The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My life changing decision

nipsid

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 6, 2008
Phoenix
So I decided to make a huge change in my life. Leave everything behind, pack up my life and leave for the US to start my business. If it wasnt for this forum I wouldn't be doing this. I decided I would make a progress thread of my journey.

Where should I start
For the past year I wanted to move to the US and start my own business. The main thing that stopped me was money. I didnt have enough to make the move. After a lot of research I cut a lot of my costs, such as rent, and I could make it happen. I've been ready to go for some time. I have enough but something needed to give me a push to make the move. That push was death.

Its time to take action and move forward
It was May 5 when I decided it was time to move. In the past 3 to 4 months 4 people I knew passed away and another had been given 6 months to live. The oldest was 53 and the youngest was 17. This was a real eye opener for me to get a move on with my life. It was time to 'take action' and move forward in my life instead of wasting time. I decided I was going to sell everything I had, leave my family and friends to move to the US and start my business. First I had to decide where I was going to move. I already had a good idea.

Where should I move?
I decided about a year ago i wanted to move to the US and I wanted to live somewhere hot with outdoor life. So that really narrowed down the possible states. The options were Florida, Texas, Arizona, Nevada, and California. I crossed California off pretty quickly due to the cost of living. Nevada was also crossed off quickly because the only real city is Vegas and it was not for me. I looked into Texas but none of the cities really caught my eye. So that left Florida and Arizona. I've been to Florida loads of times and its a great place. The things that put me off were the humidity, bugs, random rain and hurricanes. I didnt know if I could put up with them. That left Arizona. So the cities I thought about were Tucson and Phoenix. I read a lot about them on the city-data forums. It sounded like Tucson was a step down from Phoenix and no one really liked it. So I decided on Phoenix. Since I'm young and know no one in the state I wanted to live somewhere that I could meet other young people. I knew Phoenix had ASU and I looked where it was and starting researching the towns nearby. Now there is only so much you can read and find out without actually visiting but it sounded like Old Scottsdale or Tempe was right for me. I may like somewhere else once I arrive. The worst thing that can happen is I hate Arizona and move to a different state, Florida will be my first option.

Where am I going to live?

Well I dont know anyone in the state so I cant stay with a family member or friend. It looked like I would have to arrange an apartment before hand without seeing it and hope for the best. My worry was I wont like the place or the apartment and I'm stuck in a 6 or 12 month lease. If that happened I would probably become home sick, not want to make friends and become depressed. So I found on Craigslist.org a section called 'sublets / temporary' This was would be perfect because I didnt have to like the place, I would be leaving it in a month or so and while I'm staying there I can see different areas and find somewhere I like. There was another section which had listings for shares. If you dont know what that is its basically a house that has each room rented out. So you live with other people and pay a share of the total rent and bills. This was a great way to keep costs down but also meet people and start making friends.

In May the sublets / temporary section was full of sublets. Everyone was leaving ASU for the summer. I could be so picky and find the perfect place the only problem was I had not booked my ticket...

My plane ticket
I decided on May 5 I was moving. I was aiming for July because this would give me enough time to get ready and sell everything I have. I looked at tickets and it was about 400 pounds. A long story short is I got delayed and I ended up booking my ticket a lot later than I wanted to. Due to this the dates I wanted were fully booked and the prices were rising fast. It was June 6th and the tickets went up 150 pounds in less than 48 hours. I booked my ticket on June 8th and I was leaving earlier than I anticipated. I would be leaving early morning of June 25th. That gave me 17 days to sell everything I had and find somewhere to live. My biggest worry was finding somewhere to stay. I went straight on the sublets/temporary section of craigslist. Things had changed since May. There were not really any ads. I found a place in Tempe that was right next to ASU. So far so good, the ad even said they wanted someone asap so maybe my dates would work out. The only problem is I would be living with 3 girls, but thats not terrible

How did I arrange living? (part two)

I sent an email to the inquiring about the ad. I got an email straight back. It turned out she was leaving the 24th! That was perfect for me and perfect for her. After a few emails back and forth, seeing each others facebooks, I sent the first months deposit and I had a place to live! This didnt happen as fast as it sounds, it took about a week. Originally I thought I would have trouble finding a place to suit my dates. I guess I got lucky there.

17 days to pack up and move!
My plan was to sell everything I own on ebay. I would put everything up at 0.99 with no reserve. I knew I wouldn't get anywhere near the price I paid for things but a little money is better than none. I also thought once I arrive I can buy things from craigslist rather than a store. I still have a few things to sell but the the expensive items are gone.

