efficiency as scored by z
make 100 new business contacts and setp 3 lunchs
go to the gym 25 times

then block that to your calendar and put your goals where you see them every single morning.
something like that
-------
and if you are already making excuses that 'brush your teeth' isn't on the list, you are missing the point.
Also how many days a week should I work? I've been unemployed since October, with a short stint of employment last month as a barback. I have good work ethic but the late hours were messing with my sleep. I've sold many of my game consoles to pay rent here and buy food. It's not a good way to live, and it's very "sidewalker-esque." I'm gonna take the job and work on the side hustle as a side hustle.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Also how many days a week should I work? I've been unemployed since October, with a short stint of employment last month as a barback. I have good work ethic but the late hours were messing with my sleep. I've sold many of my game consoles to pay rent here and buy food. It's not a good way to live, and it's very "sidewalker-esque." I'm gonna take the job and work on the side hustle as a side hustle.
you have 168 hours a week. YOU get to decide how to spend them (and whether you are getting a positive ROI on that resource).

what is the best path to achieve your goals with those hours as your resource to do so?
put that schedule in place and try it out for two weeks.

try it. post your blocked schedule for the next 2 weeks.

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
May 9, 2021
Working projects around a dayjob is not a problem, however you'll need to severely understand your why and not get beaten down at work (and it will happen)- you'll need to bounce back and fight that frustration along with the frustration and fatigue that comes up from setting up the projects outside of that.

Overall though, if you've got nothing else, take the job, but don't feel attached, if you somehow close 5 sales from referrals after you do these 2 guys, run out the front door of that job in your underwear screaming if you have to, don't let the paycheck heroin get ya.

Last edited:

Nicholas04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Dec 5, 2023
Working projects around a dayjob is now problem, however you'll need to severely understand your why and not get beaten down at work (and it will happen)- you'll need to bounce back and fight that frustration along with the frustration and fatigue that comes up from setting up the projects outside of that.

Overall though, if you've got nothing else, take the job, but don't feel attached, if you somehow close 5 sales from referrals after you do these 2 guys, run out the front door of that job in your underwear screaming if you have to, don't let the paycheck heroin get ya.
I've never been super connected to any job I've taken. I am a hard worker and I owe that to my father, I have proven to myself in the past that I am capable of discipline and focused, but it really is about the why. Last summer I was asked to move in with my grandmother to take care of her, I had a "why", a purpose, and value. She was relatively low maintenance, and I was able to work a fulltime job and work on my "skill acquisition" at the same time. Life was good, I felt like I was really doing great. I was all over "the grind", great workouts, positive mindset, learning skills, spending time outside, disciplined schedule, sleep was great. But towards the end of the summer when she was about ready to sell her house and move in with my uncle, the energy changed. It was getting cooler out, more and more people were coming for open houses, and everything felt displaced. I felt displaced, like my job was done. So I returned home in October, since then I'd been in "self improvement learn mode" (mental mast*rbation mode, wantrepreneur mode, etc.) In my time since October I came up with a bunch of "invention and business ideas" one of which I attempted to pursue but quit on due to lack of funds and lack of planning. Really I'm running around everyday with no plan, no money, and these dreams that everything is gonna work out as long as I continue to tell myself "I'm a high value man".

leebut

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Jun 1, 2024
I don't really want to be building websites, as it's really a slowlane business.
It probably is. I thought about webdesign services a while back, but each site will take time on a 1-to-1 time basis. Now, those companies that provide site builders have the fast lane business. Why spend hours building sites for clients, when you can have them make their own, while tying them into the service for a monthly fee? Slowlaners use the tools, fastlaners make them.

Now, I am building a tool for millions of people to use.

MichelleWood

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jun 28, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Really I'm running around everyday with no plan, no money, and these dreams that everything is gonna work out as long as I continue to tell myself "I'm a high value man".
Maybe take sometime to work on the Vision you want for your future? Otherwise what are you working for/building a business?

