The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MMMMMM! 100% Exact Steps (now with more exactness!)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
Hello all and welcome to Sagemoney's fastlane extravaganza!

On a more serious note I've never been more excited to create a thread in my life. I am going to document my first excursion into entrepreneurship throughout this thread and hope that my eventual roadblocks and failures will help others on their path to freedom.

My story is similar to many here but with a few caveats, I've dropped out of college three times, been to jail for dumb shit, grew up sleeping on the floor and washing my clothes in the bathtub. As soon as I was old enough I've always had a slowlane job and was able to advance up the ladder quickly in most of them by just working my a$$ off. Which got me to where I am today making pretty good money at 26 but left feeling void and incomplete. I have all this energy but here I am wasting away working 8 hours and not providing anything to anyone. Most of my friends have got good factory jobs, buying new cars and clothes and complaining to me how much they hate their jobs and coworkers. I almost fell into the same trap buying 1600 sunglasses and clothes trying look wealthy when in reality I was trying to fill that void. One day I woke up and something snapped "I have to do this for 40 years and hope nothing bad happens so I can retire" "I have to sit through these endless meetings and fake smiles of my coworkers" "Two weeks out of F*cking 52 to myself and I should be grateful?"

I was being drained of all my power while those at the top grew plump, I could see the despair in the eyes of the older folks around me "Got my Retirement app going sage! just a 465 days! woot woot!" In my head I'm like "you've been waiting to get old?" One thing I learned early was if you just shut up the world will tell you exactly whats wrong with it and how to avoid those mistakes.

So I started searching how I could get escape, A post on Reddit lead me to TMF and I've been crawling the forum for the past week absorbing all this precious knowledge.

Now I'm ready to put it into action..

I've decided to try my hand at eCommerce, I've begun speaking with suppliers in asia but I would like to try and keep the product domestic. My google searches for suppliers here have yielded no results so I may be forced to use alibaba. If anyone has any tips finding domestic suppliers PM me. I may have to search a bit harder in @biophase and @Walter may threads.

Thanks again for reading and I will be making weekly updates or daily if something big happens

Let's get it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
March 22nd 2018:

I contacted the supplier and they let me know that all the changes I requested are possible, I am still awaiting her quote. After reading walter's thread I am a bit skeptical though and hope that they fully understand the changes I wanted. I tried to make it as clear as possible.

Still on the hunt for more than 2 potential suppliers but it seems limited mainly to china.

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
Doing more research and I see people are looking for more than just your traditional product.

I've decided to put a slight "twist" on something that's been around for ages but everyone's used at one time or another.

I don't want to reveal the domain name but I'm surprised it hasn't been bought yet gonna tally up the total costs over time in this thread of course.

domain name: 43 dollars 2 year lease.

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
March 23rd 2018

Just bought Walter Hayes book after having trouble sourcing and running into problems negotiating with an alibi manufacturer.

I must say this book is worth its weight in gold just for the preventative advice. I was en route to wasting a lot of money and potentially offending my chosen manufacturers.

I have a feeling that this will be the area of entrepreneurship I have the most disdain for. the language barriers, the time differential all of it makes a process that should be pretty simple a bit confusing. I can't wait to gain more experience so I can make this as fluid as possible.

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
March 25th

So the sample is finally on its way and man I'm excited! It will have all of my requested alterations and I hope the supplier can keep the quality up.

Compared to the other products out there(cheap) I wanted mine to give the impression of quality and something that people would love to show their friends and family.

I've learned a lot over these two weeks. Stopped playing PS4 for 9 hours a day and have been working out daily for two weeks managing to lose 5 pounds. After reading TMF it's like a switch came on, my mentality has shifted. I'm truly happy.

Now I'm working on getting my site setup although I may wait until I actually have some sales.

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
Quick update:

-I completely flipped from my original branding and decided upon something with much more scale and value to the customer, It will be more difficult but I'm prepared and as MJ said the opportunity is in the difficulty :) This will be the crux of my focus. No more deviations I'm sticking with this one for the long haul!

-I decided on the name for the brand: Mildred's strength XXX(XXX denotes the name of the product) in memory of my grandmother, It's a product I would see her having in her home and every purchase will have a donation go toward annihilating heinous disease that cut her life short.