One thing that I really did not want to sell was my Lexus IS200. This was a car that I really wanted and I had saved up for. I traveled 4 hours each way to buy it. Also in the current conditions selling a car should be hard. Especially when you have to sell it in 17 days. I finally put it up for sale on the evening of the 13th, which was a Saturday. I had 12 days to sell my car! I knew most people look on the weekends and I should've put it up on Thursday or Friday. Still I was confident that I would sell it, I had really good pictures and a great description. Well days passed and I started to get worried. 4 people had contacted me, 3 were scammers and 1 wanted to trade. Things were not looking good but I knew it was because I wanted to sell it quickly and people dont have that much cash to buy a car. On Saturday night I got a phone call about it. I got a low offer and said no. He was using the classic lines when buying a used car. I've read everything he was doing and used it to my advantage. We agreed on a price and I sold my car yesterday, 21st of June. I only owned my car for 4 months but I put 6,000 miles on it and loved every minute. The best part is, I sold it for more that I bought it for! This is the second car I have made a profit on in the past 8 months. Pretty crazy huh?

Once I arrive
I think it will take about one to two weeks to get a bank account, transfer money, get a car ect. Then its time to focus on my business. Its important that I get a job so I will be looking for one. This way I can use the money to cover my expenses and use the money I have saved up over the past year to start my business. I made a excel sheet of my living expenses, job income, and business income. This let me play around a bit to see what salary is better for me. Could I afford to not get a job? What if I only work 20 hours a week so I have more time to focus on my business, will that cost me a lot of money? Those are a few questions that this helped me answer. Its really make or break for me. I've made a life changing decision and there is no going back.

I'll update this as I go along. If you have an questions or feedback I would like to hear it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Rep Speed for DOING!!! :)

-Russ H.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Are you coming from the UK? Congrats on making the big move -- life is about to change! Be prepared ... July in AZ is deathly hot ... wait until winter time to pass your final judgment on AZ.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
We did something similar in 2006. We did not leave the country but we did move across the nation and landed in New Mexico. Welcome to your next adventure. The ride is awesome!

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
That's very brave!!! I'm not sure I could do it! Congrats on the new start!

I might do something like this in the future.. purely for my own improvement..

Jito

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
Congrats! What sort of business are you looking to get into? sounds like you have a knack for the car business....

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Congratulations on your move. I did a similar thing last year and am so glad I did.
Life is too short to have any regrets.

Will you have to get a Visa to live in the United States permanently? Have you checked out immigration laws?

Best of Success to you!!

nipsid

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 6, 2008
Phoenix
Thanks everyone. I haven't had time to reply to everyone individually, I've been so busy and a few things went wrong today and have taken hours to fix. I need to get to sleep but I'll be back soon, except in a different country :icon_super:

speedingpenguin

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Apr 19, 2009
If I were to move anywhere (from Massachusetts) it would be Florida or Arizona too, I think. Good luck with the move and welcome to America!

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Great story and :Welcome: to the US!!!

In fact we're in the process of making the same move(well Chicago to Phoenix) for very similar reasons, although we're looking in the Goodyear/Tolleson/Buckeye area as we're not really into the Scottsdale/Tempe scene(not to mention it's a lot more expensive to live out there :smxB:).

But your story goes to show what we're trying to accomplish and what is a great lesson for those starting off in the fastlane, in order to achieve what you really want you have to let go of everything that is holding you back, even if it is something material(car, motorcycle, house, etc) as it will give you the motivation to get it back and then some on your way to the top!

As far as getting a job, you've shown that you can live off the minimum so make sure that your business comes first and don't let anything get in the way, especially a full-time job, so make sure that you create a boundary and that whatever part-time job you get remains a part-time job at most.

terrycan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Apr 6, 2009
North Bend WA
Congratulations on your decision.

What you are doing takes strength and courage.

I understand your changes since I moved from the USA to Australia and back to the USA.

Please feel free to contact me thru my website to talk about international moves.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
My brother immigrated to the US from the UK a few years ago. As I recall it was a rather complex process regarding the Visa... and he had to have an established job here before they would even allow him to get a work permit... He married a girl here, and 2 years went by before they'd allow him to even have a green card. No idea when he'll become elligable for citizenship, but it is not movng quickly at all. My Dad ended up paying about $5k to an immigration attorney to help the process along, but that may have just been money down the toilet in the end, because I'm not sure what value he added, if any.

Am curious what type of Visa you got since you aren't looking for a job, but rather starting your own business?

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

nipsid

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 6, 2008
Phoenix
Sooo I'm in Phoenix!!!
It was so weird leaving my family and going to somewhere I have never been to before alone. I made a mistake and forgot to write down the address of my house so I had no clue were to send the taxi driver but because of that I got to see a bit of the place. It was such a weird thing to see the actual place I had looked at on google street maps. Anyway I dont regret anything. The place is beautiful and the people seem very friendly.

Rep Speed for DOING!!! :)

-Russ H.
Thanks!

Are you coming from the UK? Congrats on making the big move -- life is about to change! Be prepared ... July in AZ is deathly hot ... wait until winter time to pass your final judgment on AZ.
Yea its so depressing there I had to get out. Its not just the place but the mentality of the people. Yea I'm not looking forward to this month! Today wasnt bad, Phoenix looks awesome, it reminds me of the high thread you created. I've never had a feeling like that before when I landed.