I was reminded of this last week and found it helpful to get clarity.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Feb 11, 2019
I've never been super connected to any job I've taken. I am a hard worker and I owe that to my father, I have proven to myself in the past that I am capable of discipline and focused, but it really is about the why. Last summer I was asked to move in with my grandmother to take care of her, I had a "why", a purpose, and value. She was relatively low maintenance, and I was able to work a fulltime job and work on my "skill acquisition" at the same time. Life was good, I felt like I was really doing great. I was all over "the grind", great workouts, positive mindset, learning skills, spending time outside, disciplined schedule, sleep was great. But towards the end of the summer when she was about ready to sell her house and move in with my uncle, the energy changed. It was getting cooler out, more and more people were coming for open houses, and everything felt displaced. I felt displaced, like my job was done. So I returned home in October, since then I'd been in "self improvement learn mode" (mental mast*rbation mode, wantrepreneur mode, etc.) In my time since October I came up with a bunch of "invention and business ideas" one of which I attempted to pursue but quit on due to lack of funds and lack of planning. Really I'm running around everyday with no plan, no money, and these dreams that everything is gonna work out as long as I continue to tell myself "I'm a high value man".
The final sentence is important. When I just started my entrepreneurial path (which basically means - job stupid, business smart), I had read books, watched a lot of interviews, etc. and somehow I was certain that "it won't be easy, it will take time, but I will succeed. I will make a million a year, it's not crazy to believe it, it's crazy that most people don't."

Guess what I now know 6-8 years later (not sure when the actual starting point was)! It is extremely difficult to build a profitable business and scale it to the riches. It's not even about having the right skills, information, or capital, it's how much you need to change mentally and as a person. It's 90% a mental battle.

Entrepreneurship is not a sprint and not even a marathon, it's a mental ultra-endurance event.

So don't be like me who thought that I can relax and success will eventually, magically arrive. It won't, you have to go and get it (and it's up a very long, very steep hill, the view from up there is probably nice though).

marcverdier

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 11, 2024

Do I:

Or

Well, good topic: See...No one can make this choice for you...just open your mind and learn more about yourself, you already have the answer. Do you feel you're in your element in graphic or web design? are you really passionate about it? ( since you have been practicing graphic design for 6 years and +). In life, it's about doing what suits your personality the best. I know you are thinking about your short-term responsibilities, burdens and obligations but on the other hand, think about that long-term vision of yourself ..(that answer often comes when you project yourself into the future after being proud with your new designs, achievements etc... that answer usually comes when time don't really matter and you don't feel like you're working despite the fact that you spent days & nights at work for those results..The best job is when you don't feel like you're working...or feeling like you're exchanging your time for renumeration. Wish you success.

Nicholas04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Dec 5, 2023
Maybe take sometime to work on the Vision you want for your future? Otherwise what are you working for/building a business?

I was reminded of this last week and found it helpful to get clarity.
Thank you for your reply, I really don't know my "why". I start but have trouble with commitment, it really is a 90% mental game, it's time I sit down with a pen and paper and figure out what it is I'm living for. I have always had the entrepreneurial spirit since I was a kid and it was alive within my 2 grandfathers as well. I'm gonna get my head right before I go into any business. I want to make sure I put out real value not a desperate plea for survival and selfishness. I've read, listened, and reread Fastlane multiple times but I can't seem to put it into practice. I know there isn't any magic pill, silver bullet, or secret sauce but I don't know where to begin.

Nicholas04

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Dec 5, 2023
Well, good topic: See...No one can make this choice for you...just open your mind and learn more about yourself, you already have the answer. Do you feel you're in your element in graphic or web design? are you really passionate about it? ( since you have been practicing graphic design for 6 years and +). In life, it's about doing what suits your personality the best. I know you are thinking about your short-term responsibilities, burdens and obligations but on the other hand, think about that long-term vision of yourself ..(that answer often comes when you project yourself into the future after being proud with your new designs, achievements etc... that answer usually comes when time don't really matter and you don't feel like you're working despite the fact that you spent days & nights at work for those results..The best job is when you don't feel like you're working...or feeling like you're exchanging your time for renumeration. Wish you success.
I am creative by nature, and always have been. As a kid in summer camp, I'd create bows using sticks of the ground and string from peoples discarded friendship bracelets, and created a "business" where people could buy them for between .50 cents and $6.00. It was insane, and my first business. Also, I started working out about 2 years ago. I've been going consistantly since I started. This was a "process", the event was and still is being in awesome physical shape. I'm trying to figure out how to reverse engineer that thinking and drive to succeed in the gym and apply it to building a CENTS business. To remove the selfish thinking, and replace it was selfless thinking, and to address the problems of others. I haven't come across any problems to solve because I rarely leave the house. My mentor put it best "So you walk around the house all day, buff, no girls, no money and no passion. How am I doing?" I know he's right. But where do I go from here?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.