-I am getting the logo created using fiverr.com, I had no idea about this until I read through some of the INSIDERS gold threads. So much knowledge in that place, I was skeptical buying the pass at first but it's paid off tremendously.

- Tomorrow i'm going to begin going through @Fox recommendation for the HTML/CSS class so I can begin designing the website.

Last thing:

It's funny how the specter of doubt loves to seep into your mind, trying to corrupt the progress you've made or make you stop, telling me "Yo sage cut it out bro, this ain't you man. Cut the PS4 back on, grab the kush, relax". I'm a realist and I know that in the creation of this product it doesn't guarantee people will like it or want it even with added value. It's not gonna deter me from trying my hardest to make it better than everyone else's, and if this fails so be it. Because the monetary value lost pales in comparison to the knowledge I've gained, nothings more valuable.

To answer your inquiry above: I just seen an opportunity to create a better product in this niche. Vague I know but copycats and whatnot prevent me from saying more. I may turn this into an "exact steps" guide but I'll have MJ move it to the inside.

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
April 5th 2018

So the sample is in and the verdict is.....

the product looks exactly as I requested!!! All the adjustments were made to a T. My only caveat is that it the print needs to look a tad bit more elegant. I am really excited, partially because my thoughts actually materialized and because I actually took ACTION to make it a reality.

Not gonna lie i'm ecstatic, but there are some nagging doubts in my head, one being is did I make the product look this way because I like it? because the market may be content with a similar version(smaller, cuter etc) and find my adjustments completely unnecessary or undesirable.

And for that reason I will be posting exact steps and my exact product(The product was also posted on the forum anyway just gotta look) So it can be scrutinized, denigrated, complimented etc. I don't have any in depth business knowledge to contribute to the forum. So I will be using this thread as a way to showcase execution and action. And hopefully those who are on the fence about becoming an entrepreneur in even the smallest capacity will make the leap. Those of you who copy me that's cool, But just remember you're doing things for all the wrong reasons but I still wish you success. Hell even I'm jumping into a relatively saturated niche.

So in my next post tonight I will be documenting what channel I'm selling on, how I added value to the product, my target market, The branding I am using and whatever else I can't think of right now. So I hope you all will enjoy and come to gain tremendous value from this thread.

Look forward to helping y'all :)

PS: is there anyway to change my thread name?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
the product looks exactly as I requested!!! All the adjustments were made to a T. My only caveat is that it the print needs to look a tad bit more elegant. I am really excited, partially because my thoughts actually materialized and because I actually took ACTION to make it a reality.

Congrats! Very exciting!

PS: is there anyway to change my thread name?

Yes, let me know.

Sagemoney

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Mar 12, 2018
Michigan
HEY!
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ind-a-product-to-sell-on-amazon.78053/page-14
I heard some people wanted some EXACT STEPS! WELL ALRIGHTY!

Now bear with me, I just began about a month ago and am still learning the sourcing process as well as correct terminology, If I make mistakes please feel free to correct me.

A few weeks ago I read TMF and my perception of life was changed completely. I came to the forum and began engorging myself with every delicious gold thread imaginable. A couple days after becoming obese I decided I had to take it to the next level and became an INSIDERS. It was within there that the truth was revealed, I stumbled upon @biophase threads on the inside and outside and decided to make the leap.

For the next 8 days I researched all day for a product to sell, looking at every item in my house, at work, in my coworkers offices, gas station etc. I posted to the thread

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/i-will-help-you-find-a-product-to-sell-on-amazon.78053

multiple times until I found a product I thought was pretty good. I was initially waiting for biophase's OK but said screw it i'm gonna do this, If I fail I hope someone can learn from my mistakes. Good thing is bio came back and said it's decent and named some improvements he would make.

The product I am going to be selling is....

SHADOW BOX FRAMES!

Cool, Now i feel more confident in my decision, So now it's time to find a supplier and get the improvements made. Thing is I had no idea about sourcing, I found @Walter Hay thread and read through it I also bought his book which helped tremendously. Plus the dude always pops in here and there like a sourcing angel and helps guide your way.