We did something similar in 2006. We did not leave the country but we did move across the nation and landed in New Mexico. Welcome to your next adventure. The ride is awesome!
Thanks! I've just got to my house and I'll agree, its great so far.

That's very brave!!! I'm not sure I could do it! Congrats on the new start!

I might do something like this in the future.. purely for my own improvement..
You should if you have the opportunity. Its an experience that you will always remember.

Congrats! What sort of business are you looking to get into? sounds like you have a knack for the car business....
Its a service I am setting up to help business through the economy. I might post more details when I start but there are not a lot of people doing it so there are loads of niches.

Congratulations on your move. I did a similar thing last year and am so glad I did.
Life is too short to have any regrets.

Will you have to get a Visa to live in the United States permanently? Have you checked out immigration laws?

Best of Success to you!!
Exactly, I feel like I should have moved sooner. I'm a citizen so no problem with a visa. Where did you go to?

If I were to move anywhere (from Massachusetts) it would be Florida or Arizona too, I think. Good luck with the move and welcome to America!
Thanks, it was great when the guy at customes said welcome home to me.
Great story and :Welcome: to the US!!!

In fact we're in the process of making the same move(well Chicago to Phoenix) for very similar reasons, although we're looking in the Goodyear/Tolleson/Buckeye area as we're not really into the Scottsdale/Tempe scene(not to mention it's a lot more expensive to live out there :smxB:).

But your story goes to show what we're trying to accomplish and what is a great lesson for those starting off in the fastlane, in order to achieve what you really want you have to let go of everything that is holding you back, even if it is something material(car, motorcycle, house, etc) as it will give you the motivation to get it back and then some on your way to the top!

As far as getting a job, you've shown that you can live off the minimum so make sure that your business comes first and don't let anything get in the way, especially a full-time job, so make sure that you create a boundary and that whatever part-time job you get remains a part-time job at most.
Have you visited Phoenix before? I didnt and I love it so far. I knew I would not get another Lexus but now that I've had a taste I will be more motivated to work harder so I can have another, better car. Thats for the advice about a job, I think a part time job will be perfect.

Congratulations on your decision.

What you are doing takes strength and courage.

I understand your changes since I moved from the USA to Australia and back to the USA.

Please feel free to contact me thru my website to talk about international moves.
Thanks, its definitely a change. Is your websites in your sig, if it I will have a look or just post it up.

My brother immigrated to the US from the UK a few years ago. As I recall it was a rather complex process regarding the Visa... and he had to have an established job here before they would even allow him to get a work permit... He married a girl here, and 2 years went by before they'd allow him to even have a green card. No idea when he'll become elligable for citizenship, but it is not movng quickly at all. My Dad ended up paying about $5k to an immigration attorney to help the process along, but that may have just been money down the toilet in the end, because I'm not sure what value he added, if any.

Am curious what type of Visa you got since you aren't looking for a job, but rather starting your own business?

Cheers,

- Hakrjak
I'm a citizen so there is no worry there, I forgot you couldn't live here if you're not. I would've thought it would be easier going into the UK for a visa. It seems pretty impossible now since 9/11 trying to get in the US. Thats even crazy about marrige. Good luck to him in getting it. I'm sure it will just take time. It took my uncle 10 years to get his brother into the US.

TaxGuy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Apr 28, 2008
Goodyear, AZ
Sooo I'm in Phoenix!!!
Have you visited Phoenix before? I didnt and I love it so far. I knew I would not get another Lexus but now that I've had a taste I will be more motivated to work harder so I can have another, better car. Thats for the advice about a job, I think a part time job will be perfect.

Yes, in fact I've been there twice this year so far, once for B&P, the annual fastlane gathering named "Beer and Pancakes" after the :cheers: and :smx7: icons, although there were neither at the gathering, but definitely a lot of positive energy, networking and great ideas/success stories. Best of all, it looks like Scottsdale will be the permanent location for this so you'll have a great opportunity to meet fellow fastlaners :smxB:

The second time was a couple weeks back, my fiance and I were looking at houses in the areas mentioned above, my parents live in Goodyear, which has good and not-so-good areas, but for the most part is exactly the down to Earth area we want to live, not to mention the homes are DIRT cheap and you get a lot more bang for your buck than up here in Chicago.

While I know the Summers can be hell, the 90+ degrees with humidity that we're experiencing here is no picnic and I'll take 110 Summers over -20 Winters anyways :coolgleamA:

Not to mention the landscape is very inspiring, not only climbing through Popago Park, but all the biking/hiking trails are conducive to the outdoor life we want to live and while there's practically no water except for the Colorado River and water from the tap is disgusting, there are so many great places nearby- San Diego 6hrs, Vegas 6hrs, Mexico 3hrs, etc

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.