For a few days, I went back and forth with the supplier using walter's tips(thanks again I was able to get the MOQ down and the price as well) Negotiations were pretty simple and the contact spoke English well. During this process I was brainstorming on how could I make this a brand? What kind of story would I have? How can I provide value to the world? What channel should I sell this on? is a website necessary?

Then it hit me...(incoming sob story kinda)

My grandmother recently passed away from dementia/alzheimers, and it took a massive toll on my family. During the duration of the disease as her memory faded and bouts of aggression became more frequent. Some of the things that would help calm her was music and looking at photos of her family and friends.

I had my brand and I had my cause. I hit up fiverr.com and got a logo made.
Option1 (1).jpg
Mildred's memory photo frames, A small photo frame company that donates 5% of proceeds to the Alzheimer's foundation. Not alot of companies donate to Alzheimer's foundations so I knew I could help in some way.

I know it may not be a good idea to have a "personal connection" to the product especially one in such a crowded market but I feel that's the driving force for why it will be successful.

So with the brand done, I set off to acquire the domain name and email from namecheap.com(thanks to many posters for recommending this). I went back and forth deciding between amazon and etsy, I went with etsy after researching there and seeing some of the same complaints on amazon.

After that I gave the supplier my adjustments and waited for the sample to arrive.
and luckily it came today :). IMAG0023.jpg

As mentioned above I hate the way the font came out and will be making a change to it immediately. Aside from that everything else is perfect.

The changes I made to the product were to alleviate all the problems everyone was complaining about on amazon. 1st: I had them make the slot larger, this lets the customer put basically whatever in the frame(coins, tickets, Pictures, receipts from vacations etc). 2nd: I had them make the front acrylic glass so no more breaking during shipping. 3rd: I made the box larger to accommodate more items. 4th: I had them make the back sturdier by making the wood thicker. and lastly I changed the background to make it more "homely" I guess. The picture is interchangeable so that was unexpected value(customization) and the frame can be hung on a wall.

I will go into pricing and strategy tomorrow because I have work in the AM, but to sum up today's post. I hopefully showed you all how to find a product, how to source it, how to brand it, and also how to add value to it. Shoutout to MJ DeMarco, biophase, JAJT, Walter Hay, The ice cream guy, Sinister lex, and basically every gold thread on this forum. If you feel my thread didn't serve it's purpose let me know.

But I will let you know this, The EXACT STEPS are literally on this site. not to become a millionaire overnight, but the mentality, the perseverance, the websites, how to price, how to add value, how to create a brand, how to get ice cream etc.

Once again I hope this can spur someone on the fence to just take a chance. The worst that can happen is you learn a lesson. Money is never wasted when it's used to acquire knowledge and everything I've learned will help me for years to come.

Thanks and talk to you guys tomorrow.

PS: there is a gold thread similar to this one. I just wanted to reveal what i was selling and how I am going to sell it.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
It's great to see what progress you have made after a bad start in life and since discovering from MJ's book that there is a better way than ordinary.

I hope you are not thinking of changing the font on your logo, because it is excellent.

I feel as though I haven't done all that much to help your effort, so I have just now sent you a free copy of my labeling book. It might help you with branding.

Walter

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
HEY!
I heard some people wanted some EXACT STEPS! WELL ALRIGHTY!

Now bear with me, I just began about a month ago and am still learning the sourcing process as well as correct terminology, If I make mistakes please feel free to correct me.

A few weeks ago I read TMF and my perception of life was changed completely. I came to the forum and began engorging myself with every delicious gold thread imaginable. A couple days after becoming obese I decided I had to take it to the next level and became an INSIDERS. It was within there that the truth was revealed, I stumbled upon @biophase threads on the inside and outside and decided to make the leap.

For the next 8 days I researched all day for a product to sell, looking at every item in my house, at work, in my coworkers offices, gas station etc. I posted to the thread

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/i-will-help-you-find-a-product-to-sell-on-amazon.78053

multiple times until I found a product I thought was pretty good. I was initially waiting for biophase's OK but said screw it i'm gonna do this, If I fail I hope someone can learn from my mistakes. Good thing is bio came back and said it's decent and named some improvements he would make.

The product I am going to be selling is....

SHADOW BOX FRAMES!

Cool, Now i feel more confident in my decision, So now it's time to find a supplier and get the improvements made. Thing is I had no idea about sourcing, I found @Walter Hay thread and read through it I also bought his book which helped tremendously. Plus the dude always pops in here and there like a sourcing angel and helps guide your way.

For a few days, I went back and forth with the supplier using walter's tips(thanks again I was able to get the MOQ down and the price as well) Negotiations were pretty simple and the contact spoke English well. During this process I was brainstorming on how could I make this a brand? What kind of story would I have? How can I provide value to the world? What channel should I sell this on? is a website necessary?

Then it hit me...(incoming sob story kinda)

My grandmother recently passed away from dementia/alzheimers, and it took a massive toll on my family. During the duration of the disease as her memory faded and bouts of aggression became more frequent. Some of the things that would help calm her was music and looking at photos of her family and friends.

I had my brand and I had my cause. I hit up fiverr.com and got a logo made.
View attachment 19012
Mildred's memory photo frames, A small photo frame company that donates 5% of proceeds to the Alzheimer's foundation. Not alot of companies donate to Alzheimer's foundations so I knew I could help in some way.

I know it may not be a good idea to have a "personal connection" to the product especially one in such a crowded market but I feel that's the driving force for why it will be successful.

So with the brand done, I set off to acquire the domain name and email from namecheap.com(thanks to many posters for recommending this). I went back and forth deciding between amazon and etsy, I went with etsy after researching there and seeing some of the same complaints on amazon.

After that I gave the supplier my adjustments and waited for the sample to arrive.
and luckily it came today :). View attachment 19013

As mentioned above I hate the way the font came out and will be making a change to it immediately. Aside from that everything else is perfect.

The changes I made to the product were to alleviate all the problems everyone was complaining about on amazon. 1st: I had them make the slot larger, this lets the customer put basically whatever in the frame(coins, tickets, Pictures, receipts from vacations etc). 2nd: I had them make the front acrylic glass so no more breaking during shipping. 3rd: I made the box larger to accommodate more items. 4th: I had them make the back sturdier by making the wood thicker. and lastly I changed the background to make it more "homely" I guess. The picture is interchangeable so that was unexpected value(customization) and the frame can be hung on a wall.

I will go into pricing and strategy tomorrow because I have work in the AM, but to sum up today's post. I hopefully showed you all how to find a product, how to source it, how to brand it, and also how to add value to it. Shoutout to MJ DeMarco, biophase, JAJT, Walter Hay, The ice cream guy, Sinister lex, and basically every gold thread on this forum. If you feel my thread didn't serve it's purpose let me know.

But I will let you know this, The EXACT STEPS are literally on this site. not to become a millionaire overnight, but the mentality, the perseverance, the websites, how to price, how to add value, how to create a brand, how to get ice cream etc.

Once again I hope this can spur someone on the fence to just take a chance. The worst that can happen is you learn a lesson. Money is never wasted when it's used to acquire knowledge and everything I've learned will help me for years to come.

Thanks and talk to you guys tomorrow.

PS: there is a gold thread similar to this one. I just wanted to reveal what i was selling and how I am going to sell it.

Love your story man - love your product - love your devotion to your grandmother. You are a true success story already!

You have a great writing style. Looking forward to hearing about your continued *first* success! (I know there will be many more!)

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
- Tomorrow i'm going to begin going through @Fox recommendation for the HTML/CSS class so I can begin designing the website.

One important recommendation I have for you is to DROP the idea of doing your own website.

You can assemble one like lego blocks using Wordpress. Fast - easy - impressive - and cheap.

I have done the coding a long time ago, because I had very limited options. It's not easy. And it is damn boring.

You're building a business. Do that. You need a car? What would you do? Just buy it and use it. Build it to save money? Are you crazy? I rest my case.

ay47

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 29, 2018
Wow the logo looks awesome! Would you mind sharing who you used in fiverr? I think using the same font for your frame's design would be good idea

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
Great story and great execution! Thanks for sharing all the details. Rooting for you, keep us updated!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.